• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gold Sink that addresses Scripters and BoD's

• Thread starter imported_Coldren
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Coldren

Another thread suggested setting up vendors to sell Vinecord sandals for exorbitant prices. This got me to thinking:

Why not simply place a vendor in towns that sells PoFs, Runic Tools, and other BoD rewards, or limited versions thereof?

I see lots of advantages to this:

How much money is kept in circulation among players because of these items? If an NPC were to take the money, it would take it out of the economy, helping combat inflation. (If you believe it's a problem, which is another debate entirely that I wish to avoid here, for now.) Or, much like museum rewards, turn in resources for these items... Preferably rare ones.

It could help combat scripters as well, provided you can find that sweet spot for price. It'd have to be low enough that the scripters wouldn't bother with the effort needed to compete with it, but high enough to be an effective sink.

It would address the BoD's random elements by allowing players who don't wish to play the "Pokemon of UO" game to get these rewards. Even if, for example, the charges on everything was half of what a legitimate BoD reward produced, I'd still be willing to buy some of these rewards rather than spend the time needed to find the small BoDs and beat the RNG. And those who like the system intrinsically, well, they continue to go about their merry way.

Just a random thought.

G

No way!
Some of us really enjoy doing bods and selling the rewards we get. Not everyone is a scripter.
Don't compare something you can presently achieve in the game with something that shouldn't even exist in the game. IE: bod rewards vs vine cords.

What you are suggesting is basically taking away the whole point of doing bods in the first place.
Next we will be selling monster loot on NPC vendors for those who can't be bothered to go out and hunt.

G

Ever since AOS, the only way that I hear smiths saying that they make money is by selling the rewards from BoDs. This idea would cut too far into their profit margin. The only way I could see this happaning is if the NPC bought items were 1/5 as effective at 1/2 the price of what they could be bought from a PC. The market value is too volital, I don't see a good way of automating the sale price of the rewards if they were placed on NPCs.

Unless there is a market for crafted armor/weapons, I don't think this is good idea. I have a couple smiths, but I don't make money with them(BoDs).

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Some of us really enjoy doing bods and selling the rewards we get.

[/ QUOTE ]
And what, pray tell, would stop you from continuing to do so?

<blockquote><hr>

Not everyone is a scripter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please point out where I indicated any such sentiment. I implied it could help combat SCRIPTERS, not honest BoD runners, who get out priced by the scripters anyway, usually due to sheer volume.

<blockquote><hr>

What you are suggesting is basically taking away the whole point of doing bods in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
So the only point is the reward, but your claiming you like doing the BoD game? Which is it? Do you enjoy the process, or the result? In either case, neither of these things would be affected by this. You can still collect, you can still sell. This is an alternative suggestion for those of us who DON'T like playing the BoD game, but still want to be able to craft something of value.

You can make it entirely based on resources rather than accept gold, if that somehow sets better. I want to constantly work towards a goal, not relentlessly hammer away trying to beat an RNG.

And quite frankly, even if they sold these items at prices higher than what players or scripters would sell them for, I'd still buy straight from the vendor, simply as a personal gesture of conviction in my own belief that the economy is inflated - But that's just me.

<blockquote><hr>

Next we will be selling monster loot on NPC vendors for those who can't be bothered to go out and hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Museum/Library rewards sort of do that now, don't they? Not exactly the same or as good, but certainly competitve enough that the system works.

And you don't think that currently there are people who BUY most of their gear from vendors now, rather than farm Doom for months on end? This is only one step removed - Rather than having players sell it, and keeping the money in the system, the NPC's sell it, and take the money out of the system.

And aside from guaranteed items like PoF's, it's still RANDOM in the end of what that item will produce. Runic tools still will give random results like current ones, and more importantly, if these items have less charges, they're still inferior to what can be earned through the BoD system.

Choice is a wonderful thing, if you ask me.

I

imported_onthefifty

agree with flutter here. what ur suggesting is the same as the bos nerf. something done to combat scripters but winds up hurting the honest player.

you want to combat scripters keep pushing ea to go after them. if u see someone who you feel is for certain using a script, page on them. if in feluccia
kill them, if in trammel bag ball them

it you want to kill the dog, shoot him in the head. don't cut off his tail.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Some of us really enjoy doing bods and selling the rewards we get.

[/ QUOTE ]
And what, pray tell, would stop you from continuing to do so?

[/ QUOTE ] Your suggestion.

<blockquote><hr>

Not everyone is a scripter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please point out where I indicated any such sentiment. I implied it could help combat SCRIPTERS, not honest BoD runners, who get out priced by the scripters anyway, usually due to sheer volume.

[/ QUOTE ] Your suggestion punishes everyone, even those who don't cheat, everyone doesn't cheat.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
So the only point is the reward, but your claiming you like doing the BoD game? Which is it? Do you enjoy the process, or the result? In either case, neither of these things would be affected by this.

[/ QUOTE ] Umm bull. The reason people enjoy doing bods is because of the rewards. If it was unrewarding people wouldn't do them. What's the point of doing them when you can just buy the stuff from an NPC?

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Museum/Library rewards sort of do that now, don't they?

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm.. no, no they don't.

G

Possible gold limitations for UO:

-(250,000k tithe per murder count) Tithe Gold from bank to Healer to remove 1 murder count

-Lower Gold Drop rate by 50-90% to all creatures

-1 Hour long armor/weapon enchantment scrolls crafted by blacksmiths/tailors using rarer reagents (1 million)
Weapons: (Pick between 25% Lightning, 25% Fireball, 30% Harm, 35% Magic Arrow, 50% Stamina Leech, Mana Leech, 25% Hit Lower Defense/Attack) 30% Damage Increase
Armor:pick between (+5 to each resist) +4 Mana Regeneration, 15% Lower Mana Cost, 20% Lower Reagent Cost, 5 Hit Point Regeneration, 10 Stamina Regeneration

These would be non stackable of course and only be used once per day.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

No way!
Some of us really enjoy doing bods and selling the rewards we get. Not everyone is a scripter.
Don't compare something you can presently achieve in the game with something that shouldn't even exist in the game. IE: bod rewards vs vine cords.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree with the OP on this one. But then again, I HATE BODS. I HATE THEM. Pokemon of UO....lol...that is a good one. I like it.

Now, I do have to respect that some of you (crazy) folks out there like them. I can respect that. I just wish they could redo the rewards and make them something not so needed like high end weapons and armor. Could have other rewards. And yes, the way bods are now.....its a scripters dream. I really don't think most people find them fun, and that is one reason they are scripted. The whole crossword puzzle pokemon thing that is BODS, is simply not fun for most. I'm assuming here, but I'll say most people. Otherwise, why would they be scripted? It's just one example of why they are scripted (I realize people do it for profit ...which is why I like the OP's idea).......

Did I mention I HATE BODS?

Unfortunately, I just go out and buy all the BOD rewards I need. Barbed runics, gold and aggy hammers....bronze....I buy them all. Probably from scripters ...*sigh*.

If there were npc's around that sold them for just under player market value....oh what a gold sink!

Then crazy bod people could get other rewards. Like a hot poker. BOD runners could then poke themselves in the eye to get their kicks LOL.....Yay! a hot poker! Are we havin fun yet!

hehe ...dont take this to heart......I can respect that some like bods...I just think your all crazy :p....then again I also hate puzzles and crap...just my opp

G

I like puzzles too.

Seriously though if you're going to change the bod rewards you have to make them worthwhile. I don't use up all my ingots for nothing ya know...
So, if the rewards are worthwhile, it's going to be scripted anyway. Catch22-like.
Better to stop scripting than take away enjoyment.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enough with the nerf "BOD rewards" posts! Obviously you don't do BODs so you have no concept of the enjoyment and accomplishment we BOD runners get from doing it! The end result is I can sell the rewards for gold which I can use to buy other cool stuff or I can use them myself.

Where do you make your gold in the game? How would you like it if I suggested taking that part out of the game so you couldn't make your gold or enjoy the experience of accomplishing the tasks required to get your gold? I doubt you'd like that anymore than I like your idea.

Scripters can only be stopped by EA. Changing the game to be less fun for honest players is not the solution.

You want a gold sink?

1. EA reduces all gold by 99.9%. So 1,000 gold now is 1 gold piece. Any gold piles below 500 gold disappear.
2. Gold loot is greatly reduced except for Champions and Bosses. When a creature first spawns, it has no gold at all. The longer it is alive and at max health, the more gold it has (at a rate determined by the creature's fame level, capped at a predetermined max). This will stop Gold Farmers completely.
3. High-end Smith BOD rewards gold is dropped down to be inline with the Tailor BOD reward gold. Maybe even lower.
4. All NPC vendors buy items at agreatly reduced price except for resources, which follow a Sosarian-wide market value.
5. House prices stay the same.
6. Option to automatically reset all prices on player vendors. Lowest amount would be 1 gold piece.

End result? 99.9% less gold in the game. Gold actually has value again. 1 Million gold checks become extremely rare.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Your suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. You can still trade. You can still sell. Absolutely NOTHING technically stops you from doing so, especially if what you buy from a vendor is inferior to what you ear filling BoD's.

<blockquote><hr>

Umm bull. The reason people enjoy doing bods is because of the rewards. If it was unrewarding people wouldn't do them. What's the point of doing them when you can just buy the stuff from an NPC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. BoD's are so UN-FUN and UN-INTERESTING that VERY FEW do them because it's fun to do.

Do you think people PvP for the loot?
Do you think guilds are formed out of necessity?
Do you think the only reason people PvE is for the gold?

God I hope not. I hope they do these things because they're, you know, fun to do.

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm.. no, no they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

How's that, sports fan? They give good items without having to PvE.. You can farm resources to get them... That doesn't require PvE at all. It's an alternative to having to PvE to get something good.

Didn't say they were AS GOOD, but certainly in most cases, viable.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Enough with the nerf "BOD rewards" posts! Obviously you don't do BODs so you have no concept of the enjoyment and accomplishment we BOD runners get from doing it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I do fill BoD's, but for the precise reason that Flutter suggested: The Rewards.. And for no other reason. It's not fun for me, or enjoyable. And for many others, I'd imagine.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Enough with the nerf "BOD rewards" posts! Obviously you don't do BODs so you have no concept of the enjoyment and accomplishment we BOD runners get from doing it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I do fill BoD's, but for the precise reason that Flutter suggested: The Rewards.. And for no other reason. It's not fun for me, or enjoyable. And for many others, I'd imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]
If it's not fun for you don't do it and buy mine. That's all part of this game, why it's an MMORPG and not a console game. Players do what is "fun" for them (filling bods and getting the rewards is fun for me no matter how you're trying to swing it) and trade to other players for items they need from the rewards they get. The whole concept of an MMORPG community.
I know you fail to see....
Person A likes to hunt paragons and get paragon chests(rewards) to use or sell to person B who likes to do tmaps who digs up the tmaps to use or sell the items(rewards) to person C who likes to PvP at champ spawns to get powerscrolls(rewards) to use or sell to person A etc etc. In that world there are people who like to do bods to sell their rewards to people who like to use those rewards to get other items to sell or use.
You are suggesting taking away that persons game. To sell that persons rewards on NPC vendors at a "lower than the going rate" fee. That takes that person out of the game and the equation.
This is the best way I can explain it. To say that no one likes to do bods would be in error. I, along with many others, do.

Again, remove scripting from the game, do not take it out on the little guy.

A

Africanus

"Why not simply place a vendor in towns that sells PoFs, Runic Tools, and other BoD rewards, or limited versions thereof? "

Your one of those big goverment types aren't you? This is a free market and if EA were do put these vendors into action they would set prices rather than let the free market decide. Players pay what they are willing to pay.

If you do not enjoy or are not obsessed with organizing the bods, then quit. Go hunt or find some sort of other enjoyment in the game and buy the rewards from players.

I could stop all cheating in pvp, and kill all the joy at the same time.

All duels or fights end in a tie! Imagine that, they could speedhack, use bugs,
use bugged armor, over clock their computers and they would still only tie. Except it would kill all or any fun in pvp. There you go! Another way to murder a system you may or may not enjoy. No one can deny my solution wouldn't stop any reason to cheat in pvp.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True, true. I'll just have to hunt and have fun in UO my way, make the gold, then buy the stuff I need from folks like you who like it your way. Come to think of it, it DOES work out nicely like that. The part where it gets crappy though, is of course, the scripting.

There is a monkey in the works across several shards I've noticed. I won't go into details, but anyone who can have that many barbed kits is either scripting, or needs to go buy a bicycle.

Unfortunately, stiggy needs good armor. As stiggy does some crazy [censored]. So I goes out and buys them there cheap kits to help myself.

AND STIGGY HATE BODS!

I'd never sink to the level of some posters though and say they need nerfed, or removed altogether. I do wish there were other ways though of getting good armor. I smell another loot thread coming!

Or.......

My whole idea that I never dedicated its own thread too, because I don't think it will ever happen. Too hard to code, too much time. You know the one. I don't think you liked it....but I also don't think you gave it much a chance. The whole customizable crafting, renewal/decay armor thing :p

I posted it first in the KR beta forums way back when. I still think its a darn fine idea :p.....would take getting used to though.

Could work a lot of BOD style implements into it I guess too. I can't think of everything though

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]This is a game. Why are you doing something that isn't fun or enjoyable? It should at the very least be satisfying in some way.

G

BODs are fine.

If you place the BOD rewards on an NPC vendor, you destroy the BOD system (bad), or allow the scriptors to camp the vendors and buy out the reward items to place on their vendors at jacked up prices (re: the way reagents used to be) (also bad).

BODs are fine as they are right now.

G

Have player vendors charge gold for the average total of goods on them through out the day, not just what's on them at that point every 24 hours.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about a random NPC that would have a better BOD than normal? He can show up at any shop just like the other Smiths and Tailor NPC's but once he/she has been found and asked for a BOD disapears and reapears at another location maybe triggered somehow with a quest. I think things like this could easily make it harder for scripts and easier for the the people actually willing to find this npc.

G

I wouldn't mind that, provided that the price the NPC's sell these things for is double the shard average.

I

imported_Hanna

<blockquote><hr>

...Why not simply place a vendor in towns that sells PoFs, Runic Tools, and other BoD rewards, or limited versions thereof?

I see lots of advantages to this:

How much money is kept in circulation among players because of these items? If an NPC were to take the money, it would take it out of the economy, helping combat inflation. (If you believe it's a problem, which is another debate entirely that I wish to avoid here, for now.) Or, much like museum rewards, turn in resources for these items... Preferably rare ones.

[/ QUOTE ]What inflation is there with BOD rewards?
Barbed Runics used to sel for 6-8 MIL now sell for 2-2.5
Horned Runics used to sell for 1.5-2 Mil droped to 100-150k because they lacked any real usefullness after the hugh bump in loot drop. Now sell for 425 to 700K.
Even Spined runic Used to sell for 400-500k, but quickly dropped as people realized they never had any usefullness to about 15k. Now sell for 85-150k.

The same is true for the smithing Runics.
Thats not inflation, because the reason for the price change is a fundemental change in usefullness of the runics.<blockquote><hr>

It could help combat scripters as well, provided you can find that sweet spot for price. It'd have to be low enough that the scripters wouldn't bother with the effort needed to compete with it, but high enough to be an effective sink.

[/ QUOTE ]All that would do is put alot of crafters out of business, as scripters can already under price any crafter. Drive even more people from the game, 150k people lost they should be trying to stop that leak not find new way to drive more people away. Talk about distroying player interaction.

<blockquote><hr>

It would address the BoD's random elements by allowing players who don't wish to play the "Pokemon of UO" game to get these rewards. Even if, for example, the charges on everything was half of what a legitimate BoD reward produced, I'd still be willing to buy some of these rewards rather than spend the time needed to find the small BoDs and beat the RNG. And those who like the system intrinsically, well, they continue to go about their merry way...

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds more like you don't want to have player run vendor houses. While I hate luna, think it never should have been created and should be distroyed. One of the things I have loved about the game is running around the different land masses and visisting all the player run vendors. Unfornately most are now gone, luna's existance has done a fair job of distroying that. But now with most the houses gone too, except in malas, it's even worse.
Luna has been the biggest cause of inflation, between bugs that let them place 100s of millions of gold valued items on their vendors without fees, and usually the biggest scripter in all things, to the fact now they are just about the only vendors left.

It didn't help that for years instead of blowing scripters and dupers houses up they let them drop with all their content to the ground.

Item prices have only gone down for the most part, the influx of gold has more to do with scripters which your suggestion would not address, and the doubling of gold drops on monsters.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm.. no, no they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda they do tho, because you can outright BUY the items from the NPC's instead of turning in stuff for them in you wish to.

now if tailors or blacksmith NPC's offered kit's and hammers.. etc.. as a item to there 'buy' list i would buy stuff off them.
would rather outright buy that stuff from a NPC than thru another player who MIGHT have cheeted to obtain the item they are selling.
and definitly DISLIKE doing the BOD thing, VERY BORRING.

G

Also add the following purchasable by NPC's, since they are all scriptable.

Doom stealables: Inquisitors, Lamp Posts, Ruined Painting, etc.
Colored wood &amp; Ingots
Gems (Like ecru citrine)
Colored nets, Ancient SoS, MIB
Spined, horned, barbed leather
Premade potions &amp; kegs

There we go! Address all scripters at once. Its about as good of an idea as the OP....