• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Generic Starter Template For Cu like pets.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Replaced with This:

Last edited:

Night

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it's probably worth mentioning that you can also make a very effective 4 slot Cu with just one round of training if mobility is important. Alternatively 4 slot Cu tanking plus 1 slot lesser Hiryu for extra dps is not bad.

I like all the new potential options and combinations , just training everything up to 5 or max slots isn't always necessary.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Formulas and my testing - each 400 int gives 1 mana regen per second. Int is cheap and my setup is 700 int, 150 dex, and rest 645 str for caster pets

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i dont bother putting HPR on pets anymore, i dont find it does enough to make it worth the heaviness of the point value.
i DO put on SR though, more stamina regen = no decrease in swing speed of the pet = hit faster = win faster!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
i dont bother putting HPR on pets anymore, i dont find it does enough to make it worth the heaviness of the point value.
i DO put on SR though, more stamina regen = no decrease in swing speed of the pet = hit faster = win faster!
The only thing I would add to this is if the tamer has SW. The 20-30 HPR along with Gift of Renewal makes a fairly large difference.

Night

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you noticed Stam going down on any pet yet as they fight?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If you have Healing at 100+ ... are using Consume Damage Mastery... and you have either Chivalry or Spellweaving (so that it can heal itself with Close Wounds / Gift of Renewal)... HPR does not need to exceed 15-20.

Don't forget... Intelligence also affects SDI, although not so much noticeable until reaching higher levels. It's not necessarily crucial, but it's cheap enough to raise that you shouldn't ignore it completely either IMHO.

The question I would ask other experienced pet trainers here (regarding Cu's): are you putting anything other than Armor Ignore on them for the special move/ability? My two fully trained Cu's have Chiv/AI and Spellweaving/AI, and I was in process of working on a Cu with Disco next, but was hoping to maybe mix it up from AI if there was another viable move/ability people could vouch for.

Night

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frenzied Whirlwind is epic fun on any pet and I also really like Bladeweave for its variety. I prefer both to AI.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'd rather have an overpowered tank than a damage sponge with high HP.
Regen is cheap, HP are not. It's pretty basic math here: I can run a pet with max regen and consume, maybe something like Life Steal and Chivalry/Spellweaving (or both) for insane amounts of selfheal for less points than it costs to pump it up to 700+ HP.
With no means to keep the HP up, a big buffer doesn't do anything for you, since you have to heal it up externally.

This also depends a bit on the character I play. I can vet while running consume on my normal Tamer, while my Archer Tamer needs a ridable pet with enough staying power and Disco.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd rather have an overpowered tank than a damage sponge with high HP.
Regen is cheap, HP are not. It's pretty basic math here: I can run a pet with max regen and consume, maybe something like Life Steal and Chivalry/Spellweaving (or both) for insane amounts of selfheal for less points than it costs to pump it up to 700+ HP.
With no means to keep the HP up, a big buffer doesn't do anything for you, since you have to heal it up externally.

This also depends a bit on the character I play. I can vet while running consume on my normal Tamer, while my Archer Tamer needs a ridable pet with enough staying power and Disco.
I tend to agree. Some of my pets are just 500HP and do just fine. One place where high HP does help is AoE pets. I like to run them into the thickest crowd and let them do their thing. Trying to heal them in such situation or using Consume damage is generally not healthy. Even the strongest tanking pets cannot keep the HP up in the thick of nasty mobs. So high HP often makes the difference between your pet AoEing everything and surviving, or dying after taking everything around to 20% health.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If you have Healing at 100+ ... are using Consume Damage Mastery... and you have either Chivalry or Spellweaving (so that it can heal itself with Close Wounds / Gift of Renewal)... HPR does not need to exceed 15-20.

Don't forget... Intelligence also affects SDI, although not so much noticeable until reaching higher levels. It's not necessarily crucial, but it's cheap enough to raise that you shouldn't ignore it completely either IMHO.

The question I would ask other experienced pet trainers here (regarding Cu's): are you putting anything other than Armor Ignore on them for the special move/ability? My two fully trained Cu's have Chiv/AI and Spellweaving/AI, and I was in process of working on a Cu with Disco next, but was hoping to maybe mix it up from AI if there was another viable move/ability people could vouch for.
ive been putting poison on mine lately and then putting on Venomous Breath.
totally loving it!

i was going with Tail Swipe and or AI but ive all but stopped and gone to the Ven Breath, just something about being able to hit everything on screen with lethal poison that screams fun!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Have you noticed Stam going down on any pet yet as they fight?
constantly

im sitting with a Cu right now on Pac working on a Allosaurus and i just lored him, 139/150 stamina, and just again now (5 seconds later) 124/150

its constantly moving as they are fighting..... until you put on 20/30 SR then it stays capped all the time.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
ive been putting poison on mine lately and then putting on Venomous Breath.
totally loving it!

i was going with Tail Swipe and or AI but ive all but stopped and gone to the Ven Breath, just something about being able to hit everything on screen with lethal poison that screams fun!
I might try that on my next Dread Spider... sounds fun... and with 100% immunity to poison it's entertaining.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

I don't think there is anything that beats Armor Ignore. :)

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
constantly

im sitting with a Cu right now on Pac working on a Allosaurus and i just lored him, 139/150 stamina, and just again now (5 seconds later) 124/150

its constantly moving as they are fighting..... until you put on 20/30 SR then it stays capped all the time.
Weird, while training the three pets I have now on various creatures I've yet to see any of them drop below 145 stamina (Never remember seeing them below 148 tbh). What are you fighting against??

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
at that time when i checked it was a Allasuarus thingy

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
at that time when i checked it was a Allasuarus thingy

I only killed one of those for huntmaster. I only see stamina drop if pets life drops real low.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i think some of these uber hard hitting Dino's are like macers, they drill ya so hard they take stamina away as well as HP.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
constantly

I usually test my pets on paragon balrons.
My CU with 10 SR, never lost stam, however my runebeetle with 10 SR lost stam constantly while fighting a paragon balron.
Both pets had max dex, max stam. Cu had 700 str,and Runebeetle had 600 str.
I suspect that classes matter, EG my rune beetle has magery, my CU has AI, nothing else.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question please? I'm training my first pet since the changes, this is where the only confusion is: "Make sure you Max the Base Damage on the last upgrade session. Do that first!" The "very last" upgrade or every upgrade we have a chance to do so? Do that first? I am absolutely confused by these two sentences. It reminds me of Zen. Everything else is crystal clear and I thank you for a great guide and intro for newbs like myself. Thanks again. :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Question please? I'm training my first pet since the changes, this is where the only confusion is: "Make sure you Max the Base Damage on the last upgrade session. Do that first!" The "very last" upgrade or every upgrade we have a chance to do so? Do that first? I am absolutely confused by these two sentences. It reminds me of Zen. Everything else is crystal clear and I thank you for a great guide and intro for newbs like myself. Thanks again. :)
If you have a 2 slot and your training it to 5 wait till you are using your points at 5 slots to upgrade the Base Damage... if you do it at 3, 4 and 5 you are only wasting points... wait till you are at 5 and raise it then. But do it FIRST when you reach that final slot... as it's very important to remember.

The reasoning is at 3 it raises I believe to 18 or some such at 4 20... and at 5 Max. So if you wait till max you get max out of it.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have a 2 slot and your training it to 5 wait till you are using your points at 5 slots to upgrade the Base Damage... if you do it at 3, 4 and 5 you are only wasting points... wait till you are at 5 and raise it then. But do it FIRST when you reach that final slot... as it's very important to remember.

The reasoning is at 3 it raises I believe to 18 or some such at 4 20... and at 5 Max. So if you wait till max you get max out of it.
Thank you MalagAste :) I get it now.

I have a Cu and am on it's first round, the base mechanics were explained very well by Pawain so that has gone great but it was kind of confusing regarding base damage for last I admit.

After I look at all the specials etc I am at a total loss as to what to add that will actually work in conjunction with each other so the pet won't just spam one spell or ability constantly (or so I have read). I sort of like AI. I have no idea what would be better than AI. I wouldn't mind poisoning and discord on one. I'm not sure I even need AoE playing solo (especially on LA) as I've read that they'll continue to spam it (goo specifically) instead of some other skill. I'm reading and searching all I can to decide what to do and taking pointers from all the posts.

Thank you MalagAste and thank you for the guide Pawain. :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you MalagAste :) I get it now.

I have a Cu and am on it's first round, the base mechanics were explained very well by Pawain so that has gone great but it was kind of confusing regarding base damage for last I admit.

After I look at all the specials etc I am at a total loss as to what to add that will actually work in conjunction with each other so the pet won't just spam one spell or ability constantly (or so I have read). I sort of like AI. I have no idea what would be better than AI. I wouldn't mind poisoning and discord on one. I'm not sure I even need AoE playing solo (especially on LA) as I've read that they'll continue to spam it (goo specifically) instead of some other skill. I'm reading and searching all I can to decide what to do and taking pointers from all the posts.

Thank you MalagAste and thank you for the guide Pawain. :)
Poisoning and discord are both magics. Cant have both. I have a poisoning one and a discord one. Both work fine.

If you set up the basic template, it does not matter what abilities you choose. The Cu will kill more things than it could before the pet revamp.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poisoning and discord are both magics. Cant have both. I have a poisoning one and a discord one. Both work fine.

If you set up the basic template, it does not matter what abilities you choose. The Cu will kill more things than it could before the pet revamp.

Thanks Pawain.

Well, I have him on test 1 server so if I do screw up I'll at least still have my pet on production shard to recopy back to Test. I may follow Poo's example with poison pet, if I don't like it I can always try again.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You may not find a Cu with this many points. But this is an awesome poison build.

upload_2017-11-3_19-36-26.png

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You are not wasting points if you raise the damage earlier, just some mouse clicks.
Damage is capped at certain level for each slot value. So if you raise it at lvl 3, then at lvl 4, then at lvl 5, the total number of points you spend will be the same as if you just raised it once at lvl 5.

Jaela

Journeyman
Is there any sites w/ current pet templates people have used?
Also what are the odds of a 2 slot Cu instead of a 3?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there any sites w/ current pet templates people have used?
Also what are the odds of a 2 slot Cu instead of a 3?
What type pet? Theres lots of pictures here. Easier to narrow down.

There are no 2 slot Cus in the wild.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks guys
I just returned after a year, so much to catch up on.
Been reading a lot of stuff from @Pawain , thanks, I'll have to pm you for questions, maybe icq :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont have ICQ. I am lurking here a lot. you can message me here if you like.

We are very tolerant in this forum. When you are ready to to put points on a pet or ask about a specific pet, just make a fresh post in this forum. If you are just starting to train, we can guide you to some fast spots.

You may help others.

Let us know what you want to kill and what type pets you like.

As long as you put the basics on your pet, it will kill stuff.

Have fun! We sure are!

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ty
@Pawain

Just finished training.... this one

upload_2017-12-20_0-1-16.png

Got this, pet training options...

upload_2017-12-20_0-1-42.png

Trying to raise stamina...

upload_2017-12-20_0-2-39.png

After I click train pet, I get

upload_2017-12-20_0-3-42.png

^^^ is referring to just the stamina increase portion of it right? not the whole thing?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, it means you cant take away any choices you make. You will have 1488 points left.

Next: Set the Dex to max. Put the STR to 700. Set the resists to the values you want. Max the Mana regen. Put the mana to 400. Use the rest of the points in Hit points or HP regen.

Then get it to the next level.

:party:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Next, you need to decide what you want it to be and what scrolls you want to use.

You can choose 2 things from the abilities. You can only choose one item in that ability.

You can have an area ability and a special move, or a special move and a special ability, or an area and a special ability. (choose from the bottom up)

Then you can choose a magic. All these magics work on a Cu. Myst, Chiv, Weaving, Discord.

If you want a pet that mostly fights a single target, the popular thing is Armor Ignore and Chivalry. This makes sure the mana is used for the most important things. You would want to have a 120 chivalry scroll.

The area abilities will cause the pet to aggro things all over the place and cause the pet to change targets often. Not bad if you want it for spawns.

On your next level, make sure you max the base damage first! Choose the abilities that you want. Add the scrolls that you want to use. Then set the mana to 500 to 600. The remaining points can go into HP regen or HP.

Take your time.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@whitesmith

Your Cu has good starting stats so you should add a magic for the 500 points. If you have a Cu that you like but it has lower stats, this is a good build.

upload_2017-12-20_0-4-49.png

This one has killed many things in many places.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
hmmm...
I think I messed up somewhere...

My training icon is gone...

EDIT: When I read "next level", I thought you meant, after i spend these points, there would be another level of training, and I would get more points, I am starting to think I was wrong...haha

I think you meant, next level in the menu.... ROFL

This is a pre patch 97, about/more than a year old CU.

If what I said is correct, no harm done, it was only a test I was doing.

I think i will get more personal advice when I train my good pre patch CU, unless they're useless....

upload_2017-12-20_1-13-57.png
upload_2017-12-20_1-14-12.png

upload_2017-12-20_1-14-29.png
upload_2017-12-20_1-14-47.png
upload_2017-12-20_1-15-3.png

upload_2017-12-20_1-15-16.png

upload_2017-12-20_1-15-30.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hmmm...
I think I messed up somewhere...

My training icon is gone...

EDIT: When I read "next level", I thought you meant, after i spend these points, there would be another level of training, and I would get more points, I am starting to think I was wrong...haha

I think you meant, next level in the menu.... ROFL

This is a pre patch 97, about/more than a year old CU.

If what I said is correct, no harm done, it was only a test I was doing.

I think i will get more personal advice when I train my good pre patch CU, unless they're useless....

View attachment 75390
View attachment 75391

View attachment 75392
View attachment 75393
View attachment 75394

View attachment 75395

View attachment 75396
well that sucks....

I guess you had a Cu that was pre patch and was 4 slots. Now it is 5... Ugh

Ok at least you didnt put scrolls on it.

Cus are supposed to be 3 slot. You get 2 rounds of training.

You need to check the others. If they are 4 slot, release them out of town in a clear area and re-tame them again with the original owner. They will tame on first try and they will drop to 3 slot. Make sure you are an ELF. Then you have to bond again.

For the one you just trained. Release it and see if it goes to 4 slot. If not, just keep it in the stable.

You made a good template. The only thing you should change is: Only put 5 stamina regen. They dont lose stamina unless you let the HP get really low.

Make all your Cus 3 slot and do it again.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I bought a black one off a vendor and did not notice it was 4 slots. It looks about like yours now...

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thank you again... releasing and re-taming worked..

All training except for healing went down... PHEW!

Does that work with all the pets? that have become a lower follower count?

Most of my pets are prepatch, wondering if i should release and retame them all...

: ))))))

upload_2017-12-20_1-43-43.png

Attachments

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Whitesmith, don't do the release retame with any prepatch mares, white wyrms or dragons. The reason is the prepatch mares are 2 slot, white wyrms and dragons (not the greater versions) are 3 slot.

With that said, both versions of hiryu might be worth trying the release retame, along with any other prepatch cu sidhe you still have.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@whitesmith

Cus have high cold and energy resist.

You want to set the Physical and Fire resist to 80. Poison damage is not as common as those 2. The resist magic skill reduces the length of poison, and the Cu cures with its healing.

AtomicPunk

Visitor
Poisoning and discord are both magics. Cant have both
Hi, I am pretty new to this new taming since I came back to UO. I always animal lore all the other Cu's that I see. I saw a Cu with both magery and Chivalry. Aren't they both magic? Or, am I missing something. Please advise. Thank you very much!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cus can't get magery. If you choose mysticism then chivalry the mysticism will go away.

The red font lore and knowledge screen shows what they paid for.
The black font one shows what is active.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make a new thread and ask any questions as you progress with it.

Have fun!