• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gaining Honesty

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Everytime I happen upon a lost item, I'm not with a character who has forensic evaluation skill. Can I log off with the lost item until I soul on some forensics? Or Can I give the item to another of my characters so he/she use forensics on it?

So basically what I'm asking is does the person who finds the item and picks it up, does that person have to stay logged in and/or hand the item in?

Oh yea, more importantly, is it worth gaining Honesty? How big is the discount. I saw on some post that it is 30 gold for 300 purchase. Does that mean 10%, because that is big. Or is that 30 gold a straight number. And does that affect selling to NPCs as well? How long does it take to gain large amounts of honesty? or see this discount?

Thanks

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can set it down, trade it, stick it a secure, whatever you need to do. The only limit is the 3 hour timer from the moment you pick it up.

Anyone can forensics it. Or, you can find the lost items container and turn it in for 1/4 what it would be worth if fully identified and given to the correct person (or 1/2 if just taken to the right city's turn in box)
Anyone can turn it in.

The amount saved is a percentage (purchases from NPCs only) - however, the more saved, the more the virtue progress drops (for example, some people found that while you could save a lot buying the 8 pieces to activate the Kotl City from the guy at the Moonglow Lyceaum (about 150-200k), it would drop the virtue from knight to barely at the follower level.

For me, it took something between 60-80 items fully identified and delivered to go from nothing to knight (two trips about a week apart, in Trammel on a low pop shard). Typically, it takes another 3-10 items to get it back, after a lot of small stuff makes it drop.

The easiest way to gain is to set aside 3-4 hours one day. You'll need a mount (A giant beetle is good for storage of the items found), and a rune book/atlas of the islands of Britannia. You'll want to do this on one facet (though you could conceivably do it on both tram and fel on different days).

You might want to have bags in the beetle to sort by half-hour of searching. You'll not want to search for more than 2 hours at a time, give or take. 90-120 minutes is typical.

1. Recall to all the islands. Go around their shores, looking for items on the ground. On the smaller islands, check the interiors. Look for stuff laying out in the open, and pick it up. The better islands appear to be Moonglow, New Magincia, and Buc's Den, though I've found stuff on every island except Ice, though typically not in a guard zone (surprisingly, there's even a couple spots on Skara where items show up, and the north end of the central Jhelom island is often good for a few items).
  2. Next, recall to outside the Blighted Grove, and go ESE to where the mountains meet the sea. Start there, and follow the shore, and DO A LAP OF THE BRITANNIA COAST, until you hit the other side of that mountain coming up the coast from Skara. Look for items within a screen of the coast (object handles using CTRL-SHIFT is your friend). IF you hit the suggested time limit, remember where you stopped, and head back.
Typically, you can go around the continent, and some of the islands, in 2 hours. Once you get used to it, you might be able to do both 1 & 2 above in 2 hours. This will typically be a haul of 25-50 honesty items, if no one has made such a search in the last week or two, as items tend to not decay (or timer start), unless a server reset harder than a daily maintenance hits. Replacement items seem to be slow, a few every few hours (a trip 2-3 days after my first only found about 20 items, after I had almost 50 the first time).

At the time point, you go back, and forensics the items, starting with the first half-hour's bag (which at this point has items under 60-90 minutes). Forensic Eval items for about 30 minutes (if you have a forensics in the 70s or better, you might be able to do 20-50 items), writing down the items sorted by city, and by NPC name under city (and note the staleness of the item). Deliver items by city or age (you might lose a couple by city if you wait 2 hours to study, but by city is is more efficient overall).

All of the NPCs you will be looking for are Yellow, and are either "Peasant" or "Noble" types (watch out for random NPCs that might have the same name in a different profession). Be aware of just how big Yew and Britain are in terms of farms, and how far out you can find NPCs. You might have a friend scout the cities for you as you're delivering. IF items look to be going to expire because you can't find the specific person, just drop them at the lost and found boxes until you get to items that aren't in immediate danger.

Options:
One of the reasons why the coasts are good, is that if an item's random spawn puts it on water, the server moves it to a nearby shore, within a screen of the shoreline.

IF you or others have already cleaned up the shorelines of the islands and continent, the next best place to check is along the bases of the mountains (as the same thing happens if the item would be underground due to a mountain, popping it to the nearest legal spot). The last resort is to just search cross-country - the Trinsic Jungle from coast to coast, and the woods between Yew, Wrong and Minoc tend to have a few pieces.

In all, while it takes a bit of effort to initially get to knight, maintaining it is actually fairly easy (a few new items every time you see it drop). The last time I raised it up, I collected about 30 items, but only needed 10 to get to knight. The other 20, I gave to a friend, guided them through the cities looking for the owners, and got them half-way from seeker to follower on my leftovers.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Couple more questions plz: I have a char with GM forensics and even though I can find the specific NPC, I'm having trouble finding them. LOL
About half the time I end up just dropping in the bin in the specific town. Which still aint bad, but gains are slow. Like you said, it takes a couple of hours to go up a couple of bubbles.
  1. Is there a website with all the yellow NPC locations?, having trouble finding them especially in Yew.
  2. How much hosesty do you lose when you use it(how many bubbles)? I thinking of not using that char to buy anything until I have a large purchase to make.
  3. Does it come off automatically when buy from an NPC or do you have to activate it in the virtue gump?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It comes off automatically when you purchase something.

Also I've found that just dumping the items in a lost and found box in Fel gives you more gains so I don't even bother with the forensics anymore.

As for the NPC locations, they tend to wander but not very far, Yew is a tough one you just have to run around a lot!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It comes off automatically - though it may take many small purchases to drop 1 bubble. A large purchase can cause a multi-bubble drop.

There's no website for the locations because the NPCs involve are all wandering NPCs. However, they do follow certain rules as noted before (all will be "The Noble" or "The Peasant", and will move.) NPCs of different professions but the same name can and do exist - you just got to make sure you don't waste an item on them. Ignore blue/red NPCs, and any that are rooted in place.

Most cities are fairly limited in scope. But, others are a pain. It's why I sort by city as I find the names/locations, and work on one city at a time..
  1. Yew can be anywhere from the Abbey, to the court, to the farm on the other side of the bay, and down to the farms SW of the graveyard. It's one of the harder cities to search, so I typically try to deliver there last (and I have a house there, so one would think I'd start there - but I'm not crazy).
  2. Britain can be either side of the city, in the castles, in the graveyard, or into the farms. However, it tends to be a lot more organized because of the street layout. I usually do it next to last.
  3. Jhelom requires searching all 3 islands (the middle island is notorious for having the NPCs up on the uninhabited area (which also can be a lost item hot spot), while the north island rarely has NPCs). And, inside the pit is a common NPC location.
  4. Vesper can have people on islands or either mainland section - and rarely even on the islands INSIDE the city that have no buildings or access without a boat.
  5. The rest are rather straightforward.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
*UPDATE!*

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance! No, but I bought 500 empty bottles from a vendor and they wanted 5k for them. And I got them for 4500, so I saved 500 gold! And am only a seeker. I'm about halfway through the 2nd tier of Honesty. After the purchase, I checked and it didn't look like I lost any bubbles. :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It typically takes a lot of small purchases, or a couple of bigger ones, to cause a drop.

Usually I can do 5-10 or more trade orders before I get a drop - but I keep a bag of looted regs, and another bag of looted gems, in my bank specifically for trade orders (plus some of the common stackable things like leather, feathers, arrows, bolts, etc.)

I think I lost 5-6 bubbles at once, though, buying the Kotl pieces over at the Moonglow Lyceaum that cost around 100k each before discount. Can't remember if I bought just one (to get into Zipactriotl) or bought the full 8 to get the Kotl City running. (I saved a decent amount of money, but don't need to do that anymore now that I have a GM Detect character that can get them from the Kotl City hidden chests).

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
I'm a knight now! I know it seems like a long time but I don't play every day and I work on my Honesty even less. LOL

On a slightly different note, I also have characters who are knights of spirituality, compassion and honor, how do I apply those titles to my character? I don't see them available to choose from in the titles menu.

Last edited: