• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fuel prices

K

Kazar

I just want to know what you people think about the price of fuel (diesel) how come it's higher than gas? Diesel is a bi-product of gas and 20 years ago it was 20 cents cheaper than gas. Now it's 20 cents higher than gas! Give me your input!

K

Kazar

Also when the big gas companies came out with unleaded gas they charged more for it. Gas is refined unleaded and back in the day they had to add the lead to it. And when unleaded gas made it's debut they charged 10 cents more per gallon. So....my question is.....why did they charge more for a product that was already unleaded?

P

prison bound

economics, plain and simple. as supply drops, demand increases... along with the price. diesel has been in high demand due to more non-commercial diesel usage in the U.S. and the 'Iraqi War'. the war is probably the biggest culprit; can you imagine how much diesel fuel is being used by it right now?

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the war is probably the biggest culprit; can you imagine how much diesel fuel is being used by it right now?
I think that actually pales in comparison to the amount used by boats, trucks and normal cars. I couldn't find any solid figures only that there's around 175k soldiers in Iraq. I doubt they can make more than 1% difference.

And pah, US folks are still lucky with your fuel prices. The prices in the Netherlands have risen by over 34% in 3 years (€1.6/$2.5 per liter [=~1/4gallon] so $10 per gallon). 2/3rd of our fuel prices are made up out of taxes.
And don't get me started on car prices (the cheapest Chrysler 300c here costs $75.000..).

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Totally agree Kaj , here in Germany Gas prices are just as bad :gun:

Elffin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I read somewhere the other day a 65 Gallon tank of fuel in the UK costs £75 to fill, £31 of that is the cost of the fuel and the other £44 is tax... Welcome to rip off britain...

Elf.

P.S. Also did a check on the 300C Chrysler, we didn't fare to bad there, the Diesel touring model is only 26,499.00 British pounds sterling = 52,200.38 US dollars.

E

eolsunder

Its very simple. Refineries can only refine so much oil into gas/diesel. When the prices of oil started skyrocketing and prices at the pump started going up, the oil companies running the refineries decided to produce more regular gas than diesel, because they believed the big companies that run trucks could absorb the higher cost easier, thus less complaining.

Which would you rather have complain, the regular consumer numbering alot, or the bigger companies numbering less. So the decision was to make more regular gas, less diesel. Yep, Diesel went from being cheaper than unleaded to alot more because refineries decided.. lets stick to making the mass of common folk happy and hope they don't complain too much.

S

Sunrise

Well speaking from the states first off..The gas in Europe and so forth. Isnt most of that price used for taxes?

Ok second the demand for gas has dropped here in the states. More people are car pooling BIG time. and conserving there fuel as much as they can. But thy price still keeps going up.

We are buying smaller cars with better gas millage. Our SUVs are now sold. The goverment gets very little from the taxs of gas. But they do get some. Not like other countrys I know of tho. So why is it still going up? the middle east sees whats happening and has said Ok heres more oil...

Its greed simple as that. Thy gas companies are giving it there all to make there money and then run. People are finding other ways to fuel by sun and wind so forth and so on. Thats what I think about high gas prices. Its the oil companys taking the money and running.

E

Emil IsTemp

I live in the greater Chicagoland area.. I pay the most for gas in America, and I have the highest (10.25%) sales tax.. (11.25% downtown)

:shots:

E

Elbryan Uthador

I live in the greater Chicagoland area.. I pay the most for gas in America, and I have the highest (10.25%) sales tax.. (11.25% downtown)

:shots:
That is why for my family's vacation this year we are flying to Chicago and using the rail system to get around.