• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Giant Beetle Build for Treasure Hunting

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm building up a new beetle and adding 120 wrestling to it this time. I'm also going to add a 110 Tactics / Anatomy / Wrestling / Focus to it.

How would you train this beetle? My treasure hunter is dropping med to pick up remove trap, so I'm a little concerned that Consume Damage will run out, so maybe some HP regen is needed. I've already maxed out out hit points and resists. Then add Armor Ignore / Rune Corruption and ???.

I have vet and can heal. No beetle can withstand a Trove onslaught, so I'll be leading the mobs off 1 by 1, though I may have an initial 3-4 the beetle will have to fight. Sometimes there's a Cold Drake that will keep me from getting close to vet. After that, though, each mob will be 1 on 1 and the beetle should have time to regen for the next fight.

How would you tune a giant beetle for treasure hunting?

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your beetle will be able to handle all maps just fine. Nothing wrong with leading one mob away at the time if to many real badies spawn.
One of themost popular builds seems to be AI, Runecorruption and poison.

just lead one or a few to the side and heal your pet from range with greater heals. If you drop meditation you can change your suit to a studded suite for 55 LMC. Ontop of that try and gather as much MR as you can and MI/Int.
I think you should be just fine.

You will however not be able to run mastery forever so be smart about it.

// ZidjiN

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, you might not want to be too passive in controlling the pet.

Certain chest spawns need to be targeted first, as the wrong combinations of spawn can sometimes overwhelm the best pet.

In Ter Mur, Maddening Horrors can really mess a pet up on a cache map, if not dealt with swiftly.
On the other hand, Ogre Lords elsewhere do massive damage on Supply and cache, BUT the real danger is ignoring the liches & lich lords while your pet fixates on an OL. Once everything is attacking the beetle, switch the beetle manually to the liches, then to the other caster spawn (many of whom die in 1 or 2 hits), before doing the OL last, as all they do is physical (perfect for consume) and you can walk up and vet at your leisure since you're no longer dealing with area attacks.

For Hoard and Trove maps, again, the idea is to get rid of sources of AoE attacks first (especially necro casters), then you can walk up and vet (or stand back and cast GH/CW) safely. It really makes one appreciate that they never gave most demon and dragon types AoE, though you have to be wary of it switching targets if it detects you moving.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Dang, I just added poisoning and a 120 Wrestling scroll last night.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
no worries you didn't ruin it that way. You'll still be able to solo most content with that beast

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Mine have poisoning also. I haven’t seen a decline in RC uptime with it. I think I also remember reading that it doesn’t use mana either.