• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Giant and Fire Beetle point allocation from start to end

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
What shard u on?

Look at the lore screens of what you fight. Very few things do cold or poison damage. All my Cus have cold resist, so I choose poison for everything else. I do the Huntsmaster challenges in Eodon every month so I fight things that do poison damage. We do Dreadhorn a lot also.

But, you can set resists how you want. You could use 110 scrolls and make one like mine and make another with 80 cold resist.

You put scrolls in your backpack and choose them in the increase skill caps section. There is a scroll clicky on TC. You should practice it there first. Also there are gates that make the pet advance from level to level.
Atlantic... makes sense thx for the explanation

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
@Pawain Well ruined first one u sure those instructions still apply cus I don't think I did anything off but my HP ended up being way high 990 from step3 when I got to scrolls I just started putting on what I had in 115s and I got resist med anat and parry then went to do tact and I can only put 105 on with 54 points left... guess what do I do now trash it?
I think u may have added some of your scrolls in step 3... only way this would have had enough points cus I wasted about 420 som points ther on hp well comparing to yours...

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain Well ruined first one u sure those instructions still apply cus I don't think I did anything off but my HP ended up being way high 990 from step3 when I got to scrolls I just started putting on what I had in 115s and I got resist med anat and parry then went to do tact and I can only put 105 on with 54 points left... guess what do I do now trash it?
I think u may have added some of your scrolls in step 3... only way this would have had enough points cus I wasted about 420 som points ther on hp well comparing to yours...
A Fire Beetle starts at 150 Str. In the first two training sessions you will put only a few points in strength if you do everything else.
So, in training 3 lets say the str was 300. It would take 1140 points to set the str to maximum. That leaves only around 360 points for HP. So HP would only go up by 120.

Here is my guess on what happened.

Third level of training: (3 to 4 slot)

1. Get the Strength to Maximum
2. Rest in HP

You set the HP first to max. Then you set the Str after that. You have to go in order. 990HP would be the cap for that section.

Then in the last round, you set the Str to Maximum, so that used up a lot of points.
You have 1501 points in the last round.

Last level of training: (4 to 5 slot)

1. Max the Base damage per second.

Have to go in order for specials: Otherwise you can not get them all. So decide what you want.

2. Add an area if you want one. (Goo) Only on Fire Beetle
3. Add Armor Ignore (fire beetle can get another special move)
4. Add Rune Corruption
5. Can Add poison if you like

6. Add the scrolls you want. Put at least 105s on it. May have to get Wrestling to 100 before Parry is a choice.

7. If you did all the above, you can add more HP.

Out of 1501 points,
The max damage may take 45.
AI takes 100
RC takes 100

So, you have 1250+ points to spend.

120 scrolls on a beetle only cost 500 points.

You should have had 756 spare points for scrolls.

Its just numbers, I would bet that you set the HP in round 3 before you set the Str.

I told you to go to TC and build it there first so you could practice. The gates are in Brit commons.

Second option, you put on FWW in the last round. that cost 500 points.

I would have to see pics of the lore screens to see if you did the first 2 rounds correctly. But, no matter what, the last round has 1501 points and my steps only use 250 of those points.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Get a new beetle stick it in your stable and copy yourself to Test Center.
The advancement gate is on TC in Brit commons. You push the blue button and walk the pet thru it. Put on the things in the order of the guide. Repeat for each level. There is even a scroll tree there to get a bag of scrolls. Have to put the ones use use in your backpack.

You will find that the pet training has not changed at all in the 3 years it has been out.

1600105107385.png

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
@Pawain yea I will give it a shot. I was sure I didn't do anything out of order but its makes more sense for me to F it up then to go against 3 yrs of taming knowledge lol ty I will be more careful and try tc this time around first... forgive me I was a lil ticked atm and so some word vomit came out... thanks for all your help!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain yea I will give it a shot. I was sure I didn't do anything out of order but its makes more sense for me to F it up then to go against 3 yrs of taming knowledge lol ty I will be more careful and try tc this time around first... forgive me I was a lil ticked atm and so some word vomit came out... thanks for all your help!
lol. NP. Some people mess up Pre Patch pets. At least you are learning on something you can go to the area and bring out 5 new ones.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
im new fyi old school bak playin fyi how I make them eat scrolls lol
There are areas in the training window where it mentions magical skills and combat skills - you go into those, choose the skill, and the scroll you want it to use. The scroll is used from within your backpack, when you confirm.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
@Pawain sry keep bugging ya... when I did on tc I tried to copy your exact build but at end I have 839hp to your 853hp and 506mana to your 508mana there a reason for this from what I knew the only diff in fb's was there fire resist 70 being low 75 high the one I have is 75 if this matters. im just curious I mean this not a deal breaker...

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
My guess is that you didnt train dex and stamina up to 125 by using your pet and by that lost some training points.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
what u mean @Chrille ? this before u start any the other training? it only has 55stam and 55dex this can go up to 125? or which one can im confused...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain sry keep bugging ya... when I did on tc I tried to copy your exact build but at end I have 839hp to your 853hp and 506mana to your 508mana there a reason for this from what I knew the only diff in fb's was there fire resist 70 being low 75 high the one I have is 75 if this matters. im just curious I mean this not a deal breaker...
My mana is a result of having an extra point at the end of each round. So had to put it in Mana. Beetles can have a small difference in starting resists. Also like Chrille said, you had to spend a few points on increasing the Stam and Dex from 55.

So on your home shard, fight some easy things like slugs in the underworld entry to get the Stam and Dex to 125.

But if thats the only difference then you did great!

Once you have a new beetle ready, you could post the start stats and end look of each round. That would help other new and returning players.

Beetles are not exact clones, so they and all pets will have a few differences here and there.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
@Pawain I get the extra mana and I did same which why I was close to there but I totally had no clue I could get stam/dex up to 125. Am I saving points to by having fire resist at 75 high instead of 70 low to right? I already am going through start so wouldn't be a good post but if ya want to make your post idiot proof for noobs/returning(me) players u could add those to start of your original post I have no idea and some these lil things that seem so normal and basic to some... ex. I got my first mastery book and bought the mastery primer ate it but it would never work (went a month pissed) everyone was like I don't know what u doing wrong... so I uoguide it and behold u click on book and select the mastery you using lol that was luckily solved by uoguide but a lot things aren't or there is just to much info to go through. that was just bad case of me not putting my foot forward and relying on others. just sayin.... thank you still for all your help.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
I don't mean any offense either maybe I should be looking at a just taming 101 thread before I skip to here. any recommendations?

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't mean any offense either maybe I should be looking at a just taming 101 thread before I skip to here...
You asked questions with a good attitude. I can be mean to posters that are not here to learn.
You want to use all the resistance points. You can set them however, but use them all. You will find that beetles are one of the higher HP tamable pets that start at low slots.

A lot has changed in UO. The taming revamp was a really nice addition. It is overwhelming to many, and many are afraid to ask questions.

If you have questions just start a new thread and ask away. You don't have to try to fit it into a current thread.

Get all of these pets below and start a thread when you are ready to make them: We can direct you to a guide or help you decide the best build for what you want to kill with them.

Cu Sidhe Find a nice color
Lesser Hiryu Find a nice color
Triton Requires High Seas
Najasaurus 2 slot
Reptalon 2 slot
Giant Beetle

Those will give you some nice damage coverage and a few different builds.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
@Pawain glad u so nice and forgiving about it even I felt like idiot when I read back on questioning your post(made me think of a signature lol). I will try to do better in the future. I still don't know though on resist though, so does it matter that I tame a 75 resist fb instead of the 70 is that saving me points? I read a lot ppl look at initial stats before taming but only thing I can find that differs on fb is 70-75 fire resist should I care? I mean I understand ther more pets out ther and I have already blown up this thread lol but just for fb should I care? I will be all over u whenever I do cu LMAO! sure your looking forward to it ;)

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
this wasn't time I was supposed to get out this thread with a nudge was it? gahhh slow on uptake =\

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
this wasn't time I was supposed to get out this thread with a nudge was it? gahhh slow on uptake =\
Nothing wrong with finding a pet with the highest starting stats. Its just this specific pet has few differences. So, 5 points already there is fine, since that is the only difference in these bugs.
But that is only 5HP more when done.

Get the basics down and look at the stats of your next pet type. All those pets I listed above are good no matter where they start. The Triton is one that can have more build choices if it starts really high.

Nothing wrong with culling and finding the best starting stats. :thumbup1:

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
@Pawain I don't want to kick this dead horse anymore then this last time but I have a question... it may not be an obvious thing to me, but FireBeetle has 70-75 fire resist do I save points if I get the 75 resist fire as tamed to one that is 70? yes im going over board on lil to no meaning but I need to fill that gap in know how... I re read your post never mind being stupid again =( so its pointless other then going for best the best by 5 hp

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain I don't want to kick this dead horse anymore then this last time but I have a question... it may not be an obvious thing to me, but FireBeetle has 70-75 fire resist do I save points if I get the 75 resist fire as tamed to one that is 70? yes im going over board on lil to no meaning but I need to fill that gap in know how... I re read your post never mind being stupid again =( so its pointless other then going for best the best by 5 hp
I prefer to speak in generalities. But for Bugs.

Yes that would save the 15 training points. But for other pets almost all stats can be in a range. So, you have to look at the values you want and find a pet that matches. You have to know what each pet type maxs can be. But maybe you prefer a build that does not have 85 cold resist on a Cu.

I'm not big on killing 300 pets to get a perfect one. But, some pet types have so few points you need to use you need a good starter.

So in general the best starting pet is best, but sometimes you want specific things to be maxxed or minimum. You are moving into advanced culling.

That bug will kill stuff with or without 5 extra HP.

Last edited:

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
@Pawain copy that yea im lil out of league looking at bug but was getting general idea how it worked. I'm not going to beat up on what your ideal samp is I just need the general outline of whats going on. FYI 75 f resist fb kill maybe 10? at most ... worth it I think with nothing to do... I thought it would be crazy! nope.... Guess I will feel the pain ther one day on one of my pets I haven't seen or tamed hahaha ')

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain copy that yea im lil out of league looking at bug but was getting general idea how it worked. I'm not going to beat up on what your ideal samp is I just need the general outline of whats going on. FYI 75 f resist fb kill maybe 10? at most ... worth it I think with nothing to do... I thought it would be crazy! nope.... Guess I will feel the pain ther one day on one of my pets I haven't seen or tamed hahaha ')
5 more resist is 15 points. With would mean 5 more HP. If you want to cull them and take the ones with max fire resist that's fine. But when you build it, the resist will be 80 whether it was 70 or 75 to begin with. Since that is the only stat that is different, and it can be one of 6 values. The odds should be 1 in 6. But UO RNG can be mean.

So, getting into the habit of finding the best starting pet you can find is not a bad thing.

Giant Beetles have a 150 point spread. That's 50 HP difference but each resist has a 10 point spread, so you may never get a perfect one. An average one works just fine.

Last edited:

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
@Pawain I did spectre binders tell 100 resist at haven only got to 75 dex/stam and the under world is murder to beetle with 100hp or am I doing something wrong? any advice this is seeming harder then just the regular training... should I just for go it sense I wont lose to many points? I like to aim for the best but just like anything time is money so where should be laying my chips? FYI I liked your posts about WYU im old player and understand the feelings of ppl who stayed and the guy who offered to sell the guildstone was nice and to ask for compensation was within his right. nice of him to just say he had it so we know it wont be lost while the game gives away so many of its roots for the bigger and better that never happens...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain I did spectre binders tell 100 resist at haven only got to 75 dex/stam and the under world is murder to beetle with 100hp or am I doing something wrong? any advice this is seeming harder then just the regular training... should I just for go it sense I wont lose to many points? I like to aim for the best but just like anything time is money so where should be laying my chips? FYI I liked your posts about WYU im old player and understand the feelings of ppl who stayed and the guy who offered to sell the guildstone was nice and to ask for compensation was within his right. nice of him to just say he had it so we know it wont be lost while the game gives away so many of its roots for the bigger and better that never happens...
You can go to a Shadow ele that has 60 wrestling and tactics and increase the pets skills while you increase stam and dex. I usually just build them at whatever points they have.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Mooncres, as you noticed, Stam and dex went up while working spell resist up. If you would’ve stayed you could have taken stam and dex to 125. You can go back to NH and grab some spellbinders and let them hit your bug to do just that.
what I do when I train a bug is get skills up before I start. That includes wrestling, tactics, spell resist and parry to 100. Once I do that, then I begin the slot training process. You’ll have to do these things anyway, but it can make the first round a little less painful, as the pet gets the gains from hitting and being hit.

EchoJX

Visitor
Hey @Pawain I really appreciate the guides. Great work! My Google searches always seem to end up in your threads. Quick question - Where do you prefer to train your fresh, 1-slot pets like this Giant Beetle for example?

Thanks!!

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
@Mordha ty for the input! I had beatin @Pawain half to death with questions! haha but realize other then my own stupid mistakes messing up first one his build is completely fine if followed correctly and to fight over so lil many meager skill points on a pet that has high skill points to begin with is really only going to give u self gratification. where as the time on a lot of it is not really making you any better then the rest... no diff from having 150 hp on temp and 148. @Pawain correct me if I interpreted that wrong. I love my first own made fire beetle its just an all 115scrolled beetle but it puts a nice twist when I do Anon on roof. All thanks to this thread and his generous time taking to post and reply to us that have no idea or still might not haha me for sure.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey @Pawain I really appreciate the guides. Great work! My Google searches always seem to end up in your threads. Quick question - Where do you prefer to train your fresh, 1-slot pets like this Giant Beetle for example?

Thanks!!
I use crazed mage solo because I can discord the mage and have another guy run consume and another use heals and bandages. Bug will still die if the mage happens to do a fire combo. I have also used him with one toon, the bug dies a lot but you just have to suffer thru it for 40 mins.

I've tried a Pirate but he also kills the bug.

You can have someone tank the mage and it takes longer but eventually gets there. Also could do the same with a vortex.

That's why I advise to set the resists immediately. Then you breeze thru the rest. I have no clue why someone would not do that.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Out of curiosity, approximately how long does it take you to get from 1 slot fresh game to 5 slot?
A pet at 1 or 2 slots takes 40 min on the mage if you are alone. Then you have to kill the mage or find other targets. If you work steady and are able to use the targets you want, you can get a pet from 1 to 5 slot in 5 hours and have GM melee skills.

Last night I was on the mage and 5 other pets came in so that would slow things down.

I use the crazed mage to level pets so they do not need HP to train after first round.

First level of training: (1 to 2 slot)

1. Set Stamina to MAXIMUM
2. Set Dexterity to MAXIMUM
3. Set resists where you want them
4. I put 100 more in HP
5. Rest in Strength

Second level of Training: (2 to 3 slot)

1. Set the HP regen to Max
2. Set the Mana regen to Max
3. Set the Stam regen to 5 or 10 (I do 5)
4. Rest in Strength

2. Rest in HP

Decide what abilities you want. I recommend AI and Rune corruption
There is also a FWW build.
Fire beetles can get a second special Move

Have to go in order for specials: Otherwise you can not get them all. So decide what you want.

4. Add Rune Corruption

6. Add the scrolls you want. Put at least 105s on it. May have to get Wrestling to 100 before Parry is a choice.

8. Enjoy your new pet.
Thanks for the Post but I have a question about the Resists and I know that you had said to set them the way that you want them, but my question is if you had a fire beetle where would set your resist? any advice would be appreciated."The thing is that I don't want to mess the bug up"

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the Post but I have a question about the Resists and I know that you had said to set them the way that you want them, but my question is if you had a fire beetle where would set your resist? any advice would be appreciated."The thing is that I don't want to mess the bug up"
Look at the Lore screens of your intended targets, see what damage types they do.

Not many difficult mobs do poison or cold damage.

Since you can set 4 80s on Beetles, Many players do that. So you have Cold or Poison at 45.

Another method:
1674534612555.png

Basically one of those methods works on over 95% of the mobs in UO.

You can choose specific resists for specific things. I have a Triton built for Corgul that would die quickly to Scalis. So I have a Triton for Scalis.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Then do not allocate energy , poison and cold , try to play this way. Remember what are you killing , where do you go most .
While I in general agree with Pawan about low cold hitting mobs population, mobs who are low on fire have a lot of cold and poison damage. Like prism of light population or some undead . Rotting corpse or Mummy for example.

Look at the Lore screens of your intended targets, see what damage types they do.

Not many difficult mobs do poison or cold damage.

Since you can set 4 80s on Beetles, Many players do that. So you have Cold or Poison at 45.

Another method:
View attachment 139637

Basically one of those methods works on over 95% of the mobs in UO.

You can choose specific resists for specific things. I have a Triton built for Corgul that would die quickly to Scalis. So I have a Triton forThank you for your fast reply I really appreciate it.

T

Then do not allocate energy , poison and cold , try to play this way. Remember what are you killing , where do you go most .
While I in general agree with Pawan about low cold hitting mobs population, mobs who are low on fire have a lot of cold and poison damage. Like prism of light population or some undead . Rotting corpse or Mummy for example.
Thank you gwen for your input on the beetle, I really appreciated also.

I use the crazed mage to level pets so they do not need HP to train after first round.

4. I put 100 more in HP
5. Rest in Strength

4. Rest in Strength

2. Rest in HP

4. Add Rune Corruption

8. Enjoy yoHi Pawain I have a

4. I put 100 more in HP
5. Rest in Strength

4. Rest in Strength

2. Rest in HP

4. Add Rune Corruption

8. Enjoy your new pet.
I was just wondering what scrolls would you suggest putting on the fire bettle at step#6?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They need the basic pet scrolls. Anatomy, tactics, wrestling, meditation, focus, and resist.

110 of those is between 10 and 15 million for the set.

The only other would be of you put FWW on a fire beetle.

They say the higher wrestling you can get, the better.

But 105s work on beetles. There's a lot of NOOBS on LS that I helped make beetles for when they returned, that have been using for years.