• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Getting into crafting

Hi,

I’ve got a crafter skilled up, and I made my first suit. :) just a basic 100% LRC max resists leather suit.

On reflection I don’t think it was worth all the imbuing ingredients to get the resists up to max. Can I pick your very experienced brains, please? What’s a more cost effective way to build such a simple suit whilst I’m learning ing the ropes?

I’m guessing that if I used barbed leather that would be better on imbuing ingredients as it should come with the most stats of any leather type.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The value of stuff in game depends on what you like to do. If you like to do crafting it will seem more worthwhile but part of crafting is collecting the items to use in crafting. The economy here is crazy but you can buy the items or buy the end products from someone who wants to make them or figure out how to acquire what you need for crafting. Whatever is more fun for you. There are crafting guides at the top of this page. It all takes a while to get used to it. I am not used to it myself because I have to acquire the items to do crafting and it takes me a while but I enjoy that process. Typically when I make something I will forget to do some step and mess it up but for my purposes it still works out okay. I don't need to be the elite top player with the best gear and characters I just enjoy the process. For 100% lower reagents I save up items that have 20% or more on them then alter them for resists and other attributes. You need to take in mind the effect of enhancing with a material but you may lose the item unless you use the forged metal of artifacts which allows you to tack on the properties of any material as the last step without risking destroying it. This is what I do as opposed to making it with the material like horned leather or whatever properties I want. I just make it with plain leather an then enhance with horned or whatever. People better at everything can explain it better. Again I just enjoy the process. I think others can explain how they acquire the items they use for crafting and how to make the best stuff. Why don't you mention what crafting ingredients you want to acquire easier and maybe others can explain how they acquire those items. I have not your typical characters and not one character who only does crafting as many do. So my tailor is also a tamer and a mage and I have other skills I add on for crafting if needed stored on a soul stone I am probably not the one you want to take advice from but maybe my response will get the real experts to speak up.

Thank you. :)
The value of stuff in game depends on what you like to do. If you like to do crafting it will seem more worthwhile but part of crafting is collecting the items to use in crafting. The economy here is crazy but you can buy the items or buy the end products from someone who wants to make them or figure out how to acquire what you need for crafting. Whatever is more fun for you. There are crafting guides at the top of this page. It all takes a while to get used to it. I am not used to it myself because I have to acquire the items to do crafting and it takes me a while but I enjoy that process. Typically when I make something I will forget to do some step and mess it up but for my purposes it still works out okay. I don't need to be the elite top player with the best gear and characters I just enjoy the process. For 100% lower reagents I save up items that have 20% or more on them then alter them for resists and other attributes. You need to take in mind the effect of enhancing with a material but you may lose the item unless you use the forged metal of artifacts which allows you to tack on the properties of any material as the last step without risking destroying it. This is what I do as opposed to making it with the material like horned leather or whatever properties I want. I just make it with plain leather an then enhance with horned or whatever. People better at everything can explain it better. Again I just enjoy the process. I think others can explain how they acquire the items they use for crafting and how to make the best stuff. Why don't you mention what crafting ingredients you want to acquire easier and maybe others can explain how they acquire those items. I have not your typical characters and not one character who only does crafting as many do. So my tailor is also a tamer and a mage and I have other skills I add on for crafting if needed stored on a soul stone I am probably not the one you want to take advice from but maybe my response will get the real experts to speak up.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find one armor piece that has high resists and build around that. That makes it easy to get 70s resists without using imbue spots.

I reforge instead of imbue armor pieces. I imbue jewelry and weapons.

One of my archers has Britches or Warding, (I use those on all my dexxers) and Prismatic lens. The other pieces are crafted. (reforged, not imbued)

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose there won't be many who do the bods that require large gems or other items that will be expensive or time consuming to get relative to the reward. I am currently doing the heartwood quests for runic fletching tools while I slowly build up bow crafting bods that aren't for elven weapons. The heartwood quests are a bit of a chore but I take the items acquired and use them for cleanup value. I can tolerate doing 1000 or 2000 wood at a time. It's vegetative relaxation but you never know what you will get as a reward so I stay hopeful I'll get something useful and once in a while I do.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One of the things I like about the Heartwood bowyer quests is you can train your bowyer/fletcher all the way from purchase to GM making the stuff for the quests. There's really no other skill like that, at least with that level of efficiency (there's gaps of slow gains in every other crafting skill that don't have a corresponding Heartwood quest).