• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gains for Pet Training

jride

Adventurer
While just about everything gives "slightly" gains, and UO-CAH outlines pretty good what gives "greatly", I am curious what gives "Fairly" if anyone knows, I can't seem to find it listed anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Things like Ogre Lords and Lich Lords where giving "Fairly" gains while I was doing level 3 treasure maps with an untrained Unicorn but it was super super slow. I eventually bit the bullet and just went to the Crazed Mages and Unbound Energy Vortex.

Oh, and the Elder Gazers in the room leading to Shame level 5 give Fairly gains. I used them to finish off a level when I hit my limit on a Crazed Mage because I can't actually kill the mages to force a respawn lol. There's two of them so you can gain from that room for a while.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Serpentine Dragon gives fairly... it's para version give greatly, but you can only gain 25% per para. Once your pet hits that it quits gaining until you kill it off.

Also, the Great Ape in Eodon gives greatly, some may find that an easier hunt than Navery and better loot than Crazed Mage. Although Great Ape is not an afk'er encounter. Like the para Serp Drag your pet can only gain 25% on a single one. Then it must be killed off to gain more.

For anyone curious... yes, Navery has a cap too it seems. Pet can only gain 50% on one.
(at least these are my personal experiences on them all, yours could vary)

Have also heard some talking about Gregorio near Skara. I have never hunted that one though. Gregorio the Brigand - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Can ya tell I play a lot of non peak hours :lol:

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I thought how much xp you can gain is based on the slot number of the pet? I know it is for Crazed Mages at least. My unicorns can do a full level on them when going from 2 to 3 but then it drops for each subsequent level. Also how the hell do you kill a crazed mage? My unicorns even at level 4 barely get it down to like 85% hp lol

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Cora also gives greatly. Need to vet though, can't run consume, but very easy still and you can mark a rune down there.

jride

Adventurer
Sounds good, think I am going to try to put together a list of all the fairly's so if anyone knows anymore out there please add to the conversation.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I thought how much xp you can gain is based on the slot number of the pet? I know it is for Crazed Mages at least. My unicorns can do a full level on them when going from 2 to 3 but then it drops for each subsequent level. Also how the hell do you kill a crazed mage? My unicorns even at level 4 barely get it down to like 85% hp lol
Honestly, I do not know. I have never seen a Nav stay up that long. Was fighting her at like 3am one night with two 3 slot pets who had no chance of killing her. After a while she was down a quarter life and pets were at 50%. They did not gain any more so I moved to Serp Drag and Great Ape.

That is all I know :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Also how the hell do you kill a crazed mage? My unicorns even at level 4 barely get it down to like 85% hp lol
It is kind of easy honestly. They actually have to be killed off after a little while because gains stop or they seem to at any rate.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The pet % Cap for each mob is limited by the pet's slots. 1 and 2 slot pets can gain 100% off a single mob. 3 slot pets can gain 50%. 4 slot pets can gain 25%.
For weak 1 slot pets (like Fire/Giant Beetles/Lesser Hiryus), i use Dread Pirates. 2 Dread Pirates will get them from 1 slot to 3, at which point they can handle tanking tougher mobs (so long as you heal them) like Allosaurus. Allosaurus is my preferred mob to level from 4 slot to 5 on. I usually have my Sampire sitting on standby waiting to kill the Allosaurus once my pet gains 25% on it.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The pet % Cap for each mob is limited by the pet's slots. 1 and 2 slot pets can gain 100% off a single mob. 3 slot pets can gain 50%. 4 slot pets can gain 25%.
For weak 1 slot pets (like Fire/Giant Beetles/Lesser Hiryus), i use Dread Pirates. 2 Dread Pirates will get them from 1 slot to 3, at which point they can handle tanking tougher mobs (so long as you heal them) like Allosaurus. Allosaurus is my preferred mob to level from 4 slot to 5 on. I usually have my Sampire sitting on standby waiting to kill the Allosaurus once my pet gains 25% on it.
Strange... because the pets I was using were both level 3 pets.. they both gained to 50% on Nav, then they both only gained to 75% on Great Ape. By that standard the Great Ape should have been able to carry them to 100%... but they were 75% when the Ape hit 50% life. They killed if from half life without either one getting a single gain.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds good, think I am going to try to put together a list of all the fairly's so if anyone knows anymore out there please add to the conversation.
Why waste time with fairy gains?

jride

Adventurer
Why waste time with fairy gains?
Some people play on Siege or Mugen, where it is difficult to get to the greatly's so looking at other options, since you can not recall into dungeons, crazed mages is a no go - or at least a difficult go at it. Allosaurus isn't a bad option but kind of limited. And besides there isn't a good guide on what gives Fairly so thought it could help the community.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Navrey, Allosaurus, Night Terror. I would use these instead of taking forever.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Some people play on Siege or Mugen, where it is difficult to get to the greatly's so looking at other options, since you can not recall into dungeons, crazed mages is a no go - or at least a difficult go at it. Allosaurus isn't a bad option but kind of limited. And besides there isn't a good guide on what gives Fairly so thought it could help the community.
I don't play Siege but does honor (virtue) work there? If it were me I would spend time working the virtue up, invoke it, roll into Crazed Mage. Fight to raise pet, pop it back on and head out before I would try to jump levels just off of fairly gains. I mean that would take forever.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Shame is a 5 lvl dungeon and you have to fight to run down aswell, honor won't help you get that far in.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
True.. but a person can get through the first 3 levels rather easily on a mountable pet, running pro and precasting invis as they run through. Really only need honor for like half of Level 4 and 5. Having it at the Follower/Knight Level it should/will last that long.

As for those who have a pet in tow? Yeah, they are outta luck on that.