• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gold selling - Straight answer please

P

Pojman5

Hi, I currently have found myself to be in a spot where i literally have too much gold. All of the gold I have has been obtained through either legal means, or through purchasing (Over time) from in game brokers. I would basicly just like to sell it all and get a return out of it. In this process Many people are accusing me of duping, hacking, etc. which I am not guilty of. Basicly my question is this - Is selling gold illegal? What kind of trouble can this get you into? All I know is about 70% of the UO community is buying/selling gold. I paged a gm and asked him this and he very sternly told me that i can/will get banned. But, there seems to be absolutly no follow up. Can this turn into an issue? Someone please just tell me a straight answer without the fine print. thanks

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The rule is: You are not allowed to use anything in game to make out of game cash. As legal as your gold is, EA has always felt it belongs to them and should remain in the game. Now if you were willing to give that gold away to those who choose to make a donation to your cause then that is just fine. It's just the selling of it that makes it illegal and bannable.

Now don't think im naive...I know there are plenty of people out there duping and selling and offering services and such for real cash but it's always the little guy that gets in trouble. If you are going to do it, be discreet about it and/or use a way that doesn't seem like you are doing exactly what you are doing. They may have you under close watch since you asked about it and i would hate to see another player banned for something small while the big dogs continue to reign.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
-You can't sell it on ebay.
-You can't advertise it in-game.

But buying & selling gold for cash has never been illegal. Try advertising on your shard forum here on stratics. You always see people trying to sell.

P

Pojman5

Alright let me ask you this - I make a purchase of 100 barbed runic kits for real life cash. I honestly have no idea where these kits came from or if they are obtained illegaly. For all I know they could be obtained leagaly or illegaly. I burn those kits and sell the armor for UO gold. Is that a problem? Or, I guess the question is - Is it illegal to do business with someone who is duping, hacking, scripting? Is this a problem even if you have no idea whatsoever how the items are being obtained?

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see people on the trade forum selling it all the time and I have never heard of any of them getting in trouble for it.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Selling ingame items and gold in UO for real life cash is and has been legal.

Ebay has since changed THEIR position and removed ingame sales auctions, but there are other places to make such transactions.

As long as you obtained the gold through legit gameplay, there is nothing different between giving someone the amount of gold for free or selling it for real cash. The ONLY thing that happens INGAME is that gold is moved from one owner to another.

The problem is when duping/scripting/exploting is involved, and that is a problem with duping/scripting/exploiting, NOT with gold selling.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright let me ask you this - I make a purchase of 100 barbed runic kits for real life cash. I honestly have no idea where these kits came from or if they are obtained illegaly. For all I know they could be obtained leagaly or illegaly. I burn those kits and sell the armor for UO gold. Is that a problem? Or, I guess the question is - Is it illegal to do business with someone who is duping, hacking, scripting? Is this a problem even if you have no idea whatsoever how the items are being obtained?
If you get caught with the barbed runic kits and they are duped, YOU WILL BE BANNED.

There were days when stuff like this and selling gold was fine. It was always illegal, they just didn't mind because it wasn't a problem. Then scripting/duping became widespread and it became an instant problem. Not so much for those who do it but for those who choose to do buisness with them. It's unfortunate but yes, you can get in trouble for what someone else does if you do buisness with them knowingly or unknowingly. Now if you make armor and sell it for gold, in a way you have just laundered something that was once illegal into legally obtained gold and it would be darn difficult to trace.

A

AtlanteanAngel

Straight answer :

Do whatever you want, just don't get caught.

That's Rule #1 in Life.

L

love2winalot

Quote: The rule is: You are not allowed to use anything in game to make out of game cash.end quote

Everytime EA sells an soulestone, or charger of the fallen, or anything else on their site, then they are breaking their own rule? EA even has an approved account transfer program, to sell your account to another player........So, yea, it is more than OK.

P

Pojman5

If you get caught with the barbed runic kits and they are duped, YOU WILL BE BANNED.

There were days when stuff like this and selling gold was fine. It was always illegal, they just didn't mind because it wasn't a problem. Then scripting/duping became widespread and it became an instant problem. Not so much for those who do it but for those who choose to do buisness with them. It's unfortunate but yes, you can get in trouble for what someone else does if you do buisness with them knowingly or unknowingly. Now if you make armor and sell it for gold, in a way you have just laundered something that was once illegal into legally obtained gold and it would be darn difficult to trace.
That dosent make sense though. Say for example someone Dupes a barbed runic kit. Places it on a vendor for 1 million. A newb comes along and buys it. Now he has possesion of the duped item. Does he get banned?

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By EA's rules, YES! I'm pretty sure they will eventually remove the ban once the new player explains himself but they can tell what is duped and if you have those items when the axe falls, you go down.

Let me say this though, i dunno of anyone who ever got banned for having one duped item. Most of the time they just delete them and your money you just spent is lost. Now if you have 100 of em i can't imagine that ending well at all.

N

Nenime

Straight answer :

Do whatever you want, just don't get caught.

That's Rule #1 in Life.
Weird answer for an angel ;). I always thought that Rule #1 in Life is: Do whatever makes you happy without making anybody else unhappy.

Pojman5, if you're looking for a use for your gold, why don't you try the Public Collections like the Zoo? The devs created this and other gold sinks to decrease the ingame amount of gold. It stabilizes the ingame economy. Selling gold can't do this because the overall amout stays the same. So, if your not in desperate need of real life money ingame gold sink is the better solution. And completely legal :)

J

Joyous2K

Weird answer for an angel ;). I always thought that Rule #1 in Life is: Do whatever makes you happy without making anybody else unhappy.

Pojman5, if you're looking for a use for your gold, why don't you try the Public Collections like the Zoo? The devs created this and other gold sinks to decrease the ingame amount of gold. It stabilizes the ingame economy. Selling gold can't do this because the overall amout stays the same. So, if your not in desperate need of real life money ingame gold sink is the better solution. And completely legal :)
And then there is the Golden Rule:

SHHHHH AMC Theaters

Vesta

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can still sell gold, etc on ebay. You just have to know how to word the auction. Sell a game disk with gold included. Really simple and totally legal (in ebay's eyes.) For that matter you can sell anything with gold or items attached to it. As long as you are offering something tangible it is all good.

T

Tyr

Selling UO in-game gold, & items is allowed. Selling in DaoC is not allowed. Although EA owns both games.

E

Eslake

Buying/Selling in-game items and gold is Allowed.
It is not "Legal" by the terms you agreed to to play the game, however.

They can't even control what happens INSIDE the game (as evidenced by the 24/7 script miners I report on every single day of the week who are still not banned) so I doubt you have anything to worry about if you trade some UO gold for RL $ on markee's or something.

As to getting banned for having a duped item, it kind of depends on which GM finds you and the mood they are in.

-I once had my entire pack double-duplicate in a shard crash at the yew subserver line. The GM who showed up when I paged (tho I did have to wait a while) let me select out the duplicated stuff and asked if I wanted to keep any. :p

-On another occasion I got a warning for Asking A Question about something as if I had actually done it already (it had to do with setting up an event using Herding). A PM to Cal got it cleared up and I was told Go For It.

The GMs don't know the rules, they never have. They each make up their OWN set of rules. That has been the way of it since beta and will continue to be the way of it until they close the last remaining shard down.

So the question isn't "Is it legal." The question is, do you gamble?

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, I currently have found myself to be in a spot where i literally have too much gold. All of the gold I have has been obtained through either legal means, or through purchasing (Over time) from in game brokers. I would basicly just like to sell it all and get a return out of it. In this process Many people are accusing me of duping, hacking, etc. which I am not guilty of. Basicly my question is this - Is selling gold illegal? What kind of trouble can this get you into? All I know is about 70% of the UO community is buying/selling gold. I paged a gm and asked him this and he very sternly told me that i can/will get banned. But, there seems to be absolutly no follow up. Can this turn into an issue? Someone please just tell me a straight answer without the fine print. thanks
I think I've even read interviews with devs where they defended the gold trading industry and realised that it's impossible to stop and that it does have positive sides.
I think it's very obvious that RMT is here to stay, until the day MMORPGs disable player-player trading and start selling gold themselves. Look at WoW. WoW has a very very strict 'no gold selling, no account trading' policy, yet if I wanted to I could order millions of gold on a popular US server and have it delivered to me within an hour. Thousands and thousands of people are active in the WoW gold farming industry.
As for banning: I've never seen anyone get banned or even warned over gold selling/buying. Oh wait, the only person that did was a GM that sold gold on eBay with his @uo.com e-mail addy ;).

Anyway, just don't cheat and you will be fine.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That dosent make sense though. Say for example someone Dupes a barbed runic kit. Places it on a vendor for 1 million. A newb comes along and buys it. Now he has possesion of the duped item. Does he get banned?
No one is going to get banned for buying 1 barbed kit. However, chances of 100s of barbed kits being legal are slim. If they are indeed duped then EA will have no sympathy for you, if you were to be caught. They have set many precedents in the past for exactly this kind of issues (refer to old posts by Wilki on this matter). If you suspect foul play then it is your responsibility to not go through with it. That is pretty much the policy.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Sell it.
Every game. EVERY game. Has gold sold.

Who cares what others think. You play. You pay. The game provides little course for disposing of excess gold.

Thousands of players have jobs and make real life money and dont mind spending it for entertainment.

That is what this game is.. Entertainment.

Sell away.

Dont advertise websites. Dont write in a book your selling gold. Dont spam selling gold.

Those are what you cant do.