• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Halloween Quest guide (revised)

N

Nenime

I would like to encourage everybody to experience the Halloween Quest Chain. This is really an awesome piece of Dev work. You will enjoy it. Just in case you are stucked or have no clue at all, here is a quick guide how to participate without revealing too much.

Requirements: Almost none. If you're able to defeat a Mongbat in less than 10 minutes, you're in. But the ability to mark and travel via runes is indeed recommendable. A runebook to various Legacy Dungeons will come in handy, too.

General: Best you turn "All names" on and use the Object Handle key frequently because you will have to find several people and some items in different locations which might be overlooked otherwise.

The quest starts in the Court House in northwest Yew with speaking to Jasper.

Step 1:

Yew
Tell him you will Assist him. Repeat (resp. ask him) every capitalised word and name (like Jared) till you get the location of Eliza.

Step 2:

Minoc
Eliza is in the middle of the city in "Gears and Gadgets".

Ask everything till she names the Master Toymaker Tomas. Don't forget the keyword Letter for you will need one for the next step. Mention the word and it will drop in your packpack.

Step 3:

Trinsic
Tomas is in the Tinker's Guild, one of the northern buildings.

You need to give him Eliza's letter before he will talk to you.

Besides the main keywords like Jared and Project, ask him about the Transients from the Gypsy Camp.

Step 4:

Minoc
The gypsy Alana is right in the middle of the camp south of the city.

Question her about Lydia and Isham, Note and Tore.

Search the camp and a bit outside for the shreds of the letter. Some are inside the tents, so look carefully. Object Handle key is your friend (Ctrl+Shift by default). You need five shreds, then click one of them to put it back together. Read the letter. Head for the Lab.

Step 5:

Minoc Cave
The Lab is hidden in the mines of Minoc, east of the city across the bridge and just north of the Mining Camp. Take the upper entrance into the mountain.

Once inside, you will see the skull mentioned in the letter. Use the keyword "loki". When you give Tiny, the Guard, the letter you assembled, you can go through the doors and examine the lab.

Read Jared's journal on the desk (creepy!) and think about what you just read. You need to take something with you before you leave.

Click the cauldron to get a sample of the Hag's brew. Leave the lab via teleporter next to Tiny.

Step 6:

Grizelda the Hag

She can be found south of Yew, about west of Britain. See also here.

Mark a rune!

Give her the brew sample for bringing her in the mood to help you. Important keywords: Help, Cure, Antidote. Read her book on the table. It will explain what to do next.

How to do this grass-residue-essence-whatever-thing:

There is a decay timer on each item you're working with so keep an eye on them.

1. On Grizelda's table, doubleclick the vial named "Soul Harvester" to get a copy (12000 seconds timer).

2. Get some Moon Grass (600 sec. timer) from e.g. Britain Graveyard or Deceit. Mark a rune there.

3. Kill monsters and click the corpses with the grass. Corpses will go green. Some turn into Corporal Residues (12000 seconds timer), some not. You need four Residues.

The corpses are still lootable and you will find nice Halloween Gifts every now and then (Note: to me it seems that the gifts only drop in 'old' Britannia).

4. Doubleclick one of the four Residues to turn them into one Corporeal Essence (600 sec. timer).

5. Doubleclicking the Corporeal Essence will transform you into a monster. Go into a Britannia Dungeon.

You will now see the Lingering Essences.​

In this monster disguise, you are able to wander the dungeons without getting attacked. (If you get seen and targeted before you transform they will harm you. You will lose your desguise when taking any kind of damage so beware of traps.) You will remain all your ablilities except riding a mount. The form itself varies - assumingly depending what monsters you captured.

6. Just walk through the red sparkles and you will capture them automatically in the vial untill it's full (after five Souls, you will get a message).

7. Head back to Grizelda and combine the vial with the alchemist table for getting a Crystalized Essence. It will be either blue, red or yellow.
Other than the quest items, the reward crystals are not blessed. They have no decay timer.​
8. You may want to get another copy of the vial and do the procedure again. There's no limit or restriction other than the decay of the ingredients.

What the crystals are good for:

Blue: They will cure the poor gypsies from the effect of the dubious experiment. Jared's journal gives some (very vague) hints.
"The blue crystals will be of use in the next story arc. They will not be essential, but will definitely benefit to those who have them." - Sakkarah
Be prepared for the hostile locations:

Sam and Laura are in Shame. Level 3, western Mage tower in the lake.

Isham is in Ice Dungeon. In the cellar where the Ice Fiends spawn.

Carl is in the Orc Cave. Last room on lowest level - where else?

Jared is in the swamp west of Cove and north of Britain. Right in the middle - of a crowd of monsters.

Leto is in the Solen Hive. He is south of the secret garden with the Contraption machine. Take the lower-left hole in Queen's Cave.

Each one needs roughly about 50 blue crystals in total to be cured. If you're the lucky one to apply the last one you will get a Conjurer's Garb robe as a reward. They will reset (fall back to transformed mode) every few hours, so keep checking them.

<- The luck property is not on every one.​

.....................................................................................................

Red: Give those to Tomas, the Toymaker in Trinsic (see location at Step 3 above). He will turn five* crystals into one of four different Halloween costume masks.
*First one for one crystal.
"You should trade all your red crystals for costumes as Tomas will no longer accept crystals once the Halloween event ends on November 15th. You might want to hold on to your costumes (even duplicates) as they may be of interest to someone else in the not too distant future!" - Sakkarah

Skeleton, Gazer, Dream Wraith and Shadow Wyrm. You will look like the original, without giving you their abilities of course. You can't ride a mount while disguised and monsters will attack you as normal. The masks have no durability value so they should be indestructible. I did some testing and could not make them break or wear out.

......................................................................................................

Yellow: Rarest of the three. Doubleclicking will summon a Harbinger. The yellow crystals will remain functional even after the event. See also here.
"You can keep your gold crystals for as long as you wish and summon the Harbinger only when you see fit. There is no deadline on using them." - Sakkarah
The Harbinger is a very evil and powerful creature which will not hesitate to bring your virtual life to a sudden end. Its speciality: all kind of bard attacks, armor-corrupting acid puddles and the abilty of teleporting you next to him. The loot is fine (especially with high luck suit on) and contains occasionally a Conjurer's Garb robe. The possibility to summons it almost everywhere (not in the Abyss, e.g.) offers great potential to challenge or use it. See also here for description.​

.......................................................................................................

Thank you for reading. Feel free to give comments.
For additional informations see also the walkthrough on UOGuide.

:spider:Happy UO Halloween everybody.:spider: :)

P.S.: I really appreciate your nice words regarding this guide. I'm glad that it could be of any use for you. But actually, I just wrote it down. The credits belong to you for your kind cooperativeness and knowledge - and for making Drachenfels such a great Shard to play on.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Halloween Quest - an emergency guide

Thanks.

Don't forget to check monster corpses in the Dungeons.

And get yourself some wonderfull looking Jack o Lanterns from the Pumpkin fields. :)

And don't forget to do Trick or Treat with the NPCs for some candy!

dlwiii

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Great post - thank you! I found that the most confusing part was getting the lingering essences. You have to kill and moon-grass alot of monsters before you get an essence. I thought I was doing something wrong.
But once I got it, I found that I could collect them pretty quickly - just go where there are lots of monsters to kill!

B

Boogieman

Ok, I must be blind or something - I can only find 4 torn bits at these coords:

80' 42''N 86' 12''E
83' 41N 84' 14''E
84' 7''N 88' 31''E
88' 26''N 83'2''E

Somebody help me find the fifth piece please, I'm getting frustrated...

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

85.09 N 84.52 E inside a tent under a chair. Its hard to find.

N

Nenime

Hmm... the different parts seem to respawn daily at different locations. But it's true: this last note is hard to find today. I could only find it after turning Object Handle Dynamics to 'All'. You don't need to click the note itself, just doubleclick the tab.

B

Boogieman

Thanks a lot for the help.
I went to europe and did the quest there - found all 5 pieces with no problems. (Yay - I'm not blind)!

But speaking of this quest. What about the blue crystals. Has anyone found the poor morphed gypsies that we can cure?

N

Nenime

see here:

I should better hide this...

Be prepared for the hostile locations.

Sam and Laura are in Shame. Level 3, western Mage tower in the lake.
Isham is in Ice Dungeon. In the cellar where the Ice Fiends spawn.
Carl is in the Orc Cave. Last room on lowest level - where else?
Jared is in the swamp north of Britain. Right in the middle. Of a crowd of monsters.
Leto is in the Ant Hive. He is south of the secret garden with the Contraption machine. Lower-left hole in Queen's Cave.

Hey, good news! We cured them all :) ...for now.

Of course we heal them out of pure empathy but... *coughs* the shadier, more materially minded side of me is asking what reward can we expect for healing them? Did anyone already get something?

B

Boogieman

I saw one reward in another thread: A robe with 140 luck, 5% defense chance increase and 2 mana regen.

I don't think this is considered a spoiler since all the gypsies on Drachenfels are now cured.

And now I've got five useless blue essence to show for my efforts... bah...

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Gypsies reset after some time. :)

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ah well, being the quest hater I am I guess I'll have to give that one a try, for a change, thanx for the walktrhough :)

L

Legacyee

Great job with the walk through, Thank you
The only problem i've had was finding the red sparklies, do they spawn all the time or just for a short while
The first time I found them no problem but the second time i tried, I only found two and I searched nearly all of the dungeon, maybe it is just just my luck :)

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The sparkles spawn all the time. when you pick one up a new one spawns shortly again somewhere in the dungeon.

For sparkles i go most often to the lower levels of a dungeons or the more dangerous one like Hytloth. Its less likely you run into people there that also picking up sparkles. I'm often in Level 3 and 4 Hytloth.