• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hello from the New Player House

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I should have written this for ages but the place keeps me busy.

So, im Mim Foxglove, and a bunch of other Foxglove ladies. Ive been around for thirteen years soon. Ive always been interested in helping new players to start up . Minerva Foxglove was in Lord Paidrics guild , Haven Helpers (HLP) from day one till she was the only one left after Paidric dissapered. Then the work became too much. So summer 2011 I rebuild my Trinsic gate house so I could operate from there. I saved the remaining donations of armour pieces from Paidrics keep and got me a storehouse of my own.

I believe new players nowdays easily get discouraged and frustrated, as the game is so complexed and veterans have plenty of things that seems unreachable. They dont know where to find fansites and if they do, its so much reading its insane. New players most often are eager to play, and dont want to spend weeks of reading . The guides will be great a bit later, but from start you need the very basics and some gear that makes training more effective.

So this is what I did: I opened a small shop where people can buy very cheap essential equipment . Armour and weapons that are focused on training new characters. Low weight, usable by trial accounts , with good resists and adding stats and DI. Not what an experiences player go for. I dont want to compete with normal shops. LRC for the mages and deacent resists. Som mana sewed in but no top gear. Spellbook. This is as I cant catch everyone and some new people want to earn what they get and here they can afford it. I make about the same armour sets to give away for free to every new or returning player that doesnt have anything.

The whole bottom floor is littered with small info books named "Repairs", "Your first House", "Insurance" "The Tamer"etc, around 50 books. Written by me and other veteran players of Europa. Its no descriptions how to make the perfect template for everything and win UO. Its just to be aware of what options we have , how to awoid disasters and to give inspiration.
Being a HLPer makes I have heard all the questions new players have hundreds of times and I went from there.

The house has dye tubs for cloth and armour, some runebooks and teleporter to RAA library. Crystal teleporters, lockpick chests, Luck Sculpture, freebies etc. I try to meet as many as possible and greet them to UO and give basic equipment. IDOCers use to turn in boats, deco and house placement tools , and I get donations from afew crafters as well. The most awesome armour I even get from a mongbat!:wink: Spending time talking seems very aprecheated.

I mine, hunt leather, fill bods to be able to do this. Meaning I cant spend as much time in the house as I should want to. But If you find lost newcomers out there, and dont have time or recources to give a hand, maybe you could direct them to my place? Just south of Trinsic Moongate. I place books on the ground most days but they are staying all from 1 min to 20, so I dont seal them . Sometimes when I check back on the book , its there on the same tile but its now a gold sellers book , not mine. I find most people in help chat , but all dont know how to use it.

I just wanted to tell what my place is like and where it is if you want to help newcomers and returning people to get there.. Sorry if its too long to read.

Also thanks to people that helps me like Wanda and Phineas, T hunter , Lien Ragus and even new players that want to give back something. Last but sure not least the little mongbat that sneaks up to my post box ever so often!

Lien Ragus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I d like to take the opportunity of your Post Minerva to warmly hug you for all the work you are investing for the community good.

I m meeting here and then new or returning customers wearing the suit you have made them with care and application. I also meet ppl
at Raa shop who really appreciate your investment. I m more on a casual help form atm because of real constraints but i d love to
participate more actively. Not only the idea is brilliant and surely meets the needs of young/returning players but you did a great job
with your house !!

If i was about to start UO (and yes they are still some in that situation) i would certainly be amazed by the amount of work you've made...

Thanks again Minerva in my name and the name of many other people for a great job !!

Congrats :rolleyes:

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The kindness and helping of our young and returning players, by Minerva and her other alter-egos, as well as others that go unnamed, is what makes Europa great

Peelyposter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's great to see such dedication to helping new and returning players. I haven't played UO since the Samurai Empire days and wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do if I came back, but if I ever find the time and pluck up the courage, I'll be sure to pay a visit to the New Player House :)

Dimitroff

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The last post in this thread is from October 2013, though Lady Foxglove deserves much more.
I would like to thank you, My Lady, for helping me during my first days in Europa shard.
Every shard in UO should have people like you.

Thank you.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yup, daily :D
you'll find them among the group that meets daily at WBB. 6 -7pm UK

Lombakpeder

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
have to say something ;

I am returning player uo and i wanna play original server it was good choice imet amazing people in europa server Minerva Molly Amini meh icant say allof them but have to say something as i say you guys did really good work marks runebooks notes items reg stuffs ...... to many time spent as i see at new player house and raa guld shop and you guys all of them wellcome new players its really amazing .

I am in HLP guild now because if i see some one needs help if ican help i will help thats my point.

Btw sory for grammer just ignore it please :=)

Last thing;

I'm happy to be here and meet you amazing people... hahha kikaru iam dead can u res me iam in heaven dungeun :p

Thx for everything.

sel83

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
These folks were a great aid to me when I returned, got me the necessary gear to start up and now im up and running pretty well.

So now I want to give something back and I was wondering, Is it possible to place a pet vendor in the new player house? I could provide horses, beetles etc. for new players this way, been already doing it but only able to if I happen to meet a new player.

-Sidron Dumont, D'arc Dumont, John Bear

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No sorry only place for pet vendors is Magincia stalls. There are already a cheap vendor good for new players , the probs for them is to know about that and find it..

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You mean you *don't* have a rune to Piper's stall locked down at the NPH?

:facepalm:

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It happens that it change location. Idea is good thou. Just normally I follow them there and help them buy it. Hmm must think of something..Thanks Barian!

Tamera Wyrma

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi
Im thinking of returning o UO after years of absence - Question is if Europa is still alive? When i quit after many many years of playing (10 something years) Europa server was pretty dead. How is it nowadays?
I remember the Foxglove name but not much else - Spent alot of time chasing artifacts and using my thief to get "rare items".

My tamer char was/is called Tamera Wyrma but that and my thiefs name Sonja is really all i can remember ;(

I miss the game and have been for many years now - Was a special "spirit" in this old game that i never found in any other game i tried - Cursed be WOW ie. :)

If i retrieve and pay for my old account will i be able to find my old chars or is all that lost after 5+ years?
I hope someone see this and will reply.

- Lady Tamera Wyrma
AKA Sonja.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi
Im thinking of returning o UO after years of absence - Question is if Europa is still alive? When i quit after many many years of playing (10 something years) Europa server was pretty dead. How is it nowadays?
I remember the Foxglove name but not much else - Spent alot of time chasing artifacts and using my thief to get "rare items".

My tamer char was/is called Tamera Wyrma but that and my thiefs name Sonja is really all i can remember ;(

I miss the game and have been for many years now - Was a special "spirit" in this old game that i never found in any other game i tried - Cursed be WOW ie. :)

If i retrieve and pay for my old account will i be able to find my old chars or is all that lost after 5+ years?
I hope someone see this and will reply.

- Lady Tamera Wyrma
AKA Sonja.

Well it probably isn't any livelier but of one thing you can be sure, the 'spirit' of which you speak is live and well and living on Europa.
I have never left, so I am not sure quite what you get when you renew, but afaik your characters and the contents of your bankbox come with you on return. I will leave it to someone with definite knowledge to state exactly what you get.

If you do come back I recommend that you try Brit Bank between 6 and 7pm ANY and EVERY day and attend the daily meetings held there for all players. Help and advice of all kinds is available.

Tamera Wyrma

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Sounds like great fun at the bank :)
Also sounds great to still have the contents in the bank all tho i will surely be sad to see all my stuff gone from houses etc ;(
Thats what u get from leaving ;)

Thx for info

Morgy123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
well i started in fel minoc 1999 as i wanted to mine as friend of me told me it was good money to start playing
i always belived theres enuf gold to be had from mining or gathering leather so evry time i see some begging for gold i advice them to go mining or gather leather
free gold always go cheap and gold you worked for always seem to stick with you (my advice)

dont need any armor or any thing for mining and low skills needed for hunting bulls and so for leather

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good for you Morgy 123. I started feb 1 2000, with my sons. Fel Trinsic, as miner. No guard zone , no huge complicated game. Pretty weak owerland monsters . No competition from other comp games of the same kind. No other games to compare with. Loads of people, so if half of them quitted in frustration it didnt matter. It looks a bit different today dont you think? All new people has experience of other games and used to be led by hand from start. Why subscribe to a game that makes you feel completely lost ? Not much instructions , the few people sitting in castles , complete silence if you ask to join a guild?
We need all the people we can get!
We cant offer them much help from the game , modern graphics, account management that isnt offputting etc. But we can show our newcomers they are welcome and that we are no elite looking at them from above. Give some needful things for the first character, at New Player House, and as much info they want at our bank meets in the evening. Plus seeing what the community feel is like. Our meetings has been ongoing for between one and two years and many people hesitant to submit for real, or what shard to chose, stayed with us due to the meetings and the welcoming they got here.
People still can make it on their own if they have played before. We dont mind at all. Some new people want to do it but they use to change their mind after a few days . Some players we caught said they were about to log out for the last time right when we found them. So as long as we find this meaningful we will stick to it!

MadSeven

Visitor
Whoa......you.....you are still...here??? Hey all.....MadSeven here, considering returning to UO....:) I have already requested help reinstating my account from support, but I see many worrying posts about re-enabling old accounts....will it work??
I am glad to see Europa is still alive, I hope it is alive enough for my tastes..Of course my hoarded stuff will be gone, but who knows, maybe I will have a nice hut again in a few months...Do people still run shops? Are people still going for those...instances.....with the neon rares?? :D

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whoa......you.....you are still...here??? Hey all.....MadSeven here, considering returning to UO....:) I have already requested help reinstating my account from support, but I see many worrying posts about re-enabling old accounts....will it work??
I am glad to see Europa is still alive, I hope it is alive enough for my tastes..Of course my hoarded crap will be gone, but who knows, maybe I will have a nice hut again in a few months...Do people still run shops? Are people still going for those...instances.....with the neon rares?? :D
Well if you come back your best bet is to come to West Brit bank on any day between 6 and 7 pm where there is a daily meeting where questions may be answered. The meeting is specifically for new and returning players.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a returning player, came back a couple of weeks ago after 4 years, lost lots in the idoc of my house but am still functional and rich :p enough that I don't need free equipment.

I still thank you SO very much for this wonderful initiative as I made use of your house to retrain my lockpicking skill up to 70. Had left it on a stone so it was lost and of course I didn't have any low level locked chests and my crafter is GM.
Don't know how I would have managed without your training chests !
Also will take advantage of the runbooks for the last part of my training as I've lost those also.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know !
I have a tamer and a crafter that are 100% operational even if I lack the materials yet :p (no alchemy atm but I have inscription so runebooks and the like ).

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Why not pop along to the meetings at Brit Bank at 6pm UK time. Come and join us in coffee, wine, pizza or whatever delights are handed out.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I plan on doing it but every time real life comes along and ... 6PM UK is dinner time here, and I often have people coming lately ... Guests are nice and a pain all in one :p
Still one day I'll manage ! Hopefully one day soon :D

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I still thank you SO very much for this wonderful initiative as I made use of your house to retrain my lockpicking skill up to 70. Had left it on a stone so it was lost and of course I didn't have any low level locked chests and my crafter is GM.
Don't know how I would have managed without your training chests !
Also will take advantage of the runbooks for the last part of my training as I've lost those also.
I agree 100% with this! Thank you so much for the New Player House and it's locked boxes! I don't know what I would have done without them. The Foxglove family is one of the reasons that Europa is still a nice place to be.

Beeble

Journeyman
I would like to also join the comments on this.
The new player or returning player, in fact even the visiting player experience on Europa is so amazing thanks to Minerva and also the others (Keth, Q, bali, dimi, Tom to name a few) . If you turn up at 6 in Britannia bank , you'll be welcomed by a band of friendly banter, they can help out with any questions, start you off with new player gear if needed, or just chill and talk about in game or outta game things.

They have great social group in game and here on stratics. They don't ask for anything in return.

So if your considering returning, joining or you've been wandering Europa alone thinking it's a bit quiet. Try showing up at 6 and see what you get.

Enjoy

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Hi,
I was in the new player house last week or so, but seemed mostly empty.
Are there any changes going on?

kalexpor

Adventurer
Hi,
i decided to be quiet in game and in this stratics for a while.
but, i have to give information about the new player house, because i think the new player house is very meaningful.

also i, visited the new player house for sharing my some items, last week.
at that time, though were locked, there were so many boxes that is fully filled with something.
and the vendor in the house, was selling goods.
so, i felt that the new player house is very active, now.

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,
Be sure to try to open every single container you come by, most come with books and so on.
It seems I'm never too old for the new player house.. I keep visiting if for lockpicking a lot.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Be sure to try to open every single container you come by, most come with books and so on.
It seems I'm never too old for the new player house.. I keep visiting if for lockpicking a lot.
Glad you reminded me of it. I have a character with 95 lockpicking and need to GM it.