• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Green Acres

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, this is not about the TV show, for those that were not around back in the early days of UO. Green Acres is literally the green sections on the OUAutomap or UOCartographer where the developers used as a testing area. These areas are inaccessible except by direct teleport. Somehow (I imagine a friendly GM gave someone access and they marked a rune) runes to this area were available. I used to have one, but in the decades that have passed, it got lost. They were not hard to get back in the day.

After all this time, I have often wondered if runes to Green Acres still exist & if they still work. Anyone have any current knowledge about this? If it is still possible, I would love to get a new rune.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ems are using it for boss fights now, at least on 2 servers.

I could not mark a rune to it.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can confirm Green Acres runes do still exist. Not many, and they're extremely hard to locate, but I've seen them and used them.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of the runes made to areas which u refer were made by transferring to shards that had no events going on/planned in the location then marked & brought back to someone’s home shard where marking was blocked. Not to say it hasn’t happened, as I’m sure it has somewhere at sometime, I’ve never received nor heard 1st hand of EMs giving runes to unmarkable areas.

I have several green acres runes in my collection. Whether or not they’re now blocked, I’ll have to check. Not home atm but will do in few hrs. What shard r u on? My 6 runic atlases of rare spots is on Atl with a copy on Asuka. If they’re not blocked & work, I’d gladly mark for u.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of the runes made to areas which u refer were made by transferring to shards that had no events going on/planned in the location then marked & brought back to someone’s home shard where marking was blocked. Not to say it hasn’t happened, as I’m sure it has somewhere at sometime, I’ve never received nor heard 1st hand of EMs giving runes to unmarkable areas.

I have several green acres runes in my collection. Whether or not they’re now blocked, I’ll have to check. Not home atm but will do in few hrs. What shard r u on? My 6 runic atlases of rare spots is on Atl with a copy on Asuka. If they’re not blocked & work, I’d gladly mark for u.
Great Lakes. Sadly almost all the current rune libraries on GL are just partial copies of the great ones that fell a long time ago. There are 1 or 2 large ones , but I have not seen any GA runes in them. Kingdome Reborn (curse its name) ruined many of the old runes to unique places or some developer put up barriers (like the cave outside Despise) so they could not be accessed anymore.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't suggest people trying old GA runes to "see if they work." The old penalty for being caught there was a permaban, I doubt that's changed.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't suggest people trying old GA runes to "see if they work." The old penalty for being caught there was a permaban, I doubt that's changed.
Second year of UO, I was not banned. I died in GA & called a GM to port me out. I made up some lame excuse in the help request about being tricked into recalling off the rune & it was not what they said it was. The GM said nothing to me. I just got ported out.

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
Second year of UO, I was not banned. I died in GA & called a GM to port me out. I made up some lame excuse in the help request about being tricked into recalling off the rune & it was not what they said it was. The GM said nothing to me. I just got ported out.
What killed you in GA? I was there once around that same time. Just kept running and running and I never saw anything.
Though I heard after a while the GM's made some crazy monster that could outrun mounted players and killed you in 1 hit.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
h
Oooooh..What a major bannable crime!o_O
Since it used to be a testing area, an area for seer stuff* and who knows what else. At the time, yeah, it was.

*the EMs use it now, so who knows what nasty things they store there.

It wasn't until the Seer era that they started banning people for being there. There were several thefts of seer items from GA on the elder shards.

That anyone would want to chance getting caught there now is just :facepalm:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since it used to be a testing area, an area for seer stuff* and who knows what else. At the time, yeah, it was.

*the EMs use it now, so who knows what nasty things they store there.

It wasn't until the Seer era that they started banning people for being there. There were several thefts of seer items from GA on the elder shards.

That anyone would want to chance getting caught there now is just :facepalm:
People love to live on the edge and do things like drink milk past it's "best by" date, take the tags off of mattresses and recall to Green Acres. it let's you know you're alive

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What killed you in GA? I was there once around that same time. Just kept running and running and I never saw anything.
Though I heard after a while the GM's made some crazy monster that could outrun mounted players and killed you in 1 hit.
I think it was some invisible monster. It was known they were around there.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
If you have a green acres rune, don't use it! You could get into a lot of trouble: stranded in an unstable area, banned, or worse. Any Vet worth their veteran rewards knows that we've been told this before by game staff and Devs.