• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

has anyone reported "amnesty" as internet fraud

• Thread starter imported_VeronicaV
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_VeronicaV

I have been playing for a long dang time, but after I while, just kept 1 account going. After the amnesty offer, I reactivated some old accounts. I really feel that that since they did not follow through on their offer that they should refund the money for those months that were reactived for that reason. Has anyone recieved this type of refund? Has anyone reported this to the Department of Justice as an act of fraud? Am I just letting my anger get the best of me?

M

MandiK

Thats a tough one. Seems a little extreme, but it makes sense. I re-activated because of the amnesty as well.

G

that's a good possibility, normally id let me accounts go off from time to time and not worry about it but with amnesty i kept them active except for 1 week, plus i dont have only 1 account so yea, could happen. I find it extrememly funny (being sarcastic of couse) that they promise it'd be done by April 30th and April 29th they decide to pull the plug on tso.

G

Post your proof that EA entered into a contract with you. I suspect their lawyers will simply point to the ToS and User Agreement and the judge will say "case dismissed".

Seriously, though, do a little research and see if you can come up with something concrete. Anything's possible.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Thats a tough one. Seems a little extreme, but it makes sense. I re-activated because of the amnesty as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it's extreme. I kinda thought about that one too.

It does seem kinda fraudulent to offer amnesty for returning members and then the day before the amnesty, the closing of the game is announced?

And then reading that last blog....the EAland 'experiment'? Beta test of Ealand? I was like...."what the heck?"

Knowing that ea is developing a very similar online game in the way of carnival that sound earily similar to what was promised to EAland?

Something just doesn't set well with this whole thing.

Timing seems really bad....the day before the cutoff for Amnesty?

J

jammybob

<blockquote><hr>

Post your proof that EA entered into a contract with you. I suspect their lawyers will simply point to the ToS and User Agreement and the judge will say "case dismissed".

Seriously, though, do a little research and see if you can come up with something concrete. Anything's possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do we actually know that EA-Land had a TOS?
Once EA changed the name of the game, would TSO tos legally apply?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Announcing Amnesty gave us all a false impression that the game was moving forward.

When honestly, once all the cities got merged into one, the game development pretty much ceased except for the crazy moronic 'tweaking' of the economy. And over inflating real estate costs.

If everyone seemed to be off by themselves in the last few months, it's because we've been working our poor little pixels to their early graves. And whose fault was that? Could it be the crazy moronic 'tweaking' of the economy where we could have 4 maxxed sims make a freakin large star pizza and only get $6 simoleans for it?

G

At one point, I believe there was a website in the MOTD in-game. Can't remember if that was pre-EALand or not.

One of the documents (either ToS or UA) is most likely generic to all EA games and not specific to a title.

I

imported_ChipsAhoy

Ithought about this... I reactivated b/c of this as well. I was going to leave it alone, but I might just call and see.

J

jammybob

Also, this was taken from the blog...

EA-Land Drawing To A Close
Posted in Update by Electronic Arts on the April 29th, 2008
It is with mixed emotions that today we are announcing the EA-Land experiment will soon draw to a close. Since 2002, EA-Land / TSO has attracted a very special group of players (of which you are one) and we certainly appreciate your participation in the EA-Land community. The lifetime of the game has drawn to an end, and now we will be focusing on new ideas and other innovative concepts in the games arena. We’d like to thank everyone who has taken part in this online community as a unique experience in the virtual world.

Below are some facts about how the site and service will be closed. Please see also a special message from the team that maintained EA-Land, to the community that played it.

Key Facts:

On August 1, 2008, the game EA-Land / TSO will no longer be in service and EA will focus these resources on future games
Your subscription billing will end now, so that at least 60 days of your EA-Land experience will be at no cost to you

I was just charged for my accounts TODAY..... I know i can call up and get a refund, but even so, this is SOOOO wrong for them to be doing this

I

imported_Qute Pi

I kept additional accounts open for many months due to the amnesty. I say contact EA and try for a refund. If that doesn't work then I'd try BBB.
Actually I think tomorrow I'm gonna do just that. I have no problem with my charges for my main account, it's the other 3 that I'd like a refund on.
I do have the letter that was sent out to old accounts, as one of my old accounts had been cancelled in the past.

Honestly this whole year we shouldn't have been charged, I think I'll request refunds for 3 accounts from January thru now. $120 can pay for my fuel prices...

As for tos; I don't believe I agreed to a new one on all 4 of my accounts. I only remember accepting the new one once. Will that matter?

I

imported_VeronicaV

I just talked to EA about my account that was ressurected specifically for amnesty. He refunded ALL of the charges to the card since I reactivated. I advise everyone who feels bilked out of money call and ask that they refund all of the charges. It may not bring my game back, but at least now I do not feel like I was taken for such a ride.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

At one point, I believe there was a website in the MOTD in-game. Can't remember if that was pre-EALand or not.

One of the documents (either ToS or UA) is most likely generic to all EA games and not specific to a title.

[/ QUOTE ]

There comes a time in all industries that the 'status quo' is challenged and put down.

Many abuses have been perped on many people on the internet. Large companies such as EA should be held to a higher standard and in this case needs to accept responsibility for how this entire matter has been handled.

I

imported_ChipsAhoy

I'm on the phone with 'David' and he's giving my money back from since I restarted. Call if you want your money back.
Kind of bittersweet actually. Wish it didnt come to that. I was mad about the amnesty not being timely and what not, and would have left again back then, but now that TSO will be GONE. All the friends I made, all the hours upon hours logged in through the years... What IS it about this game? *sniff*

Okay back to the thread....

Call for the money. It wasn't a fight at all.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have been playing for a long dang time, but after I while, just kept 1 account going. After the amnesty offer, I reactivated some old accounts. I really feel that that since they did not follow through on their offer that they should refund the money for those months that were reactived for that reason. Has anyone recieved this type of refund? Has anyone reported this to the Department of Justice as an act of fraud? Am I just letting my anger get the best of me?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, fer Pete's sake.

B

baylee

I also only came back because of the email from them I received telling me it was all free for ever, I subscribed to pay ONLY because amnesty... I pay and play in TC3, so its not like I subscribed to visit money and skill lots. I just love how the day before amnesty they call it quits.

G

yes, but even though refunded because you went to all the trouble of having to contact them, they should have auto refunded since they didnt come through on amnesty, how many players will they fraud out of that money in the end???? and it is fraud

I

imported_VeronicaV

For Pete's sake what? Being a victim of fraud or expecting a refund? When they promised things for my hard earned money, then did not deliver, that is not right!!! Too many people in this world put up with corporate bullcrap, I am not one of them. But they made it right with me by refunding what they took. So I am free to enjoy the twilight of the game without feeling bilked.

G

you know i said soemthing months ago about this and the fact that they were changing the name changing the names of our sims our money ect.... and i was tormented on the boards i had a feeling way back then that something wasnt right and well now we know why... there was a reason ea did this ... they knew it then even if we and the devs didnt.... and its wrong its just plain wrong and i dont think that we should sit back and take this i think that if anyone has that email that they should make that thing public contact your tv stations put the heat on ea and save our game cuz its all worth it!!!!!

Being pissed and being hurt isnt gonna stop the situation were in now they wanted to create a community well they have they got it... now its time to shut up and start doing something about what they have done to us because its not right...... show them what a real community is and show them that we do want multiplayer online games!!!!! make them rue the day they pulled the plug on our community!!!!.... get those emails in to local news papers and tv stations get the word out what kind of company they really are!

C

Cee Cee

Has anyone thought that the reason they are all so ready to refund the money is because it was in fact internet fraud and they are "afraid" of the possibility of lawsuits?

I

imported_sedusa

I dont know how I feel about the refund deal but I didnt reactivate anything because of amnesty.

I keep coming back to this, in regards to fraud/etc, and that is the fact that EA Land never lost the "beta" after its name.

G

TTL

I would imagine that in order to prove fraud - you would have to prove that someone (EA) purposefully and intentionally set out to defraud you of your money with no basis or intention of ever meeting their side of the deal.

Paying a subscription allows you access to an online virtual world - everything within that virtual world is owned by EA. By subscribing you were given access to that world - and will continue to have access for a further 90 days if you choose to continue to play. No fraud there.

Also what was being offered were pixelated ingame objects - anniversary gifts (which according to the TOS would always belong to EA anyway) and skill locks on an avatar/sim (which also would always belong to EA).

I highly doubt that EA are concerned of being charged/prosecuted with fraud.

Polly

G

word of mouth is everything you dont have to be prosicuted in a court~~~ worse type of prosicution is in the media remember that!! and what they did is wrong!

G

hit em where it hurts in their pockets wonder how much that stocks gone down today eh.... just amagine if the news of all this got out.... and just what they have done to players of their games that they sell! And yes i bought their game!! it wasnt free when i started paid flippin 65.00 a game at walmarts for all 4 of them!~

G

There is a lot for them to be afraid of, more than people seem to realise.
I can think of quite a few people in the game that have grounds to sue for more than just returns of money spent.
For instants there are people that put a huge amount of time into building custom content and what would be a large sum of simoleans from selling that custom content.
The wording that EA used for cash out was always it will come, and also said that real money can be made from contributing to the game with things like custom content.
After these commitments by them were made, people worked hard and contributed considerable time to do exactly that.
Cash out was never put in place and these people were never able to get their promised returns.
There could even be an argument put forward in relation to the promise of us being able to cash in our access simoleans.
EA put in writing several times that these things will be put in the game, not we will attempt, they said they will be made available.
So EA can be sued for time invested and maybe even a lot more than that.
I can see a class action being formed by some smart lawyer looking to make a name for himself.

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

hit em where it hurts in their pockets wonder how much that stocks gone down today eh....

[/ QUOTE ]

$53.19 a share... up $1.72

How are those shouting "fraud!", bring suit, or even complain if all you have to do is ask for your money back, and they give it to you?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I can see a class action being formed by some smart lawyer looking to make a name for himself.

[/ QUOTE ]One tried it in Second Life over a few thousand dollars worth of virtual land ... eventually it was settled out of court.

Part of the reason was that a lawyer decided that the 'user agreement' was very one sided and basically said that you sign away all rights to anything and the game company can do anything at any time and there's diddle you can do about it.

Sound vaguely familiar?

Info here if anyone's vaguely interested.

G

and ill be the first in line to file too... daym i wish i went to college.... wonder if there is a lawyer around here playin the game... hmmm ...stranger things can happen!

G

I don't feel fraud was commited because of us not receiving amnesty for a couple reasons, one we haven't been told we are not gonna get it though I do not believe for a minute that we are, and two in order for it to be fraud and prosecutable, people would have had to give EA more money in order to receive it, and I distinctly remember Parizad answering my own question asking if free accounts qualified for amnesty with a definite YES. I tried to pull up that particular post, but for some reason the search function will not pull up any posts for me that are older than March, and this post was made sometime around mid February. I remember that because I reactivated my second account as free on February 29th after reading that answer from her because I wanted that account to get the locks also in addition to my premium account. If anybody can get the search function to work for them, the evidence will be there. Also I have seen the e-mail in question and I only saw that your account had to be reactivated, I did not see the words 'and upgraded to premium' anywhere, so the only thing that having a free account would have cost anybody in terms of amnesty is the NUMBER of gifts they received, since only one sim per city is allowed on a premium account.

I know people are angry, I am angry too, but I also think it is important to keep that anger in perspective and to understand that we're angry because we won't have our game to play.....a game that has been a big part of some people's lives. That is a huge loss and I can understand that it would trigger a mild grieving process, and anger is part of that clinically speaking, but going on wild goose chases wasting energy filing fraud charges that would in fact be frivolous would only cause more harm to yourselves emotionally, and potentially cost you money if anybody goes as far as hiring a lawyer, and could even result in EA retaliating with charges of false prosecution, so I hope people will take this into consideration when trying to decide how to proceed, and at least wait until you've had a chance to cool off and think rationally and clearly, because it's clear that some people are not.

Don't get me wrong, I have my own anger to deal with when it comes to this, and alot of it is aimed at specific people....but I've gained enough maturity to realize that I can blow off that steam with trusted friends without getting myself all in a tizzy and potentially in RL trouble myself. That's just my perspective though, which I also have sense enough to know doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but I wanted to interject a little bit of logic and reasoning anyway in the hopes that it might get through to at least one person here.

G

<blockquote><hr>

hit em where it hurts in their pockets wonder how much that stocks gone down today eh.... just amagine if the news of all this got out.... and just what they have done to players of their games that they sell! And yes i bought their game!! it wasnt free when i started paid flippin 65.00 a game at walmarts for all 4 of them!~

[/ QUOTE ]

And what have they done to players of their games? They invited ex players to come back to a new/revised game that was previously unprofitable. They had several offers to encourage people to come back and play. The game didn't meet the predicted/forecast targets and the budget was cut.

From EA's point of view, they made one last attempt to turn a loss making product into a revenue generating product, but it didn't happen so they stopped investing anymore resource in to the game. In their eyes, they were doing the "right thing" and safeguarding their shareholder's interests.

EA are a major corporation - they operate as a business to make a profit - they're not or never were operating as a charity. Bad press for them is never good, an unsuccessful game is never good, but in time it will be forgotten and EA will continue to operate as a business and turn a profit.

It sucks for us, but thats the way it is.

G

did u see anything any where in the last few months from ea that our product was still in trouble??? was anything posted anywhere to warn us that come then new fiscal year it woudl be sladed for closer no we didnt only thing we got was all good all new updates ect this and that no where were we warned at anytime that this is a possiblitly we knew the devs were here to revive the game yes but no where were we warned that this was a possiblity this soon. Heck in the discussions luc spelled out updates as far as couple years from now that in itsself says to me that they had plans of keeping us around... not anywhere did i see any kind of warning that the game was in THIS much trouble... and to send out things to entice people back and keep people here... and not deliever is wrong! and even if they do now what the hell we have em for a month duh what good is that not that anyone cares any more~

G

I just got a refund on March and April for two accounts. No fraud case for me.

G

<blockquote><hr>

did u see anything any where in the last few months from ea that our product was still in trouble??? was anything posted anywhere to warn us that come then new fiscal year it woudl be sladed for closer no we didnt only thing we got was all good all new updates ect this and that no where were we warned at anytime that this is a possiblitly we knew the devs were here to revive the game yes but no where were we warned that this was a possiblity this soon. Heck in the discussions luc spelled out updates as far as couple years from now that in itsself says to me that they had plans of keeping us around... not anywhere did i see any kind of warning that the game was in THIS much trouble... and to send out things to entice people back and keep people here... and not deliever is wrong! and even if they do now what the hell we have em for a month duh what good is that not that anyone cares any more~

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not true, Connie. Luc made it very clear from day 1 that this game was in jeopardy and that there was always the chance that this experiment would fail. Maybe that wasn't said in that e-mail, but it was said here and on the blog, and everybody who used to play this game knows that these two places exist. If they chose not to read it, then that ignorance of the facts is their own fault, because it was here. It's the same thing as hitting "I Accept" without reading the EULA for what you're accepting and then claiming ignorance as a defense when you violate the rules. Nobody can do that here. Yes, that e-mail painted things in as positive a light as possible, and I believe that those statements were at the time made in good faith with every intention of doing everything in their powers to achieve them. Maybe in the last 30 days they knew things were headed south and didn't say anything, but maybe not. Either way, when that e-mail was sent out, I do not believe in any part of my being that it was pure bs and that they had no intention of doing anything they said they were gonna do. They tried, and they failed.....I have alot less contempt for them having made the effort than I would have if they hadn't tried at all and just simply came here after 3 years of silence and just said "Sorry guys! Pulling the plug, go home!" without even attempting to do anything. The numbers just simply added up to it being a failure, and I've said before and I will say again that that is partially the fault of the players who walked out on the game before they walked out on us. Each and every person that did that was a -$10/mo. at least in the overall picture and I'm willing to bet that it made a really big difference in the bottom line, even if it wasn't 'the straw that broke the camel's back'. So, in our anger we need to accept at least a tiny bit of the responsibility ourselves.....perhaps not a large chunk, but at least a tiny bit.

I

imported_VeronicaV

Okay, EA is a business no doubt. People asking for refunds are getting them, as I got mine and that is great. As long as they do that, I don't think they have a problem. However, if anyone were refused, I think it could be a problem. They promised a payoff, and did not deliver it. From the time that the decision was made to close the game, which obviously was a couple of weeks ago, were they still billing those new people who joined for the promise of amnesty? It is the same as a company selling gift certificates when they know they are going out of business. Only in this case, said company is a multi million dollar corporation that is NOT out of business. I say each and every one of you who were lured back with amnesty and screwed out of your money should demand it back. And the first one of you who does not get it SHOULD start the ball rolling.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Okay, EA is a business no doubt. People asking for refunds are getting them, as I got mine and that is great. As long as they do that, I don't think they have a problem. However, if anyone were refused, I think it could be a problem. They promised a payoff, and did not deliver it. From the time that the decision was made to close the game, which obviously was a couple of weeks ago, were they still billing those new people who joined for the promise of amnesty? It is the same as a company selling gift certificates when they know they are going out of business. Only in this case, said company is a multi million dollar corporation that is NOT out of business. I say each and every one of you who were lured back with amnesty and screwed out of your money should demand it back. And the first one of you who does not get it SHOULD start the ball rolling.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you for the most part Veronica, but its not like a company selling gift certificates... b/c the time that we paid for was for current, not future.
Although we had future expectations the time we paid was for the next 30...

Look... I'd love to see the little guy win. But these corporations know how to cover their behinds with fine print, fine print, fine print. And even bold print actually.

When we accepted our agreement, we accepted it for the game as is. Not for what should, could or will be.

I doubt the devs were spouting empty promises. I believe that when they made mention of these things they had every intention of following through.

It just appears that the people who got to make the final decisions had different intentions.

G

Umm pay attention. All you have to do is call EA and they will refund your charges if you returned or opened a new account. I just did it.

They would probably refund anyone for a few months.

Also they are refunding ATM purchases done in the last 60 days.

Sounds like they are agreeing that fraud was involved and they are making sure there are no lawsuits.

Are you kidding!? I accept NO responsibilty on a game that had 19 developers working on it for 10 months and all they could do was add CC and move files to a different server. It was MY fault that it closed?

I see you will defend the developers until Aug 1. You better find out where those developers are working now, so you can go root for them there.

And when you do, let me know. I will know which games will be buggy and incomplete upon release. That way I dont buy them.

G

ohh yea the day it happen they werent giving back refunds now they are amagine that cuz they know their wrong.... they know it!

and for your information i read the boards and the blogs daily! Everyday and no where in the last few months have they said this could be a posibility anywhere! if they did then show me and i will opoligize fully for my mouth but right now im pissed and im tired of people like you and me being crapped on and the big boys glowing in the wind like nothin ever happened... its not right its not fair and i dont care what spin you put on it none of us have been treated right for along time and for your information if it wernt for the amnesty and talks of all the new updates i had 5 accounts i put my money where my mouth was and i kept all 5 of those accounts active to help out... and because of amnesty thas right amnesty! if not for it i could have shut down 3 or 4 of them and saved myself some money.... so before ya crack on me be me and pay that many accounts for that many years!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Umm pay attention. All you have to do is call EA and they will refund your charges if you returned or opened a new account. I just did it.

They would probably refund anyone for a few months.

Also they are refunding ATM purchases done in the last 60 days.

Sounds like they are agreeing that fraud was involved and they are making sure there are no lawsuits.

Are you kidding!? I accept NO responsibilty on a game that had 19 developers working on it for 10 months and all they could do was add CC and move files to a different server. It was MY fault that it closed?

I see you will defend the developers until Aug 1. You better find out where those developers are working now, so you can go root for them there.

And when you do, let me know. I will know which games will be buggy and incomplete upon release. That way I dont buy them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nowhere did I say it was 100% the players fault. The words I used where "at least a tiny bit". You have to acknowledge that the success/failure of this game hinged alot on the profit margin of it, and that every single person who cancelled one or more accounts contributed to the unprofitability. That's just simple mathematics. Do the developers also hold some culpability/responsiblity? ABSOLUTELY. But unlike some here, I don't believe that they don't know that and feel almost as bad as most of us do that this game is dying. Especially Parizad, since she has been a player here since the original beta (or was it right after, memory escapes me but I know it's been 4-5 years at least). All I am saying is we only have a few months left here......you say I will defend the devs until the last day we are here, but only if some people here condemn them till the last day. That works both ways. If somebody you really cared about was dying, would you make the most of the time you had left with them, or would you spend that time letting them know they were a sorry friend and you regretted ever having known them? Alot of us love TSO like a trusted friend. It's even been a lifeline for some people and I just think it is an abberation to spend what little bit of time we have left in the game and here on the boards ripping each other and the devs to shreds like some have spent the last 5 years doing, because there's people here that are still here who haven't had much good to say since a year after TSO came out, or even before that. It's punitive and stupid right now to beat 'the horse' it's already dead. Never has there been a time that is more appropos for KIR's famous 'beating a dead horse' graphic than now. I hope some people will claim a tiny bit of dignity and stop with the flame wars for these next few months because they're not gonna help one single thing now, nothing. Not even as much as they might have helped before because now things are beyond hope for change. WHY do some people insist on making this time as miserable as some of the rest of it has been instead of enjoying the tiny bit of what is left?!?!!?

G

im not ready to give up that easy and lay down and die and thas my decision to make... Im not willing to accept at this point that this is it... there is things that can be done are you willing to do it as well or are you going to just lay down and take whats been done to us and the community thas the question, the personal question everyone has to ask for themselves.

G

TTL

Refunds are being made, i wasnt going to post this, but I feel that i do need to. I was refunded for EVERY DIME I invested in this game since the promises of amnesty.
Without even batting an eye the CSR refunded my money on BOTH Accounts and was extremely apologetic.

SO YES I can say that WITHOUT a doubt EA is trying to avoid more issues with this. I DO think that it is good of them to do the refunds, they could fight it, but if a class action suit were brought about they WOULD lose, and they know it.

Ask for your refunds, they are being given. I would not suggest waiting around for a law suit, as long as refunds are being given upon request then no law suit would be valid IMO.

As for those who blame the PLAYERS for EA closing, please stop, people feel bad enough to be losing this game. EA is 100% at fault for this game closing. If they would have implemented the promised changes without the ridiculous cash in/out this game could have been huge.

People went NUTS when they implemented the cap and that is the point in which EA KNEW they wouldnt be able to turn the game into what they wanted so instead of giving us a game WE wanted they scrapped it. This is definitely EA's loss as well as ours.

Weeks of research has shown me that their is NO other game like this out there at least that i can find. I can find no reason that would account for this game not being very profitable if they would have handled it correctly.

I am sorry you lost your game. But please put the blame where it belongs. If this had happened in the first place,(I.E People telling EA what they wanted instead of meekly lapping up every little scrap EA gave) maybe EA would have listened.

G

**applauds whole post**

Especially this part:

I am sorry you lost your game. But please put the blame where it belongs. If this had happened in the first place,(I.E People telling EA what they wanted instead of meekly lapping up every little scrap EA gave) maybe EA would have listened.

G

I don't know...

It would feel weird to ask for money back for the months I played since I came back. I got the gameplay I wanted, I played a lot and I enjoyed playing. I learned things from it. I liked playing and it's only fair I pay for that enjoyment.

Sure I might not have come back if they had said it was gonna end.
But I'm glad I did anyway.
Now I get to pay for free the whole summer, too.
I'm sad that the developers aren't allowed to keep working on the game, but I don't blame them for trying.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Under terms of fraud, the fraudee has to prove that it was done intentionally by the frauder and considering that the Dev team had every intention of adding this feature into the game until the suits pulled the plug on it. I think it would be a waste of time on your part and I seriously doubt that you would be successful in finding a good law firm to take this case. I want to add that I know how you feel. Its sad when you go out of your way to expecting something exciting to be given to you and then the game folds. I hope you can find another that will bring you the same kind of fun.

G

EA has the right to terminate the game or any game they have at any time they want no matter what promises are made or what is said. It's all in the terms of service.

G

A family sits in a restaurant.
They have heard it is in the process of improving their menu.
A new chef is hired.
The family goes to this restaurant every single Friday night for months and months...
Promises of a better menu are only showing improvement with better appetizers.
Then come better desserts.
The family is happy, yet.....
They want the better entree's.
The restaurant has to close down from lack of profit and money troubles. The restaurant is only busy on Friday nights, empty the rest of the week.

Family gets infuriated. We shall sue!
Family contacts lawyer.... we want ALL our money back.. every dime we ever spent on this place!
But family is told by lawyer... you ate the food, paid your bill.
You kept coming back week after week.
You.... have no case.

Get it?

G

Just go to your account page and remove your billing. Then, they can't re-bill you.

G

Company opens selling tokens to buy items from company.
Company offers people to join and make items to sell for tokens.
Company states they will pay people real cash for access tokens earned from sale of those items.
Company sees to many tokens made and closes without paying anyone a dime.

There have been a number of people in this game that have spent considerable time and money to deliver what EA asked for.
Many of these people did so because they were promised a return in real life earnings for their efforts.
At no time did EA say that it may not happen, or they would only attempt to do so, it was always stated that they will do so.
These people were mislead so EA could attempt to achieve what they wanted.
At no time did EA tell these people there was even the smallest chance of cash out not being implemented, in fact they did completely the opposite.

I am not one of those people, but they are the ones I feel have the most to complain about.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

Actually, the people who responded to the mailings EA sent out -- the ones who were enticed to come back and PAY for the game because they were offered a bunch of goodies (amnesty, etc) along with the "new, improved" game -- could reasonably claim breach of contract. These are players who had severed their relationship with the game for one reason or another, and they were specifically targeted by EA with offers which they paid for -- but did not receive.

It sounds like EA is already offering refunds to those players, which is what the law would require.

The rest of us -- those of us who stuck with the game through thick and thin, and who were knowingly participating in the "EA Land experiment" -- have an implied breach (ie, we believed the devs when they told us things were going well, but they knew otherwise). Personally, although I feel betrayed, I haven't come to believe the devs knew the game was going to fail. I'd need more facts to get to that point. And I kinda don't want to get there.