• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

has anyone reported "amnesty" as internet fraud

• Thread starter imported_VeronicaV
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

The only real thing they did was come back and pay the monthly fees like everyone else. Luc said from day one this was borrowed time for TSO. It didnt work out. If they were hoping for amnesty to come thru and it didnt... well, Im sorry.. life sucks sometimes. The game couldnt be saved. Time to move on.

G

<blockquote><hr>

For Pete's sake what? Being a victim of fraud or expecting a refund? When they promised things for my hard earned money, then did not deliver, that is not right!!! Too many people in this world put up with corporate bullcrap, I am not one of them. But they made it right with me by refunding what they took. So I am free to enjoy the twilight of the game without feeling bilked.

[/ QUOTE ]
Calling it "fraud".
It simply doesn't meet the legal conditions.

No moral judgement on how you feel - just a fact of law.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

The only real thing they did was come back and pay the monthly fees like everyone else. Luc said from day one this was borrowed time for TSO. It didnt work out. If they were hoping for amnesty to come thru and it didnt... well, Im sorry.. life sucks sometimes. The game couldnt be saved. Time to move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

These were players who had quit. These are players who would not have paid to come back to the game if EA had not made promises to them, which it did not keep.

Picture your little family at the restaurant. They had stopped going to the restaurant because all it served was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and they were sick of that. One day they received an offer in the mail that promised fabulous meals, "new and improved," and all they had to do was pay in advance. The family paid for the meals, and then arrived to find the kitchen was closed and the chef was offering up the same old peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Would they have gone to the restaurant for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Would they have paid for it in advance, knowing they had stopped going to the restaurant because they didn't want any more peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

Your family would deserve a refund.

This post is in no way meant to denigrate peanut butter and/or jelly sandwiches.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Calling it "fraud".
It simply doesn't meet the legal conditions.

No moral judgement on how you feel - just a fact of law.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fraud implies that EA intentionally pulled a fast one.

I really loved the quote offered above, which fits, IMO:

“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”

The marketing campaign was a fiasco. It was premature for the "new, improved...come back!" offer to be made.

On the other hand, the offer was extended, and the promotion was made, but not delivered. Refunds to the returnees is a reasonable response, and it sounds like EA is offering that to anyone who feels they are aggrieved.

G

You can spew your BS all you want. There is one simple FACT.

They WILL give you your last few months pay back if you call them. They WILL give you back what you spent at the ATMs for the last 60 days.

They know they screwed their customers.

G

Exactly, and those who believe it is time to move on, should certainly do so, and allow those who need further group discussion to their discussion.

I

imported_AidanM

I've been with TSO/EA- Land for quite sometime. I already received a refund for the month of April on both my accounts. I only kept my second account open for amnesty. Am I entitled for a larger refund?

G

Call them and explain. I got two months back. You should get the full amount on the account that you made for amnesty.

G

I dont know, i came back due to the purported EXCITING changes, sure the the beginning CC was ok, but everything else was a whole lot of same ol same ol except for the fact it was harder!!! lol. I was waiting for the fun to begin and it didnt.

I nearly BEGGED my sis to play and she did, then we begged her BF to start back because he had a founder account. Seriously begged this guy for like 2 months and he finally comes back only for them to close it lol. He hadnt been back but about a month.

So what I personally came back for never happened. I paid several months, and skilled my sim just waiting. When that never happened i DID feel I deserved everything back. To me it all felt like a huge waste of time. And apparently EA agreed with me.

If you paid and had fun, enjoyed your experience, well then GREAT. But I did not, I have been so bored with this game for the past two months then havent even PLAYED it since the cap came. I just kept paying my accounts because i wanted to be an EALAND founder. I wanted to be here when the fun started. I think anyone who kept their accounts open only in anticipation of what never came should be refunded in all honesty. Now that may not happen.

But I feel bad for those people who fell for the lies.

How many people wrote posts on here saying they were going to quit only to have several responders tell them they should hang in there, etc, etc, (yeah there were a few who were like "dont let the door hitcha......" lol) So some of those people held on to the hope. Thats the frustrating part. For those of us who would have NEVER come back to this game and certainly never stayed on this long without that hope.

I am tired and rambling lol. I got my money back so i am at least happy with that. Just wish the game didnt have to go.

Night all.

G

<blockquote><hr>

im not ready to give up that easy and lay down and die and thas my decision to make... Im not willing to accept at this point that this is it... there is things that can be done are you willing to do it as well or are you going to just lay down and take whats been done to us and the community thas the question, the personal question everyone has to ask for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the need to fight for what you believe in, and I even support your 'Save the Game' campaign. What I DON'T want to see is posts that encourage filing fraud lawsuits on EA, or even encouraging harboring ill will or resentment against the dev team and EA. EA dropped the ball on this one, there is no doubt, but by the time our dev team got to us and tried to give us proverbial life support, the damage that the 'suits' at EA had caused by neglecting us all that time was already done, so I really think if somebody *has* to be blamed it is the suits, not the dev team but that blame is not criminally or civally prosecutable in a court of law, its more of a feduciary (sp?) or moral obligation that they dropped the ball on. Companies are not held by morality, they are held by the almighty dollar......that's just a sad fact of life. Doing the morally correct thing and doing what is best for the 'bottom line' financially are too often mutually exclusive, but again you can't haul a company into court because they have a lack of moral scruples....if you could three-quarters of the corporations in America would be owned collectively by all the people who filed class action lawsuits against them.

So no, it's not slinking away quietly with our tails between our legs so to speak that I'm advocating, its just doing the 'fighting' as a group that people feel they need to do to try one more time to save the game SANS anger and hostility that I am hoping for. Understand though that if ANYTHING is going to save this game it's not just going to be an outcry from the community or a petition, its going to be people putting their money where there mouth is and turning accounts back on and making the game profitable and making a commitment not to turn those accounts back off. With EA having cleared out our billing information already, I'm not sure how people can do that, but nor am I sure how else we're going to salvage things......that's why I have been the first in line to beg and plead with people not to discontinue those subscriptions to start with, no matter how unhappy they thought they were, because look how unhappy we all are now. I think people either thought never actually come to this, or they just didn't give a damn if it did, and my cynical streak is wondering how many of those people who didn't give a damn then give a damn now, or if they are just sitting back laughing with an 'I told you so, suckers!' smirk and/or snicker.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't know...

It would feel weird to ask for money back for the months I played since I came back. I got the gameplay I wanted, I played a lot and I enjoyed playing. I learned things from it. I liked playing and it's only fair I pay for that enjoyment.

Sure I might not have come back if they had said it was gonna end.
But I'm glad I did anyway.
Now I get to pay for free the whole summer, too.
I'm sad that the developers aren't allowed to keep working on the game, but I don't blame them for trying.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I feel about it too, basically. Getting a refund for April, yes I would probably feel justified in that, but regardless of what people thought, nobody had to make an account premium again to get the amnesty as it was presented, just simply reactivate it, and it was clarified that yes it could be free so even if somebody had upgraded to premium the first month they came back thinking that, when Parizad clarified they could have turned around and knocked it back to free so I think it's giving EA the same slap in the face they just dealt us to request all that money back, and the fact that EA is refunding that money in good faith that they do not have to really gives them back some of the honor points that they had lost by pulling the plug. They are basically kissing people's asses, doing stuff they don't have to do to avoid what would amount to little more than a few headaches from pain in the asses jumping up and down yelling and screaming about what they feel they are owed for the injustices of that company daring to cut their losses on a game that wasn't making them money. Sorry, even as tight as money is for me and my husband I will not violate my own principles by saying that two wrongs make a right here because they do not. I understand it's part of the human condition to say 'you screw me I screw you double' but that's just not something I can do and still look at myself in the mirror.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Company opens selling tokens to buy items from company.
Company offers people to join and make items to sell for tokens.
Company states they will pay people real cash for access tokens earned from sale of those items.
Company sees to many tokens made and closes without paying anyone a dime.

There have been a number of people in this game that have spent considerable time and money to deliver what EA asked for.
Many of these people did so because they were promised a return in real life earnings for their efforts.
At no time did EA say that it may not happen, or they would only attempt to do so, it was always stated that they will do so.
These people were mislead so EA could attempt to achieve what they wanted.
At no time did EA tell these people there was even the smallest chance of cash out not being implemented, in fact they did completely the opposite.

I am not one of those people, but they are the ones I feel have the most to complain about.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole thing is about greed, on both sides. My question is this. These people you're talking about came back because they had dollar signs for pupils. Why is EA's greed any worse than these people's greed? And yes, every single one of us here has known since that first post of Luc's last March that we were on thin ice with the suits and still could be given the 90 day notice. At no point did EA make an announcement "Hey guys! We're beyond the deadline and the game is profitable, we're safe and secure until the new decade or beyond!" so because they never made a statement to that affect, I operated under the assumption that the original statement of the game being in jeopardy still held. Anybody who didn't was operating on a false sense of security, but it is one that they created in their own mind because that is what they wanted to believe. In probably one thread a day, or at least one thread a week one of us here, no matter who it was, always reiterated that the game was in jeopardy, and I know for a fact that I made mention of it in direct reference to investing in the ATMs, that people should be mindful that the future of the game was uncertain, whether it be the 90 day notice or the need for wipes since we never did get out of beta with EA Land, so nobody should have bought more in the ATM than they could spend. Had I bought any simoleans in an ATM, you can be damn certain that I would not have bought more than $5 at a time unless I had plans for the whole chunk at once.

This might be the first taste of this lesson for alot of people, and it is a really crappy way to learn that lesson but everybody learns a lesson or two from the School of Hard Knocks, and those are the mistakes that usually aren't made twice, so maybe this taught some people exactly what the expression "Buyer Beware" means. It totally escapes my comprehension though why some people don't have more self respect than to create the illusion that they are so naive and/or lacking in common sense that they really can say they were totally gobsmacked. I can understand young teenagers not having this kind of common sense but some of the main ones placing themselves in the wounded victim roles are people that I credited with more savvy than this. Either I was way off base or my initial reaction of the whole thing being a pile of bollocks is bullseye accurate.