• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

gm service reaches another low

Ferrut

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been trying to keep outta this, but as nobody has mentioned it yet, I'd just like to say...
Harrassment/stalking of this kind is illegal, whether verbal, in a chat room, via email, or in an online game.
Surely taking legal action to get isp records/address/name and take him/her to court is a perfectly reasonable course of action here??
I suppose to some extent this is something EA should be (perhaps even is?) doing, but I don't really know...

M

Monkey

Yes, if the content of the harassment contains anything of obvious illegal nature, then you can indeed take it to the police; at least in the UK; especially considering the racist and sexual remarks he has been placing down and the relentless targetting of a few people in particular.

G

Guardsmen Militia

Well, banned another two of his Trial accounts from houses today, yet lo and behold, he's still able to get in - with yet another 'young' account.

I know this isn't a problem that can be sorted overnight but it's getting ridiculous that (regardless of the harassment, breaking ToS and whatever else) -anyone- is able to abuse the trial account system in this way and it continues for so long and so blatantly.

Also, reading the FoF on my.uo I presume none of this counts as 'griefing' or 'harrassment' and he's free to type and say what he likes, especially on notice boards as it isn't TO anyone.

Makes you wonder though.. if "profanity itself is not prohibited" (taken from my.uo FoF) why is it they prevent you having titles like 'Assassin', Ass is hardly profanity and even if it were, profanity isn't forbidden!

This isn't a dig at Chrissay, or anyone in particular, more just pointing out the fact that the 'system' just doesn't work and doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I'm tired of paging and having them sent back, or paging knowing full-well nothing can be done (as even if they are banning him; it's taking him seconds to make another trial account) as are many others. I'm tired of seeing the bile this idiot spouts all over the game, I'm tired of trapped crates being spread and dropped everywhere, killing everyone from RPers, to new players to Vets. I'm tired of seeing people spend hours creating something for this idiot to sit and destroy it just to grief because he knows there is no come-back for him. I'm tired of seeing him following people around; through moongates and by horse/foot to shout obscenities at them, and I am tired of seeing account after account being created by him, for free, and hearing the complaints of all the paying customers about him. Because he IS upsetting people.

And why? Because the situation doesn't conform to the typical 'griefing and harassment' policy and procedure. Saying that though, how many do actually fit into this:

Behavior that is dependent on circumstance and how you attempt to resolve the situation include most other verbal harassment situations such as name calling. Before you submit a complaint be sure you understand what constitutes harassment and that you have followed these steps:

1. You have asked the player to "please stop, *player name*", and they have continued to repeat the offending behavior.
2. It is critical that the accused player that was told to stop should also be included as a target when submitting a petition.
3. You have tried to remove yourself from the situation, for example, by recalling away or moving several screens.
4. You have done nothing to instigate or further encourage the harassment.
5. You have added the player to your ignore list, which is located in your UO options, under Filter Options.
6. You have read and understand Electronic Arts' definition of harassment, and Electronic Arts' Terms of Service.
7. Your account information is up to date, including a current email address.

Please note that profanity itself is not prohibited, as Ultima Online is a teen rated game by the Entertainment Software Rating Board. However, this does not permit a player to harass another player with profanity.
-UO Customer Support
(Posted not on behalf of Grd but as the opinion of the player of Floria)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If this was me, and I was in a similar position a few years ago with a stalking ex in UO/RL, I'd do a few things at this point:

1) Get down the police station and see if they have anyone there who knows about internet stalking and see if they can do anything about the abuse you're getting. In my case it was the RL threats and personal info he plastered on the net that my BF asked about, but I would still ask at least to verify at what point it does become a matter for the police to act. Explain that a 9 year old child is also playing UO alongside you, they should take that a lot more seriously.

2) If it was me, regardless of how cool they are, I'd have had the message boards down. It's basically giving him a free pen and paper to scribble his trash on, and obviously he's enjoying that. Let him spend gold on books that decay rather than clean up messy boards all the time in UO. Direct players to your website/forums instead and get a few other guildies working as mods to ensure he gets banned should he turn up there.

3) Something I did when I got stalked was simply change to unknown chars for a while just to get a break in public places. Pretend your character has gone away, fallen ill or whatever and don't name their replacement to any but your most trusted friends. Basically, don't give him a familiar face to harass, then without the victim he's just a sad lonely little boy looking for some attention. If he can't see a "victim" he can't play up to you. If you're standing beside him and he doesn't know it, you're getting the last laugh. You can still go to the same places, just don't let him know who you are. Use the chars if you want, just don't go where he's likely to hang out. Or use a disguise kit and hide your guild tag/outfit instead.

I'd be curious to find out who the player is behind this sorry mess, or rather who his "proper" chars are. Sounds like a very disgruntled ex guildie, but one that everyone would wanna avoid recruiting into their guilds.

Wenchy

W

Wellz

Thanks for the advice, Wenchkin. :)

I took my bulletin board down days ago, when he threatened to post more obsceneties on it to my brother. Many others have also taken theirs down after noticing his posts. However, this is still a problem for the following reason: Many player holding houses with bulletin boards are either semi-active or completely inactive. This means that they are not around to remove their bulletins or the entire board itself. :(

I may try a disguise kit etc, but the chances are that if he sees me at the shop I provide for, he'll grief me regardless. He also knows a couple of my characters, as he's watched me log in and out at my house, recalling straight out. I'm trying to keep the ones I play on to a minimum, so if he ever comes back after this is over, I can be hopefully free of hassle. (I am mainly concerned about my roleplaying characters, as he seems to take heightened pleasure from aggravating roleplayers).

I only played yesterday whilst he wasn't around. Every time he came I just logged off and went to do something else. I don't particularly -mind- doing that, but the real question is... Should I have to?

As for police contact, I have not gone to that extreme thus far. However, I have only not done this because I am relying on the statement that something is being done about it (IE an investigation). I don't really want to get people into trouble. I just want him away from UO!

-Rach/Wellz.

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
unfortunately this does not fall within the harassement act or slander. and also try explaining it to a high tech crime police unit. isnt it a shame that we have to consider these things
:danceb::danceb:

W

Wellz

This morning the Swagger's Inn awoke to this:

http://i26.***********/5x7crs.jpg

We've seen him around and about, and those barrels are obviously from outside my house and further down the road.

Thankfully, I knew you could just go into custo mode and get rid without altering the house. Took 2 seconds once we realised.

However, this griefer must have spent hours putting 20 pitchers of water into each one...

R

RD Gumbie

Horse problem is solved through our own methods. Luring a crystal elemental there to have it kill all of them. Was a bit chaotic due to all the people involved, but it worked.

He of course will report people for luring.

LOL, someone is buying some goods off my vendor in this pic :) Over priced my ass, we have some nice cheap vendors there.

Peps should come to our shop and buy everything just to show this guy! :)

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I ask a genuine honest question here - [And I think this person deserves a perma life ban and what not for all this stupid grief] - how can EA stop this person playing if s/he keeps using free trial accounts?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may try a disguise kit etc, but the chances are that if he sees me at the shop I provide for, he'll grief me regardless. He also knows a couple of my characters, as he's watched me log in and out at my house, recalling straight out. I'm trying to keep the ones I play on to a minimum, so if he ever comes back after this is over, I can be hopefully free of hassle. (I am mainly concerned about my roleplaying characters, as he seems to take heightened pleasure from aggravating roleplayers).

I only played yesterday whilst he wasn't around. Every time he came I just logged off and went to do something else. I don't particularly -mind- doing that, but the real question is... Should I have to?
No, you shouldn't have to do that. But the hope is that you can have some semblance of a normal game while he's wasting his time looking for a char he won't find. And each time he can't get a kick out of harassing you, you've won. That's how I looked at it. He's disrupting his own game far more than you are with yours, and if folks take the mickey out of him while he's wasting time then he's really not going to have much fun. Which hopefully means he'll move on to something more productive or get arrested for carrying that repulsive attitude into RL.

Tip your hat at him, tell him to have a nice day as you pass each time and enjoy the satisfaction that he won't know where you are and he's loitering around for nothing :)

For vendor stocking, if you can get stealth on a char, that would enable you to get in and do what you need to without him seeing you. That's what I've done, though more to avoid being PK'd before I loaded goodies on a vendor lol.

Wenchy

K

Kiminality

Can I ask a genuine honest question here - [And I think this person deserves a perma life ban and what not for all this stupid grief] - how can EA stop this person playing if s/he keeps using free trial accounts?
An IP ban probably wouldn't work, since if they have dynamic IPs from their ISP, then they can just reconnect and get a new one. Thus the ban wouldn't affect them, and would affect innocent people who happened to get that IP through chance. The only way to avoid the dynamic IP allowing evasion would be banning of an IP block, which would affect far more innocent people.
If registering of trial accounts required a credit card, or such, then that would affect innocent people who don't/can't have such a thing.

In effect, any measure that was put into effect would have a greater effect on the innocent.

The only method I can think of, to help mitigate this abuse of trial accounts, is for pages against trial accounts to be somehow flagged as priority for GMs.
There are many abuses of trial accounts, and if a trial account is being used to perform activities that invite a page, it should be taken into account.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An IP ban probably wouldn't work, since if they have dynamic IPs from their ISP, then they can just reconnect and get a new one. Thus the ban wouldn't affect them, and would affect innocent people who happened to get that IP through chance. The only way to avoid the dynamic IP allowing evasion would be banning of an IP block, which would affect far more innocent people.
If registering of trial accounts required a credit card, or such, then that would affect innocent people who don't/can't have such a thing.

In effect, any measure that was put into effect would have a greater effect on the innocent.

The only method I can think of, to help mitigate this abuse of trial accounts, is for pages against trial accounts to be somehow flagged as priority for GMs.
There are many abuses of trial accounts, and if a trial account is being used to perform activities that invite a page, it should be taken into account.
That was my thought entirely but being a computer n008 I wasnt sure.

Ferrut

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regarding the law, I ain't pretending to be at all knowledgable in that regard, but all I have read is similar to this :

http://www.wiredsafety.org/gb/stalking/

ie. the victims here would easily have a case should they choose to go down that route.

I was talso hinking the same as Callum. No way to ip ban or card ban on a trial :(

Kimi's idea of prioritising pages on trial account is great though.

Only other thing I can think of is some kind of encrypted protection in the client to prevent an excess of trial accounts. I guess that would be hacked fairly swiftly by some of the hardcore scripters though.