• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Guides for a new player?

OhhPaigey

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey, so I'm wondering if there's any guides around for this game, it seems pretty fun but I'm completely lost and not sure what I should be doing lol, thanks. :)

OhhPaigey

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks! I'll check that out, right now I'm just trying to figure out where to get Fire Dust to learn new spells.

I'm also wondering if it's worth saving things like Cheap Meat, Spider Webs, Grass, Eyeballs, ect. And what items should I be keeping? I've gotten some yellow/purple/green/blue named drops so far, but I have no idea if they're good or not.

Last edited:

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well OhhPaigey, you can do a search on YouTube and be able to find a bunch of videos on project:gorgon. Some go over certain systems, some don't. Below I linked a video I made recently, that does briefly go over the NPC favor system, which some of the items your wondering on saving could be used to gain favor with certain NPC's.

As for drops, I really have been playing around with them to figure out if they're good or not. Specifically with the combat skills I am using so I'm definitely not the best person to ask on that one, maybe someone else can speak to that but most of the gear I have found is somewhat straight forward.

*Edit* - Just to mention that some of those items your wondering on saving could be used for crafting as well. With the depth this game already has, many items can be used for many things.

Gorgonzola

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
In general yes if you get a lot of something like spider legs it's worth keeping as these items stack they make efficient use of your inventory space. Later you may find a NPC that likes that kind of gifts... If in doubt, store the items with Hulon the vaultmaster.

I think you can gift the spider legs to Velkort.. but when you are at low favor (Neutral, Comfortable), you're probably better off focusing on their quests if there are any to advance favor.

There is not much going on at trading atm anyway, since things are in a state of flux, players generally dont extremely value anything and you'll often find high level players offering items on chat. With that in mind, keep the uncommon items (green/cyan/etc) as gifts to earn a good chunk of favor from NPCs like Joeh.

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
In general yes if you get a lot of something like spider legs it's worth keeping as these items stack they make efficient use of your inventory space. Later you may find a NPC that likes that kind of gifts... If in doubt, store the items with Hulon the vaultmaster.

I think you can gift the spider legs to Velkort.. but when you are at low favor (Neutral, Comfortable), you're probably better off focusing on their quests if there are any to advance favor.

There is not much going on at trading atm anyway, since things are in a state of flux, players generally dont extremely value anything and you'll often find high level players offering items on chat. With that in mind, keep the uncommon items (green/cyan/etc) as gifts to earn a good chunk of favor from NPCs like Joeh.
The other thing I would add to this is if you find your vault fills up quick, keep working on favor with other NPC's as well cause with some you can open up storage with as well, like Joeh.

Gorgonzola

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The other thing I would add to this is if you find your vault fills up quick, keep working on favor with other NPC's as well cause with some you can open up storage with as well, like Joeh.
Ah yes I forgot his storage wasn't available at Neutral, do you know per chance what favor it required?

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ah yes I forgot his storage wasn't available at Neutral, do you know per chance what favor it required?
I want to say once I completed his favor quests for the tigers I was able to use it. Notice there were 2 if I recall correctly for tigers.

1st quest - kill 5 tigers
2nd quest - get 2 cat eyes

Pretty sure once I got both of those done, storage was available for use. I don't recall the exact favor level and unfortunately not sure how to check favor lvl yet, only know how to see % to next favor lvl.

OhhPaigey

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Well OhhPaigey, you can do a search on YouTube and be able to find a bunch of videos on project:gorgon. Some go over certain systems, some don't. Below I linked a video I made recently, that does briefly go over the NPC favor system, which some of the items your wondering on saving could be used to gain favor with certain NPC's.

As for drops, I really have been playing around with them to figure out if they're good or not. Specifically with the combat skills I am using so I'm definitely not the best person to ask on that one, maybe someone else can speak to that but most of the gear I have found is somewhat straight forward.

*Edit* - Just to mention that some of those items your wondering on saving could be used for crafting as well. With the depth this game already has, many items can be used for many things.
Watched it, thank you!

And thanks for all of the replies. :D

Does anybody know where to find Fire Dust?

rhonen

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
When I first started out and needed tons of coin I tried to sell everything I could. Now that I have been in the game a few weeks I am looking to increase my skills and my favor with NPC's rather than in a desperate need of cash. I try to hoard pretty much anything that I find that I can use now or at some future point in gaining favor or to increase skills that I have not already maxed out. To do this requires a lot of bank space. You can purchase new single bank slots from the banker but eventually it will get very expensive. I think I currently have 33 open bank slot and I want to pick up more in a few more weeks. To organize my hoard I have created 5 Mules and I park them all at the transfer chest in the bank. Each of my mules only carry certain things so it helps me know which mule to log in to find a particular item(s).

I hope this helps.

Ratero.

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I will hopefully be making another video sometime this weekend. If there is something specific you think new players would really love to know, system wise, let me know and I will look into adding into the video.

OhhPaigey

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hmm, I think it'd be nice to have a guide somewhere showing where you can learn skills around the world, like Animal Handling and Necromancy.

Gorgonzola

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well there are two wikis you can access ingame easily by typing /wiki or /wikia.

/wikia goes to the site Helio linked earlier in the thread. /wiki (4 letters) goes to http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/

Lookup whichever one you like, or both. :)

Eg.

/wiki animal handling

/wikia necromancy

edit: Oh I guess you meant a video maybe? Yeah it would be nice to see video guides for the game, that's a lot of work though!

eggsalicious

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Here are a few tips to make your gameplay easier. As previously mentioned, items have several uses, so my first tip is:

1. Make mule characters and save everything (especially meat,fruit, skins and skulls). Sell white quality weapons and bank everything else. Give your mules intuitive names.
2. Get mentalism as soon as you can. It will reduce your downtime by a lot.
3. Get favor with Joeh ASAP to start surveying which leads to mining which leads to free saltpeter (very imp if you are fire magic).
4. If you are sword spec (who am I kidding, it's only Brindle and I maining sword anymore but w/e) save all your staves for Hogan in Eltibule. He needs 850 million staves to let you into his keep, so start early.
5. Save all swords you get. The Gob in Hogan's keep needs a zillion swords for adv sword skill favor.
6. Make sure you use at least one skill from each discipline on every fight for max xp. Buffs work here.
7. Make sure you buy every upgrade for every level of fire magic or sword. You'll need to swap out for lower level abilities when trying to piggy-back (level-up) other disciplines. You will only need to buy the last tier of abilities for the new skills as your main skill + gear will be sufficient to grind the new ones up to 50.
8. Unless you're doing 'endgame stuff' in your main spec, never kill stuff/farm with 2 50 skills unless you have all skills at 50. Make sure you're always leveling at least 1 skill.
9. Don't sell quest rewards that are not gear-- other NPCs will generally take them for favor.
10. Farm Crypt until you are 15/20. Always grp there if you can. The game doesn't have a trivial loot code, so you can go back and get items/notoriety you missed later. Somewhere between lvl 15-20 (and with gear at that level with skill stats) start in on Gob dungeon. Two words; FARM AGALPA. Is probably the best place in the game to level everything until about 35, make money (cheese farming ftw!), learn Goblinese, learn art-appreciation, and collect favor items. It's packed now but pretty nice in off-times. With the right belts, you can farm enough swords and staves for Hogan and the Goblin in a few hours.
11. You can set tab to select enemies only in options. You can change the FOV there too.
12. Almost everyone likes sausages. Almost nobody hates sausages.
13. Level shield until you get at least one rank of Take the Lead. It'll cut down your travel time significantly.
14. + dmg % stacks.
15. If possible, always eat food AND drink something. Goblin soup in Goblin Dungeon or in Hogan's keep is free but annoying to get every hour. Black soup drops from orcs in Kur and lasts 2 hrs.
16. Levelling Bchem is extremely expensive. Just, damn.
17. Farm a pile of skins or buy them from Jack to give to Marna ASAP so you can get first aid stuff and cures.
18. Always split a single favor item off of a stack to give to NPCs to test if their favor rewards are broken or not. If you give your entire stack of items to an NPC who is supposed to love that item but gives you only 1 favor, you will be sad inna pants (I'm Looking at You New Zone Fairy in Front of the Tree).

There's more, but I'm tired now.

OhhPaigey

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks a lot for the tips! :D

I tried to get Mentalism unlocked but I couldn't figure it out lol.

awollsd

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
didn't read all (again as posted a min ago on other forum I'm trying to hurry threw I'm not on long) but...

6. Make sure you use at least one skill from each discipline on every fight for max xp. Buffs work here.

is not needed. you mearly have to cast a skill from the discipline once every 60 seconds. like when I'm leveling an off skill i'll main fire or druid (now) and i'll cast a skill from the combat skill I'm leveling once every 3-5 fights.

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Here are a few tips to make your gameplay easier. As previously mentioned, items have several uses, so my first tip is:

1. Make mule characters and save everything (especially meat,fruit, skins and skulls). Sell white quality weapons and bank everything else. Give your mules intuitive names.
2. Get mentalism as soon as you can. It will reduce your downtime by a lot.
3. Get favor with Joeh ASAP to start surveying which leads to mining which leads to free saltpeter (very imp if you are fire magic).
4. If you are sword spec (who am I kidding, it's only Brindle and I maining sword anymore but w/e) save all your staves for Hogan in Eltibule. He needs 850 million staves to let you into his keep, so start early.
5. Save all swords you get. The Gob in Hogan's keep needs a zillion swords for adv sword skill favor.
7. Make sure you buy every upgrade for every level of fire magic or sword. You'll need to swap out for lower level abilities when trying to piggy-back (level-up) other disciplines. You will only need to buy the last tier of abilities for the new skills as your main skill + gear will be sufficient to grind the new ones up to 50.
8. Unless you're doing 'endgame stuff' in your main spec, never kill stuff/farm with 2 50 skills unless you have all skills at 50. Make sure you're always leveling at least 1 skill.
9. Don't sell quest rewards that are not gear-- other NPCs will generally take them for favor.
10. Farm Crypt until you are 15/20. Always grp there if you can. The game doesn't have a trivial loot code, so you can go back and get items/notoriety you missed later. Somewhere between lvl 15-20 (and with gear at that level with skill stats) start in on Gob dungeon. Two words; FARM AGALPA. Is probably the best place in the game to level everything until about 35, make money (cheese farming ftw!), learn Goblinese, learn art-appreciation, and collect favor items. It's packed now but pretty nice in off-times. With the right belts, you can farm enough swords and staves for Hogan and the Goblin in a few hours.
11. You can set tab to select enemies only in options. You can change the FOV there too.
12. Almost everyone likes sausages. Almost nobody hates sausages.
13. Level shield until you get at least one rank of Take the Lead. It'll cut down your travel time significantly.
14. + dmg % stacks.
15. If possible, always eat food AND drink something. Goblin soup in Goblin Dungeon or in Hogan's keep is free but annoying to get every hour. Black soup drops from orcs in Kur and lasts 2 hrs.
16. Levelling Bchem is extremely expensive. Just, damn.
17. Farm a pile of skins or buy them from Jack to give to Marna ASAP so you can get first aid stuff and cures.
18. Always split a single favor item off of a stack to give to NPCs to test if their favor rewards are broken or not. If you give your entire stack of items to an NPC who is supposed to love that item but gives you only 1 favor, you will be sad inna pants (I'm Looking at You New Zone Fairy in Front of the Tree).

There's more, but I'm tired now.
This is very handy and will help a lot! Thanks, it answered a lot of questions that I was missing, although still have a lot to learn how to do some of the things in this list.

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well there are two wikis you can access ingame easily by typing /wiki or /wikia.

/wikia goes to the site Helio linked earlier in the thread. /wiki (4 letters) goes to http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/

Lookup whichever one you like, or both. :)

Eg.

/wiki animal handling

/wikia necromancy

edit: Oh I guess you meant a video maybe? Yeah it would be nice to see video guides for the game, that's a lot of work though!
I am working on getting videos made although my knowledge of the game is still very limited. If I can figure out how to get some of the skills listed unlocked, specifically Mentalism and understand how some of the crafting works, I will be able to continue to get movies out to help folks figure out how to do some of this stuff.

However still practicing on making the movies, so they aren't the greatest yet, but getting there.

*Edit* - I say, if anyone is interested in showing me in game how some of these crafting systems work, or at least how to get started that would be great. If not, I plan on working on this tonight and over the course of this week and will get the videos out as quickly as possible. Although right now it seems I am easily able to get a video out once a week.

If someone is interested in working with me on understanding the crafting, send me a msg here and we will setup a time and date to work on it.

Last edited: