• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Having another issue downloading patch.

Irish Red Cap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
This is a slightly strange issue. After the #2 June 22 patch I loaded up the launcher and managed to get into the game. After loading I noticed that the buildings were all purple and the ground was glowing white everywhere.

I could still see NPCs, talk to them, sell/buy and check all my side-bar options. I could see monsters as well. However, I figured I just loaded up to quickly while having another program running so I decided to close both and just restart Project Gorgon.

For some reason the launcher wanted to download yet another file with the patch (despite patching the second patch already). It gets up to 100% then gives me a message at the bottom.

"Cannot save to sharedassets4.assets- Out of memory".

This is strange cause it didn't have the problem before and it doesn't create a crash folder like it used to instead the message is just in red at the bottom of the launcher. The 1 file I'm having issues downloading is 212 MB and it's the only file I'm missing according to the launcher.

I went and checked the project gorgon folder created in locallow where it all saves and I noticed for some reason the sharedasses4.assets isn't even within the folder. Not sure what might have happened but I'd appreciate some help.

Going to upload a screen shot since it won't given me a crash report. out of memory.png

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Hm. Normally when the launcher actually runs out of memory, it catastrophically fails because it can't even allocate enough memory to tell you it's out of memory. (That's Unity's memory-handling for you: not very good.) But in this case it tried to allocate a bunch of memory and failed, but you clearly had lots of memory. So my guess is that it was trying to allocate too large of a chunk of memory, and it would do that if the file it downloaded was corrupt. That should never happen since they are downloaded via TCP, but it can still happen sometimes.

The files are downloaded via Unity's WWW cache before being stored onto your hard drive. So your OS probably thinks it already has a copy of the file and gives the program this corrupt cached copy immediately, causing the crash. That's my hypothesis anyway.

Please head here and clear the cache for Project Gorgon: http://webplayer.unity3d.com/setup/ and let me know if that helps! (As a second step, you could delete the whole directory that the launcher says it's downloading to, make it download everything again, after clearing that cache.)

Noldor

Knight, Order of the Bug Hunters
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only 118mb from Project: Gorgon in the Unity cache...which really isn't much but then I haven't explored/done much yet. I remember Family Guy Online was storing about 1.2gb in the Unity cache. And currently something named "jumpstart" (which I think was from the Earthlock: Festival of Magic alpha) has 920mb in there! City of Steam only uses 15mb but their code is rather tight...1-2 mb per dungeon.

Thanks, I lost that link to clear out the Unity cache! -)

TQQdles™

Irish Red Cap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Tried clearing Unity cache. Tried redownloading the entire game, including deleting the entire Project Gorgon and Unity folder from LocalLow. Still having the same Issue. It's just 1 file that is 211 MB large I don't see how something like that could request more than 2Gb of Ram just to download. Is there any other possible fix?

Just a mention, before the PvP patch was implemented when the servers were being fooled around with I was able to log in for a little bit but then couldn't after the patch.

Irish Red Cap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Ok... well I just opened up like 6 projectgorgon.exe's and just let them all run. 5 of them failed but the 6th worked. Logged me in alright, i'll see if this continues to work. Might be the only way I can get through the bottleneck of memory.