• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Guide to beginner tamer

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok someone referred you to play UO, and has got you past the getting it loaded. You got your account stuff done and got past the introduction part. You are now standing in the middle of a town called New Haven with no clue what to do. Some other character appears walks past with a huge red dragon in tow named Hazel. He walks to a building says stall and poof the dragon is gone from sight. Your impressed with that, next you see everyone riding horse's, and other creatures, of different colors even some that appear to be invisible. Now at some point someone is going to walk up and start talking to you. Don't worry it's cause you have that Young Tag over your head. To us it means you are a new player something we don't see much these days. Now normally this is where they take you around show you stuff, maybe give you items, and gold, to help start ya out. Maybe even give advice on what to do and where to go. So now you have learned about templates a little, and would like to be like that first person you saw with dragon in tow. First you will need the right template. Here is the list of skills that are required for a tamer.
1. Animal Taming
2. Animal Lore
3. Veterinary
These are the three primary skills to taming, you can add other skills to assist you further in your new role as a tamer. Now there are many sources for how to build/gain skills, here, uoguide, and in game, many many places to learn this information. Now the basics how to tame, walk up to the animal click it once, then click the tame menu, you start to tame it. Simple right well you might want to set up a macro for this. As the harder and bigger the animal the more it will want to eat you. This is simple depending on what client you use. Again the information can be found here or uoguide or in game from other players. There are huge volumes of information on what to tame, where to tame them. even power calculators to tell you how good yur new pet is. There is even more information on the other skills you will want to assist you further in your new life as a tamer. The best thing you can do is ask others to help. Except when it comes to taming the blaze cu all bets are off then.:lol: This should help some people, i realize it's not in depth but it does cover some of the basics, and should point you in the right direction for information.

J

Jlapps

Ok someone referred you to play UO, and has got you past the getting it loaded. You got your account stuff done and got past the introduction part. You are now standing in the middle of a town called New Haven with no clue what to do.

Some other character appears walks past with a huge red dragon in tow named Hazel. He walks to a building says stall and poof the dragon is gone from sight. Your impressed with that, next you see everyone riding horse's, and other creatures, of different colors even some that appear to be invisible.

Now at some point someone is going to walk up and start talking to you. Don't worry it's cause you have that Young Tag over your head. To us it means you are a new player something we don't see much these days. Now normally this is where they take you around show you stuff, maybe give you items, and gold, to help start ya out. Maybe even give advice on what to do and where to go.

So now you have learned about templates a little, and would like to be like that first person you saw with dragon in tow. First you will need the right template. Here is the list of skills that are required for a tamer:

1. Animal Taming
2. Animal Lore
3. Veterinary

These are the three primary skills to taming, you can add other skills to assist you further in your new role as a tamer. Now there are many sources for how to build/gain skills: here, uoguide, and in game, many many places to learn this information.

Now the basics how to tame, walk up to the animal click it once, then click the tame menu, you start to tame it. Simple right well you might want to set up a macro for this. As the harder and bigger the animal the more it will want to eat you. This is simple depending on what client you use. Again the information can be found here or uoguide or in game from other players. There are huge volumes of information on what to tame, where to tame them. even power calculators to tell you how good yur new pet is.

There is even more information on the other skills you will want to assist you further in your new life as a tamer. The best thing you can do is ask others to help. Except when it comes to taming the blaze cu all bets are off then.:lol: This should help some people, i realize it's not in depth but it does cover some of the basics, and should point you in the right direction for information.
Awesome summary of how to start a tamer :) I formatted it so that's it's a little easier to read. I think it's time we did have a short guide for new tamers, and this is a great start! The FAQ has a ton of good info, which a lot of people have put tons of work into - Kitiara and Wenchkin especially have done a ton everywhere on this forum. But, it would be great to get a fresh start and have a consolidated 'taming basics' thread :) I think just a small thread would be a good start, and to that end I'll make a post with a few templates and a little starting advice.

Again, steller start though!

J

Jlapps

TEMPLATES:

Ok, so you saw the dragon person, or perhaps someone with a big, burly beetle, or a huge chicken-monster go by, or maybe you saw them destroying the brigands you have a hard time with, their monsters effortlessly tearing them apart while they sat and talked. You want to have that kind of power, with all sorts of cool and fearsome beasts following you around! And, in reading the first part of the guide, you know the skills you need to get started. But how do you compliment these skills? What can make the process easier, or give you even more power than your pets could give? Here I'll outline a few basic templates that give even more variety and power to your new Animal tamer!

A template is a set of skills and stats that work together to make your character. Each of the templates detailed below assume that the reader is new to the profession: each one has a total of seven skills, which are assumed to be taken to 100 skill each, giving the new account total of 700 skills. Since these are rough guidelines, I didn't say exactly how many points each skill should have. Each skill will likely begin between 30 and 50 points, depending on how the character is created. (Since new characters can only start with three - four of these skills, the rest will need to be trained manually or through the purchase of training using gold).

Some common templates are as follows:

Mage tamer:
Animal Taming
Animal Lore
Veterinary (all templates will have these three, so I won't be listing them for each one - it's assumed that you know to take these).
Magery
Meditation
Evaluate Intelligence
Resisting Spells

The pro's of this template are that you have powerful magic to help heal your pet, blast your enemies, and perform utility like teleporting, creating food for you and your pet, providing light at night, returning fallen allies to life and more.

The con's of this template are that many monsters at once can cause you problems, and your health may be lower here than with other characters. You also lose the usefulness of your many summoning spells, as your pets fulfill this purpose.

Bard -tamer
Musicianship
Magery
either meditation or evaluate intelligence
either peacemaking, provocation, or discordance

The pro's of this build include good utility from magery, and very effective ways to influence whole groups of monsters using your musical skills. Peacemaking can pacify one creature for a good amount of time, or many for a short period - just enough to run for your life! Provocation can make monsters fight each other, making the winner easier to tame or drawing fire off of you and your pet. Discordance is a very powerful skill that lowers your target's skills! This means it does less damage and takes more from anything that attacks it! In a group especially, having a person with Discordance is valuable.

The cons here are that your damage is almost all pet-dependant, especially if you don't have Discordance. If you do take Evaluate intelligence, your damage ability increases significantly - while your mana pool lasts, which may not be very long! You will likely have high intelligence and dexterity - which means pretty low health!

Treasure hunter tamer:
Cartography
Lockpicking
Magery
Meditation or Evaluating Intelligence

The pros of this template are that you can open treasure chests and follow treasure maps! This can be a great pastime, and your pets put you in good stead to deal with the monsters that will invariably be guarding your treasure. You also have the utility and ease of transport Magery provides.

The con's of this template are that if your pets die, or you get seperated from them, you're in trouble. You'll have either very little damage ability or very little mana regeneration. You have no way to control crowds, especially for a longer span of time. Your ability to deal with treasure guardians solo is tied to your pets.

Warrior Tamer:
fighting skill
chivalry
tactics
anatomy / resisting spells / lumberjacking / bowcraft & fletching

There are several choices available for your last skill. Anatomy provides you with better damage. Resisting spells will help mitigate the curses, paralysis, and poisons that will inevitably come your way when you go toe-to-toe with the scarier monsters. Lumberjacking is useful ONLY if you use axes, because it confers a damage bonus. Fletching can be nice if you're an archer-tamer, so you can make your own weapons and ammunition.

The pro's of this template are that you can heal, remove curses and remove poison. You also have the ability to resurrect, and Sacred Journey provides a good means of transportation. You also have great damage at your disposal. The chivalry skill Enemy of One's power cannot be understated in a one-on-one fight. You will probably have higher HP than other tamers, as melee fighting naturally raises your strength, especially as a lumberjack.

The con's of this template stem largely from having to get close to the bigger monsters. Many monsters, such as Dragons, Rune Beetles, and Nightmares, hit very hard. Many also have poisonous bites, cause bleeding wounds, and make it harder to heal. Some even have these AND magic abilities, which can be pretty frightening! Getting clawed by a dragon, then roasted by fire breath and magically poisoned can make you panic in a hurry!

This is a brief explanation of the more common Animal Taming templates, what skills they use and their pro's and con's :) I hope this is informative! And, good luck taming that perfect monstrous killing machine! I'm sure there will be more added to this thread, as well.

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok you picked your template thanks to above post. Time to train your skills. This is going to be a long and sometimes boring task. I advise you to take breaks often join a good guild, and go off on hunts with them. Or go to some of the easier dungeons and hunt some there. Don't get discouraged you will get to the level of those guys. That comes in and there pet wipes the screen clean of bad guys. You start off taming and releasing horse's and progress from there. the pet commands are in a menu, you click the pet to get the menu. These also can be put into macro's for easier use. Keep in mind some pets you can make gold from selling to other players too. The stables in town is where you will store the pets you want to keep either to sell or for yourself. Your level in skills determine how many you get to keep since SA you get 4 slots to start with. To put them up you walk up and say stall or stable. to get them out you say claim or claim pet name. Oh i forgot you can rename pets. Click n drag on the pet produces a health bar. Dbl click inside will cause a cursor to appear. You can then rename the pet. Note reuse the spaces as you can't put them in.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great info here!

A little note to add to the last tidbit about stabling pets - make sure you have gold in the bank in the form of gold pieces, because the stable masters will not accept checks :)

I was thinking some info on the mechanics of taming specific creatures might be nice. There are great walk-through's in the FAQ on how to lead-tame aggressive creatures, for example, but each critter is just a little bit different from the others. When I started taming cu sidhes, I had a friend to explain all of the in's and out's of them (like, how, if they get a bleed-attack bite off on your behind, they will continue to aggro after you even if you peace them or invis yourself and reappear). I had to figure out the quirks of greater dragons on my own. If we compiled some experiences of how to tame various popular creatures with the various templates, that could be helpful (I would love to such a thing for bane dragons, as I haven't tried to tame one yet).

I'd be glad to contribute some info for the peace-tamer template.

J

Jlapps

I haven't done a lot of aggressive tames yet, besides the bake kitsune on my mage tamer. I will note some quirks I found though doing these :) and of course, giant beetles.

Giant Beetle: 29.1 minimum skill

Many tamers will, at one point or another, tame a few of these. They're a favorite of craftsmen, as is their cousin the Fire Beetle. These blue beetles can be used as a mount, have moderate combat ability, and also have a backpack! The combination of a 1600 stone max weight and the ability to handle any mid-level monsters a craftsman may encounter make them valuable, and profitable for a tamer.

This creature has two pretty significant features to be aware of when taming. First, the creature must be beaten into subjugation before it can be tamed. To beat into subjugation means to reduce a monster's hit points to 25% or less. This makes the monster slow and weak, and in some cases beating the creature into subjugation is required - in others, it's just helpful. In the case of the Giant, and Fire, beetles this is required.

The second feature is that if you strike the beetle with a ranged attack, it greatly increases speed. Beetles hit hard, even in good equipment, so it's suggested you have a way to either stop it or heal yourself quickly if you do use ranged attacks like spells. The beetle will slow again after the first attack or two, so if you can handle that (which you should be able to) you can regain distance and keep whittling away.

As a mage-tamer, the most efficient way to tame these beasts is to isolate it (this is infinitely easier if you take the time to become a friend of the Solen Hive) and then use the fifth-circle Magery spell 'Blade Spirit'. Let the spirit beat the beetle down to about 1/3 of it's health, then use the sixth-circle spell 'Dispel' to remove your summoned spirit. Hit the beetle with 'Mind Blast', a fifth-circle spell, once or twice. You will see a message stating 'A giant beetle has been beaten into subjugation!' or something to that effect. When you do, begin your tame!

It is important to note that even when the beetle has been beaten and is fleeing, STAY OUT OF MELEE. It will still hit you if you get too close! This will interrupt the tame, and they still pack a punch! The beetle has no magic, so it will only heal slowly over time. If it heals above 25%, use a low-circle spell like Fireball to push it back under.

I've tamed many, many beetles, and this is the tried-and-true method I use. Absolutely feel free to use scrolls if you cannot cast the spells from your spellbook reliably - casting from a scroll lowers the difficulty of the spell by two circles -i.e. casting 'Blade Spirit' from a scroll is as easy as casting 'Fireball' from your spellbook.

J

Jlapps

Bake Kitsune: 80.7 minimum taming

The Bake Kitsune is one of a handful of strong, lower-skill tameables. These will beat their drake and imp counterparts pretty handily, but are outclassed by more difficult monsters. Still, these are excellent pets for the level at which you can get them! It's a great idea to grab one or two to hunt with while you're still raising skill.

The big difference in taming a Kitsune is that they use magic, and they do several unique things with that magic.

First, the kitsune uses a slew of spells and from my experience, likes to use magical poison. These spells can be very painful, so be prepared! You cannot heal while poisoned, so have our finger on your 'Cure' spell if you're a mage, bandages, or Cleanse by Fire for a paladin.

Second, the kitsune will cast 'teleport' from time to time if it is not near you, teleporting right on top of you. This will give the kitsune a chance to melee you, thus breaking any attempt at taming and possibly triggering its Rage attack. The rage attack does a small amount of damage over time - I don't believe this will interrupt taming attempts, but it's still a nuisance.

The last thing a kitsune will do is periodically use the 'Polymorph' spell to take the shape of a human. This is both a blessing and a curse. Be warned: the NPC name will appear in BLUE, indicating it is friendly. Always look at the paperdoll! 'So-and-so the mystical llamaherder' is not a nice person who tends llamas! I have personally been killed by these, and the little kitsune laugh after they do it is very humiliating.

The blessing to this is that a polymorphed kitsune, once engaged in combat will cast NO MAGIC. No more poison, no paralyze, no explosion or energy bolts. They hit hard in melee, but as a mage tamer this makes them delightfully simple tames. Work their HP down so that they move slowly, then just keep a step or two ahead of them while you try to tame. No magic means no self-healing, too!

For a mage-tamer, the most efficient method for taming these involves the use of a very handy, nearby creature: the Gaman. Tame three of these, sic them on a kitsune, and let them die. By the time your meat-shields go down, the kitsune will be at lower HP and have used most of it's mana. Whittle it down with spells, keep out of melee, and you'll find success. Be warned though: kitsunes have very rapid mana regeneration! It can be useful to poison the kitsune if you're careful, so that it must take mana and time to cure itself before it can heal.

If the kitsune is healing itself up, cast 'Blade Sprit' once or twice. The bake kitsune will dispel them, but it takes time and mana for it to do so. The spirits can usually get a little damage in, especially if the kitsune is low on mana. Just be ready to dispel them if your prospective tame gets low on HP.

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok Thanks to the above post you have an idea on the mage tamer template.
The bardic Tamer is going to make you mad a few times, if your the mage tamer.
This is the Tamer with bard skills mainly music, and peace making. He simply walks up you hear a tune play the monster goes calm, and he tames it in peace and quiet, with out getting so much as a scratch. Then walks off with that nice new pet smell in his wake. Of course this template takes practice too and you will still need Mage skill. There is inherent difficulties to each template discussed here. Most of these are in the level of skills. You are limited to 700 points, until you get to a certain account age, then you get 720. So say you want to 120 tame, lore, and vet. Well that's 360 points now lets add music, and peace at 120. Your now at 600 next we add gm/100 mage, and bam no room for anything else. Hence your spells wont do much damage, or be as strong as other mages. Not to mention your suite is going to have to make up for a lot. But that's a different story here we are just covering tamer's. Suite building is whole different game. Do note you do not have to take the skill to 120, besides to do so you need what's called power scrole's, and there not cheap or easy to get. But to tame everything that is in game at this point. I suggest 115 skill levels of tame, and lore. The thing is the higher the skill the better, and faster, more able to succeed with that skill. Not to mention controlling pets and more slots in the barn/stables.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lead-taming Greater Dragons with Peacemaking

Lead-taming greater dragons with peacemaking
104.7 minimum taming

I peace-tame greater dragons. 120 peace/120 music with jewels.

I like to do this in the clearing south of the Daemon Temple on the Isle of Fire, but I've done it in Destard as well (preferably away from spawn).

I have an area-peace macro set (i.e. use peace skill on yourself).

Find a dragon and area-peace near it. Walk up to the dragon and when the music stops (i.e. your skill timer resets), start spamming your tame macro.

You'll get 5-10 attempts in (mostly failures). As soon as the dragon takes a step towards you, hit the area peace macro again to stop his aggression.

Regroup and retry.

Once you get a successful attempt, you'll lead-tame the dragon, walking forward while he angrily follows you. Stay a few steps in front of the dragon, but don't get too far away. Otherwise, your tame attempt will fail. In the time it takes to either succeed or fail at the tame attempt, you'll usually take 1 fire breath. (G-drags do 100% physical damage so make sure your armor suit is maxed out on physical resist). If you fail, immediately hit the area peace key. Heal up if necessary and start again.

If you succeed, voila!

It took me about a week of dying to get the timing of the macros down, but now that I have it, it's fairly easy and I rarely die. If you get into a situation where the dragon is pounding on you, just area peace and run away.

Area peace gives just enough time to get into position and hit macros. It's not a long peace like directly peacing a creature, but direct peace often fails on high level monsters like g-drags. Having a dragon slayer instrument helps.

I like this way because I don't need to worry about honor points or really anything... it's all skill based. And there's a little bit of adrenaline involved to keep it interesting.

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As you have read through this you get the idea. Tamers only weapon is there pet/pet's. So it is a good idea to be picky on what ones you keep. The monster guide here, has a wealth of information on stats, and other such information, on the pet you are taming. You will want the strongest, or fastest, or maybe the smartest. That decision is ultimately yours to make, however there is a handy pet power calculator in the sticky post above. That will give you an idea of how strong a pet you have. Keep in mind all skills on a pet plus some stats can be trained up to gm or better levels. They're all different and they will develop there own personalities as you travel, hunt, and adventure with them.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*pokes ya back* Please don't bump threads :p

I'm going to sticky this thread for others to contribute info for a beginners guide - then we can try to compile the info into a final version for the FAQ.

There's also a list of pages that need to be written in the FAQ discussion thread - so if anybody feels energetic and you want to write something, there's plenty to choose from.

Wenchy

J

Jlapps

Whoo! Just started around here and I'm in a sticky! I feel special lol :p

Anyway, I feel it's important to note that, for many templates, your pet isn't your only weapon - however, it is your strongest one! It is very important, for that reason, to choose a good one. If the weapon you want serves as a tank, meaning it takes the hits, you want one with good HP and resists. If, however, you have another tank - a friend, a different pet, maybe you yourself - these are a little less important, though still important. For a damage-oriented pet, find one with good strength, high skills and possibly good int / mana.

I'll also add some general guidelines for raising taming - I know many of these can be found in the FAQ, which is an excellent resource, but they may be a little more accessible here.

-Raise Animal Taming before other skills. You want to have low total skills when you raise your taming because of the way Guaranteed Gain of Skill works. The full explanation is in the FAQ, but the short version is that the fewer total skill points you have, the faster you will gain.
-Break up the skill some. Many find taming endlessly very tedious, and to an extent it is. Train up a combat skill or trade skill some. This gives a means to make a little money and keeps things interesting. Or, use taming jewelry to raise your skill and go do some challenging taming - then stable the animals, remove jewelry and resume normal taming.
-Use jewelry. Not only can this be used as above, but if you're at a skill level where your target tameables are spread out, aggressive, or hard to find, use jewelry to boost your skill so that you can tame other things.
-Use the internet. Obviously, if you're reading this you know this one. There's a ton of info though. These forums are amazing, and Stratics itself has tons of good taming info. There are other sites that also have helpful information as well.
-Plan ahead. Again, as you gain more total skills, your guaranteed gains are less frequent. If you start as a melee-tamer, and find it isn't to your liking, there's nothing stopping you from switching your template around - but it'll be slower than starting your new template of choice from the beginning.
-Don't give up, don't get discouraged. Especially during the harder tames, dying several times to get a creature, or dying several times only to have your prospective pet killed, really bites! Don't be discouraged though - ask others on your shard, post on the forums, read the stickies. Someone will have good tips on how to snag that perfect Nightmare or Rune Beetle. Seek advice if you're having trouble raising skill, too! I did, and I'm glad!

And believe it or not, there are more monotonous skills to raise than Taming - Hiding, Stealth, and Fishing all come to mind. Just keep at it! Taming is immensely rewarding for the persistent and determined :)

And finally, thanks a tone Wenchkin for the sticky!

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah yes thank you for the sticky pin.. Feel free to cut, copy, paste as you see fit.
Maybe take all of this and some others and combine them into one huge beginner guide? I noticed more n more people have came to the board for this info. So maybe we could insert some links if needed? Alas I am not the forum super warrior that most others are. Big thanks to all who help me with this endeavor.:thumbup1:

L

Legacyee

May i just add, that in the early days of taming when you are taming non-aggressive animals, I found it helps to have herding. You double click the crook and target the animal you wish to tame then target yourself and the animal will follow you whilst you tame it(saves chasing after your new pet)
you can also use it on aggerssive animals with care, it can be a fun skill if you use it right, but you might want to drop it later for the points

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I little piece of advice that has made my life as tamer much easier regarding aggressive pets :

Once the taming has begun, you don't want to hit the pet as it would break the taming attempt.

Meaning that even though you're being attacked, once you get the message saying that you begin taming the pet, you can't fight back or you'll never be able to tame it.
The problem with that is that because it's attacking you, if you come too close your char will try to hit, even with just fists.

The best way to avoid it : get a bow in your hands and make sure you don't have any ammunition in your backpack. That prevents you to do any damage and you'll never break the taming attempt.

Note for self : when taming cu's if you loot a changeling, don't take the arrows you dummy ! :p

Last edited:

Aragoni

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run this on Gargoyle (hate going to foot)

120 Taming
110 Lore
100 Veterinary

100 Eval Int
80 Meditation
115 Magery
120 SW

= 720 Cap / + 25 on Magery on Items (Option 120 Magery white +30 on Items)

The Problem is that i have no 2h mage weapon for taming and haven t the room for + skill again for 1h weapon :(
That must fixed that staff of magi can be altered and an gargoyle version for mark of travesty that i can save 20 more points to optimized it !!

Last edited:

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the use of soulstones I'm about to modify my peace tamer into a peace/disco tamer :

Taming/lore/vet 120 real skill for masteries and stable slots
Magery 100
Music 120 and peace OR disco 120 real skills for masteries

If I'm going to tame I use peace, if I'm going to fight a crowd I'll use peace but when I'm going to fight something big or when I'll be in a group I'll switch to disco

I use real skills as indicated above which has the added advantage to free mods on my suit for luck so I have a 1300 luck all 70's 100 LRC and 10 LMC/MR. I'm also in the process to change some stuff around so I can add more mana related mods for the masteries. I hope to achieve max LMC/MR and as much MI or +int as possible.
the 20 remaining skillpoints will go into focus (elf) for more MR and if I'm lucky enough to find a nice +focus piece that fits it would be even better.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Concerning bard/tamer:

Once you approach GM in all your skills....

If you forego EI and Med, you can build a character that is Taming/Lore/Vet/Music/(Bard skill 1)/(bard skill 2)/Magery. To optimize, you will need to be an elf.

With the right equipment (song woven mantle for the sleeves, a talisman from the Brit library (tamer or bard), a +magery spellbook (such as the +15 ones from several events in the past), and jewelry imbued with +15 magery and 2 other skills each - different skills for ring & bracelet, other than Magery on both), you can easily end up with a modified skill template of 6x120 + magery around 100.

Maximize luck and mana regen, on an all-med suit; max your natural INT and add additional INT and Mana as is convenient. You should be able to take two skills to 115-120 real skill easily (Taming, for control of your pet after you get rezzed, should be 115, with the last +5 being from the talisman, 120 if you go with a bard talisman or a bard Mark of the Travesty - suggest a bard skill such as disco, peace or provo for the other - whichever of the two you plan to use most and isn't modified by non-jewelry equipment). Magery and Vet should be the lowest priority in real skill, though both should be in the 100-120 range with the addition of equipment. Music will include +10 from Song Woven Mantle, and possibly more from a talisman or Mark, and work out to a modified 120.

I've been running a 6x120 + 106 Magery Tamer/Disco/Provo (at the same time) character for almost a decade. The only current changes involve new jewelry that I looted prompting me to go from 120 natural vet / 100 natural Taming (+20 from equipment) to 115 natural Taming (+5 from talisman) / 105 natural Vet (+15 from jewelry). If I want to go Peace/disco, I can use soulstones to swap; Peace/Provo, the same, except that I have to swap one jewelry piece as well. Now, I just need to get the cloak from the Roof to replace my Melissa's Cloak that I'm wearing to max out my fire resist.

Toxon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lead-taming Greater Dragons with Peacemaking

Lead-taming greater dragons with peacemaking
104.7 minimum taming

I peace-tame greater dragons. 120 stealth peace/120 music with jewels.

I like to do this in the clearing south of the Daemon Temple on the Isle of Fire, but I've done it in Destard as well (preferably away from spawn).

I have an area-peace macro set (i.e. use peace skill on yourself).

Find a dragon and area-peace near it. Walk up to the dragon and when the music stops (i.e. your skill timer resets), start spamming your tame macro.

You'll get 5-10 attempts in (mostly failures). As soon as the dragon takes a step towards you, hit the area peace macro again to stop his aggression.

Regroup and retry.

Once you get a successful attempt, you'll lead-tame the dragon, walking forward while he angrily follows you. Stay a few steps in front of the dragon, but don't get too far away. Otherwise, your tame attempt will fail. In the time it takes to either succeed or fail at the tame attempt, you'll usually take 1 fire breath. (G-drags do 100% physical damage so make sure your armor suit is maxed out on physical resist). If you fail, immediately hit the area peace key. Heal up if necessary and start again.

If you succeed, voila!

It took me about a week of dying to get the timing of the macros down, but now that I have it, it's fairly easy and I rarely die. If you get into a situation where the dragon is pounding on you, just area peace and run away.

Area peace gives just enough time to get into position and hit macros. It's not a long peace like directly peacing a creature, but direct peace often fails on high level monsters like g-drags. Having a dragon slayer instrument helps.

I like this way because I don't need to worry about honor points or really anything... it's all skill based. And there's a little bit of adrenaline involved to keep it interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Since this is a guide for beginner tamer :
Ruddy Boura
several taming guides recommend Bake Kitsune as first hunting pet, but it is quite obsolete and you need way higher skill than for this nice furry Boura.
Lives in Ter Mur , North and East part .
smallest of its kind (have less HP than Lowland Boura) but pretty powerful. If you started as tamer , you probably have 50 taming skill and can work your lore to this level pretty fast. I recommend Ruddy Boura as your first hunting pet.
Ruddy one when not trained need 18 taming only. Or even 0 taming after being tamed by someone. Can be trained only one level but already has lots of health and pretty good resists. Tame one , feed with apple (or any other fruit/vegetable)and put in stables for one full real life week.
You also can tame more to use as a meat shield to train your Veterinary skill. Grab lots of bandages , ask it to attack something and heal it. If it dies -just go get one or 2 more.
After pet will bond in 1 week (feed it again with fruit to bond), go train it. If it dies you can resurrect it. Hopefully after 1 week skilling you have 60+taming. Not enough for most of fighting pets but enough for trained Ruddy. Best trained on Dread pirates , but with your bandage healing can survive Crazed Mage too. High seas too complicated or Shame dungeon is scary ? Train both your veterinary and pet on Ortanords (same place where you tamed beast boura) . One Ortanord can give 10-20% gains so you need to switch targets . Simply recall to the city and go find another one. They are everywhere in Ter Mur.

After advanced training will be finished , add 20HP regen, 30 Mana regen , increase physical resist to 80 , other skills are up to you. I choose poisoning and aura of nausea. Other resists choose wisely(better later). Don't need add HP : pet have enough to begin adventures. And you are good to go hunting. Later you will decide which resist you need . And will get knowledge how to train pets.
Below is mine with 61 taming requirement (before and after advancements. Can farm painted caves indefinitely. I added 110 wrestling PS to it, which is not necessary. It is for Battle defense skill only.
You overgrown this pet : give it to your Fisher or Miner : 30 skill point purchased and 2*15 Taming ring +bracelet will allow any weak character have powerful protector with minimum investment.

Boura_after training.jpg RuddY_before.jpg
For more experienced tamers : this is just a pet I was using as a meatshield to train weaker critters (esp. beetles) on pirates and Gregorio. And finally this Ruddy got levelled up so I tried it in action.

Last edited: