• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Gear for a crafter char

I

ironpino

Hia,

First of all, I'm kinda new to a crafter char. Been more of a warrior but I deceided to create a pure crafter char now. Going for:
Blacksmith
Imbueing
Tailoring
Carpentry
Tinkering
Arms Lore
Alchemy
I don't need any magery or chiv to teleport. Because I hardly get out of luna, and if needed I will use a recall scroll.

I'm just asking this question;
For gear wearing while crafting an item or imbueing an item does luck influence the chance of getting a better item from crafting? Or are there any gear items that are handy for a crafter to wear, to get better items out of the stuff your craft. I think the answer is no, but I just wanna make sure..

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can use a rune book loaded with recall scrolls, I beleive it is slightly better than just a recall scroll for recalling. No help from suit other than increase hitpoints/strength so you can carry more survive getting attacked. Smithing without mining will be more difficult.

keel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trinkets/totems can be equipped for bonus percentages for crafting.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally, I'd do that template as follows:

*Blacksmith 120
*Tailor 120
*Imbuing 120
**Alchemy 100
**Mining 100
**Lumberjack 100
**Bowcraft 100
Arms Lore 100
Carpentry 100
Tinkering 100

Depending on your account age, you'll only get 700 to 720 to work with, and having your template as originally presented would be 760.

*Your best bet is to get a bunch of soulstones, and only have 2 of the 120 skills on at once.
** Similarly, Only keep one of these skills on at once. Mining is the best bet as it's required for recycling ingots, and is used for gathering the resources for smith, glassblowing (alchemy), and masonry (carpentry), as well as gems from mining being used in Imbuing. As Luna has one corner right up against a mountain, and you can take the moongate to Umbra, where the entire moat edge surrounding the town is able to be mined, the skill has plenty of opportunity for use.

The other 60-80 skill points would be used to add other skills as needed for crafting items with Carpentry (some items require music or magery, and I think others might require cooking).

Note that you can have 50 magery from ring, bracelet (both imbued), ToT magery book and the Treatise on Alchemy talisman (well, 55 if you have a crystalline ring, but I don't see you wasting that on a crafter). That's enough to be able to add the 25-30 magery from buying it from NPCs (except on SP, where you can't buy skills) whenever you need it.
Similarly, you can buy 15 music, and wear Music bracelet and ring, to make musical instruments (not the same as the magery jewels, unfortunately, because they are the same skill group). You can craft a singing axe and song-woven mantle (if an elf) to even go at it with 0 total real skill. A human will have to add the Minstrel talisman and either buy 5 skill, or find a runic-made fishing pole or Dryad Bow arti with +10 music to replace the axe with. Not sure what the gargoyle can do (is mantle convertible to garg use?)

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mining is only useful on your smith while you are training so you can smelt your items. Once your smith is fully trained, move mining to a gathering char with lumberjacking.

As for Alchemy, I would put that on a mage char with inscription.

Blacksmith 120
Tailoring 120
Imbuing 120
Carpentry 100
Tinkering 100
Armslore 100

Swap the remaining points between magery and music and wear +skill jewels and items for those two skills to make almost everything you need.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only have a few notes to add:
- song woven mantle cannot be altered for gargoyle
- singing axe can be altered
- personally I wouldnt use the minstrel talisman on a crafter: it is expensive and I prefer a carpentry talisman for better except chances on instruments. (Wood is cheap but i dont like to throw anything away unless you get points for it.)

Depending on your template and skill cap, you will have something between 40 and 80 skillpoints that wont fit into crafting skills. The highest magery that you would need along with carp is 75 (for a pentagram). With 10 real skill points invested into music, you would have 30 - 70 available for magery. Even in the worst case of only 30 real magery, you could reach the 75 with magery ring, bracelet and tome of lost knowledge.

Basicly you could add to any non-gargoyle crafter a travesty mask with fitting skill points (magery and/or music) but those are usually way to expensive. Not to mention that they look ugly. (Unless you maybe rp a savage crafter ... but that again is a totally other story)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mining is only useful on your smith while you are training so you can smelt your items. Once your smith is fully trained, move mining to a gathering char with lumberjacking.

You must make EVERYTHING perfect, exactly how you want it, with runics, right?

OR do you not use runics at all?

You can't smelt items back into ingots without both skills, and with runic hammers, there's typically more rejects than keepers. And, I'd rather be able to not have to switch characters if too many failures leave me a handful of stone or sand (let alone ingots) short of what I need for my crafting.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the past mining was all that you needed to smelt items. Has that been changed? (Though you had to have a smithing tool with you for smelting.)
Depending on your needs and the items of request, unraveling is a fine alternative to smelting.
For swapping chars, i personally keep three chests empty for 'junk' loot. Most of the time I use them when fishing or t-hunting. (Both chars of mine for that dont have imbuing.) I can use them for runic crafting as well, if i want to.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You must make EVERYTHING perfect, exactly how you want it, with runics, right?

OR do you not use runics at all?
If I make something with a runic and want to junk it, I unravel it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess that works too - but personally I need the ingots more than I do more MR & EE, and I don't so many high-end runics that relics come easy.