• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Giving thieves the love they deserve

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
According to the team (Kyronix/Mesanna) - thieves will be important and part of new legacy.

First off - they confirmed that there will be some protection for players, but insurance won’t behave the same as production - curious on how that will impact stealing...

What would you like to see?

Not going to give away all my thoughts yet on the discussion - but one thing that would go well with this system since we are “forging a new legacy” is some way to recognize the top thieves on the shard for the efforts.

The other obvious one is more items to steak beyond those at a champ spawn if insurance to some degree is still a thing.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sometimes, I almost prefer to be forgotten. There's a few neat things that come from the devs never considering that there are still thieves but I can't go into detail here. If you haven't yet read my suggestions on improving stealing, they can be seen here:

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Sometimes, I almost prefer to be forgotten. There's a few neat things that come from the devs never considering that there are still thieves but I can't go into detail here. If you haven't yet read my suggestions on improving stealing, they can be seen here:
I’ll check out these gems. :)

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
@Stinky Pete

Agreed with your suggestions.

Weight or item count of a player’s bag should potentially be a factor for snooping (more items, harder to snoop).

Guard whacking was always dumb. Way better to just have a “permagrey” for your victim and temporary grey for everyone else. That allows justice to be served by the player which would be even more gratifying. Just means that you shouldn’t be sitting around bank sitting. ;)

Curious what they will do with insurance in the sense that it will be different.

I don't really understand why they are considering even putting in a feature that 'prevents the loss of items'

I feel personally that losing items is a vital part of the classic experience as you should be constantly needing to replace weapons and armor whether they just break, get looted or stolen. I get that disconnecting in the middle of a dungeon and losing all your stuff sucks but thats why people play blacksmiths so you can go to the smith and purchase a new set or armor and weapons.

It sounds like PvP is going to be mostly Opt-In anyways so there is way less risk to even die on a new legacy shard then ever before so item loss will already be way down why do anything that would even further minimize the loss of items.

I hope they reconsider the insurance thing they were talking about and scrap that.

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I don't really understand why they are considering even putting in a feature that 'prevents the loss of items'

I feel personally that losing items is a vital part of the classic experience as you should be constantly needing to replace weapons and armor whether they just break, get looted or stolen. I get that disconnecting in the middle of a dungeon and losing all your stuff sucks but thats why people play blacksmiths so you can go to the smith and purchase a new set or armor and weapons.

It sounds like PvP is going to be mostly Opt-In anyways so there is way less risk to even die on a new legacy shard then ever before so item loss will already be way down why do anything that would even further minimize the loss of items.

I hope they reconsider the insurance thing they were talking about and scrap that.
I don’t disagree - I think they need to be careful with whatever they are considering. I made it very clear that if they want to go the route of having the true original UO feel with new legacy - they should abolish it.

However - they have something in mind - let’s hope it’s good. If it isn’t - well - I’ll try to convince them that it’s a bad idea...along with others that will likely feel the same way.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
they our basically grasping at straws to get ppl to play it much less new players i still have lil hope for the classic parts of the game id say anything is better then nothing at this point for theif. This still is a positive for you just will you get anything really meaningful doubt it... back to original question i personally would like theft in town without guard wacks.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
They'd sung the "Give the Thieves some Love" song a number of times over the years, and it's always been adding stealable arties and deco. It may be different with the New Legacy server, but I wouldn't count on them ripping out a majority of the systems that are in place. Insurance may be tweaked, but you better count on a post AoS experience for the most part.

Booky

Visitor
Thieves still rock as they are, no idea why ppl are complaining, take Stinky Pete too wrong and get him some soap.