• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

has it really come to this?

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i feel i just have to post here my disgust at the language being used on chat channel (why should i turn it off) from those doing pvp. it was all the usual playground stuff but with mostly swearing and i even heard someone saying they would **** someone else it was vile.
is this now acceptable? i have reported it but im sure nothing will be done so probably it is. if it continues much longer i for one will be leaving (no lie). to not punish something like this to not lose a sub is not acceptable.
do these people not understand that if they go to felucca some will die and yessss sometimes you will get ganked, get over it. dont like it dont go
:violin:

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye I agree totally with Lucy. The language you sometimes see is not acceptable at all. As an indication of the intelligence and/or principles of these purported PVPers it leaves much to be desired. Yet it should be possible for action to be taken to stamp it out. If by some miracle a GM appears it is all there in the journal so proof is evident. This is, of course dependant on a GM appearing before the journal runs out. Something needs to be done as it does seem to be accelerating.
The offenders appear to have no regard at all for the fact there are ladies and some youngish children playing UO. The chat channel is being abused.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Way back soon after the chat was added to game I suggested that there was a pvp chat for the trash talkers - they didn't want that. It's no 'fun' if you're not shocking those people who have no desire to read it.
I actually spend most of my time in the help channel. Not only is the language more acceptable there are opportunities to help new/returning/unskilled players and talk to others who do likewise.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye I agree totally with Lucy. The language you sometimes see is not acceptable at all. As an indication of the intelligence and/or principles of these purported PVPers it leaves much to be desired. Yet it should be possible for action to be taken to stamp it out. If by some miracle a GM appears it is all there in the journal so proof is evident. This is, of course dependant on a GM appearing before the journal runs out. Something needs to be done as it does seem to be accelerating.
The offenders appear to have no regard at all for the fact there are ladies and some youngish children playing UO. The chat channel is being abused.
Pretty sure a GM can read your chat log past what it shows on the journal. So the time it takes them in just that regard doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i feel i just have to post here my disgust at the language being used on chat channel (why should i turn it off) from those doing pvp. it was all the usual playground stuff but with mostly swearing and i even heard someone saying they would **** someone else it was vile.
is this now acceptable? i have reported it but im sure nothing will be done so probably it is. if it continues much longer i for one will be leaving (no lie). to not punish something like this to not lose a sub is not acceptable.
do these people not understand that if they go to felucca some will die and yessss sometimes you will get ganked, get over it. dont like it dont go
:violin:
1) If someone inappropriate to the nth degree is said then the Gm WILL take action..... especially if it's spoken in the general chat channel. Just page or better yet get others to page to. It's pretty simple.

2) "Why should I turn it off" well to answer your own question with your own words... "don't like it don't go" If you don't like what's said in the General chat channel then do what you can (aka page a GM) & then leave that channel.

3)
if it continues much longer i for one will be leaving (no lie). to not punish something like this to not lose a sub is not acceptable.
Take the easy way out much?? It's foul language..... you shouldn't even be playing this game if your not adult enough to deal with that. The real gripe I have with your attitude is that your canceling your account just means you don't care enough to try to do something about the situation... Paging WILL get a result. If it doesn't the 1st time .... well who knows so try the next time, but giving up fixes nothing.

@ Petra....
I suggested that there was a pvp chat for the trash talkers - they didn't want that. It's no 'fun' if you're not shocking those people who have no desire to read it.
Umm no.... not even close to right. PvPers do their smack talking in Gen Chat bc that's the default channel & odds are that's the channel the enemy is in / or his crafter / guildmates / sampire etc... The smack talking is basically to express yourself to the guy your fighting. Your usually telling them they suck bc they have to gank your or whatnot, but it's to get a rise outta them to get another fight or to switch to a non stat char.. or even to fight an even fight for a change. What the people in general chat are thinking I could care less. That is UNLESS they cross that line & give me their opinion on what I'm saying in Gen chat. LoL.... If I wanted to hear their opinion on something I would give it to them. = P

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This flawed thinking is one reason it is happening 'It's foul language..... you shouldn't even be playing this game if your not adult enough to deal with that' There is no place in the game for foul language., I have already stated that ladies and youngish children play UO. There is certainly no reason for them to be 'adult enough to deal with it.' The offenders are the ones who are not adult by not recognising other peoples right to enjoy the game without listening to ther foul puerile drivel.

The rights and wrongs of using General chat for their communication is a moot one. It is, as has been said, the popular channel. Saying if you dont like it dont use it is not really an answer. People who want to actually use it for general chat have a right to use it EQUALLY as much as those who are abusing it.

I do not pretend to know the ultimate answer, I can only say that I will be doing my bit, following the advice given and will be reporting instances I see.

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't leave the channel. There is at times useful info. Filter them. No idea how to in EC, but in classic open options then last tab on the right, you can find all in chat and mute. Works great for those spamming their 120 chiv scroll for sale spam too.

Reactions: Vor

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1)
@ Petra....

Umm no.... not even close to right. PvPers do their smack talking in Gen Chat bc that's the default channel & odds are that's the channel the enemy is in / or his crafter / guildmates / sampire etc... The smack talking is basically to express yourself to the guy your fighting. Your usually telling them they suck bc they have to gank your or whatnot, but it's to get a rise outta them to get another fight or to switch to a non stat char.. or even to fight an even fight for a change. What the people in general chat are thinking I could care less. That is UNLESS they cross that line & give me their opinion on what I'm saying in Gen chat. LoL.... If I wanted to hear their opinion on something I would give it to them. = P
Actually, I wasn't guessing. That's the reason I was given at the time for not using a dedicated pvp/felucca chat. :)

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ignore function is actually quite limited.
When I was livestreaming the Stratics UO 15th Anniversary ingame party, I had to ignore people who were spamming or using excessive profanity.
I had to start removing people from my ignore list to add new ones.

The problem is one of division of community.
In any other setting than on the internet, the profanity-laden trash talking would rarely cross paths with groups that have no interest in such things.
If you put them in a room, they'd separate out into distinct groups, and would barely interact.
Such division doesn't exist in public venues on the internet, so diverse groups with wildly different codes of conduct are thrown into the same pot, with lack of respect from certain corners fanning the flames.

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
vexxed, in your post you have not even tried to show any objection to it. old enought to be able to take it, im betting im older than you. and for the record i am a 13 year player going on 14 and i do care. i am just amazed at your awful attitude, would you be one of those using foul language?
i would love to know what you do irl? student? i cant imagine what profession would accept foul language as being fine
i look forward to your next flame

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a professional and a bit of foul language sometimes is just the answer.

If you've been playing as long as that you should be used to the diverse nature of UOs social flaws.

Don't be so sensitive.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
'I'm a professional and a bit of foul language sometimes is just the answer.​
If you've been playing as long as that you should be used to the diverse nature of UOs social flaws.​
Don't be so sensitive'​
Having spent considerable time in the 'real' world. I acknowledge that there is a place, at times, for bad language and have indeed used it myself. However that has not included when in female company or when children are present. At such times its use is totally inappropriate, demonstrates bad manners and a lack of respect for others.​
If, as a professional, you are arguing that being a professional is a justification for it in these situations I feel sorry for you, as a professional you should know better.. It is not a case of Lucy or anybody else being sensitive.​
Bad language in chat within a game is offensive and cannot be justified. We are not talking 'adult men only' our player base is wide and diverse and we have no need of a few morons demonstrating their inability to grasp the basic principles of decent behaviour​

Last edited: