• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

GMing Arms Lore *Long!*

Korik Bloodguard

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so now everyone wants to GM Arms Lore for that little extra bump it can give armor. The process is long, tedious, and involved so get yourself some caffeine.

Make a UO macro to:

Use Skill - Arms lore
Last target. (which is any weapon in your pack)

That was pretty hard, but the hard part is yet to come!

Now, you must hold down the key bound to that macro for 7 hours. Arduous, I know!

Good luck!
-KBG-

G

If I'm not mistaking, Arms lore can also be raised just by crafting Armour and weps. Thhe macro approach is a good idea for when you are not crafting, though.

I

imported_MaDProFF

would I be right in thinking it is fine using one dagger at low level, but to get high level you needs like buck loads of daggers, bit like lock picking, you cannot gain of same one twice until you have gained off another?

G

<blockquote><hr>

would I be right in thinking it is fine using one dagger at low level, but to get high level you needs like buck loads of daggers, bit like lock picking, you cannot gain of same one twice until you have gained off another?

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't required now in LPing...since they got rid of the anti macro code!
you can go to gm on a single box now.

G

Ok, sounds easy, but I think the timeframe is gonna be closer to 14hrs of continuous macroing. It took me about 4 1/2 hours to hit 75 then things slowed down tremendously. My hubby thankfully started macroing it for me this morning before server up and again after, so I've got in another 4 hours this morning and I'm currently at 96.1. We hit a wall at 95.9 and stayed there for nearly an hour. I even soulstoned off other skills to bring my total skills to 400 and that didn't break thru the stalled gains. I would like to hear if anyone else is hitting areas where they just can't seem to gain.

G

Been about 5 hours or so, not consistantly because I have taken brakes, but I found that if I create a macro in UO of use skill, last target, I can use a weight to mash the ley down while I train my pets on a shadow ele and have a heal/pet macro running from UOA. Both are boring, but at least I can kill two birds with one stone.

T

Trukx

Wow, been sitting on a soul stone for over 2 yrs for a rainy day like today.....for 5 wonderful points of DI on a crafted sword that my pally doesnt need anymore. Argggh. Good to see smiths getting some attention though.

K

Katana of LS

Hello, first time posting for me though I've been here for over 6 months now.

Ok, 5 hrs to 75 then hit a brick wall at 79 which lasted almost an hour. Now into 83 and still moving at 7 hrs in.

N

Nicar

If they didn't put that stupid blackrock in, i'd get after arms lore. such use for my smith/miner that already sells tons of powder of fort... anyways, suggestion to the stalled gains, sometimes suicide helps, seriously, if been like 10 minutes, go get killed, then continue. Worked for me in past on other skills

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No suicide needed. I just took a 30-minute break and went back to it. I'm at 91.3 now.

K

Katana of LS

10 hrs in..with a 1 hr break...now at 91.5 and breaking again....this laptop is starting to feel like an anvil on my lap tonight.

M

MrMarcus

Started at noon today from 0. Got to 77 pretty quickly and, yes, there's seems to be a significant slow down in gains afterwhat. Now after 12 hours, I'm sitting on a 94.1 and still gaining about 0.1 every 5 minutes or so.

G

92.2 and I conceeded the day. Still, a pretty good haul from 0. I used one scroll of alacricity at 87.3 and I got a 2.4 gain in the 15 minutes it was in effect.

I'll get back at it tonight, but one question I have is, will arms lore still raise through the normal method or will it only raise now when something is crafted?

M

MrMarcus

It raises through crafting weapons and armors AND normal method, which consist of loring crafted weapons and armors using the skill directly and target the proper item.
I finally GMed Arms Lore today after an hour. So it tooks me about 15 hours to GM it from 0 to 100.
Good Luck all!

K

Katana of LS

Worked 1.5 hrs tonight and have made it to 94.6 - sooner or later it will hit 100!

G

<blockquote><hr>

No suicide needed. I just took a 30-minute break and went back to it. I'm at 91.3 now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you ! I am at 87.5 and stuck. At least I don't get the message " You are not sure" Now I get. . " You are too far away". .
Now that is a real laugh the blasted thing is in my backpack. . !
My smith Absalom will not give up though. He refuses to budge and is working at the forge between studying the pieces of armour he needs to get his Arms Lore to the desired strength. .

K

Katana of LS

I'm now at 98.2 and my smith chained himself to the forge then smelted the key to the padlock. At least the gains are coming a slightly faster than before. 95 to 97.5 were soooooooo sloooooooooow.

I

imported_FarausKarzak

Woa i jumped on my smith last 2 days to gm arms lore and why not, legend smith and tailor!

from 114.* smith and 112.5 tailor

legend smithy - 78.* arms lore (below 60k iron used which is nothing compared to bod filling)
legend tailor - 91 arms lore (17.5k leather used)

...and now what? i must arms lore my lil dagger to gm?!
wow last 1% was terrible..
But a new double legend is born, again =P

G

I GM'd in just under 3 hours from my last post. I used a Soul Seeker the whole 100 skill points.

K

Katana of LS

GM'd Arms Lore with my smith late sunday night after 21 hours total (spread across many days due to RL duties). 0 - 100 with an undead slayer. Also gained a few points towards Elder Smith by filling some BOD's at the same time.

Rhus Radicans

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did this over the weekend, from a skill level of 25 (purchased) I'd estimate it took me 8+ hours to GM.

T

The Soldats

a question
do you need diffrent pices with more mods to gain at diffrent levels

or can I just use a soulseeker
(like ShanShu did)

and just set the macro and waste some of my life
(but wasted for a good cuse at least)

G

Gwen...I hit a wall training it in the low 90's. I had no gains in almost an hour. I went off and Had a friend kill me in fel.
The gains started again for me right away. All told I was about 12 hrs it seems from 0 to GM....looking at 4 different weapons...over...and over....and over....and over....oh well you get the idea!
TW

T

The Soldats

GM at last! total hours 13.
God bless a rock+macro key
and a portable DvDplayer

G

13 hours was about the time that it took me as well ...a piece ..As I have a smith and fletcher on two different chars I had to do it twice
I didnt have a portable dvd player...a nice book though.
I only lored a soulseeker

B

Blackbeard-EKC

Quarter of an hour using one arms lore alacrity scroll and i got to 60.
Purchased the first 25 though so i got 35 from 15 minutes.

D

Drockarias

I didn't note the exact time that I started but I'm guessing it was about 12:30. I started from 0 skill and made a uoa macro to lore all of the armor and clothing my character is wearing, as well as a couple things in the backpack. It's now 3:30, so after about 3 hours I am at 77.4 skill. I haven't used any scrolls of alacrity yet. The gains have seemed to slow down, although I haven't hit a wall yet.

*Update*
I thought I'd give an update on my progress with a little better note of the time involved. I have put another three and a half hours into it and am now at 91.3. The last two and a half hours has seen a gain of 7.4 points from 83.9 skill.

I

imported_DaSampla

Just GM'd in Arms Lore thanks to my little dagger. Took around 12 hours on and off due to work etc.

M

mike8756

I'm about 6 hours in starting at 85, I got that much naturally crafting to GM and tinkering to 70. Hit a brick wall at 93, taking about 4 hours now to get from 93 to 94.5, think I might go kill myself soon. My macro is slightly different then the original post.

UseSkill Arms Lore
WaitForTarget
LastTarget
LastTarget

I did this mainly to keep from getting the spam of "You have to wait etc..."
It's still fast, just about perfect, maybe once every ten times I get the wait message.

H

headsplit

Eeeek has this skill been changed?

im a good 24 hours into arms lore, 93.9 skill at the moment.

Ive been reading in previous posts 14 hours to GM, not in my case

*cries in to hands*

.2 gain in 2 hours

A

Axe44

It must've changed! I was encouraged by those evaluations and started from 0 myself. Its true first 75 were fast in few hours... then it started to be hard. Took me second evening to 85 when things really went painstaking: after another day i wasnt further than 94 when total wall hit! No gains in hours!

Today i got fed up and came to Twisted Weald going satyr, starting from 94.2. I was even lucky to find a paragon satyr which helpfully lowered my skills to mid 60s
Now ive seen some progress, but still slow as ever EVEN with para-satyr disco! Cant imagine without, even my macro hits succesfull skill check once in 1,4 seconds!

I know GM skill shows as 72.0 when under disco from normal satyr. This para lowered me even more so i suspect 71.4 - 71.6. is enough for GM with this.

It seems my char just hit 71.6 as i was writing this
so i bet i start to be there!! I take no chances and wait still for a while before dropping off disco. It was that hard to obtain in the first place with para one

GL to all!

G

Gwen_Denugz

i was working from home yesterday, so i thought that i would take the oppurtunity to train some skills as i would be home. I stoned lumberjacking as it has really frustrated me since the random resource patch (but thats a different story all together). I decided since i already have carp, tinker blacksmithy and tailor maxxed out i mind as well gm arms lore. i set up a useskill---&gt;last target macro and lored the ax that was in my hand (whick i will no longer need) I set up this macro on the second 'puter at home, and worked off my main 'puter for RL stuff. I started this macro shortly after 7am, and i finished my RL work shortly before 6pm, less than 11 hours total. I was at 99.9 at this time. I decided to make 5 daggers, 1 iron, 1 dull copper, 1 bronze, 1 gold, and last a valorite. I used a regular smith hammer and not a runic. After I made these 5 I lored them. I used the lore skill maybe 10 times before i got the last .1. So....i would say that the way lore is gained has not changed as i set it up and let it run on the 'puter next to me, and all told, GM'd in less than 11 hours. I think this may be more a case of a watched pot never boils for those of you who are having troubles. Just set up the macro and let it run. Dont worry about trends, and slow downs, just let it go and DND, and you will get there soon enough

A

Axe44

Hmm...or then it could matter somehow what kind of weapon you are targetting... for the whole my training i was targetting Melisande's corroded hatchet. No idea if smith/self made weapons work better... because it REALLY was that slow and hard for me as i described

Hmph, go figure...

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ok, so now everyone wants to GM Arms Lore for that little extra bump it can give armor. The process is long, tedious, and involved so get yourself some caffeine.

Make a UO macro to:

Use Skill - Arms lore
Last target. (which is any weapon in your pack)

That was pretty hard, but the hard part is yet to come!

Now, you must hold down the key bound to that macro for 7 hours. Arduous, I know!

Good luck!
-KBG-

[/ QUOTE ]

I am really dumb about macros and this one seemed really easy to do. Mine looks like this:
Arms lore
Cursor target last
Delay 4
key binding "F" key

But if I just hold down the key it only works once then I have to repress the key. What am I doing wrong?

G

Gee Guys I didn't mean to kill the thread with my last post. I got it sorted out but after 2 1/2 days I am at 93.8 on a new character. Either the skill gain rate has been changed or I am cursed by the skill Gods. I do keep gaining but it a very slow attack.

M

Madchild

well ive been playing around on another shard gettin pvm chars up and some crafters i decided to start arms lore and tailor off at 50 points each when i make the char lol oil cloth to 109 then i started doing armour stupid me didnt know arms only goes up when crafting armour so i was 109 tailpr and 50 arms lore lol ...

Ok lesson learned on my new shard so i returned home where i have a GM smith and GM tailor (on same char ) i have eatin 120's and have yet to do arms lore so i started at 0.0 after hittin 120 in smith and tailor my arms lore was sittin at 96 ish i am now doing small iron bods for the last lil bit i am 99.9 arms lore .

i wanted to get the skills done and i knew it went up with crafting so thru my need to 120 and fill 200 bods (OUCH MY BLOODY HANDS HURT) i have hell its 0.1 left i GMed thru pure crafting no use skill macro .

so thats GM arms lore
120 smith &lt; -----------------------------in one shot
120 tailor
and some bods filled

G

Actually I have noted gains when crafting ANYTHING with resists - headgear in Tailoring for instance. While my smith exercises his mining, my Tailor is getting AL bumped up as fast as he can with 100K of cloth! &lt;shrug&gt;

G

I started training Arms Lore last Saturday. My skill was at 33.3. I kept looking at my smithy hammer on Sunday almost all afternoon and into the night. Right now, I am sitting at 95. I am hoping to GM it in 4 - 4.5 hours tonight. After that, my second acct (at 90). About right now, I'm cursing myself for putting a crafter on two different accounts!

G

hum since i took a break from uo I'm glad i tossed my gm armslore along time ago on to a soul stone to keep it now i may have to pull it out once again. Does it effect bod's in any way or only crafting?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just crafting (but helps ALL crafting skills that can make armor or weapons - Blacksmith, Carpenter, Fletcher, Tailor, Tinker):
At Grandmaster
+5% DI for Weapons, on top of any Exceptional/Runic+Recipe bonuses.
+5 more random Resists on top of the Exceptional Bonus for armor (20 instead of 15 for non-runic, 11 instead of 6 for runic). This is a real boon for the SP crafters (effectively 30 more resists for a GM suit; 6x47/5 = 56+ average for resists on GM suits, up from just over 50).

I'm one of the people that considers any kind of skill gain that doesn't involve DOING things in game, to be a waste of time. One doesn't get gold or loot from looking at weapons or bashing a golem. I found that, just filling smith BODs, and tailor armor &amp; hat BODs (only works for items with resists or that can cause damage, hence the tailor BOD choices), I gain about 3-5 times in Arms Lore for every 1 crafting skill gain, at any level (and was getting 10-20 gains an hour when was getting maybe ONE doing the "repeated lore an item" method - and that might have been a GGS). So, all my Arms Lore gains have been from filling
BODs (except on my fletcher, who gets them doing bow quests for runics).

If you start a blacksmith or blacksmith/tailor as a standard blacksmith template (non-custom, non-advanced), then do the smith train quests in New Haven, you'll probably hit GM Arms lore about the time you hit GM to 110 Smith - sooner if you have tailor or fletcher, or make staves/crooks to train carp and/or weapons to train tinker on the same character.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note:

This thread is being Unstickied, after being replaced by a section in the new FAQ. It is being set on "Keep", however, to keep it from falling into the archive, so people that "View All Posts" will still be able to find it should they wish to read it or add more comments.

Basara

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note:

This thread is being Unstickied, after being replaced by a section in the new FAQ. It is being set on "Keep", however, to keep it from falling into the archive, so people that "View All Posts" will still be able to find it should they wish to read it or add more comments.

Basara