• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Gaining from Unravelling

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kinda meandering post here, but....

The prevailing opinion appears to be that you should unravel well into the seventies, before switching to actually using imbuing to gain. However, I'm at 58.x, and am having a beast of a time gaining.

I've been killing arctic ogre lords (primarily because it's the toughest thing I can kill without an epic struggle, I just use ogre slayer spellbook), and taking bags of about 50 items looted (I loot every item except the clubs (of course)). Now, however, I'm getting about .1 from each bag that I unravel. Is this a typical result, or are the items I'm getting too weak to give me good gains?

If the problem is the quality of the items, is there any chance someone can suggest a slightly better option than the AOL?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this a typical result, or are the items I'm getting too weak to give me good gains?

If the problem is the quality of the items, is there any chance someone can suggest a slightly better option than the AOL?
You need to increase the quality of the items you are unravelling. As your skill increases, you will need to unravel items with increasingly higher total intensities. There are two ways you can try to increase the intensity of the items: Luck and tougher monsters. What is your Luck at when you kill the Arctics?

Are you mostly getting Magical Residues? Around that skill level, I included more items that unravelled to Enchanted Essences. Also, since you are dry looting, you are picking up more items that don't contribute to gaining skill. Be more selective in what you take. You will find that you get more gains per unravelling bag.

You may also want to try killing Toxic Sliths or Undead Gargoyles.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, I'll try the sliths. I would guess I get about 10/1 residue/essence. (My luck is 0, btw.)

L

LordZahn

Get some luck gear. I am doing the exact same thing as you are killing Arctic Ogre Lords for loot. Except I am still getting about 3 gains per bag and im at like 78 right now. Im averaging about 100 res and 30 residue a bag now. Although my bags probably average about 60-70 items each time depending on stones. My luck is bit over 1200 at the moment.

J

[JD]

I unravelled to GM skill. Probably saved me a boat load of cash. And I got to train pets and melee classes along the way...

The reason you aren't gaining is you are loading up with items where you have no idea how high level they are. At 58 you would think you are low enough to get gains but thats not true.

You need to be able to tell what weight the items are that you loot, and ONLY loot the high weight items. Eg. You see plate legs with sub par resists and maybe RPD and luck on them. Or, you see a shield with Mage Armor, Spell Channeling, and FC1. Well, that shield has 3 high intensity mods on it... loot the shield, ditch the legs.

A better method is to use the enhanced client and copper_enhanced. It will tell you exactly the weight of the item. Save anything which will unravel for skill gain.

Typically weapons and jewelry have the highest weight. Armor seems to not be as good in most cases. I guess that is because there are so many high intensity mods: balanced, spell channel, mage weapon, fc, fcr, night sight, etc.

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the thing is, I'm pretty poor. And I use a LRC suit, which has both crappy resists, and absolutely no luck. I'd try to improve on it, but...my imbuing sucks. :O

Seriously, though, I might give a shot at making some adjustments, and getting some luck and seeing how it goes. I know that looting all the items is wasteful, but I try to balance speed with efficiency. Of course, since I stand still and wait for the next AOL, it's probably pretty stupid, now that I think of it. :p

Edit: And I'm, sadly, not a fan of the EC. So the mod everyone talks about is probably out.

Mark Trail

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck Statue

Hit one of the luck statues before you go out hunting. They are locked down in many vendor houses and give an hour of increased luck.

I used a bowyer and oak or yew wood with a regular fletcher's kit. Make bags of regular bows and unravel them (Arms lore helps). Or make daggers with gold ingots using a smith who has arms lore.