• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gaining in healing slow?

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So I've been trying to limit my focus to a couple of pets in the hopes of getting them completely trained up in skills. While I get skills like discord will be dog slow and I can expect that but then there is healing.

Now I only scrolled healing on my cu to 110 (which I'm ok with, limited funds and all). The gains have been frustratingly slow. On Sunday I pretty blew through 3 whisperings and only got .3, alnd those came on the last whisper.

I have been using rotting corpses in Doom for my whispers. My cu is currently at 101.7. So is there some trick? Or am I doing it wrong?

KimDeago

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So I've been trying to limit my focus to a couple of pets in the hopes of getting them completely trained up in skills. While I get skills like discord will be dog slow and I can expect that but then there is healing.

Now I only scrolled healing on my cu to 110 (which I'm ok with, limited funds and all). The gains have been frustratingly slow. On Sunday I pretty blew through 3 whisperings and only got .3, alnd those came on the last whisper.

I have been using rotting corpses in Doom for my whispers. My cu is currently at 101.7. So is there some trick? Or am I doing it wrong?
The way I train CU healing is... I use a second computer and log on with my poison mage. Mage also has discord. I discord cu then poison cu. I re-poison every time the cu heals it. With the tamer of the cu I heal every time the health gets to half life. rinse and repeat. I do this from 80 to 120. I have done it on several pets. It is slow, about 24 hours from 80ish gut steady gains till 120

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Discord the cu and cast poison on it over and over using a macro.

2. Go and enjoy life and return once the pet has reached required skill level.

KimDeago

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The way I train CU healing is... I use a second computer and log on with my poison mage. Mage also has discord. I discord cu then poison cu. I re-poison every time the cu heals it. With the tamer of the cu I heal every time the health gets to half life. rinse and repeat. I do this from 80 to 120. I have done it on several pets. It is slow, about 24 hours from 80ish gut steady gains till 120
If you play on Origin I can help you with the healing on your pet with my Disco Mage poisoner

ryanouno

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My best solo tactic on healing where you can train from 100 to 120 easily (and even from less) is to use satyr trick and try to move so satyr will walk between trees and then you can stand infront of him and he will stop moving. (Btw blocking with items on the floor is not allowed) then just agro pixies on cu sidhe and wait for steady gains (try to heal cu only with healing spells and dont cure him because after you get around 110 heal (about 80 when discorded) the gains are best from curing poison). Ive manage to gain much more in 2 hours on pixies then in doom tanking 2 rottings with 110 heal for 4 hours.

Ofc the most comfy way is if you can disco pet and cast poison on him.. :))

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Sadly I don't have toon with discord.

Never could get the "satyr trick" to work for me. I'm not sure if there are any other options. It sounds like those are my only two choices :grrr:

I was hoping but I guess I'll just see how it goes.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't give up, you can get there. My only discorder is on the same account as my tamer, so I couldn't use her, and I could never get the hang of the satyr trick either, but my cu now has 115 healing. I added chiv, but not till after I'd finished the healing and now it's gaining that. Most of it was done in Doom using the 2 rotting corpses west of the guardian's room.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't give up, you can get there. My only discorder is on the same account as my tamer, so I couldn't use her.
Same here. I just stoned off the music and disco and swapped it for the med and spellweaving on my tamer to use it on my pet.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Same here. I just stoned off the music and disco and swapped
which I'm ok with, limited funds and all
With limited funds don't forget about soul stone fragments.. a lot of folks forget that cheaper alternative.

Disco is the only way to go imo as well, Satyr trick does take a little while to get the hang of... gotta walk dog out once the Satyr disco's him then go back in.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Healing goes PAINFULLY slow, especially after you hit 90 points. It took me weeks of doing the Disco / poison method to get my main Cu up to 120.

Going forward, I will only go up to 100 healing on Cu's. Also, make sure that you work up healing before adding Chvialry or Mysticism, which both have spells that the pet can cast to heal itself. If you don't work healing to GM before adding those skills... it's going to be nearly impossible.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Also, make sure that you work up healing before adding Chvialry or Mysticism, which both have spells that the pet can cast to heal itself. If you don't work healing to GM before adding those skills... it's going to be nearly impossible.
There is a way around that being the case. I send the Cu after the Rotting Corpse etc then just tell the Cu to "All Stop" and "All Follow Me".. for some reason that makes them just stand there and not attack or cast. They just heal their way through the poison.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I took my Disco Cu down to the battleground or whatever in Eodon... Killing the Britains... He was gaining fairly well.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Petra, I'm not giving up.

It does come as a little bit of a surprise how slow the gains have gotten. But I intend to keep plugging away at it. It does seem to me that maybe 100 is really all that is needed in this case. My cu is completely picked out on points, all skills saving healing and discord are at their respective caps. Healing will cap at 110 and discord will cap at 120, with discord currently 96.4. And so far she does well with everything I've pointed her at. Navery is probably the biggest I've sent her up against and she's good at tanking Navery too.

So I'll just keep plugging away and eventually she'll get done. But this does have me wondering if I made more then one goof with another cu I have. On that one, I went 120 healing. That one is also skill capped in everything but healing and spellweaving. As for the first goof on that cu, I took steal life, I can only say that was my very first pet I put through the new training system

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I seem to remember that I did use Kylie Kinslayer's solution of telling the pet 'all stop'. I sort of decided to keep my Cu a 'warrior', so put chiv on her. Biggest thing I've set her against is paragon balron. With her damage type exactly matching it's weakest resists she chews through that faster than any pet I've ever used on them.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just let mine do its thing with the Rune Beetles. They keep him poisoned up real good.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra, I'm not giving up.

It does come as a little bit of a surprise how slow the gains have gotten. But I intend to keep plugging away at it. It does seem to me that maybe 100 is really all that is needed in this case. My cu is completely picked out on points, all skills saving healing and discord are at their respective caps. Healing will cap at 110 and discord will cap at 120, with discord currently 96.4. And so far she does well with everything I've pointed her at. Navery is probably the biggest I've sent her up against and she's good at tanking Navery too.

So I'll just keep plugging away and eventually she'll get done. But this does have me wondering if I made more then one goof with another cu I have. On that one, I went 120 healing. That one is also skill capped in everything but healing and spellweaving. As for the first goof on that cu, I took steal life, I can only say that was my very first pet I put through the new training system
Steal life has some unintended benefits :)

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Summoned, I have discord on my cu and they fixed the issue with cu's using discord on themselves.

Tyrath, I has gone to Beetlescape and just stayed close enough to toss a g-heal when needed but she slaughters them otherwise.
I'm also curious about your comment concerning steal life having some unintended benefits? Would make me feel a little if I knew more.

As for what I'm seeing, I may ask a guildmate to discord her and see if anything changes.

Summoned

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not talking about a cu discordant it self...? I said was you can no longer discord them to make their healing drop. Discord will now drop everything but healing.

Summoned, I have discord on my cu and they fixed the issue with cu's using discord on themselves.

Tyrath, I has gone to Beetlescape and just stayed close enough to toss a g-heal when needed but she slaughters them otherwise.
I'm also curious about your comment concerning steal life having some unintended benefits? Would make me feel a little if I knew more.

As for what I'm seeing, I may ask a guildmate to discord her and see if anything changes.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Sorry sir, I misunderstood you. I can only blame myself for replying late at night instead of going to sleep.

If that's the case, I guess I'll just keep hoping for gains as I fight things. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think Disco still actually works only Animal Lore just doesn't display the reduction. I just finished up a cu with 110 healing by disco'ing it and having it slaughter Slimes. The gains were much faster than trying to kill RC's without disco.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Had a guild friend helped me with discord now for 2 whisperings and her skill went from 101.7 to 104.4!
He's going to help with one more for tonight and then I'll try and figure out where to go from there. Really wish I had discord, but I'm pretty sure that skill is lost to me as I never found the stone I had it on.

*edit* We did 3 more whispers the last one had zero gains but overall we got her to 105.9. I'm glad this worked, at least to the point it's at now. I'll give her a break and try this again soon.

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Disco still actually works only Animal Lore just doesn't display the reduction. I just finished up a cu with 110 healing by disco'ing it and having it slaughter Slimes. The gains were much faster than trying to kill RC's without disco.
Do you do this on the normal slimes or the acid ones?

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The acid slugs don't poison, do they? So we assume the regular slimes there?
On a side note, we have trained our lion at the Rotting Corpses in Doom for a while, and were amazed he seems to gain much better than our Cu ever did. We couldn't get our Cu to even GM in the distant past, even though we spend a loooot of time having it fight the RCs in Ilsh (north of the desert) and even longer ago in Covetous 4. But now our lion is progressing nicely past the GM mark. Went from 94.7 to 99.8 in several hours, and onwards to 102.6 in our next run (without Discord). Has it become easier or was our Cu extremely slow? Of course, the Whisper helps a lot (on a level II primer), but even so.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disco it helps a lot - even it dont lower the healing skill, it lowers everything else - so healing get more difficult and give better gains. It is slow up to 110 and very slow after that. I used a disco and a nox mage to get mine to 115 - seems the only way to go in normal gain frame.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Disco it helps a lot - even it dont lower the healing skill, it lowers everything else - so healing get more difficult and give better gains. It is slow up to 110 and very slow after that. I used a disco and a nox mage to get mine to 115 - seems the only way to go in normal gain frame.
Discord does actually lower the Healing skill, it just doesn't display it accurately on the Lore window. Hence why a Cu normally stops gaining Healing at 90.0 from just healing regular damage, but when discorded can gain past 90.0 from healing just regular damage.

I use Nox Mage to train after 90 so it gains Resist at the same time.
Resist is usually the very first thing that i train on most pets. I'll take my pet to Old Haven, get about 8-12 Spellbinders on him, and just sit there and let him gain. He usually GMs Resist in one Whisper session, then after that STR and DEX will quickly raise to 125 if they're below that. Having 125 DEX makes it a lot faster training the melee skills.

I'm currently training 5 Snakes up to 125 DEX/GM Wrest/GM Poisoning on another account, so that i can use them to train Healing on the Cu Sidhes of my characters or my guild mates. Discord the Cu Sidhe, run Empowerment or Consume Damage on it (to keep the snake's bites from dealing damage, while giving the pet some additional HPR to counter the poison tick damage), then sick the snakes on it, and let the Cu cure itself. With 5 snakes that have 125 DEX/GM Wrest/GM Poisoning, the Cu should be kept near constantly DPed/Lethaled, making for great Healing gains, especially when Discorded.

Last edited:

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Was out of town for a week. Now I’m back and filled out the first round of training on my cu. I went ahead and tossed a 120 heal scroll on her and started to work healing up seriously, as I want that done before I add her magic.
She’s gaining atm, 81 halfway through her 2nd whisper. Doubt I’ll hit 120 tonight, or 100 either but will try to get it done before I go for the next round of training.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Was out of town for a week. Now I’m back and filled out the first round of training on my cu. I went ahead and tossed a 120 heal scroll on her and started to work healing up seriously, as I want that done before I add her magic.
She’s gaining atm, 81 halfway through her 2nd whisper. Doubt I’ll hit 120 tonight, or 100 either but will try to get it done before I go for the next round of training.
Most likely unless you have some serious grinding hours to put in won’t hit 120 for a few days and that’s with a lot of time even then. I paid my roommate that doesn’t work to sit and cast the poisons on mine to do it while she did her schoolwork.
I think it took, with whispers running every chance possible about 60 hours or so to complete.
Happy training!

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Discord does actually lower the Healing skill, it just doesn't display it accurately on the Lore window. Hence why a Cu normally stops gaining Healing at 90.0 from just healing regular damage, but when discorded can gain past 90.0 from healing just regular damage.

Resist is usually the very first thing that i train on most pets. I'll take my pet to Old Haven, get about 8-12 Spellbinders on him, and just sit there and let him gain. He usually GMs Resist in one Whisper session, then after that STR and DEX will quickly raise to 125 if they're below that. Having 125 DEX makes it a lot faster training the melee skills.

I'm currently training 5 Snakes up to 125 DEX/GM Wrest/GM Poisoning on another account, so that i can use them to train Healing on the Cu Sidhes of my characters or my guild mates. Discord the Cu Sidhe, run Empowerment or Consume Damage on it (to keep the snake's bites from dealing damage, while giving the pet some additional HPR to counter the poison tick damage), then sick the snakes on it, and let the Cu cure itself. With 5 snakes that have 125 DEX/GM Wrest/GM Poisoning, the Cu should be kept near constantly DPed/Lethaled, making for great Healing gains, especially when Discorded.
That's a lot of time spent skilling snakes, and how do you keep them from getting killed?

Seems like it would be a lot easier to just take your cu to an area that has a lot of wild snakes around and get 8 of them to attack the pet.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's a lot of time spent skilling snakes, and how do you keep them from getting killed?

Seems like it would be a lot easier to just take your cu to an area that has a lot of wild snakes around and get 8 of them to attack the pet.
The 5 Snakes are done now. They work extremely well for training the Cu's Healing, don't even need to discord the Cu. 5 Snakes with 125 DEX/Stam, and GM Wrest/Poisoning are constantly landing hits and Poisoning the Cu with DP-Lethal, even though my Cu has 120 Wrest and 120 Parry. To keep the Cu from killing the Snakes, i simply order the Cu to follow me. That'll make it ignore being attacked, and all it'll do is attempt to cure itself with bandages.
Wild snakes wouldn't be landing hits anywhere near the rate that the trained Snakes are, neither would they be inflicting DP-Lethal. Plus, this way i can also use my 5 Snakes to train the Healing on guildies' pets.

Last edited:

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I’d like to know too. How did you skill them up? Shadow elemental?

Would a wolf spider do the same thing? I have one of those, with GM poisoning already.

Right now, I use the dimetrosaurs for healing, they do the job nicely.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think I’m about 9 hours into training healing on this “slow to gain” healing cu. However, I may need to change that title, seeing as she hit 110.3 healing as I’m typing this.
I’m going to sit here for a bit longer, then call it for the night. I’ll continue this on the weekend, if I have time. I might go shopping for a car, my current daily driver has been costing a lot to keep it running. ;(

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How did you skill up the snakes without them getting killed? They have very low hp.
I started them off by having them GM Resist from Spectral Spellbinders at range, and let the Spellbinders continue casting on the Snake until it reached 125 STR/125 DEX. Had to train each Snake individually like this. Then once all 5 snakes had reached 125 STR/125 DEX/GM Resist, i had them training on a disarmed Gregorio while another pet tanked. Once they got around to 60s Wrest/Tact, i discorded the snakes, and they continued gaining on Gregorio until their 80s Wrest/Tact. Then i took them to the Shadow Ore Ele, and had them attack it while another pet tanked until the snakes reached GM Wrest/GM Tact. Then i tamed a fresh Dimetrosaur on another char, and had all 5 snakes attack it while running Consume Damage on the Dimetrosaur. They were easily able to land hits on the Dimetrosaur due to it's 50s Wrest vs their GM Wrest, and they would repeatedly attempt to Poison it, which it was completely immune to. Made for good Anat/Poisoning gains.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Had a busy day, otherwise I’m pretty sure I could have seen more gains.
With that said, another 3 hours and she went from 110.3 to 115.4. Not a bad run for so little time.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I got healing done! All told, I believe I invested about 18-19 hours into getting her from 74 to 120.
I used dimetrosaurs for this. Someone had rounded up 4 plus other stuff the last 2 days.
My advice, discord your pet after 100 and consume damage is your friend. Even if she dies during the final round of training, it won’t take too much effort to get it back. My reason for doing this now and not after the 2 rounds of training is simple. I intend to put mysticism on this cu. and mysticism has a heal/cure, which I feel would make gaining healing harder.