• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Healing] Healing vs. Life Leech for a Dexer....

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed that most templates tend to prefer Life Leeching as a source to stay alive for their Dexer Template...

Is it really THAT better as compared to using Healing and Parrying as a way to stay alive ?

I have been trying to find Guides and Templates Building example working around a Temlate using Healing, Anatomy and Parrying together with maximizing Hit Point Regeneration (Cap is 18), the First Aid Belt and Enhanced Bandages for the healing Bonus but, unless I was poor in my searching, I could not come up with anything.....

So, my Question to the Expert Dexers is, is it worth and Competitive to build a "Tanking" Melee Template revolving around Healing as a way to stay alive, also against multiple Attackers (PvM), or there is no Healing+Anatomy+Parrying set up which could be competitive versus the Life Leeching Templates ?

One thing that particularly bothers me about entertaining the idea of an Healing+Anatomy+Parrying Tanking Template, is where the UOGuide Healing page (Healing - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia) mentions :

Interruption will occur if the healer is hit for more than 26 damage by a monster or more than 19 damage by another player. The amount of damage healed will be reduced by 35% per interruption.
Considering that with Life Leeching ways such interruption or points healed reduction does not happen, does this mean that Healing+Anatomy+Parrying as a way to stay Alive, against High End creatures, is fundamentally "flawed" and can never ever be "as effective" as Life Leech as a method to stay alive ?

Has any UO Dexer found a Template and gear setup using Healing+Anatomy+Parrying and 18 Hit Point Regeneration that can be competitive versus the Life Leech Templates ?

Also, according to UO Stratics - Healing Skill , the Healing Speed Formula is

Healing Self: 11 - (Dexterity / 20).
Healing Others: 4 - (Dexterity / 60).

Now, it mentions Dexterity, NOT Stamina.....

The CAP on Dexterity is 150 YET, the Table mentions as MAX Dexterity possible, the Range 140-159....

What gives ?

Yes, there do are Stamina Increase Items but they are for Stamina, NOT for Dexterity....

So, how is it possible to increase one's own Dexterity "beyond" the 150 Dexterity CAP in order to increase the speed at which heals can be done ?

And, if this is possible, what is the actually maximum speed that one can reach to heal oneself or others ?

Thanks !

P.S. Often, for combat comparisons, there is a DPS (Damage per Second) Data thrown around.... is there a similar thing quantifiable in UO about health healed ?

That is, is there a way to see the HPS (Healed per Second) healed points that a character can heal using this or that other way of healing so to more easily figure out what would be the most effective healing Template to heal oneself ?

Last edited:

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dex is hard capped at 150, no way around it.
I assume you want a template without necro ?
It is possible to solo a lot of high end stuff without the need for vamp form, however using life leech on a weapon does make it a lot easier.
I solo most champs on a bushido-warrior with healing skill and no necro, and no life leech weapons, its all about tactics.
Hpr 18 is not really worth it, takes too long for the healing to kick in, on a pvp char its another story.
Template i use looks something like this.
120 swords
100 bushido
100 tact
100 ana
100 heal
120 resist
100 parry

You might wanna have a look at my AMC(Archer, Mace, Chiv) template, no parry but similar tactics.
it looks like this
120 archery
120 mace
100 chiv
120 resist
100 tact
100 ana
100 heal

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So, my Question to the Expert Dexers is, is it worth and Competitive to build a "Tanking" Melee Template revolving around Healing as a way to stay alive, also against multiple Attackers (PvM), or there is no Healing+Anatomy+Parrying set up which could be competitive versus the Life Leeching Templates ?
In my opinion it is very worth it. It is very fair to say that the 'sampire' template is the most powerful for most encounters as the life leech needs no maintenance and with the likes of champ spawns there are always multiple targets to leech from and the heals are instant. The healing skill for the likes of champ spawns, whilst possible, is just too slow to rely on alone.

However there are a number of encounters where a parry/heal combo beats life leech templates hands down. Those times generally involve the mobs in question having tainted life force or similar buffs. Some examples of this are Clockwork Exodus, Scalis, Corgul and some of the Blackthorn captains to name but a few.
Other situations are where the target mob is simply incredibly hard to hit, if you are not hitting, your not leeching life and will die quickly. Healing can serve as a massive backup to life leech on your weapon in those circumstances for example.

An excellent example of the above situations is with the variety of Blackthorns captains. The captains are a walk in the park with a parry/healer and waaaaay faster than any other template including tamers.
The Macers, Swordsmen and Fencers can be on occasion, incredibly difficult to hit consistently and its not uncommon for them to 2-3 hit kill you. Healing is invaluable in this circumstance, life leech of course helps but you wont stay alive with life leech alone and you will be off screening every few seconds.
Assassins and Necromancers have the tainted life force aura, the only way to stay alive is with healing unless of course you have a friend with you.

The encounters that suit a parry/healer template are far fewer but when it fits, it is incredibly powerful!

My own personal Tank template which I use to farm Blackthorns is as follows and deals with all captains with relative ease, also sounds like these new Shrine encounters may favour this template also, will wait and see on that one.

Anatomy 110
Chivalry 110
Healing 110
Mace Fighting 120
Parry 110 (+10 on jewels)
Resist 60
Tactics 110

I could adjust the resist down a bit but I am comfortable with it at 60. Reason for this is to prevent me from one shoting myself if I get Evil Omen on me and nothing more. With Zero resist I was dieng instantly to the Blackthorn Necros with Evil Omen.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Look up a Dragoon. Pretty much the same temp as first responder said. It works excellent, even in basic imbued gear.i prefer it over a sampire because I lag, and healing skill saves me from dying a lot. Even if you don't, it's still my favorite all around char template.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If you ain't going sampire, have healing and life leech on your weapon. And back up weapons with useful mods other than hit life leech for mobs with tainted aura.
You will be one tough fellow to kill in PVM.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's the char i use for soloing Blackthorn's Captains.
120 Macing
GM Tact
GM Anat
GM Parry
GM Resist
GM Healing
GM Chiv

I'll use a Hit Fatigue wep to drop the Captain down to 0% Stamina, and that in combination with the -60% SSI debuff from Stagger will neuter even the heaviest hitting Captains. Once they're down to 0% Stamina, i'll switch to a 70% Hit Lightning Wep to kill them with. When i'm duoing the Captains with a Fencer, i don't even have to use Hit Fatigue, the Fencer can use Pierce three times to drop the Captain down to 0% Stamina, as we cross heal each other. This also works on bosses like Exodus.
Since my Macer actually uses Shields, the new Barbed Whips are a godsend since they're the only 1H WW Wep that Macing can get, good for clearing out the spawn to make a Captain vulnerable.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's the char i use for soloing Blackthorn's Captains.
120 Macing
GM Tact
GM Anat
GM Parry
GM Resist
GM Healing
GM Chiv

I'll use a Hit Fatigue wep to drop the Captain down to 0% Stamina, and that in combination with the -60% SSI debuff from Stagger will neuter even the heaviest hitting Captains. Once they're down to 0% Stamina, i'll switch to a 70% Hit Lightning Wep to kill them with. When i'm duoing the Captains with a Fencer, i don't even have to use Hit Fatigue, the Fencer can use Pierce three times to drop the Captain down to 0% Stamina, as we cross heal each other. This also works on bosses like Exodus.
Since my Macer actually uses Shields, the new Barbed Whips are a godsend since they're the only 1H WW Wep that Macing can get, good for clearing out the spawn to make a Captain vulnerable.
@PlayerSkillFTW

Interesting ....

Do you have any advice on how to better Craft a Whip ?

The particular advantage is only for Macing, or is there any special which Whips come with that also Fencing and Swordsmanship can take advantage of ?

In such a case, what Properties and Enhancements could be more advisable to do for each of the 3 Whips ?

Thanks !

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I craft my Whips then reforge for 100% Element, then PoF them to 255 Dur and imbue them. 100% Fire is imbued to Repond, Undead, Arachnid, or Fey Slayer, 100% Cold gets imbued to Reptile Slayer, and 100% Energy gets imbued to Demon Slayer. I then imbue max HML/HSL/Hit Area (which corresponds to the Whip's Element) onto them. I'll use a Slayer Whip that corresponds to the spawn around the Captain, and run into them and start Whirlwind them down, if the spawn isn't something crazy like Bone Daemons.
Barbed Whips are the only 1H WW wep for Macing, and Spiked Whips are the only 1H WW wep for Fencing. Spiked Whips also get Armor Pierce, which is semi-useful. Swords gets Bladed Whips that are a 1H WW wep, but Swords already has a 1H WW wep in the Radiant Scimitar.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use both healing and life leech. Depending on Healing skill it can take up to 3 seconds to get the heal off which can also be interrupted if hit. With HLL there is no wait time and it never is inturrupted so you will constantly gain health while waiting for the heal to actually go off.