• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Gains @ 66.9

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was wondering if anybody has a better idea - have read a bunch of stuff here and there. I'm trying to get my Siege guy to 70 asap, was making bone harvesters, and a few days ago started making broadswoards. Still real slow gains.

If cost, either GP or ingots, was not a factor does anyone have a good suggestion on what else to make. Thanks for any feedback.

Jack Nickelson

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I train I always use the stratics skill guides.

UO Stratics - Blacksmithy

Enter your skill, click on sort by skill, then click update.

Scroll down and look for stuff with a 45%-55% success rate.

5% Luck

The best thing I can tell you is on the right side after the item name in the crafting menu there is a button. If you click it you get a description, chance to craft, Exc chance and material cost.

What you want it to say is 50-55% chance and the lowest material cost for the best gains.

Stay away from skill boost items and talisman unless ya just want an item right now. For skill gains they are a deperment.

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for feedback from all. I'm making kats right now and seeing some faster gains.

Jack Nickelson

Ganesh89

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
did you eat a 120 skill scroll already? If not i suggest you do....i always find my gains better when i max the skill cap...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
did you eat a 120 skill scroll already? If not i suggest you do....i always find my gains better when i max the skill cap...

Specifically...

The gain window's top end gets expanded on a 1 for 1 percentage basis when you use a PS, for both tailor and smith training.

Examples:

No scroll: You stop gaining on an item when your unmodified chance of success is 100%.
105 PS used: You stop gaining on an item when your unmodified chance (theoretical) reaches 105%. As the DISPLAYED skill stops at 100%, that factors out to be 2.5 skill points past where it hit 100% (as the skills advance 0.2% per 0.1 skill gained).
110 PS used: Gain until theoretical 110% success (5.0 points past where item hit 100%)
115 PS used: Gain until theoretical 115% success (7.5 points past where item hit 100%)
120 PS used: Gain until theoretical 120% success (10.0 points past where item hit 100%)

To an extent, this is true for most skills with PS (not just crafting), but some of the skills advance at a 5/2 ratio instead of 2/1 (and some are even more bizarre, as the ratio is 10/7 for gaming imbuing via unraveling, with the total intensity of the item unraveled being divided somehow to get to the target number, instead of a "success" chance)