• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) Gaming laptops

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If you were buying a gaming laptop, what would you buy and why. Also, what service package would you go for?

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Asus ROG Series but wait for end of June - new Models - new CPU - new grapics..
They called Mainstream but if you dont want to spend 4k on a SLI fat laptop which isnt a laptop anymore with 12 pounds, go for Asus..
I dont know what service packages are out there in the US for it but i guess you can get it up to 3 years service pick up & return...
Consider around 1.2 to 1.9k cost

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Asus is one I am looking at. Best Buy carries them with a one year service plan. I am hearing to stay away from Dell so not looking at Alienware, tho my son likes his. HP has 3 and 4 year accidental plans. Looks like thier gaming laptop is the Pavilion dv6t. Yes, replacing a desktop. Whatever I get, will be dipping into my retirement, but I am learning that with some things, ya can't be cheap.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
checked out your link. You thinking I would be better off getting a desktop? I am not what you call a serious gamer. But I do play games like Skyrim and often MMOs. Would a desktop give me more bang for my buck?

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I think you do.. and you get some DIY serviceability. The average user can't pop open their laptop to replace components if they go bad. But pretty much any body that can figure out how to plug something into something else, can replace desktop components. Run the numbers and see how it comes out. I mean if you want to play from your couch, then a laptop might be better for you :)

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Well, if not a hardcore gamer, who needs it up to the last possible fps to have an advantage in game (which is more or less necessary if you play Ego Shooters hardcore, but will only work if you got T-Lines to have the best ping or the best hardware wont help) you can go with the most upper mainstream configs current multimedia laptops have.

For Diablo III for example, you can go with a 2nd gen ci5, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 5Series graphics, and play it in HD-ready resolution at almost highest graphic config - it works great with around 70 fps on any Ci7 2nd gen laptop i tested yet that got its on graphics chip f.e. GT555 or HD7670...

If you think of keeping your laptop for the next 2 years at least, you will have to spend this 500$ more and get what the Vendors declare to be a "Gaming-Notebook" - i work with all PC-Note Vendors and knwo their portfolio very well and there is only one, Asus, i can realy say they got it right - its not cheap but you get very well tested and smart configured Laptops that sell in thousands pices a month - NOT in 10- or 100 tsd pieces - and thats the difference - its kinda "hand-made"....

What you should go for in my opinion:

15.6IN Asus Republic of Gamers G53SX
3rd Gen Intel CPU - Price Range ~1700 $

Or, if you got a 2k Budget

Go for a 2nd Gen Intel cpued G53SX thats on sale with at least a GTX560 graphics
you should get this soon for around 1k maximum
Buy a service upgrad to make it 2 years guarantee

Spend the other 1k for a desktop - f.e. Acer PREDATOR G59 Series in a Medium configuration - you can upgrade the machine anytime you need (new graphics, new mainboard, more ram, better cpu, etc..)

OR, and thats what i would do if i plan to use the laptop more than 50% for gaming, go for a 17.3 Asus G73 Powerhouse in June (it will launch with the newest Intel cpu and NVidia Graphics, SSD, etc..) which will not be cheap but possbile to get for around 2.3k

IF you want to save a bit money, go for G53SX Asus with 2nd Gen Ci7, 8GB Ram, but dont save on the graphics, maybe there's some GTX580 out there...
Should get you the ability to play newest games for the next 2 years..

For UO, you can use any laptop ;) - i play UO on a Sony VGN-TT21M 11.1IN Tuned for Business Laptop on W7Pro - its outdated but its still strong and only 2.6 pounds but got everything i need - but as its that small, i got it with me everywhere, in summer i am sitting next to a beach nipping on a coffe and unravel items logged in via 3G - i even go hunt on the road on my lunch break at work - or at traffic jams ;))

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well that new laptop I got last year, Win 7 is a Dell.
No issues with it on anything except tryin to play UO on it.
It is speedy spiffy clarity on everything but a 14 yr old online game.
Kelmo says it is prob some resolution thing I haven't figured out yet on the laptop for UO,
yet I dont wanna mess with resolution when everything else on it visually/audioly etc. etc., is perfectly wonderfully AOK.

I will say this though, any laptop or even desktop ya get, make sure somehow all ye OLDE macros of UO, are not auto fubarred, with whomever makes that computer, with using all the f'ing F keys as an actual computer system key !!

After 14.5 yrs. of hitting F1 for hide, F2 for I wish to lock this down, F3 for I wish to secure this,
suddenly F1 shuts off puter, F2- F10 does some other computer funky functions; like lighting up ye spiffy new light up keyboard or darkening it, F3 shuts off your sound etc. ie all the f-ing F keys on a DELL Win 7, have an actual computer function,

np cept, ya are so 14.5 yrs. used to USING f-ing F keys in UO,
that now it could be quite a mess, when amy puter company actually makes USE of them f-ing F keys that before, never had any actual computer function or USE: and now of the fing Fkeys suddenly, have an actual computer functioning use, which they never had on any puters, ya ever had owned, before.

:)
Just saying old habits DIE HARD or ya gonna hit a key ya been hittin for yrs. and suddenly hit F1 to hide in UO and ya shut off your entire laptop instead !! *aint fun*

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
QZ I think there must be another button locked on your laptop to make it do that. Most laptops have a FN button near the left control button and that makes the F1-F12 buttons do secondary functions. I think somehow you locked that FN button down. What laptop are you using and I will see if I can find what does that so you can use your f1-f12 buttons for macros again.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got it when Dell first came out with the new WIN 7 laptops with the *customisable* designs.
Ye should see my laptop's spiffy design that design alone cost me an extra $45.00 lol cuz I wanted the one that looked like a blue SKULL like some grateful dead cover ! LOL

But yeh every F key has some weirdo laptop function ! Drives me insane.
I been hitting F1 to hide, F2-10 for silly things in UO for 14.5 yrs. now.
I don't use UO assist no more, never was fond of this or that or even macros,
cept, why should I waste time typing out *I wish to secure this* when F4 can do it or HAD
done it in UO for me, for 14.5 yrs. :)

Don't get me wrong I really love my laptop for every thing *cept UO*
The clarity of the actual *screenshot picture* playin UO is beautiful in CC on my old XP,
on my probably ordered it too large 17 inch wide screen laptop it's thrown into a *box*
that takes up prob what a smaller 15 inch screen would do, leaving UO squished in a puny area and nowhere near as clear either, nor as pretty.

But yeh on me newer *now old* cuz win 8 it out there now isn't it ?
The F3 I think shows a lil picture of a *light* I ordered the light up keyboard,
so that key is auto printed with the *light* that lights or shuts of backlight keyboard.
Every F key has a symbol on it to DO something puter wise.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Go to this DELL forums link, might help you. It is the same problem you had and there are 2 ways to fix it. One is through windows and the other is your laptops BIOS.
F-keys and Function button - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community

I hope this helps!! :)

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, Cuz even if I do stay or go, them F-ing fkeys, do bug me ! LOL
Only have had 2 other computers over me yrs. on computers and the win 95 and xp
both of which had lasted for years beyond even their time frame to last as puters go.
I was very fortunate with those versions over the years.
The F keys just never had any *purpose* whatsoever, on those computers before !

That laptop of mine, does wonderous 2012ish things, speedily, for everything
*else* I may like to do on it, cept for a 14 nearly 15 yr. old online game, called Ultima Online.

My hubby bout goes into shock when I am playin *music* on my win 7 saying
'damn woman you got sound extraordiare on that thing, you special ordered for music/ SOUND etc. !'
Course he is stuck still with a Win Vista, laptop, which I never woulda ordered, from the get go.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The link disappeared so I will do this a different way. I also found another link that talks you through it as well.

F-keys and Function button - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community

FN Key...disable/enable?? - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community
I will have to re do this, ie these links, ON the actual win 7 laptop, cuz atm I am still using/posting this, on my XP !

*hugs her old ailing win XP for it's yrs of faithful fathomable, use & service*

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
hehehe - dont get me wrong - but its 99% a user error not a hardware failure ;)

gotta be carefull with all the keys you have - there are key combos that might even shut your Dell down forever! Its called "Del(l)ete" ;)
Sorry but thats a must if you talk about Dell .... hehehe

Have fun with your Lappy, sounds like a great machine!

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Right. No I am not hardcore. But I was sad to only be able to play Skyrim on medium.

Can you order directly from the Asus website?

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
in europe you cant order at asus directly, not sure about the us
but theres plenty of other possibilities - amazon f.e. - manufactures shops btw are 99% more expensive than any others...
(they have to calculate their affords to handle a direct shipment to an end user...its cheaper for them to send containers to distributors..)

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bo is lookin for an upgrade in the desktop area. Bo has nice monitor, case, keyboard, and mouse. What would be a good setup for a desktop?
Bo has no problem installin it Boself, Bo bought all the pieces last time and put it together. The issue with bo is Bo doesnt have win 7. Any suggestions are welcomed. Bo is lookin to spend like 500-700 will go more, Bo just hates spending money on software!

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bo - I've never had an issue running the CC on linux via wine. But if you're running other games, then that might be a problem.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Bo, NewEgg.com is usually has the best prices that I have found. I have built my last 3 PC's through them. There is usually combo's that you can get to save money with mobo/cpu among other items. You can get Win7 fairly cheap as long as you buy it with cpu/mobo/hd that way it is licensed as OEM. You should look at the Intel I5 series CPU. The I7 is better but unless you are really going to be doing some heavy duty gaming it is overkill for the extra cost. Message me with what you are thinking about and I can help ya out some.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
While it looks like a nice computer I will have to warn you on a couple of things. Number one is the fact that it is an all-in-one. If something goes wrong, you will pay a lot for repairs. A traditional desktop, most people can replace things like video cards, Ethernet cards, hard drives etc. If you have to take it in for repairs, it is a lot cheaper as well since most parts can be replaces with stock parts on the shelves in most computer stores. (Stay away from the micro computers as well since it doesn't use standard sized parts and the ventilation is almost non-existent since there is almost no extra room in them). You also need to be careful with the all-in-ones and overheating as well.

It also maxes out at 8GB of memory. While that is decent right now, the games are bigger and more memory intensive every day. If you want this computer to be decent for the next few years, you will want to have a computer that has maxes out at more than 8GB's of RAM. The I7 is a great processor but you really need to research the processors. In most cases the I5 will be more than enough to handle the newer games but at a nice drop in price. I guess it depends on how hardcore you want your computer to be.

This is a great gaming desktop here. It has 8gb ram that is upgradable to 16gb. It still has the I7 for you and also has a the NVIDIA GT 520 2GB video card. ASUS has been making motherboards and video cards along with other computer parts for many years and is a quality company. They are now making nice desktop and laptop computers along with some nice tablets. You don't have to worry about the quality with them. Asus - Essentio Desktop - 8GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - CM6850-01 It is half the price of the all-in-one though it blows the all-in-one away.

If you were buying a gaming laptop, what would you buy and why. Also, what service package would you go for?
I think it will be the budget king acer nitro 5, which is comes with Core i7-11800H and RTX 3050 TI. I think this is the only laptop who deserve more than it. Hope soon I will purchase my dream gaming laptop. thank for asking!