• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Have dupes, scripting/etc left uo yet?

H

hijii

just peeking my head in... ive played uo since 2002, but quit last year because of the insane amount of dupe bugs that popped up and took YEARS to fix.

i know some houses in luna have been deleted, anything else done against cheating?

I

imported_spiderpig

yup - scriptors are still going. The Luna house burning was 1 person who had a very big operation going. So all in all 1 scriptor down and ??? many to go.....

I

imported_Spiritless

Not all scripters are severely harming the game's economy or structure to the extent that this guy was. Most are just scripting skills, or other trivial stuff. BOD farms or resource gathering bots are the minority of scripters, but the most harmful.

Scripts are useful. People abusing scripts aren't so useful. The "X many to go", if you're targeting the right people, isn't an astronomical amount.

B

Babble

We pray, and if god is with us he will smite the infidels with 'connection loss' or 'connecting to Origin'.

Come brother pray with us and believe (and pack a shotgun if belief is not working!)

H

hijii

the dupes were just insane... last time they burned luna houses, a whole bunch of scriptor houses fell and i remember a week later they were right back, doing what they did... I was so annoyed i b&*tchd on uhall, nothing happened, had a huge 14 page thread about scripting, not a single dev posted anything...

so i quit.

G

AFAIK there are no current dupes, but since I don't visit the sites they brag about such things on, here is my only source of information on that.

Scripting and cheating *is* being tackled. But we should also bear in mind that there is no game out there that doesn't have some form of cheating going on in it. It will never be eradicated entirely

P

Paris_Hilton

<blockquote><hr>

Not all scripters are severely harming the game's economy or structure to the extent that this guy was. Most are just scripting skills, or other trivial stuff. BOD farms or resource gathering bots are the minority of scripters, but the most harmful.

Scripts are useful. People abusing scripts aren't so useful. The "X many to go", if you're targeting the right people, isn't an astronomical amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Most are just scripting skills, or other trivial stuff."

So long as Unattended scripting is against the rules, Unattended scripting IS NOT TRIVIAL, IT IS BREAKING THE RULES.

If you wish FASTER skill gains, you can't get much faster than buying an advanced character token from UOgamecodes.com.

Fast skill gaining with an advanced character token means that you're NOT BREAKING THE RULES OF THE GAME therefore you DON'T run the risk of getting marks against your account or your account permanently banned AND EA gets MONEY with which to hire UO devs, GMs and customer service and which EA can use to upgrade servers and create expansions.

I killed a tailorer in Fel a few months back who was afk tailoring. (He continued to tailor while I cast spell after spell to kill him and there were several other ways to tell he really was afk as well).

I saw leather flying through the air and heard tailoring sounds for several hours the day I figured out he was doing it while afk (he never moved from the same spot during those several hours).

Now please tell me HOW to tell if someone is afk scripting the "trivial" tailor skill or afk filling tailor bods to get barbed runic kits when all you see is leather flying through the air?

Also, if he gets away with macroing his tailor "skill" while away from keyboard, he's just learned that he might also be able to get away with other things while away from keyboard.

Of course I'm sure a player who decides to take the EASY way out and cheat at skill gaining would never dream of cheating in any other manner within in the game.

After all The Cheating for Skill Gainer Only Code of Conduct just won't allow them to cheat other than for skill gaining will it?

Apparently my afk tailor skill gaining neighbor in Fel didn't swear to abide by the famous Code, because from day one his house went up next to mine, he has been cheating.

He built a penned in fence on his roof (to trap something?) and brought in 4 Jhelom fighter's on day and roamed around on the roof with them for awhile (I didn't get to stay around to see what he was doing with them exactly).

Then I left to go play Wow and now there's a pouch on his front steps with over 100k stone of weight in it (script mining?).

You can try to tell us that some forms of cheating in UO are trivial and don't hurt the game but personally, I just don't believe it.

I am sure that many EA/UO staffers and UO gold sellers/brokers WISH that all UO players were 13 year olds and totally oblivious to how unfair UO is (Luna City idocs always won by the SAME people through their continued use of several rule-breaking "exploits" to name just one) because of the cheating that goes on ingame, it'd make their "jobs" SO much easier to do.

That would be broker's jobs at cheating in UO to acquire items (resources, artys and real estate) and gold to sell for cash, and EAs job to stop them (or simply ignore them if we players don't kick up a fuss).

UO has many mature players who aren't fooled so easily though, sorry.

And we most certainly aren't stupid enough to think that there's some RULE that prevents skill gaining cheaters WHO GET AWAY WITH IT to NOT cheat in other ways in the game as well.

I

imported_Spiritless

Ah okay, so getting several skills to near GM level is fine if you buy an advanced character token, purely because EA told you so. However getting to the same level in one single skill in a much longer time, while still using the same amount of resources as anyone else would I may add, with a script means you should be hung at the gallows? Yeah, I see where you're going with this. I bet EA love you.

There are forms of scripting that are abused. I've already said this. Because someone is willing to run a helper script to, say, automatically cut leather for them which lands in their backpack after skinning and looting a dragon corpse manually this doesn't instantly mean they're willing to rabidly hunt down the next dupe exploit and abuse it, or use scripts to mine 24/7 though.

The problem with scripts is that is gives people too much scope to abuse. This doesn't mean to say the majority are abusing, however. Nor does it mean to say that everyone using a script is going to turn into the next major duper, no more so than it means everyone using UOAssist will be.

P

Paris_Hilton

<blockquote><hr>

Ah okay, so getting several skills to near GM level is fine if you buy an advanced character token, purely because EA told you so. However getting to the same level in one single skill in a much longer time, while still using the same amount of resources as anyone else would I may add, with a script means you should be hung at the gallows? Yeah, I see where you're going with this. I bet EA love you.

There are forms of scripting that are abused. I've already said this. Because someone is willing to run a helper script to, say, automatically cut leather for them which lands in their backpack after skinning and looting a dragon corpse manually this doesn't instantly mean they're willing to rabidly hunt down the next dupe exploit and abuse it, or use scripts to mine 24/7 though.

The problem with scripts is that is gives people too much scope to abuse. This doesn't mean to say the majority are abusing, however. Nor does it mean to say that everyone using a script is going to turn into the next major duper, no more so than it means everyone using UOAssist will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The problem with scripts is that is gives people too much scope to abuse. This doesn't mean to say the majority are abusing, however."

Sounds a bit tricky to prove that one.

G

It's much easier to stick to a line of "all cheating is wrong" than create grey areas. Grey areas which get stretched ever further to the point where they're not so innocent.

Once you get onto those cheat sites, you're greeted with a whole list of scripting applications. Once the cheat has had success with 1 script, there is every chance he or she will use another. While individual cheats might not make a huge impact in themselves, cumulatively they do. And they're still using cheats to gain an unfair advantage over others. So smalltime is still bad

Wenchy

G

"Scripting and cheating *is* being tackled. But we should also bear in mind that there is no game out there that doesn't have some form of cheating going on in it. It will never be eradicated entirely "

^^^I don't think its being tackled at all. Or very poorly. Every time I log in to PVP I am up against lots of players with tons of exploits scripts etc. running.

Anytime I want to find a scripter I can go to heartwood and watch them earning 17+ mil Heartwood kits while afk.

Its easy to spot. If they were fixing it, they could start by banning these people.

G

Well we could sit and guess what's going on, but I'd rather say "they'll be fixing it" than "it's here to stay" and then be proved wrong the following week

As it's highly unlikely that a dev would comment on their plans, it's up to us players whether we give them time and info to fix the issue, or give up on it. Why would cheats in Luna and house placement be targeted while leaving the PvP cheats? I think there's more going on that we don't know about.

Wenchy