• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Game breakers for me with new UI

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bit of a shock today to log in and find you have zero choice on using the new default UI. Now I would much prefer to use it, don't get me wrong, but it would have been nice to have a bit of time to get used to it before having it auto thrust on you.

Having said that I can't seem to be able to zoom in and out with my mouse wheel on my game screen and can't see how to actually 'set it' so I can. I am NOT gonna be pressing left alt minus/plus etc to go in and out as that is just a total pain. (-/+). It used to say 'mousewheel' in the old default and in pinko's. How do I make so my game screen goes in and out with the wheel. Also it seems we no longer can have the backpack icon on our petbars when dismounting from beetle etc, this is a shame, and to me a must have. I notice the scaling on the paper doll is really choppy too seem you can have small or large but it doesn't actually scale like it did before and in the same way the health bars etc can.

The other real game breaker for me is the toggle legacy backpacks action. Used to be you could have your backpack or other containers open in default square grid view to see all your items, and when you hit 'toggle legacy backpacks' it would just be the NEXT container you opened that would go into legacy format. Thus you could open your packs, stocking containers, beetles packs etc then toggle to legacy to open your vendor pack in legacy view, stock your items, then toggle back. Now when I 'toggle to legacy backpack' it closes all existing OPEN containers closed and I have to reopen them and they are then ALL in legacy so I can't find a damn thing as they are all a jumbled mess and makes the whole point of toggling a container to legacy for stocking etc pointless. Unless this is fixed so containers that are already open STAY open in the grid view and only a container 'selected' after toggling opens in legacy view it is really impossible to stock vendors from this default ui.

Maybe I am missing something somewhere but I just cant see anywhere to correct either of the above things. Until I can I don't think I will play at all, I can't stock my vendors any more with it as it is.

Help would be appreciated'

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The zoom on the mouse wheel can be set under the "input" tab of the user settings menu. I'm not at the computer to check but I'm fairly sure that's the place to look.

I totally agree about the legacy container toggle. I would switch to legacy for stocking my vendor and when it changed all my open containers i did "huh" myself.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also while on the subject of containers they used to save the position you placed them in. Now if you login again they just are back in the default position.

Lonliness

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
To be honest I hate the UI..Trying to restock my VENDORS IS IMPOSSIBLE!! I try to stock in Legacy container view for the guys who still use 2D and everything stacks on top of each other..There are so many bugs it isnt possible to list them! Please Pinco hurry up with your version 6. How on earth do any NEW players get on with the cumbersome UI I dread to think! Maybe they will leave after 10 minutes in pure frustration! Is there a way of reverting to the old system as this system is UNWORKABLE.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The zoom on the mouse wheel can be set under the "input" tab of the user settings menu. I'm not at the computer to check but I'm fairly sure that's the place to look.

I totally agree about the legacy container toggle. I would switch to legacy for stocking my vendor and when it changed all my open containers i did "huh" myself.
I tried it there, deleted the existing hotkey of left alt num pad minus key , tried to reset it by clicking on it and it says select what key etc but when i move the mouse wheel nothing happens and it won't set into the default hotkey position.

If the legacy container problem is NOT fixed that will be it for me, my game is 99% vendors these days, if I can't stock em due to the above then there is no point in me keeping my last account open. The ONLY reason it is still open was I was waiting to see the new UI, trying to give UO a last chance. So far I have shut down 2/4 of my accounts, am packing up the third, and was intending to keep the main account open at least for another year or so,when i may of reopened others if things improved. If I can't run my vendors then there is no point to that either. It is a serious game breaker for me, one I am not prepared to put up with. I am not going backwards in my gameplay which is what this particular problem will cause. I am NOT going through all my containers setting em up just so I can see my stuff in legacy view just to stock my vendors. Not worth the time and aggravation when the old default and pinko's did NOT have this problem and allowed you just to toggle the 'next' container you opened without closing all containers to the same view. It is a bug, and if NOT a bug then a game breaker for any serious EC player who has vendors.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in the user settings, input, right at the top it says 'mouse' use the drop down to set the scroll wheel up and scroll wheel down to zooming. You'll find them right at the top of the list - you'll have to go up the list. This works, I've done it.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried it there, deleted the existing hotkey of left alt num pad minus key , tried to reset it by clicking on it and it says select what key etc but when i move the mouse wheel nothing happens and it won't set into the default hotkey position.
Not like that. You need to set it from the menu like in the picture below:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ahh ok thanks found it now, must of been blind the first time round.

Now just need this toggle on legacy fixed or I can't play. If it remains as it is, and no one can find a work around then that is it for my merchant days, can't stock my vendors so can't play as it is. That is the whole REASON to have a toggle to legacy, if you want all your containers legacy you will set em like that and if you want EC grid view you will set like that. The toggle is really only for those of us who need to switch between views and the sole reason for that is to stock vendors or on the odd occasion to 'find' something that is hidden in a dark background in one view or another. You have all your stock in containers in grid view and only toggle to legacy when you want to open your vendor backpack so that you can stock for people using either client. Without that functionality the client is totally broken for me and unplayable. Not sure why it is so as even in the OLD default UI the toggle didn't close all containers and switch em all to the one view, it has never been like that.

I only really play as a merchant/crafter these days and not being able to stock vendors due to the above totally ruins the game.

Hopefully Pinko can answer this post as to whether or not this will be changed as a matter of urgency. If not please say so and I will finish up my accounts as don't wanna waste months waiting for a fix that is NOT coming.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ahh ok thanks found it now, must of been blind the first time round.

Now just need this toggle on legacy fixed or I can't play. If it remains as it is, and no one can find a work around then that is it for my merchant days, can't stock my vendors so can't play as it is. That is the whole REASON to have a toggle to legacy, if you want all your containers legacy you will set em like that and if you want EC grid view you will set like that. The toggle is really only for those of us who need to switch between views and the sole reason for that is to stock vendors or on the odd occasion to 'find' something that is hidden in a dark background in one view or another. You have all your stock in containers in grid view and only toggle to legacy when you want to open your vendor backpack so that you can stock for people using either client. Without that functionality the client is totally broken for me and unplayable. Not sure why it is so as even in the OLD default UI the toggle didn't close all containers and switch em all to the one view, it has never been like that.

I only really play as a merchant/crafter these days and not being able to stock vendors due to the above totally ruins the game.

Hopefully Pinko can answer this post as to whether or not this will be changed as a matter of urgency. If not please say so and I will finish up my accounts as don't wanna waste months waiting for a fix that is NOT coming.
I am looking into a solution for this issue.

Lonliness

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thankyou Bleak..As an avid Vendor I agree with MissEcho.It is really challenging to continue playing with this situation.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fantastic, I haven't logged in again since this issue began as I can't stock my vendors on atlantic, nor on my home shard. Living out of the bank on atlantic where my main vendors are located means all my stuff is in chars backpacks, beetles and bank across multiple characters, everything is organised in grid view so I can find it and I stock directly out of my beetle/backpack to my vendors, right now can't find anything as is is all one jumbled mess the minute I have to go into legacy view to stock the vendor. The alternative is to not worry about half the players and not bother to stock for legacy view but that kinda kills my playstyle. I hope this fix is coming sooner rather than later.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It takes 5 minutes to fix the toggle legacy action. I really dont understand what takes so long to fix for the most of them (unless the devs spent zero time on the EC itself and all the budget for pinco is already used).

I'm not sure if we really should start pushing player written Bugfix-Mods? Is that the way the dev team images the EC future?

There was a time we had an extra TC client, when they changed weapon damage and added refinements. Surely nobody thought this would have been a good way to go with the new UI?

P.S. For a quick and dirty fix to the legacy toggle:
- Goto the UI folder of your client installation directory
- Unzip the Default.zip, preferrably rename the folder from "Default" to "MyDefault"
- Locate Source/Actions.lua inside it
- Look for
Code:
function Actions.ToggleLegacyContainers()
end
- Replace it with the code below (aka removing all the container close BS)
Code:
    SystemData.Settings.Interface.LegacyContainers = not SystemData.Settings.Interface.LegacyContainers
    if(SystemData.Settings.Interface.LegacyContainers) then
        WindowUtils.ChatPrint(GetStringFromTid(1155100), SystemData.ChatLogFilters.SYSTEM )
    else
        WindowUtils.ChatPrint(GetStringFromTid(1155101), SystemData.ChatLogFilters.SYSTEM )
    end
    UserSettingsChanged()
    ButtonSetPressedFlag( "SettingsLegacyUseLegacyContainersButton", SystemData.Settings.Interface.LegacyContainers )
end
Grayed out hotbars is as easy as well, just to name another example.

Of course there are also new bugs (http://stratics.com/community/threads/pink-and-blue-scrolls-on-vendors-not-showing.322433/) in the container window, so don't get too excited.

Last edited:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It takes 5 minutes to fix the toggle legacy action. I really dont understand what takes so long to fix for the most of them (unless the devs spent zero time on the EC itself and all the budget for pinco is already used).

I'm not sure if we really should start pushing player written Bugfix-Mods? Is that the way the dev team images the EC future?

There was a time we had an extra TC client, when they changed weapon damage and added refinements. Surely nobody thought this would have been a good way to go with the new UI?
lol
have you ever got a nightly version of something? no, so you can't expect fast fixes for things that are not vital.
Every bug needs to be tested, find a way to be replicated, added into the system and then someone will take care of it and when enough bugs have been fixed there will be a release.
So, for now you just need to report the bugs with all the details you can provide on how to replicate it :p

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Classifying the issue of EC users not able to stock vendors as "not vital" is something the EC players might disagree.

Then there is this issue with not being able to cast spells in an MMORPG (while with every other UI / client you can), which is also beyond me to not label it as "critical".

Also,

needs to be tested
It was crystal clear to everybody a change of this size would not go without minor and hopefully not too many major issues. VvV on the other hand was given three full phases of testing on TC.

Anyways, looking forward to the next bugfix release.

:rolleyes:

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The legacy container line scripts still work. I agree the changes to the legacy container toggle were horrible. You can find them under Command Scripts in the Reference Library subforum. And yes, there are a ton of bugs. They can be probably mostly be blamed on last minute changes to Pinco's work demanded by the dev team.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hotbar disabled.jpg

1. When i die all my hotbar items are disabled !
2. When dieing it is lagging like hell because the backpack isnt closed before dieing
3. The Sound is fading in and out especially near before dead and in action scenes
4. I cant attack mage rats over the CurrenTarget Window iam standing right before them double click it like hell and nothing happens!
5. Sometimes it crashes the client hanging when i want to open the healthbar out of the current target

this combined is unplayable for now

Tranquility

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thanks @petemage for supplying that code to the UO Community. It worked.

So now I using neither Pincos UI nor The Devs Default; instead I'm currently running PTM (Pete the Mage).:rolleyes:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am pretty sure this will all work out fine in the new Pinco UI too. Please use this only as a dirty hotfix until it gets officially fixed ;)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. When i die all my hotbar items are disabled !
You can setup a macro to reload the UI, which kind of should reset it. Use "script" action on a hotbar and set it to
Code:
script InterfaceCore.ReloadUI()

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks Pete, a simple fix, now if only the toggle scale mode action will stay ON permanently so I don't have to toggle it ON every time I log in. Hopefully someone will fix the legacy container thing in the default sooner rather than later.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Pete, a simple fix, now if only the toggle scale mode action will stay ON permanently so I don't have to toggle it ON every time I log in. Hopefully someone will fix the legacy container thing in the default sooner rather than later.
the scale mode was made that way because we didn't want that people forget it on and scale things around randomly...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can setup a macro to reload the UI, which kind of should reset it. Use "script" action on a hotbar and set it to
Code:
script InterfaceCore.ReloadUI()
This feature is built into the UI already, it's left control+R

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Greying out of the hotbars needs to be disabled until it actually functions properly. I died multiple times tonight because my hotbars would grey out ans STAY greyed out for no reason (had plenty of mana, no debuffs, not casting anything).

I even had hotbars that had nothing to do with spells, special moves,etc grey out. :cursing:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the scale mode was made that way because we didn't want that people forget it on and scale things around randomly...
Perhaps, but I hardly think someone is going to forget it is on as they would of had to have selected to put in on in the first place. In your UI it stayed on once you selected it and I never ONCE heard anyone complain about it, the ability to scale pet and health bars, etc large and small is super useful and there is nothing worse in the middle of a fight trying scale up the bar to find you forgot to put the darn toggle on when logging in and having to do it on the fly. The reason you toggle it on is so you can have the scaling automatically whenever you want. It is not a big deal but just a total drag every time you log a char in having to toggle it ON again, if you are are in and out of characters remembering to turn it back on is becoming a nuisance. Much preferred it the other way, and wish it was put back.

The other bad thing I noticed today was container sizes. In the old UI/Pinko's if you opened a container in a char, and dragged the grid open say to ten wide by ten down, the next time you opened that same container it opened to that 'NEW' default size and did so even after logging out etc, it remembered the setting. You could have all individual containers set to whatever 'size' you wanted. Now you open a container, drag it open to the preferred size, close it and when opening it again it defaults back to the 5 x 5 or whatever the original size is. This happens even if you haven't logged the char out, open container, drag it open, accidentally close it and it auto defaults back to small even if you open it 5 seconds later. This is becoming really painful especially on my crafter character as she used to click stuff open and it opened the containers to display all her stuff. It has a dramatic effect on my rune library containers, I have books set up in columns with the bookcase open so it is 10 across x however many down, and categories of books color coded in the columns, ie blue in first column for trammel, red in the second for fel etc. Now because the containers keep defaulting back to the original size I have to drag open the whole library every single time I use it or it is a jumbled mess as everything un-aligns. Wish that was put back the way it was too.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The other real game breaker for me is the toggle legacy backpacks action. Used to be you could have your backpack or other containers open in default square grid view to see all your items, and when you hit 'toggle legacy backpacks' it would just be the NEXT container you opened that would go into legacy format. Thus you could open your packs, stocking containers, beetles packs etc then toggle to legacy to open your vendor pack in legacy view, stock your items, then toggle back. Now when I 'toggle to legacy backpack' it closes all existing OPEN containers closed and I have to reopen them and they are then ALL in legacy so I can't find a damn thing as they are all a jumbled mess and makes the whole point of toggling a container to legacy for stocking etc pointless. Unless this is fixed so containers that are already open STAY open in the grid view and only a container 'selected' after toggling opens in legacy view it is really impossible to stock vendors from this default ui.
I second that.
When I'm killing stuff, I want to have my backpack in legacy mode, but corpses should open in grid. With the old UI, I turned on legacy, opened my backpack, turned off legacy. Worked like a charm. With the new UI it doesn't work anymore.

It would be cool, if there would be a feature, which would let you override the legacy mode for certian gump types. I.e. set general legacy containers on and set legacy containers off for corpses. That would be perfect...

P.S. For a quick and dirty fix to the legacy toggle:
- Goto the UI folder of your client installation directory
- Unzip the Default.zip, preferrably rename the folder from "Default" to "MyDefault"
- Locate Source/Actions.lua inside it
- Look for
Code:
end
- Replace it with the code below (aka removing all the container close BS)
Code:
    SystemData.Settings.Interface.LegacyContainers = not SystemData.Settings.Interface.LegacyContainers
    if(SystemData.Settings.Interface.LegacyContainers) then
        WindowUtils.ChatPrint(GetStringFromTid(1155100), SystemData.ChatLogFilters.SYSTEM )
    else
        WindowUtils.ChatPrint(GetStringFromTid(1155101), SystemData.ChatLogFilters.SYSTEM )
    end
    UserSettingsChanged()
    ButtonSetPressedFlag( "SettingsLegacyUseLegacyContainersButton", SystemData.Settings.Interface.LegacyContainers )
end
That doesn't work for me...

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The other bad thing I noticed today was container sizes. In the old UI/Pinko's if you opened a container in a char, and dragged the grid open say to ten wide by ten down, the next time you opened that same container it opened to that 'NEW' default size and did so even after logging out etc, it remembered the setting. You could have all individual containers set to whatever 'size' you wanted. Now you open a container, drag it open to the preferred size, close it and when opening it again it defaults back to the 5 x 5 or whatever the original size is. This happens even if you haven't logged the char out, open container, drag it open, accidentally close it and it auto defaults back to small even if you open it 5 seconds later.
Yeah I noticed this. I hope its something that will be sorted in a patch / Pincos new UI.

Tranquility

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Is there a hotfix for the Paperdolls!?:grin:

I'm running a UI scale of 1.0 and I'm constantly having to lower the UI Scale to pull up the paperdoll despite locking down the paperdoll. :thumbdown::wall::sad2::frown2:

After logging out and changing characters the same thing happens; the paperdoll defaults to the same location every time which is just to the right of my screen which I cannot see unless I lower the 1.o UI Scale. But sure enough when I lower the UI Scale the paperdoll is there everytime in the same spot.

Is anyone having this issue? It's driving me mad....

This has to rank as my top annoyance right now.:violin:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there a hotfix for the Paperdolls!?:grin:

I'm running a UI scale of 1.0 and I'm constantly having to lower the UI Scale to pull up the paperdoll despite locking down the paperdoll. :thumbdown::wall::sad2::frown2:

After logging out and changing characters the same thing happens; the paperdoll defaults to the same location every time which is just to the right of my screen which I cannot see unless I lower the 1.o UI Scale. But sure enough when I lower the UI Scale the paperdoll is there everytime in the same spot.

Is anyone having this issue? It's driving me mad....

This has to rank as my top annoyance right now.:violin:
By looking at the code: This seems to be intended behaviour. Every time a paperdoll of another player opens, the UI checks if it overlaps with the game window, and if it does so, it anchors the paperdoll on the right side of the game window.

Nothing of that in the old client UI code.

Tranquility

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
By looking at the code: This seems to be intended behaviour. Every time a paperdoll of another player opens, the UI checks if it overlaps with the game window, and if it does so, it anchors the paperdoll on the right side of the game window.

Nothing of that in the old client UI code.
Thanks petemage for explaining what is occuring in the code.

I'm not happy about it at all. I think it's baloney and makes no sense to why it was put in there.

I don't play in a small game window game and have all my hotbars outside the game window. My entire screen is my game window and I play in Windowed Mode.

I extend the screen so I'm playing full screen and I place my hotbars accordlingly on my game window which covers my entire screen.

Not happy at all about this change; that they need to remove that UI Check for the paperdoll and just allow us to place the paperdoll where it was last positioned or locked down.

Tranquility

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I was able to put in my own quick hot fix regarding my paperdoll issue by changing some code in the PaperdollWindow.lua file. Thanks again petemage for explaining what was happening with the repositioning of the paperdoll.

Being that I was the last person to append changes to my current UI am I now running my own officially running my own UI?

Understanding Lua has appears to have become a prerequisite to playing Ultima Online.

CronusVl

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thank your petemage, good fix. Because i dont know, when i can get normal patch from our game, it is good alternative.

CronusVl

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thank your petemage, good fix. Because i dont know, when i can get normal patch from our game, it is good alternative.

Tranquility

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Patience is the prerequisite, you just have to wait :D
I agree. Lord British should officially declare that patience is the 9th virtue.

Looking at the code and making a few minor changes as was suggested gives me a new insight how complex some of the coding and lua can be. It also drives home just how much time,work, and effort you put into making a better UI into all the work you did for the UO community.

I have all the confidence in the world that Pinco UI 6.0 will make Ultima Online better than it ever has been.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree. Lord British should officially declare that patience is the 9th virtue.

Looking at the code and making a few minor changes as was suggested gives me a new insight how complex some of the coding and lua can be. It also drives home just how much time,work, and effort you put into making a better UI into all the work you did for the UO community.

I have all the confidence in the world that Pinco UI 6.0 will make Ultima Online better than it ever has been.
If waiting is for free no problem with that, but it isnt!

Ultima Online is like a banana that ripens at the customer!

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Any solution yet ? Would be nice to know if the default UI is fixed for this issue so I can use it and not have to resort to work arounds.