• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

"Good Guys" are they a dying breed of RPvPr?

G

Ginsu-SP

I remember a time when most players played "good guys"....

These days it seems like there are very few. It makes it very hard to RP....
unless, of course, you're someone who thinks it's fun to try to RP with your
enemy. Personally, I have always RPd with my allies... and just tried to kill my
enemies.

Not to cast stones at any particular group... but the opportunities to RP a "good
guy" with other "good guys" is VERY limited on Siege. And, if you don't share
their idea of what good RP and fair fighting is... you are pretty much out in the
cold.

Why is it that so many people want to play evil roles? There is just as much
fighting, if not more to be had as a "good guy".

Cheers!
Aeric

A

Apollyon

I think that part of the problem lies in the definition of "good guys". If you ask many of the leaders of the guilds that you consider "bad", they'll tell you that they ARE the good guys. Their perception of themselves and others differs from yours.

It's also true that many guilds are fairly diverse. Within their ranks they'll have farmers and serial killers....thieves and knights....the noble and the profane. That further clouds the overall perception of a guild and it's members. It all depends on which side of the fence that you're standing on....

G

Ginsu-SP

My definition of a "good guy" is a player that doesn't attack unprovoked....
except during a declared war, or against a declared enemy.

In my book PKs are "red" "bad guys".... and Notos are "blue" "bad guys".

Cheers!

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You think that's tough?

Try being a good guy that's been doing evil things for so long he's become evil and wants to do good things to be in a better position to launch his evil plans. I can never decide if I want to feed the homeless or just kill them as they won't be missed. Usually I compromise and give them poisoned soup.
<blockquote><hr>

I remember a time when most players played "good guys"....

These days it seems like there are very few.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm partially responsible for that. See, I glamorized the murdering life style with my roguish charm and hordes of (usually...) female admirers. Before me, nobody realized that you could be both a sexy slab of man-meat and a red at the same time.

An alternate theory is that after me most women have vastly increased expectations as to what makes a guy "good", and slowly but surely I'm causing a society-wide re-definition of the word.

G

Ginsu-SP

Har!

I just blame AOS.... and waning population.

They made "Shining Armor" obsolete, and put us all in leather.

I think pre-AOS there was much more of a "Knight in Shining Armor" attitude
in the game.

With the population dropping... the "evil" players seem to have a much higher
retention rate on Siege. Is that because it's the only shard you can still be "evil" on?

Cheers!

S

Sloan

<blockquote><hr>

It's also true that many guilds are fairly diverse. Within their ranks they'll have farmers and serial killers....thieves and knights....the noble and the profane.

[/ QUOTE ]A serial killer would be an interesting roleplaying idea... never thought about that.

I

imported_Castor

No, it is because there are no "good" guilds who are very active in the field. If there was an active justice guild, they would be fighting in a target rich enviroment with all the "evil" around the shard.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say it's the only shard with any checks whatsoever against being evil.

Are you more likely to be considerate to someone when they're able to punch you in the face, or when the largest threat from them is that they'll tell on you?

G

Morning Ginsu,

You got me going with that post, I had to reply

I'd like to clarify the categories, as I see them, by what you refer to 'good' and 'evil'. I see four categories.

Good - roleplayers who roleplay the good guys (KSS)
Evil - roleplayers who roleplay the bad guys (Orc.)
PKs - (blue or red) non-roleplayers who generally play aggressively or antagonistically (OTF)
Blues - non-roleplayers who generally play a passive or pacifistic game (DTA)

To support my own roleplay, I simply convert the PKs into 'evil' afflicted with madness (The Tongue of Discord) since they speak in gibberish (OOC and swearing), and convert the non-aggressive 'Blues' to neutral 'citizens' - so long as they don't commit crimes, they retain a neutral status.

Why should a non-roleplaying aggressive type want to play a 'good guy'? If the desire for good does not come from within the personality of the player, then playing 'good' would only seem like a restriction on their actions, a set of 'rules'. If the desire to do good comes from the personality of the player, then it is a natural thing, and it is equally natural to despise acts of 'evil' on those who are 'good' or 'neutral'.

Roleplaying is a way of playing to benefit others. You have to first have the desire to benefit others.

So, in OOC terms, I classify 'good' as altruistic behaviour, and 'evil' as negative, aggressive, selfish behaviour. Not at all the same thing as rp good and evil. Ingame, I might not attack someone whose OOC actions I find repulsive, though I might certainly want them to commit a crime so I can attack them ingame, my character's roleplay will not allow it. Similarly, I have had many many friends roleplaying evil ingame, but my character would not stay his hand just to spare them.

H

HalfDead

The real reason is that people adapt to their environment, so there is so much evil on Siege that the few good guys we have ultimately turn bad due to their surroundings.

G

So you are saying its the "If you cant beat them, join them" theory?

G

<blockquote><hr>

No, it is because there are no "good" guilds who are very active in the field. If there was an active justice guild, they would be fighting in a target rich enviroment with all the "evil" around the shard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to get that going again.

G

Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where’s the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?

Isn’t there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need

I need a hero
I'm holding out for at hero 'till the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight

I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero 'till the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
Larger than life

Somewhere after midnight
In my wildest fantasy
Somewhere just beyond my reach
There’s someone reaching back for me

Racing on the thunder and rising with the heat
It’s gonna take a superman to sweep me off my feet

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast

I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero 'till the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life

I need a hero
I'm holding out for at hero 'till the the end of the night

Up where the mountains meet the heavens above
Out where the lightning splits the sea
I could swear there is someone somewhere
Watching me

Through the wind and the chill and the rain
And the storm and the flood
I can feel his approach
Like a fire in my blood

I need a hero
He’s gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'till the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life

I need a hero
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'till the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And he's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life

I need a hero

G

just a small town girl.....
livin' in a lonely world.
she took a midnight train going anywhere

G

It is more a personal thing than a guild thing. I have played a red since I started this shard (or at least after I finally had skills over 90) but I think I am a "good guy." I do not attack unprovoked. I do not dry loot. I do not trash talk on the field. I do not kill crafters. I do not rez kill (other than field situations). I rez people who need help. Etc.

But I know many in my guild play their reds differently.

It is harder to find good people, but good people still exist. Every act of kindness has a chance of spreading further acts, so I keep trying.

G

Ginsu-SP

<blockquote><hr>

Morning Ginsu,

You got me going with that post, I had to reply

I'd like to clarify the categories, as I see them, by what you refer to 'good' and 'evil'. I see four categories.

Good - roleplayers who roleplay the good guys (KSS)
Evil - roleplayers who roleplay the bad guys (Orc.)
PKs - (blue or red) non-roleplayers who generally play aggressively or antagonistically (OTF)
Blues - non-roleplayers who generally play a passive or pacifistic game (DTA)

To support my own roleplay, I simply convert the PKs into 'evil' afflicted with madness (The Tongue of Discord) since they speak in gibberish (OOC and swearing), and convert the non-aggressive 'Blues' to neutral 'citizens' - so long as they don't commit crimes, they retain a neutral status.

Why should a non-roleplaying aggressive type want to play a 'good guy'? If the desire for good does not come from within the personality of the player, then playing 'good' would only seem like a restriction on their actions, a set of 'rules'. If the desire to do good comes from the personality of the player, then it is a natural thing, and it is equally natural to despise acts of 'evil' on those who are 'good' or 'neutral'.

Roleplaying is a way of playing to benefit others. You have to first have the desire to benefit others.

So, in OOC terms, I classify 'good' as altruistic behaviour, and 'evil' as negative, aggressive, selfish behaviour. Not at all the same thing as rp good and evil. Ingame, I might not attack someone whose OOC actions I find repulsive, though I might certainly want them to commit a crime so I can attack them ingame, my character's roleplay will not allow it. Similarly, I have had many many friends roleplaying evil ingame, but my character would not stay his hand just to spare them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can divide the players up anyway you want to. In battle it still comes down
to "who do I attack and why" and that leaves you with two general categories;
those you attack, and those you don't attack.

My problem is the lack of "good" FIGHTERS to interact with. I don't care how
the "evil" guilds RP... personally I consider chatting with the enemy, letting an enemy
res you, and having pleasant banter after the fight to all be VERY crappy RP.
The people I want to RP with would be "good" FIGHTERS that want to war against
"evil". The alliances that lead up to war, the stories of those people and binding
the stories together is what I like. My enemies are targets on the field... be they
RPrs, PKs, Notos.... they are all the same. There's just not enough "good guys" that
want to fight to have any kind of ongoing RP that makes sense.

If you want to call arranged fights, and the occasional "milady" RP... that's one thing.
It just doesn't get it for me. When there was a large pool of players to associate
with... you could build almost anything. I just find the kind of RP that is practiced
now to be pretty boring and insubstantial.

Cheers!

I

imported_Rhaen

As a person who just came back to UO I am still looking into the Siege community. I ran into the Undead several times and they had a fantastic roleplay (mostly from the dark sites), however I loved them but it's in the past, too.

I really enjoyed the occasional fights. Let's hope I will find some more players with that style :))

A

Apollyon

There are plenty of people that won't attack unprovoked. Declared enemies change like the weather. Many reds got that way from helping their guildmates. Know what I mean?

G

Ginsu-SP

<blockquote><hr>

There are plenty of people that won't attack unprovoked. Declared enemies change like the weather. Many reds got that way from helping their guildmates. Know what I mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... I know what you mean.

There may be a lot of people that won't attack unprovoked... but subtract the
non-pvprs, and then the non-rprs and you are left with a pretty small group.

I am not talking about red/blue at all.

I will edit the title of this post so that it is more clear what I am talking about.

Cheers!

D

DorianGray

there are good guys; kss, cws, ect, of course i MAY be seen as evil since i pray to the great mondain, and lord blackthorn was my hero

G

Ginsu-SP

<blockquote><hr>

there are good guys; kss, cws, ect, of course i MAY be seen as evil since i pray to the great mondain, and lord blackthorn was my hero

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes... I'm vaguely familar with those groups.

Cheers!

G

Outside of the White Council... what groups are strictly made up of 'good guys'?

A

Apollyon

How about the last round of guild wars that many groups participated in? Would that be considered good/evil RP?

M

marichessy

rtlfc.....

I don't think there are really many "good guys" or "evil guys" left at all. I think that there is barely a hint of rp left on the shard at all.

Guilds these days are a hodge podge of all different personalities. There really aren't many 'crafter guilds' or 'evil guilds' or 'justice guilds' left that have members who stick to a specific personality type/character type anymore.

I think there used to be more guilds who recruited based on what kind of character you played and what type of rp you were into. These days it's more just groups of friends doing what they enjoy....and more often than not there is no rp involved what-so-ever.

It's sad, but I think rp on Siege, the last remaining real rp server, has gone the way of the crows. There is barely a thread of rp left and hence good/evil in it's true old school sense is lost.

Siege is becoming more and more like a production shard felucca. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, and I love the community. I think we are still miles above production shards in the community sense. But the rp aspect was a big part of what made Siege stand apart and it is no longer there.

So that's my two cents....good guys and bad guys are lost with rp falling to the wayside.

A

Akane Wakayama

If anybody buys itno shabba being a "good guy" I have a bridge I'd like to sell you in New York City.

G

Ginsu-SP

<blockquote><hr>

How about the last round of guild wars that many groups participated in? Would that be considered good/evil RP?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are referring to the WAKA war... that was the event that sparked these
thoughts in me. We participated in that, and had about as much fun as 3 sub-par
pvprs could have against WAKA.

IMO the "good guys" REALLY dropped the ball on that one. There were great stories
written to go along with the war.... almost nothing contributed from the "good"
side. Surprising, considering these guilds consider themselves RPrs and have
some of the better writers on the shard. And the hesitance to war... I will never
understand. Just like making 100 rules of engagement... I don't get it. It takes
all the excitement out of the fight. If I KNOW I'm not getting looted after a fight
I'm not nearly as intent on not losing. Making looting rules simply takes the honor
out of a fight. Voluntarily not dry-looting to keep things semi-friendly... I consider
honorable. Obeying a "no-loot" rule is simply "obeying a rule"... there is nothing
particularly honorable about that. It definitely gives everybody something to
complain about however. The more rules of engagement you have, the shorter the
war will be... and the more hard feelings there will be.

Think about it...

When somebody doesn't loot you when they could have, you think; "Hey! That
was cool of them!"

When somebody doesn't loot you when there is a "no-loot" rule... you think
nothing of it.

HOWEVER! When somebody loots you when there is a "no-loot" rule... it's a
federal case, a reason to not war with that guild again, and a reason to trash
talk the guild with the hideous looter.

For the record, when MYTH "warred" WAKA... we had no rules of engagement
and WAKA conducted themselves with the utmost honor in regards to MYTH.

My problem with this whole deal is just the lack of more "good" RPvPrs on the
shard. I do not begrudge anyone their style of play. I just wish there were more
players who were not hesitant to war, and actually enjoyed warring enough
to do so without writing a manifesto for their enemy to agree to beforehand.

Cheers!

I

imported_Castor

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to get that going again.

[/ QUOTE ]

believe me, there is nobody on this shard who hopes that happens more than me....

G

I can't tell you how many times we have debated this issue on our private boards.

P

Phish Phan

I just can't deal with all the "red tape" that these RP wars entail. It reminds me of the British soldiers just standing in formation while the rebels are in tactical positions, picking off the "honorable" fighters just because they're so hard-on for chivalry and won't do anything but stand there being "honorable".

I'd rather just throw everyone together in a big open area (NOT LUNA) and have fun no matter who gets looted or whatever the outcome.

Call me a griefer if you want, but I guarantee we have more fun than anyone, just playing the way we want and answering to noone.

I

imported_Castor

Unfortunately, the problem with the RP around here is that it has become an "elitist" activity where if you do not fit in a defined role about what you expect, it is not true RP and shunned.

Ginsu hits the nail on the head with the waka event, which was a fantastic opportunity to give pvp an RP reason to happen, plus a good opportunity to fragment the shard into other factions besides "good" &amp; "evil". However like he said, too much time was wasted on debate and setting up ground rules etc, and the moment passed. I thought it was especailly well done and provided a great backstory for which anybody/everybody, from the fighters to the crafters could participate in some way.

Yet some stood by and did not, or stuck their heads in the sand and labeled individuals as griefers if they did not conform to their narrow minded view of RP in general.

RP is what you create, and it does not have to be strictly good or strictly evil, it is more interesting when you have ambigous guilds, such as the waka event, where they were on their own side, and were viewed as good by some, evil by others. If it always was straight RP, it would be boring and predictable.

And finally for true rp to happen and have meeting, it has to be more than stories on the boards and has to happen ingame. If i am RPing a major war or grudge, dont carry it out on the boards, carry it out in game.

I remember when my interest was just starting here on siege and i was lurking on the boards, i remember Corwin's mocking posts when he sieged iantown, and although not true RP, it was a good enough story to justify the RP.

I remember when KSS got into something with K*S (Sun's guild i think) and there was a mini war going on between them. Fights would happen at night, and recap during the day. It was interesting and fun. That does not happen anymore here.

And finally, i have found that some RPers here cannot separate the RL from the RP life. You cannot Rp 100% of the time and need some "off" time. And sometimes you find that your arch RP enemy is a pretty good guy/girl that you like to talk to or enjoy doing stuff with. That is not a crime and should not be looked down upon. This game is for entertainment and enjoyment and just because a certain guild are enemies, does not mean they are bad people. Some folks cant get that through their heads..

G

Ginsu-SP

<blockquote><hr>

I just can't deal with all the "red tape" that these RP wars entail. It reminds me of the British soldiers just standing in formation while the rebels are in tactical positions, picking off the "honorable" fighters just because they're so hard-on for chivalry and won't do anything but stand there being "honorable".

I'd rather just throw everyone together in a big open area (NOT LUNA) and have fun no matter who gets looted or whatever the outcome.

Call me a griefer if you want, but I guarantee we have more fun than anyone, just playing the way we want and answering to noone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like a lot of "red tape" when it comes right down to the combat either.
Frankly I am not a good enough fighter to do anything but try to survive during
combat. My RP happens at other times and in other places, and not with my
enemies. I don't require my enemies to even be RPrs.... combat is combat, and
I can make up my own stories for enemies. Allies are a different story... those
are the ones I look to for RP "content", and a cooperative effort to win fights.

This is not the prevailing attitude of most RPrs however.

Cheers!

G

I've never given a rats ass about roe. I loot only regs and jewelry. bandaids to slow down a warriors return to battle. I assume everything i carry is forfeit to the victor when I fall.

Siege has been reduced to pk's and everybody else anymore. RP is all but gone. It left when the good players got fed up with EA's lack of attention at the one shard that retains disillusioned players from outright leaving. Siege is that "last stop" on the way out. If we would get the attention we need to balance our shard that last stop could have a much longer layover. Instead, we have damage balanced at all 70s with max hci dci mci at&amp;t etc etc. So concequently these cannons that spawn instead of bows can mow down 85% of the population who doesn't run the risk of 400k worth of pvp equipment every time the go out.

and to me, rp is simply consistancy. That's it. No if then else. just yes no. refrain from speaking about game mechanics. and definatly no pwning.

I also have zero problem with hanging out with your "enemy" on an informal basis, during the wee hours of the morning, the only requirement i've ever had about that was turn off the guild title. It's also why most of my characters are in the thieves guild. One stop at the bank grabs me 2 hours of incognito.

G

<blockquote><hr>

rtlfc.....

I don't think there are really many "good guys" or "evil guys" left at all. I think that there is barely a hint of rp left on the shard at all.

Guilds these days are a hodge podge of all different personalities. There really aren't many 'crafter guilds' or 'evil guilds' or 'justice guilds' left that have members who stick to a specific personality type/character type anymore.

I think there used to be more guilds who recruited based on what kind of character you played and what type of rp you were into. These days it's more just groups of friends doing what they enjoy....and more often than not there is no rp involved what-so-ever.

It's sad, but I think rp on Siege, the last remaining real rp server, has gone the way of the crows. There is barely a thread of rp left and hence good/evil in it's true old school sense is lost.

Siege is becoming more and more like a production shard felucca. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, and I love the community. I think we are still miles above production shards in the community sense. But the rp aspect was a big part of what made Siege stand apart and it is no longer there.

So that's my two cents....good guys and bad guys are lost with rp falling to the wayside.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dearest sister, you took the thoughts right out of my mind and stated them here perfectly better than I could have.

I agree with you 200%.

Especially this: Guilds these days are a hodge podge of all different personalities. There really aren't many 'crafter guilds' or 'evil guilds' or 'justice guilds' left that have members who stick to a specific personality type/character type anymore.

I think there used to be more guilds who recruited based on what kind of character you played and what type of rp you were into.

G

Ginsu-SP

UO on Siege is basically "content free". It is up to the players to make their own
"content".... and we just aren't doing it.

Consistancy is lovely.... as long as it's interesting.

Cheers!

A

Apollyon

Amen, Brother.

Pigeonholing happens way more here than I ever would have guessed. You see it every day on these very boards. That's what I was trying to express in my earlier posts. The definition of "good and evil" is not so clearcut and many guilds have elements of both. I don't see anything wrong with that...

Y

Yasou Wakayama

The way that whole RP war ended ... and I am sure some people here are not privvy to some of the complaining that went on ... I think I am permenantly soured to ever trying any RP ever again.

Aeric (and the COF alliance) and Castor ... as well as Shad (and TnT) really got what we were going for and really had fun with it and with us in game and in the RP threads that accompanied the whole storyline here ... seems any other involved parties were disgruntled and bitter.

WAKA is not a roleplay guild - we never were and never will be. Our roleplay pretty much only happened here on the forums and for the most part was from my creation. As a guild I guess we are more to the philosphy of OTF where we are out to have fun for ourselves ... though most of WAKA have more of a conscience collectively then OTF does and most of us are genuinely nice people. (That IS meant as a dig at OTF - not big on their taking to always cutting up armor).

We are not a good guy guild or a bad guy guild ... we play to have fun ... as it stands now I doubt we would ever attempt to do another RP or shard event.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Amen, Brother.

Pigeonholing happens way more here than I ever would have guessed. You see it every day on these very boards. That's what I was trying to express in my earlier posts. The definition of "good and evil" is not so clearcut and many guilds have elements of both. I don't see anything wrong with that...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see anything wrong with it either, in fact, its fueled an entire history of conflict and forced people to rp whether they liked it or not! Consider the flakes and notos that have been in guilds like DTA, which is full of great people, but at the same time, from our rp stance "aids and abets known criminals and murderers". Quite a few times, we had to put them against the wall and decide friend or foe, and what we received were formal apologies - though a war would have been more fun, I could not accept an apology AND go to war. I'm not geared towards making players who like to farm monsters turn and fight us, what I like is that opportunity for conflict, at the same time as satisfying my RL addiction to exposing hypocrisy and making people think about their actions and how it affects others. Thats me.

The Waka thing, I WISH I had had more time to be involved, there were so many posts I wanted to reply to, so many nights I wished I could have logged on, rallied some people and went to war - but I was just too busy IRL to play as I used to. I had barely enough time to skim through a few posts, before I had to get back to work/baby.

My new goals for KSS leadership is this:

Ingame:
Finish training my character from mage to warrior...
Go on patrol. Every night.
Keep track of who does what to whom in the KSS justice scrolls.

On boards:

Declare or exhonerate criminals based on ingame actions.
Honor enemies who fight well and who act with class.
Flame hypocrites and other morons on the boards in rp context, of course.

Thats it. Simple KSS formula of enforcing accountability as best we can, and upholding the Knight's creed. Thats what we did in the beginning, and somewhere inbetween we lost our way, I cannot deny it, especially not to you, Castor, and I am seeking to restore it. Perhaps too little too late, but the past does not belong to me anymore, I have only the present.

G

I was part of the COF Alliance and had a good time, what little time I was able to participate in the war. I think Waka did a fine job.

It's unfortunate that a few elite RP guilds turned the event sour. And I am sorry that to hear that Yasou is discouraged from doing more of these events.

Let me just say Yasou, that in the past year plus I have seen the decline of Siege Perilous... the war event was wonderful, it made me feel like "old Siege" was back and I thank you for that.

Y

Yasou Wakayama

<blockquote><hr>

Outside of the White Council... what groups are strictly made up of 'good guys'?

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ ... the WC are clearly bad guys.

G

Ginsu-SP

<blockquote><hr>

Amen, Brother.

[/ QUOTE ]
When you go to war with a guild though... you can't say "I only want to fight
your evil members". You also can't ally with a guild and say "I only want to defend
your good members".

And so... I know that it is very hard to find any consistancy to RP around. In order
for quality RPvP to happen... the guilds involved all have to be pretty selective
in their recruiting. That's a tall order these days... to find quality new players
with the mindset it takes for both RP and PvP. And lowering your recruiting
requirements simply means less fun for everyone as well.

Cheers!

M

Mandolin

<blockquote><hr>

Unfortunately, the problem with the RP around here is that it has become an "elitist" activity where if you do not fit in a defined role about what you expect, it is not true RP and shunned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.... well said, Castor.

Y

Yasou Wakayama

<blockquote><hr>

UO on Siege is basically "content free". It is up to the players to make their own
"content".... and we just aren't doing it.

Consistancy is lovely.... but it's not very interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the reason I decided to try my hand at RP and get my guild involved in some "new" fun ... day after day of pvm and sporadic pvp was getting boring ... I guess I was feeling nostalgic for the days of server wars and the mayhem of chaos/order and was hoping for some nice big prolonged battles again (and we did get plenty and had fun with that) ... It was also nice (I think for most of our opponents as well) to know that once the dust cleared and a winner was defined that we would get rezzed up and go another round ... the most fun I have had in game (pvp wise) in the past year was one night fighting TnT shortmanned ...

G

Ginsu-SP

Yasou,

I just want to say that the couple of weeks that we warred, and wrote stories
were the most fun I ever had on Siege... and it looked like new life would be
breathed into the shard as far as RP goes. Even though we were seriously under-manned
it was great fun.

It was also one of my biggest let-downs on Siege when I saw how my counterparts
reacted to the opportunity that you guys provided the shard.

For a non-RPr... you do damn good!
And I hope that you will try again
sometime.

Cheers!

G

Replying to last I read since I'm on my way out the door to work. I know KSS has a stringent recruitment policy and there are some other guilds too. CWS, we don't look at templates we look at personality, we don't need the punk teenage kids that have pwn everybody with there 1337 pvp skills, more along those that have similar ideals about UO that can thrive in a community based guild.

G

I have to agree, and its a damned shame that it was a lost opportunity. Yasou did a fantastic job, and unfortunately we weren't able to effectively reciprocate.

R

Rykus

<blockquote><hr>

and to me, rp is simply consistancy. That's it. No if then else. just yes no. refrain from speaking about game mechanics. and definatly no pwning.

I also have zero problem with hanging out with your "enemy" on an informal basis, during the wee hours of the morning, the only requirement i've ever had about that was turn off the guild title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%. Also with what Fabienne and Marichessy said.

To each his own about some of the finer points (RoE, associating outside of guild, etc..), but consistency is key for my personal style of RP. Those of you who knew me on both Rykus and my alts knew this. I RP'd 100% of the time on Rykus, except the night of Folger's wake and when in private guild training situations.

One of the many reasons I left Siege is because of the lack of RP. People who claim to RP but go around smack-talking are NOT role-players IMO. Call me an elitist if you like, I really don't care, but if you are going to call yourself a role-player, BE ONE consistently. Speaking of in-game mechanics and pwnage instantly disqualifies you (or rather that character) from that definition. I have/had 5 accounts on Siege, and 2 of them were my RP chars, the rest I played casually/socially. If I felt like dabbling in RP on one of them due to the situation then so be it, but I never once tried to portray those chars as being an RP char.

People who say they role-play evil, but are really just griefer PKs (a valid playstyle that I am fine with), are NOT role-players and are not fooling anyone by saying they are, any more than Cheapsuit is fooling anyone into believeing he is an uber pvp'er by killing crafters.

Hopefully one day the management at EA will pull their head far enough out of their rectums to discover oxygen and will make UO, especially Siege, a place I would enjoy being again. Until then, I do miss many of you fine people, and chuckle a bit at some of the rest.

Take care all, it is encouraging to see this kind of thread, if nothing else.

G

Ginsu-SP

I have a lot of respect for Rykus, Py, Sio, and Grot.

However, IMHO, a lot of what you guys call RP is just good manners.

I have a feeling that there were people who gloated, and made asses of
themselves as far back in history as you'd like to go.

Roleplaying (to me)= playing a role.

Take the WAKA war for instance....

It was much more important to combat the tyrants at all costs than it was to
lay down a lot of rules. It's WHAT you do at that point that is crucial, not HOW
you do it. ACTION! Play your role!

Some people seem to think a script is needed... but with so many different people
providing input... it was just time to group up with all the opposition, and have
some fun. But no.... it had to be some kind of big serious deal. And WAKA had
to be badmouthed... even though they were providing one of the best opportunities
for RPrs on Siege to interact that I have ever seen; a powerful enemy who's
willing to fight on RPr's terms. But some people felt it was neccessary to swing
back into the classic RPr's most powerful defense... name calling and whining.

You can be consistantly boring and exclusive, or consistantly creative and accepting.
The latter sounds MUCH more fun to me. The former sounds like nothing I want
to log in to.

Cheers!