• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Guide: Managing Blacksmith Bods

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been crafting for 15+ years and I have a bod collection of over 30,000 bods on Great Lakes. I thought I'd take some time to share how I look at smith bods and how I manage them.

General Guidelines :

I view all bods as useful either as single turn ins to get another bod or collections. I generally find the most useful rewards are POF (especially since you can now store in containers of 255 charges from tinker reward) with runic hammers the main goal. Bronze hammers are useful for making 100% leech weapons for sampires and desired, DC hammers for 100% elemental weapons and then high end runics if you ever want to craft a weapon or armor with some random rolls. The mining maps are useful when you run low on various ingots but they aren't the main goal of my bod rewards. I store almost all my bods on vendors not for sale for storage and I try to keep the books under 300 bods each so I can put into my pack to take bods out but many times I lock down the book on my floor to work with them then put it back on the vendor.

Bod Types and Management

Weapon Bods
- These cannot be anything but iron so the single bod reward on any of them is not useful. I sort the smalls into separate books for each of the large groupings - Macing, Fencing, Swords, Polearm(2 part). I have bod books for Normal quality of each. Then I have EX books and I bribe and fill them once they are 10EX or better because the EX quantity is more points for both single turn in (5 part EX 10/15/20 = POF or 2 Part 20 EX = POF). So if I have a book of swords nm bods - I bribe them till they are EX and stop there. I don't want to go to 20 quantity if I can help it because the ingot use to fill a 20 is not worth the extra few turn in points. I'd prefer to complete 10 EX if I can. I manage my Large Weapon bods in a separate book. I will always bribe them to the EX level and then use to fill. When filled I either turn in for POF if I need that or bank the points. Honestly for POF the noncombinable bods are best because they are single turn in for POF whereas a Weapon Large can get you good banked points. If I find that I am getting overwhelmed with any type of weapons like say too many macing and not enough larges instead of bribing NM ones up to EX - I'll buy the items from the NPC and fill and turn in for new bods. Your choice here. The swords, macing, fencing are the better ones to complete as they take way less ingots than the axe larges. For the 2 part bods - ALWAYS bribe to 20 EX larges and smalls and fill. Its a POF for just 2 smalls and a large.

Non-Combinable - (Shields, Helmets (except plate helm), Female Plate Tunic) These bods do not go to any larges and are only good as single turn ins. These are mainly used for POF turn ins. They need to be either gold 20 normal and up or DC 20 EX and up. I keep these in separate books and bribe them until they reach a POF level or I give up bribing. Example if you have a 10 DC NM bod and start bribing - if it doesn't flip to EX in the first few bribes it may not be worth bribing all the way to 20 gold NM and up. So I might quit at copper or bronze depending on NPC bribing costs. The worst bods here are Heater Shields and Female Plate because of the ingot usage. Sometimes I don't both and just trash those bods early cause if its a 20 nm even if I get it to 20 ex DC - thats alot of ingots vs a 10 EX Metal Shield bod. At any rate - these are your main POF getters. If you want DC or shadow hammers I'd use these as well for that. The larges dont make sense for the low end hammers given the amount of ingots to complete them. Do a shadow 20 EX or Copper EX single non-combinable bod for the hammer. Way less ingots than a Ring/Chain/Plate large.

Ring Mail - These are a good generator of Bronze Hammers from the larges or they could be used for turn in points for whatever hammer you need. You could use the individual bods for POF but my theory here is I have other non-combine for POF but Rings can be used for good number of banked points. I sort these by individual piece and for each I have an EX book and a NM book. So Ring Tunic NM, Ring Tunic EX, Ring Legs NM, Ring Legs EX. The reason for this is I can easily find each piece by going to 4 individual books and then also find a similar bod if I need to bribe one up. (IE I don't have a Copper 10 EX so I grab a few Shadow 10 EX and bribe them hoping for Copper 10 EX). I sort the larges by quantity and NM/EX. So I have books for Ring Large 10 NM, Ring Large 10 EX, etc. Once sorted I have a spreadsheet I update from time to time. I go to each bod book and filter and get a count. There are 10 per page on smalls so its each to flip pages and count by 10 etc. I also track (color coding on Turn Ins chart) which bods give Copper, bronze and gold hammers. The rest I bank points or bribe up to a level that gives hammer color I like. This chart helps me see where I have all the smalls and the large to fill. This is my current collection of 2,000+ Ring bods on GL.

1609862192157.png

Chain Mail - I use a similar method to the Ring above however these are the best bods for turn in points. They provide more points than Ring mail even though they take significantly less ingots. So I don't very often fill these for hammer turn ins but rather bank these points to get higher end hammers. So again I have Coif NM, Coif EX, Legs NM, Legs EX etc and then for larges Either broken down by qty and quality or all combined (either Ring EX or Ring 10 EX, Ring 15 Ex ) depending on how big your collection is.

Here is the Chain Mail chart. Note that most of the larges are bronze hammer level but also lots of turn in banked points so great way to get high end hammers. Turn in a handful of these and bank the points.

1609864130409.png

Plate Mail - These bods are a total enigma. They give the higest turn in rewards (Val Hammer for Val EX) but they take by far the most bods and ingots. I generally don't complete these often. If I get high level bods I can bribe a few more levels to get to Val EX (like a gold or verite EX bod) then I might push up and get a val hammer. I will also fill low end iron ones since normal iron because you can buy the items from NPCS and avoid ingot usage and get PoF or 82-90 points for the turn in banking. You could also look to flip the smalls for POF if you choose. Example a DC 20 EX Large can get you a bronze hammer or 5 PoF. Depends which you need/value more. Either way thats 2000 ingots which I find pricey for a bronze hammer. I could do a Chain 20 EX DC Large for the same bronze hammer and only take 960 ingots and 4 bods vs 6 bods for the Plate. Yes, EA totally messed up in the point system for Chain Mail. They slotted the points inbetween ring and Plate but given less bods and less ingots - Chain is the best sets to do for everything.

1609863306560.png

Once completed I either turn in for the reward or store the bods in bod books to use when I need the items. Its easier to store 5 completed bods for 1 lockdown vs 5 hammers for example. So I generally have books filled with completed smith bods that I use when I need the reward. That way I don't bank the points and have to decide there which reward I need - I can always claim in the future.

Vendor Management
I store them on vendors because they don't use lockdowns and you can set the books not for sale. This was approved by the devs long ago. I set all my vendors to not show up in vendor search so it doesn't overload the system in items not for sale.

I have a vendor for each small of the collections because I need that much storage. You may find that you can put say Plate Helms and Gorgets on the same vendor. Remember a vendor can hold 125 storage which is a bod book plus 620 bods. Or 2 books plus 615 bods etc. My collection is big enough I need one vendor per small. Then I have 1 vendor per weapon set (Axes, Swords etc).

In front of the vendors I have 'sorting' books. So I collect my bods in my bod runners in a blacksmith book and then I sort that down to books for : Plate, Chain, Ring, Larges, Non-Combinable, Weapon NM, Weapon EX. From there I work those books into the bod vendors. I take the Plate book and then pull out arms and load to the books on the Plate Arms vendor etc. The books on the floor I let fill till I have 50 or so and then I push up to the vendors.

1609864794866.png

Hope this helps. When I get time I'll write up my Tailor methods as well. :)

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I do something similar, with the following differences:

Weapons: I only keep 20-count smalls (normal and exceptional) for large filling, and bribe the larges up to 20. I usually store filled LBODs for the Artisan Festival, and will fill some of the LBODs as normal if they didn't go exceptional from bribing, because it's cheaper to fill them buying items from NPCs (note that the few items that aren't on blacksmiths can be found on weaponsmiths). the 40-banked-points difference isn't as big an issue for Artisan festival stuff, compared to the additional ingot cost and time invested to craft 100-120 items to combine. The two-parters are the only ones I always bribe to 20 Ex.
Extra Weapon normal smalls get filled via purchases a few times a year, to get new BODs in exchange (a few of them going for 250-use tools to charge my house add-on, and for sturdy shovels/picks), with the fractions of points being banked for the rest as a side-effect.
Similarly, I keep some of the exceptional weapon smalls (usually 10s) to fill and turn in for Garg picks and Prospector Tools (and new BODs), as I have a combat miner and actually go mining deliberately with both in Ilshenar, looking for Paragon chests and Niter deposits. I'll usually will fill a chest with tools, then start collecting BODs again, not filling them again until I'm down to a dozen or so of the reward tools.

BOD Storage: I actually store at least one of each combinable type outside BOD vendors (using paragon chests of the color, backpacks for each armor type, 6 books with the book skins in each for the 6 quality/count permutations). If I get more than 10 smalls in a book, I'll end up putting them in a BOD book on a vendor, but for sale. Because of the number of different smith BODs, I usually have 20-50 BODs in that single book (and those usually sell out around Artisan festival time).

Tailor BOD storage works a little differently, and I'll wait until Theo gives his version before giving mine.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As someone that is gearing up to begin focusing heavily on bulk order deeds, thank you for starting this. The way you have set up your spreadsheets is very clean and easy to understand. I've already replicated them over the past hour. I think they'll be easier to use than my database. I'm also going to set up a similar weapon one, since I do sit on them for whatever reason.

If you have tailor BOD (or any other craft) organization tips, I'm all ears.

EDIT: Just for fun, I decided to add a macro to the spreadsheet pages that will add 1 to the number of BODS in a cell whenever I double click that cell. Fun stuff!

I'm also contemplating adding a function that will subtract the smalls of a large if I tell it I've finished that large. I just need to make sure I can't accidentally trigger it. I'll figure it out.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One thing about Tailor BODS is that there are 4 leather types (as opposed to 9 ingot types), 22 armor small types (all that fit a large), and 4 footwear small types (each of which can fit 3 different larges). While there are SIX very rare small Smith types that fit ONE Valorite hammer large, there are EIGHTEEN different tailor Barbed kit larges. Even without bribing, 106/798 possible tailor small BODs (counting material, count and quality, ignoring the leather type drop ratios) will fit a Barbed kit large (of which there are 18 out of 120 leather type larges and 54 cloth type larges)- that's better than 1 in 8 for the smalls, 1 in 10 for the larges - and insanely better than any other skill (where the top reward is 4-6 smalls out of 1-2 thousand possibles, fitting ONE large).

In the case of Smith BODs, there are 25 weapon types (for 150 different smalls, which are 50% of all small BODs, even at 120 Smith), 13 combinable armor parts (x3 for count, x2 for quality, x9 for metal type, for a total of 702 variations), and 11 non-combinables (4 helmets, 6 shields, female plate) (594 variations).
That's 1 LBOD, 6 smalls, out of 192 larges (162 armor, 30 weapon) & 1446 smalls (and only 2% of all armor smith BODs being valorite, compared to 10% of all tailor armor BODs being Barbed - and Barbed kits being possible from 2 SPINED larges).

These numbers end up factoring into why my Tailor Storage system is significantly different from how I store Blacksmith BODs (or the ones for the new skills)

Reactions: dvv

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Short version of my Tailor BOD storage system.

Cloth BODs: A Wooden Box with 10 books (one for each of the 9 Cloth LBODs, and 1 for footwear).
  • Only 20-count smalls are kept for the cloth (both normal and exceptional, as it only takes 1 bribe to get to exceptional if already 20 count).
  • All cloth larges are kept in the same books (which are 1 per suit type), and bribed to 20 (normal or exceptional). These are stockpiled for use in Artisan Festival drops and occasional CBD redemption.
  • Most footwear (all 4 leather types, all counts and qualities) are kept SOLELY for filling the cloth larges, as 1 Footwear large filled prevents FOUR cloth larges from being filled.
  • All 10 & 15 count cloth smalls are in an 11th book, kept elsewhere in its own container. These are filled for later bulk turn-ins for new BODs and a pittance of banked points. The majority of normal BODs are filled for turn-in by doing bulk purchases at multiple-tailor tailor shops, with the exceptional and the remaining non-purchasable normals (surcoat, bonnet, body sash, full apron, and occasionally shirts (that are only available randomly on 1/3 of all tailors) being crafted when cloth is cheap.
Regular Leather BODs: These have their own box, armor only (footwear go into the cloth box).
  • There's 2 subcontainers, plus two free-standing books. The two freestanding books, for 20EX Studded, and 20EX Bone. The sub-containers are for books of male and female set books (20N, 10Ex, 15Ex, 20Ex).
  • Each book will have up to 3 completed sets of all the smalls (since the larges are so rare).
  • The counts not listed are stored elsewhere - The Bone and Studded in a book for training my last BOD runner to 120 (currently at 115), while all the unlisted male/female leather types are filled from armorers and other sources to turn in for new BODs (or rarely, to be bribed up or given to other people working the Artisan Festival)
  • Excess BODs beyond the 3 sets of the listed types are put on a vendor for storage, but priced for sale (typically making enough to keep the vendors up - but often selling out around Artisan Festival time).
Spined/Horned/Barbed Leather BODs: Each has their own Box, armor only.
  • 4 subcontainers (by the 4 armor types), each with 6 books, with each book holding up to 3 full sets. Very rarely, there might be larges in them (if so, the "three sets" becomes "three sets plus one per large in the book")
  • Excess smalls for sale on vendor, with the vendors named by their large's reward level, and books in the vendor (color coded) by the leather type/count/quality.
  • Note that some of the bone and studded smalls for colored leather may be pre-filled during skill training for the BOD runners, then tossed into the storage books, while most other BODs aren't filled until I get the matching large.
I also have a box with already-claimed rewards, in case I have someone asking for a sale item, though most of the stuff below CBDs are leftovers from before the point system. And, I've got 20,000 cloth from that period of each of the level 1/2/3 cloth. several thousand of each level 4, several 100s of each level 5.

Reactions: dvv

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Theo_GL
Thank you so much for making this thread. Its given me a lot of perspective on BOD rewards and how to organize the BODs I have. I was very unorganized before and was going for rewards I probably didn't need to focus on.

I'd be curious how you go about all other BODs if you care to share.