• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Guild Wars 2 Frequently Asked Questions

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are some of the answers to the many questions of Guild Wars 2 that is known. Now note these are subject to change and will be updated if answers do change.

General Questions

Will there be a monthly/subscription fee?

No. You only need to buy the box or a game key for each account you want to have. You can play as much as you want for free for life.

Will there be micro-transactions to buy items which don't come with the box?

Yes. You will be able to buy items that are cosmetic and are not game changing or unbalancing to the game.

Will players have housing?

Each character will have a home instance in your capital city that will reflect what you do in the game. It will constantly change by your actions in the game.

What is the level cap?

The level cap is 80

Do I have to start a new character to play with a friend who started later then me?

No. GW2 has a sidekick system that will scale you down and up to play the same content.

Will there be crafting?

Yes. There are eight crafting disciplines.

Will GW2 characters be able to jump?

Yes. They added jumping.

Is there mounts in GW2?

No.

Will I be able to swim in GW2?

Yes. ArenaNet has added swimming on top and under the water.

Is there flying in the game?

No

How many character slots will GW2 have?

There will be 5 at the beginning unless that changes before release. You will be able to buy extra character slots through the Guild Wars store as it was the same for the original Guild Wars.

Will there be NPC hereos?

No.

Will there be healers or a healer profession?

No. All characters will be able to self heal.

Can I PvP and PvE with the same character?

Yes.

Will ArenaNet add more races in the future?

Yes. ArenaNet has stated there will be more races added in the future.

Will there be an auction house or a vendor type system in GW2?

Yes. A market place that will support postings for selling and buying for players.

I am a hermit so can I play GW2 solo?

Yes. You can play the whole game solo.

Can I be in more then one guild?

Yes. Each character can be in mutiple guilds at once.

What languages will Guild wars 2 support?

At this time, English, French, and German and other European languages not specified at release. Asain languages will have support added later.

Will I be able to play with my friends that live around the world?

Yes. There is a restriction timer on PvP with transfering servers though.

What are the specs for a computer on running Guild Wars 2?

Guild wars 2 requirements are higher than the original Guild Wars but no requirements have been set in stone from the team. ArenaNet plans to keep the requirements low so that regular PC's will be able to play the game as well as gaming computers.

Is GW2 only for Vista, Windows 7?

No. Xp will also be supported. Mac and Linux systems at this time there is no support for it.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
This is awesome. :)

B

Bella

I hope GW2 will release system specs soon. I plan on buying a new computer and want to have it built around GW2! hahahaha - talk about addictive dedication!!! :bowdown:

Bella

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is what I know Bella about possible specs.

We all know that ArenaNet stated they tested on old outdated computer systems and up to the newest ones.

So they were trying to give a range for players to play. I have came across some topics if your computer can handle GW1 your most likely be able to handle GW2.

If you are investing in a new system, I would definetly go with a decent 3d video card and power supply that can handle it. Ram memory definetly a plus.

Game engine

Guild Wars 2 uses a heavily modified Guild Wars game engine which includes support for true 3D environments, more detailed environments and models, better lighting and shadows, new animation and effects systems, plus new audio and cinematics engines and a more flexible combat and skill-casting system.It uses Havok to provide destructible environment and ragdoll animation of creatures and Umbra's Occlusion culling technology.

Gaile Gray has indicated the game will support DirectX 10, but not require it to play. Guild Wars 2 will use the Havok physics engine and occlusion culling technology licensed from Umbra Software. [5]

Plus you dont have to set your graphics to the highest resolution. Not sure how you are building one or buying but when you look at video cards make sure you have a good high power supply. I would suggest no lower then a 400 watt power supply.

You can always find good deals on computers parts at

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Truthfully though I feel many home computers will be able to handle GW2. If anybody wants to know for sure go try the GW1 free trial and play it in high graphics then low graphics and see how your computer runs with it.

Guild Wars: Free Trial! - Become a Fantasy Legend!

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here Bella. I found this on the guildwars2guru site.

System Requirements - Recently we found out a tidbit of info regarding system requirements, ANet has been testing the game on video cards so old that they need to get it on special order because it's no longer manufactured. Looking at Newegg that means those GPUs are from around 2002/2003. I've also seen them say that they really don't even develop their games on high end hardware so that they don't forget about the lower end of the hardware spectrum. The GW2 engine is a modified version of the GW1 engine and if they manage to allow people to even run the game on such old hardware, I'll be amazed. Most games these days have minimum specs of 3 year hardware, the possibility of 8 years is mind-boggling.

B

Bella

Wow! That's great! I will probably be all set then since I tried the GW1 trial and that ran just fine.

Bella

B

Bella

They're using some interesting technology for GW2.

Havok for destructible environments & ragdoll physics.

Umbra for occlusion culling. Whatever that means. :p
Eek... never heard of such things! My hubby went ahead and bought me a new tower. I was looking at Alienware because I think they are cool, but really, do I need a 3 to 5k computer? He didn't think so, lolol. Thanks for these links Scarsdale, they are great!! I love to know what is going on even when I don't quite understand the whole package!

Bella

S

Scarsdale Punk

I think most game companies want to reach as many customers as possible these days. They always seem to make the game run fine on lower-mid end machines. Of course games are usually extra gorgeous on the more expensive rigs. But I'm sure you'll be fine.

sufei marso

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I think most game companies want to reach as many customers as possible these days. They always seem to make the game run fine on lower-mid end machines. Of course games are usually extra gorgeous on the more expensive rigs. But I'm sure you'll be fine.
yeah i agree with that, that is why many game company likes that..I know one website is nice, as i have bought there 3 times.like buy from igxe webiste with code ( IGXECODE69562 )