• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gear on Siege? Lots of 'Blessed' or lots of naked?

O

Ordrek

I'm new and starting up again on Siege. I was curious what sort of gear is "end game" here. Is it mostly blessed artifacts and such or do those not exist, forcing people to wear more disposable items for PvP?

I ask because the answer may shift my final template to make it more or less gear dependant.

M

Mogluk

depends PvPr's tend to run higher end suits, and get more stuff if they are good.

O

Ordrek

depends PvPr's tend to run higher end suits, and get more stuff if they are good.

Thanks for the response. Does that mean they wear good but lootable gear or good but blessed/unlootable gear or some other combination?

In short, can you obtain good unlootable gear or not?

F

Førsaken

All I do is burn; Bronze, Gold, Horn, and Barbed Runics and put together very nice Sleeves, Gorget, and Gloves when I need them. I'm in factions on my mains right now, so that makes it a lot easier to equip; Fey Leggings, RBC/HotL, Orny, Crystalline Ring, Prime and Arms Talisman, Crimson Cincture, Spirit of the Totem, Folded Steel Reading Glasses, and Stormgrips.

It's not hard to establish yourself here, if you're able to put in little time to make the gold. Even with the crashing Powerscroll market, you can make good bank off the SoTs, Replicas, and 120s. Eventually you'll get one that still goes for 3-4mil + all the gold you're racking up at the end of spawns.

That's what majority of 420 that still play run. LOW used to run the same gear, TnT used to have people that would wear crazy runic like that, V wears it often, as so does GIL's faction guild. I have seen a few wearing cursed arties, minor arties, and Quiver of Infinities as of lately, with this non-faction war going on.

Although this was not in short, I hope it helped let you know that yes, some people wear great gear, that's obtainable and there's only 3 blessed items on this shard that people can't obtain really: EM made, "Blade of Brutality" -5 DCI, SCNP, 1/3 casting, 60 DI, and I think 25 SSI, and some luck [blessed], Item Blessed Inquis, and Item Blessed Orny. Not sure what happened to either of those, but that's the only IBD stuff I know of.

B

Bruin

Everything is lootable on Siege, except your single siege bless item.

For PVM, people tend to run in luck suits/LRC gear.

For PVP, mages will max out their DCI/SDI/LMC/MR via cursed artifacts and runic armour, ilshenar arties. Ideal would be like heart of the lion, sami helm, orny, fey leggings, 0/1 with DCI, one of those blessed spellbooks, and remaining runic crafted leather armour with high resists/LMC/MR.

Melee'ers max out HCI/MR/LMC/DCI via cursed artifacts as well.

Faction PVPers just wear faction gear instead of cursed arties, which is lootable but only wearable by it's owner, which is why there are a lot of faction buyback threads.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything is for the most part lootable. We unfortunately got the "owned by" crap attached to our faction items, so not everything you *loot* will be usable.

The level of gear people run is directly correlated to how good at PvP they are or how wealthy they are.

Those of us at the top in either catagory (and some in both) run prodo-style gear.

Those at the bottom, well... they run crap mostly.

We're currently debating as a shard on how to lessen the divide (and add more fun) between the two. I've proposed that we beef up monster loot from PvM and add 10x's the charges to runic kits. 2/3rds of the shard agrees... the rest would rather keep things as is...

Unless that goes through... things will remain the way they currently are.

O

Ordrek

Very good replies that answered my question: Gear is lootable.

I'm not very experienced with the UO of today, but even still I have to doubt the statement that what gear people wear is dependant on how good people are at PvP (the wealth part I can buy). I've never played a PvP game with looting where individual skill helped someone keep their loot if they solo. The only times I see people wear great gear in lootable PvP are:
1. They have means of assured escape if things get bad, and/or...
2. They run with a group that dodges more powerful groups

Even being the most badassed skilled PvPer, if you run solo you're going to trip up and lose everything occassionally either due to enemy groups, bad luck, or bad play days. Therefore even the best don't wear gear they can't reasonably replace.

My guess is that the best PvPers here either a) don't run solo, b) design templates that require little or no gear (usually gankers), or c) have some means of assured escape. It's probably all of those at different times.

That leaves me with some tough decisions. I love to play solo or with just a partner. That means I need to figure out b) and c). I'd love any assistance you guys can provide about low-gear templates or the tried and true means of escape. Of the two, I prefer the latter but will consider the former.

Something tells me I'm about to see the word "Ninjitsu" a lot...

B

Bruin

Something tells me I'm about to see the word "Ninjitsu" a lot...
Answer #1 - Lots of solo people run ninjitsu - smokebomb out if there's trouble (The get out of jail free card). Basically their "assured" means of escape.

#2 - The best do wear gear they can easily replace.

#3 - the statement that better pvpers wear better gear is true because the good pvp'ers don't die as much as the bad pvpers. So good pvp'er will have a net gain of equipment from looting fallen enemies - basically that's how they farm. The bad pvp'er usually can't afford to keep loosing good suits, so can't afford to run in the best gear. Obviously wealth comes into play, but being good in pvp can make you wealthy and or keep you from loosing your wealth essentially.

O

Ordrek

#3 - the statement that better pvpers wear better gear is true because the good pvp'ers don't die as much as the bad pvpers. So good pvp'er will have a net gain of equipment from looting fallen enemies - basically that's how they farm. The bad pvp'er usually can't afford to keep loosing good suits, so can't afford to run in the best gear. Obviously wealth comes into play, but being good in pvp can make you wealthy and or keep you from loosing your wealth essentially.
I absolutely agree that better PvPers can afford to wear better gear. The difference is they still won't wear something they can't afford to lose=)

O

Ordrek

So is joining factions a good way to go if you want gear you can easily replace? I'd rather not become a naked ganker type and I don't mind losing gear so long as it doesn't mean a lot of PvM grind to replace it.

O

Ole Cheapy

I'm new and starting up again on Siege. I was curious what sort of gear is "end game" here. Is it mostly blessed artifacts and such or do those not exist, forcing people to wear more disposable items for PvP?

I ask because the answer may shift my final template to make it more or less gear dependant.
Nothing beats a good "birthday suit".

B

Bruin

So is joining factions a good way to go if you want gear you can easily replace? I'd rather not become a naked ganker type and I don't mind losing gear so long as it doesn't mean a lot of PvM grind to replace it.
Either way it goes, you're probably going to have to pvm grind to get your gear, especially in the beginning.

Good low level faction items cost 5,000 silver. Each Demon carries 30 silver. Good non-faction items cost 200k-400k gold. Your pvp suit will cost you 100k-1mil depending on how rich you are.

Depending on your playstyle, you can go cheaper.

If all you want to do is pk newbies and crafters, go naked carry a dagger with poison and lethal poison them.

If you want to pk the average non-pvp player, you'll need to at least match their gear and just be better at pvp than them, probably run you 50k.

If you want to play with those who know how to pvp, it's gonna cost you minimum 100k-1mil. You can run with less but your surival odds dramatically decrease.

The cheapest (cheaper) pvp builds:
Tamer (please please please don't do this) - you could run naked.
Bushido archer/dexxer: Most important thing for a dexxer/archer to be able to do is hit their target. Bushido with lightening strike gives you PVP max HCI so you don't have to go out and buy HCI items if you solely rely on lightening strike.
Ninja: You could go naked, prey no one hits you and if you get into trouble, rely on smokebombs to get outta there. Pick up some decent HCI items and rely on deathstrike.
Combo ninja/bushido: works but forces you to rely on MR gear which starts to make things more expensive.
Parry Mage: If you want to run a mage, pick parry to augment your defensive ability if you can't afford 45+ DCI gear.

O

Ordrek

I've never ran a tamer back when I played, but I understand the temptation. "all kill (lol)" pvp and some decent PvM... all in the same template and nearly (or completely) naked. If I went this path I'd only do it until I could afford to run something less... lame.

I imagine the heighth of lame is a stealth-ninja tamer with magery for transport/utility/extra healing.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A mage has the most template variation... it's also the hardest to 'master' compared to any of the other templates available.

Are you looking for like a comprehensive list of some sorts to pick from?