• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gm [omitted] was the worst GM ever

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I had to close an account some time ago due to rising gas prices. It was a spur of the moment requirement at the time and I did not even have the time to empty my home on the account.

The house fell today and I was able to regain my posessions thanks to the kind folks of the pacific shard and diligence. Unfortunately my 5th year reward ankh was incapable of being re-deeded due to its height on the z axis and some other odd reasons. The water troughs and other addons were able to be redeeded but the ankh was bugged or something.

I paged a gm to ask for the item to be lowered or simply redeeded. As there was no question who the owner was by the clear lack of counter claims. The gm informed me the ankh malfunctioning was not at issue but rather my claim of ownership and promptly deleted my ankh. GM D**** claimed that ownership was the only relevant factor despite past GMs stating it was not in situations where I and other had no legitimate claim of ownership, admittedly. He was rude, and rather than listening or answering my questions he left despite a qeue of 1 when I had paged....

GM D****, is a horrible gm. Look for another GM if you have the poor luck of receiving this one.

M

Mankind

IBTL...GMs can be bad yes,but thou canst not nameth (Joe) them..

M

Mankind

Because they aren't allowed to post here I believe, which means they can't read and respond (defend) themselves here. Stratics rule actually, you can praise them all you want by name, but you can't dog em by name..

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GM's have posted here in the past though... can you point this rule out in the tos for me?

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the way i see it you have every right to criticize someone when you are paying their salary. maybe if we can name GM's they'll stop hiding behind their veil of secrecy and start doing their jobs... maybe.

A

AesSedai

Stratics Rules of Conduct:
C. Personal attacks are prohibited.This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way.

Remove the name and then it wouldn't be a problem to discuss your situation. ;)

A

AesSedai

- to the best of my recollection, only head GMs have posted as representatives (and not too often at that; but they have).

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it's not a personal attack. It's a review of the poor attitude and lack of knowledge by a specific gm.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a mod will have to alter the title. I altered the text just to be safe.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ankha cant be axed the house owner can only redeed it by clicking on it. since there was no house means there was no owner for the ankha sorry the GM was right on this one.
but now if someone waited to place a house on that spot he would of been able to redeed it

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well ya know, when you get that email for his review, make sure you let him have it.

A

AesSedai

'Name' was the -worst- GM ever...

That sounds pretty direct to me.

'Omnious' posted a -most direct- subject title...

That is pretty direct too.
The 'personal' is pretty clear.
Yet I don't feel like I -attack- with a negative -descriptor-...
Just sayin'.
(It has been commonly known on Stratics that we don't use GM names when complaining or trying to understand a negative interaction with them. As said earlier it is because they cannot come defend themselves due to the respect of our UO user privacy.)

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps it would have seemed less offensive if you said "My review of GM [name]"

A

AesSedai

- No we don't be mean :)

If we want to vent then we drop specific names (except for GM reviews).

A

AesSedai

My question would be:
Was the same character that claimed the Ankh Reward the one that could not reclaim it? Just thinking about something with veteran rewards being tied to specific characters.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
K

Kith Kanan

IMHO they need to hire more GM's with IQ's higher than soap bars....

N

NewThunder

Once your house fell you no longer owned the Ankh, the GM was justified in removing the item from game. As stated before if you wad waited out the stupid timer and placed a house over the Ankh, there is a good chance you would have found it in the new houses moving crate.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ankhs are usually disappear together with other house add ons if the house falls.
As long as this is not changed, there is no reason to claim ownership on the item. (Have seen the same with banners hanging in the air or flying parrots in the past, no chance to get a GM to recover those things.)
*Salute*
Olahorand

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can buy a new one off a vendor for less than half a mill... which at current gold prices is the equivalent of about 40 cents... i know that's not your point, but that would be my recommendation.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there should be a forum for discussing the action of a GM where GMs can post in and people can either bash or praise the action that a gm took, this will help ea know who is doing their job correctly, and u should be allowed to name them, the rules on stratics should be changed for this, the rules are made up of only a select few but not by the thousands of people that actually use the forums, there should be a poll asking if people want the rule changed for this case and if majority wins then it gets changed, stratics is used by many people and having only the people in charge of the website making the rules is unfair

N

NewThunder

there should be a forum for discussing the action of a GM where GMs can post in and people can either bash or praise the action that a gm took, this will help ea know who is doing their job correctly, and u should be allowed to name them, the rules on stratics should be changed for this, the rules are made up of only a select few but not by the thousands of people that actually use the forums, there should be a poll asking if people want the rule changed for this case and if majority wins then it gets changed, stratics is used by many people and having only the people in charge of the website making the rules is unfair
Stratics is a privately owned fansite, the rules should be maintained by the Stratics Admins as they see fit. It is not unfair, it is the nature of ownership. Did we lose the cold war and the Communist win? Since when does a majority of visitors have the right to tell ownership how to run their site?

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The inconsistency of GM actions is absurd. What gms will do for months suddenly changes because another gm responded instead...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In-game customer service has always, always been UO's weakest spot.

I have many stories I could tell you.

I have had some good experiences, but they are few and far between, enough so that when they occur I usually roll onto the boards and tell people about them.

However, what I do not get is people saying that this is something new. It's always been this way, to one degree or another.

-Galen's player

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stratics is a privately owned fansite, the rules should be maintained by the Stratics Admins as they see fit. It is not unfair, it is the nature of ownership. Did we lose the cold war and the Communist win? Since when does a majority of visitors have the right to tell ownership how to run their site?
if it wasnt for visitors no one would care about the site

K

Kiminality

Nice reasoning...

However, consider this as like any other privately owned venue, which the public are allowed to enter.
Would you go into a public house/bar, and complain that you can't verbally harass the other customers?
Would you go into a park, and complain that you have to put litter in bins?

Claiming that you have more rights to govern constraints on your behaviour, because you are a visitor/customer/member of a whole that supports the subject's existence, is astonishingly... Absurd...

I

Ishmael

Nice reasoning...

However, consider this as like any other privately owned venue, which the public are allowed to enter.
Would you go into a public house/bar, and complain that you can't verbally harass the other customers?

Claiming that you have more rights to govern constraints on your behaviour, because you are a visitor/customer/member of a whole that supports the subject's existence, is astonishingly... Absurd...
Yes, you should never question the rules. Whether it's government, your employer, a corporation, or your condo association. Obey all rules unquestioningly, regardless of their source - otherwise you're a communist, an evil-doer and you obviously don't support the troops. If you don't like the rules, you are free to leave your job, your home, your country, or just die. Wherever you go, look for a strong daddy figure to tell you what to do so you don't have to think for yourself.

Never question the reasoning of those in authority - they are doing their best to protect our freedom and keep us safe.

L

love2winalot

Not to defend them, but customer service is, and always will be inconsistant. Just call your local power company, or ISP, or anyone. Ask a question, get an answer, and hang up and call back and ask the same question to a different rep, and you will usually get a different answer. And none of those things are as complicated as UO is.

M

MoonglowMerchant

a mod will have to alter the title. I altered the text just to be safe.
Request heard and completed. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation on this.

Also, it may be far better to send your complaint the official ways:

Feedback Form: http://www.uoherald.com/feedback/index.php
Game Master Complaints: http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=263

Cheers.
You know that you can edit the titles to your own threads by clicking on the space next to the thread title?

K

Kiminality

Yes, you should never question the rules. Whether it's government, your employer, a corporation, or your condo association. Obey all rules unquestioningly, regardless of their source - otherwise you're a communist, an evil-doer and you obviously don't support the troops. If you don't like the rules, you are free to leave your job, your home, your country, or just die. Wherever you go, look for a strong daddy figure to tell you what to do so you don't have to think for yourself.

Never question the reasoning of those in authority - they are doing their best to protect our freedom and keep us safe.
Mmm... Tasty hyperbole...

You do realise, you failed to actually counter any point in my post, right?

R

Revenant2

It's hard to find people who can do the GM job at all. And then, when you get people who can, different people have different strengths relative to various aspects of it.

Being a GM will make some people sorta hardened toward players, making them not willing to explain what they do or why if they know they are right. GMs have a birdseye view of the most abusive players around - they are the ones seeing the outcome of duping right in their face, the scripting, the scammer complaints, the tit-for-tat malicious complaints players make about each other - - real fun stuff to deal with every friggin day. They also take blame from players when things that should be rectified cannot be due to current rules or current GM abilities.

All of them won't necessarily get hard to people - some won't, and may take time to talk to you. The ones who turn out sorta hardened won't necessarily be bad at the job itself - - once again, it's hard to find anyone who can do it properly for the long-term.

It's possible for someone to be a fantastic developer of content, and at the systems level hold the player convenience at the highest level, yet be horrible at being a GM. I don't say that theoretically, I've seen just this thing.

People who can do the job competently for a long period of time are gonna be kept in the job for sure, even if they are a bit hard in their communications with players.

It seems possible that the GM deleted the thing because the rules he/she follows say that items that cannot be re-deeded like that due to the owner being gone have to be deleted so that others can place housing. It may be a non-negotiable rule that the GM's own powers don't have the ability to selectively circumvent.

I don't know how much ability the GMs on production shards actually have. The GM may not have been able to re-deed it. Doing what you asked may have required deleting the item and creating a new deed to pass to you, and GMs may not be able to create items just like that. On production shards I would expect that the regular GM accounts have safeguards in place about item creation and manipulation to try to be sure everybody stays honest - I'd prefer it that way for sure if I were a working GM for them, that way I wouldn't be under suspicion of such things.

It seems possible that the person knew they couldnt help and just did what they had to do and got out of there, figuring there wasn't much explaining that he was going to be able to do to make you happy with the outcome.

If I was stuck in that situation as a GM and I knew I had to follow through with it, I mighta waited and gone back some time later and deleted it such that it looked like it decayed, after explaining that I really could not re-deed it and the house owner literally had to be the one. It woulda been less upsetting that way .... heh.

A comment I do wanna make... those pre-written responses you see sometimes... I hate that implementation... I feel like if something requires player negotiation the page should be passed off to someone who's good at that sort of thing, not have pre-written stuff puked in the player's direction.

B

butthead owns

well for some reason there a bug on most rewards for now if u didnt place it u cant redeed it even as the home owner had same issue with the staue maker i had to open an old acct just to redeed the junky thing and i page a gm 25 time that never showed or even sent a reply there lucky i dont work or live near them or there would be lots of butt kicking happeing

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well for some reason there a bug on most rewards for now if u didnt place it u cant redeed it even as the home owner had same issue with the staue maker i had to open an old acct just to redeed the junky thing and i page a gm 25 time that never showed or even sent a reply there lucky i dont work or live near them or there would be lots of butt kicking happeing
They probably couldn't understand why you were paging...

I

Ishmael

Mmm... Tasty hyperbole...

You do realise, you failed to actually counter any point in my post, right?
What's to counter? Your assertion that people don't have a right to complain or object?

Would you go to a restaurant and scold the other customers for complaining about poor service because the restaurant had a rule against complaining? How about a business owner's right to turn away someone of color, claiming they were too busy that day, then take the next person in line right away? (witnessed it myself just this week) Is that okay? It is their business, after all.

The original post in question was a perfectly reasonable description of the actions of an employee of a company the poster was paying for a service. He was not accusing anyone of crimes or moral atrocities. This was not slander or libel. Why should he not be able to name the employee in question? It's not even their real name, but a character name they chose for their identity in a video game!

The idea that corporations should be able to set up "Constitution Free Zones" is one I summarily reject. The fact that the sheeple of our country have allowed their rights to be eroded will in no way deter me from pushing back whenever I hear the kind of rhetoric that encourages people to be docile and compliant.

You know the type - you can spot them sucking up to the perceived authority figures in almost any given context. Glad we don't have any of them here.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know that you can edit the titles to your own threads by clicking on the space next to the thread title?
Yep however, there were many replies by the time I read the edit request, so it would have either taken a large trimming of the thread or a long wait to wait on the other posters to edit their reply titles. So, I obliged the Original Poster's request.

I decided to go ahead and post the preliminary How To for Subject Editing. It is now in the FAQ sticky here in U.Hall. :)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice reasoning...

Would you go to a restaurant and scold the other customers for complaining about poor service because the restaurant had a rule against complaining? How about a business owner's right to turn away someone of color, claiming they were too busy that day, then take the next person in line right away? (witnessed it myself just this week) Is that okay? It is their business, after all.
Ish,

Your kind of reply is .... one way of making a point but in my opinion it is a cheap shot. In short you exaggerated to the extreme trying to cast the poster as stupid/dumb/overly dictitorial etc.

The poster did not say one could not question the rules, the poster said one should not expect to be allowed to complain/whine about the rules. That construct does not convey information or dialogue that might be the basis for change in the rules. That construct almost always is more geared to demean and vilify the providers of the public service.

NO there is no justification to allow posters to present ONE SIDE of a scenario. It is NOT stratics policy that prohibits GM's for getting into a VERBAL FLAMEFEST with some angry subscriber, that will ONLY MAKE THAT SUBSCRIBER MORE ANGRY. That is EA/Mythics policy and has always been their policy. That same policy is pretty much universal through out the MMORPG's.

The ability to state ones case without using names is far more than sufficient to achieve ones goals.

On the restaurant issue. If a customer is complaining about the quality of service by yelling at the top of their lungs, "You stupid Mother Fing, Racial Slure, and lets add in some 25 other abuses that tend to be socialy intolerable" ( all in the vein of your extreme exaggeration )

Yes I am going to take it to that customer and say get out of here as YOU have not right to destroy my dining experience. I take it (in your vein of extreme exaggeration), you would defend the customers right and applaud them abusing the establishment by the use of extreme profanity and other socialy unacceptable abusive statements.

The quote "People should not fear their government. Government should fear the people."

Now name the source of the quote ( the above is a statement I agree nothing should be above questioning. Questioning should NOT be confused with mindless, pointless, whining complaints )

D

Devil_Woman

The original post in question was a perfectly reasonable description of the actions of an employee of a company the poster was paying for a service. He was not accusing anyone of crimes or moral atrocities. This was not slander or libel. Why should he not be able to name the employee in question? It's not even their real name, but a character name they chose for their identity in a video game!

The idea that corporations should be able to set up "Constitution Free Zones" is one I summarily reject. The fact that the sheeple of our country have allowed their rights to be eroded will in no way deter me from pushing back whenever I hear the kind of rhetoric that encourages people to be docile and compliant.

You know the type - you can spot them sucking up to the perceived authority figures in almost any given context. Glad we don't have any of them here.
Glad we also don't have anyone who is unable to tell the difference between being a customer of a business enterprise and being a guest in someone's private domain. rolleyes:

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have had GMs in the past re-deed items at idocs, usually vet rewards. They would simply show up deed the item and randomly drop it in a chest or on the ground so the players at the idoc would have a random chance of grabbing it. But in the past year the couple times I asked they have deleted the item instead so I just gave up on asking.

G

galefan2004

Because 9 times out of 10 stratics tends to side with the gaming company instead of the actual players that play the game. Before these became the "unofficial UO forums" stratics erred much more on the side of the player than they do now.

If a gm sucks then report it. You really don't need to post their name here, but I understand your frustration.

G

galefan2004

Stratics Rules of Conduct:
C. Personal attacks are prohibited.This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way.

Remove the name and then it wouldn't be a problem to discuss your situation. ;)
That is such a creative interpretation to apply it to naming gms. Naming a gm based on EVIDENCE of wrong doing is NOT a personal attack under any legal system. In the United States legal system if you call someone a liar and you can't prove they lied about anything then it is slander, but if you call them a liar because you can prove they have lied about something, then its perfectly legal.

G

galefan2004

NO there is no justification to allow posters to present ONE SIDE of a scenario. It is NOT stratics policy that prohibits GM's for getting into a VERBAL FLAMEFEST with some angry subscriber, that will ONLY MAKE THAT SUBSCRIBER MORE ANGRY. That is EA/Mythics policy and has always been their policy. That same policy is pretty much universal through out the MMORPG's.
Stratics is NOT an EA site. It is not affiliate with EA. Sometimes, Stratics forgets that it is a player site and is supported by players.

On the restaurant issue. If a customer is complaining about the quality of service by yelling at the top of their lungs, "You stupid Mother Fing, Racial Slure, and lets add in some 25 other abuses that tend to be socialy intolerable" ( all in the vein of your extreme exaggeration )
Didn't I just read where you claimed this poster over exagerated? You completely surpassed that. Saying that someone is not very good at their job, and calling them out by name while doing so is MUCH different then what you just described.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stratics is NOT an EA site. It is not affiliate with EA. Sometimes, Stratics forgets that it is a player site and is supported by players.

Didn't I just read where you claimed this poster over exagerated? You completely surpassed that. Saying that someone is not very good at their job, and calling them out by name while doing so is MUCH different then what you just described.
Yes, I thought I had made it very clear I was demonstrating the tactic. Or said more simply it was simply a demonstration of what the poster did.

As to the GM Posting. yes Stratics is a NON EA site. BUT if it is closely associated with EA, then what kind of sense does it make to have a policy allowing a Class of people (EA employees) to be attacked. have lies told, stories made up (none of that is saying the OP did any of this, it is stating the rational for Stratics Policy) when NO member of that class can reply, rebutt or discuss the issue?

I say again, the ability to state the scenario, sans the Name (i.e. Depersonalizing the depiction) is a good compromise that simply works and is inherently the defacto policy of most Message Boards I have frequented.

T

Tom Bombadil

I suggest that no EA/Mythic employee name be mentioned on Stratics, whether in praise or rebuke, and violators of said rule shall be terminated with extreme prejudice.

A

AesSedai

That is such a creative interpretation to apply it to naming gms. Naming a gm based on EVIDENCE of wrong doing is NOT a personal attack under any legal system. In the United States legal system if you call someone a liar and you can't prove they lied about anything then it is slander, but if you call them a liar because you can prove they have lied about something, then its perfectly legal.
- I admire your interpretation of: creativity

Stratics is not the United States (hint: they don't have the same rules).

Proving something by-way of saying it happened in a post on Stratics, is NOT EVIDENCE of wrongdoing.
Can you prove the GM lied to the OP? Can you prove that the OP was 100% correct in what he said in his post (no offense OP; it is all subjective at this point)?
So, can you consider it perfectly legal, 'in the United States' (let's forget that we are observing Stratics' rules for a moment)?

:pancakes: