• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Giant Beetle and Poisoning, Worth it?

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have my beetle up with 1500 points going from level 4 to 5...

I plan on Armor Ignore, Mortal Strike, Rune Corruption..

As I have read up on poisoning, the beetle won't go over GM, so really all the poison would do is prevent the monster from healing, which is what mortal strike does.

Now I understand that poisoning doesn't use mana(so I believe), but at 500 points...I could use to max out mana, hp's, and drop 120's on most of my skills...

Right now I am leaning on skipping poisoning. Is there something with this skill I don't understand?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I have my beetle up with 1500 points going from level 4 to 5...

I plan on Armor Ignore, Mortal Strike, Rune Corruption..

As I have read up on poisoning, the beetle won't go over GM, so really all the poison would do is prevent the monster from healing, which is what mortal strike does.

Now I understand that poisoning doesn't use mana(so I believe), but at 500 points...I could use to max out mana, hp's, and drop 120's on most of my skills...

Right now I am leaning on skipping poisoning. Is there something with this skill I don't understand?
You actually need 620 for all 120 PS in the skills, not counting the magic..

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good evening, There is another bonus to poison as well.. besides being free damage and stopping healing... It also puts monsters in defensive UI. which means instead of using their mana to hammer your pet constantly they are curing and trying to heal more.. so in a way poison on these pets can be considered a defensive bonus as well.. Hope this helps.. =^-^=

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Good evening, There is another bonus to poison as well.. besides being free damage and stopping healing... It also puts monsters in defensive UI. which means instead of using their mana to hammer your pet constantly they are curing and trying to heal more.. so in a way poison on these pets can be considered a defensive bonus as well.. Hope this helps.. =^-^=
Good strategic point..as always appreciated. Thank you Don. By the way what level is GM posoning? 5? And if so is it considered deadly poison? thanks..

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I thought poisoning cost 101 points, or was there a recent stealth patch that changed the cost to 501 points?

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
good evening,Cel...On monsters that were not born with some poison skill ( like the beetles) the poison will never go above stardard poison,( lvl 2 poison), even at GM lvls.. but the proc rate increases on these pets the closer to Gm they are.. For pets that are born with poison codeing turning it on the proc can reach lethal status (we have been hopeing since pub 97 landed they would change it so all pets could reach lethal )..To answer the next post when the system first landed poison skill only costed 1 point to add.. they later changed this to 100 points which is where it remains to this day.. well hope this helps ..should ya have anymore questions feel free to ask.. =^-^=

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
To me, not adding poison is a waste - even at level 1 or 2 poison, the benefit for the 100 points spent far outweighs the 33 HP or 200 mana that the points would otherwise go for (after scrolling everything up).

Suetonious

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Honestly, ive been thinking of going slashing instead. It sucks that its 500 points but you can put rune corruption and goo. you can get ai and defensive bush by adding slashing after...plus it gives disarm...which would help in pvp if and when the time comes. My only concern, as i have not made this build yet, is mana. Having goo,rune corruption, nerve strike, ai and disarm seems like a lot of stuff to eat up mana. Im gonna give it a try tomorrow. Ill let you know how it goes.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
rune corruption and goo. you can get ai and defensive bush by adding slashing after.
Id like to see that lore screen.

Did they change giant beetles? We could put Goo on them for about a week, then that went away. Also when you added any ability the magic choice was only poison.

I'd make a new giant Beetle if it could have Goo, RC and AI.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Honestly, ive been thinking of going slashing instead. It sucks that its 500 points but you can put rune corruption and goo. you can get ai and defensive bush by adding slashing after...plus it gives disarm...which would help in pvp if and when the time comes. My only concern, as i have not made this build yet, is mana. Having goo,rune corruption, nerve strike, ai and disarm seems like a lot of stuff to eat up mana. Im gonna give it a try tomorrow. Ill let you know how it goes.
Try it on TC1 first, as usually..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
good evening,Cel...On monsters that were not born with some poison skill ( like the beetles) the poison will never go above stardard poison,( lvl 2 poison), even at GM lvls.. but the proc rate increases on these pets the closer to Gm they are.. For pets that are born with poison codeing turning it on the proc can reach lethal status (we have been hopeing since pub 97 landed they would change it so all pets could reach lethal )..To answer the next post when the system first landed poison skill only costed 1 point to add.. they later changed this to 100 points which is where it remains to this day.. well hope this helps ..should ya have anymore questions feel free to ask.. =^-^=
Thanks Donovon..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Slashing now give defensive Bushi? I thought that was not clear. If so what are the defensive moves it gives? Confidence? (That would be awesome since hp regen is insane with this..), any other def moves?
Also Frenzied WW is a ninja special, that has both 1x1 efficacy and AoE :nice. But does pet with Fzww go to stealth mode? Any other ninja moves with FzWW? thanks for info..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Slashing now give defensive Bushi?
Only Tokuno pets can get Bushido or Ninjitsu spells. Fire beetles are not considered Tokuno pets.

And Slashing has Nerve Strike. Nerve Strike relies on the Bushido value. That's why it get Bushido.

Also that poster will find out that if you add Slashing, you can only add searing wounds. RC is not a choice anymore because slashing uses up a magic and 3 abilities.

Also they will find that if you add any moves, only poison is left in the Magic choices.

@celticus use test center for your build practice. Not visiting posters who have yet to build that particular pet in any form.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Only Tokuno pets can get Bushido or Ninjitsu spells. Fire beetles are not considered Tokuno pets.

And Slashing has Nerve Strike. Nerve Strike relies on the Bushido value. That's why it get Bushido.

Also that poster will find out that if you add Slashing, you can only add searing wounds. RC is not a choice anymore because slashing uses up a magic and 3 abilities.

Also they will find that if you add any moves, only poison is left in the Magic choices.

@celticus use test center for your build practice. Not visiting posters who have yet to build that particular pet in any form.
Thanks.. will do..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks.. will do..
I updated my Giant Beetle thread. A Giant Beetle

I only took two to TC and did some stupid choices like trying to get Goo, RC and Slashing, so I could not test everything.

If anyone sees a problem with the new stuff, let me know so I can edit.

Suetonious

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ugh, sorry for the bad info. I saw a tsuki with venomous bite, poison breath aoe and slashing. I assumed it was a universal trend....guess not.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh, it wasn't a tsuki it was a naja.
Yup Najs have natural poisoning. They make good poison pets. But I dont know about the slashing and poison on them.

The big cats can get the wrestling type magics.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I updated my Giant Beetle thread. A Giant Beetle

I only took two to TC and did some stupid choices like trying to get Goo, RC and Slashing, so I could not test everything.

If anyone sees a problem with the new stuff, let me know so I can edit.
Do you know what the differences are between Giant Beetle and Fire Beetle? I'm not sure which one to pick. Mainly need it for Rune Corruption. Seems like Fire damage > Physical in PvM, yet I see more posts about Giant Beetles.

If I want it to have Bushido, do I need to pick Giant Beetle or can I give the Fire Beetle Bushido as well?

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Do you know what the differences are between Giant Beetle and Fire Beetle? I'm not sure which one to pick. Mainly need it for Rune Corruption. Seems like Fire damage > Physical in PvM, yet I see more posts about Giant Beetles.
Giant beetles have the added utility of being a loot hauling machine.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I want it to have Bushido, do I need to pick Giant Beetle or can I give the Fire Beetle Bushido as well?
They are not tokuno pets. They do not get bushido skills. Just the attack that costs you 600 points to add.

AI, and Rune corruption will kill stuff faster.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Ugh, sorry for the bad info. I saw a tsuki with venomous bite, poison breath aoe and slashing. I assumed it was a universal trend....guess not.
Yup..You saw right. It was a Naja..Before the last pub, during pet revamp, you COULD add slashing to Naja, and also ven. bite and also poison breath. But the devs removed the slashing from the Najas I believe 1-2 months back, so it cannot be done again. But I have a Naja like that. It will be a rare Naja. Does both AoEs, with lethal poison, and also the shashig stuff (AI, etc). Shashing adds bushido, and its bushi now is I think 55 and raising veeerryyy sloowwwly. He does ok with spawns, but dies with the harder hitting mobs. He is NOT scrolled. He was an experiment..He shill has 400+ points on him. I might sell him one day as a rare pet..