• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

From the "Official" Forum regarding Shard Sheilds

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Quoted from @Petra Fyde (Hope you don't mind but I don't/won't post over there but this was said so well...

Maybe I'm over sensitive, but I always feel attacked when people start on with 'shard shields'. I have just a few, I didn't buy my accounts from anyone. My account age matches my start date. I am most definitely NOT an 'oligarch'. I, and a lot of others who have them, use my shields to transfer items not only to and from my own characters, but also those of friends and alliance mates. Many, many people offer free 'rides' for items for other people. I emphatically do not use them for trading.

Sure there are some that use them more selfishly, but please, please don't tar all shard shield owners with the same brush! Many, maybe even most, are generous and sharing with the facility.
I feel the same way... 100% ... I don't use my shard shields to "rob" from other shards and sell on Atl at over inflated prices... Even though I have shields to every shard (save of course Seige and Mugen as that would be as useless of a pic as a vet robe)... and I also transfer things for friends, people who ask, and alliance mates... free of charge though if they want to pay me I'm happy to take it... Most my shields sit full and I rarely go anywhere with them unless its to get something specific or special like my round trips to pick up a bunch of the wheelbarrows off other shards and bring them home (something I still haven't finished doing I think I still have 5 or 6 shards to get picked up... but for the most part I don't really go anywhere with them for myself. Sometimes to set up a new tamer somewhere... but that's about it.

Mostly I go because someone asked me to take something somewhere and/or bring something back to their shard. Which often IMO I'm more than happy to do if it makes the person more likely to stay in UO then why the heck not? I want people to stay and keep loving UO. Even if my love of the game continues to wane I don't want to see people get frustrated and leave because they feel they can't or won't ever be able to use shard shields...

Ask about I'm sure there are dozens of other who would be willing to do the same thing... even some of the Rares people would probably let you hitch a ride... some announce their trips here or on other forums like Discord servers...

And Feel free to poke me on Discord I'm MalagAste#1313... I quit using ICQ, for the most part, I only bring it up once in a purple moonrise ......

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Quoted from @Petra Fyde (Hope you don't mind but I don't/won't post over there but this was said so well...

I feel the same way... 100% ... I don't use my shard shields to "rob" from other shards and sell on Atl at over inflated prices... Even though I have shields to every shard (save of course Seige and Mugen as that would be as useless of a pic as a vet robe)... and I also transfer things for friends, people who ask, and alliance mates... free of charge though if they want to pay me I'm happy to take it... Most my shields sit full and I rarely go anywhere with them unless its to get something specific or special like my round trips to pick up a bunch of the wheelbarrows off other shards and bring them home (something I still haven't finished doing I think I still have 5 or 6 shards to get picked up... but for the most part I don't really go anywhere with them for myself. Sometimes to set up a new tamer somewhere... but that's about it.

Mostly I go because someone asked me to take something somewhere and/or bring something back to their shard. Which often IMO I'm more than happy to do if it makes the person more likely to stay in UO then why the heck not? I want people to stay and keep loving UO. Even if my love of the game continues to wane I don't want to see people get frustrated and leave because they feel they can't or won't ever be able to use shard shields...

Ask about I'm sure there are dozens of other who would be willing to do the same thing... even some of the Rares people would probably let you hitch a ride... some announce their trips here or on other forums like Discord servers...

And Feel free to poke me on Discord I'm MalagAste#1313... I quit using ICQ, for the most part, I only bring it up once in a purple moonrise ......
Exactly, I use xfer tokens a lot because I have my original account but took breaks over 18 years, so it's only at 13 years. I don't think I've ever xferred for commerce or items. I move toons around, meet new people, and try and help people. While I feel xfer tokens should be much cheaper on the official store (so people like me don't have to pay 160m per round trip), I have no problems with shard shields. IMO make xfers 5$ and I'll buy them from the official store instead of vendors. I think a lot of people are mad because they feel it hurts economy. Realistically the economy on other shards isn't good because there aren't enough players, not shard shields. Opening up xfers for a low price will allow more people to move around, maybe some will stick on your shards (even part time). If they removed xfers/shields from game I'd prob close my account.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't feel like I need to justify that I've paid for an account since it's inception and have access to a veteran reward because of it. It's a customer loyalty program.

I have posted several times offering free transferring of items or pets between shards. The only people to ever take me up on it are guildmates.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There are plenty of people like Petra who use their shard shields to help other people, like anything there are always bad apples that spoil the barrel, who can blame people for using something that was given to them for paying and playing? I don't have a problem with people HAVING and USING the shard shields, I just think that bringing them into the game in the first place wasn't the best idea and it did do some harm.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There are plenty of people like Petra who use their shard shields to help other people, like anything there are always bad apples that spoil the barrel, who can blame people for using something that was given to them for paying and playing? I don't have a problem with people HAVING and USING the shard shields, I just think that bringing them into the game in the first place wasn't the best idea and it did do some harm.
I think they saw the writing on the wall. Some shards were going to be almost completely empty. I'd guess they wanted a way to help paying vets move shards easier. I do agree it caused harm to economies, but I'm still happy people can move around easier.

Edit: lots of my toons are now on a low pop server which I never would have done before. And no, I don't farm then return to atl to sell :) I just enjoy different shards.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Considering the very real fact some of our shards are in death mode?

1, I think its totally horrible... and something should be done to breathe some life back in to the game...

2, You basically have 2 types of players. Those who dont play well with others... who want and fully desire playing and living on shards with low population... even on Japanese shards where they cant even have a simple conversation... something they prefer, so they can play alone with some ability to access other's fruits of labor via vendors. Then you have the type of player who LOVES community. Loves to play with friends or strangers, happy. Or loves to irritate others, stealing hunting spots and being general A-Holes... because it happens all the time. Why shouldn't both types have freedom to have choice? Just like when the pre-Tram players did nothing but sit around the West Brit Bank crying like a child about how Tram ruined the game... but yet they wouldnt stay in Fel. The staff made Siege! Granted, I dont think its fair to only have 1 guy per account. Some people love it! Some people DO swear off ever leaving Fel. Some people just love murdering each other. Its not for me... but whatever makes them happy. :)

Then you have 3... who are about commerce. Whos to say what they do with the shard shields? People QUIT all the time! They sell out ALL the time. It was going on when I started in early 2001. Selling accounts has never been bannable that I've seen. Some people really-really-really dont want to start off with a newbie account to hold an extra house... while they have a 20 year old vet main account. Cant shame them for that. Meanwhile... if you simple "buy and sell", within the shard... thats totally alright, right? Same goes for importers bring stuff home to sell from other shards... OR exporting to make money, then taking it home.

Honestly, it can suck at times... like never finding power scrolls you need... BUT who's fault is that? :cool: Staff raised the demand 3000% and less hunters lowers the spawn countless fold.

Atlantic sellers can be the most greedy in all of UO. Trouble is... the market is just the same as any real life town. "Demand". And we have no eBay to get gear from other states, delivered by UPS. hehe. If someone can be trusted to move something from shard A to shard B? Why not? No harm.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree with Petra's post completely. I've had every shard shield there is since they first came out. I've done over 1,000 transfers with them. That should make me one of the most hated "shard shield oligarchs who are destroying other shards" by some people's logic... except only about 50 of those transfers were for myself. All the rest were done for other people who don't have their own shard shields, usually helping them bring gear/scrolls to their characters on other shards so they can play there (thus actually increasing the level of activity on those shards) or helping them scoop up the items they've collected in banks over the years and bring them to their home shard where they can use them. It doesn't take away from the economy of a shard because the items would have remained sitting in their bank there uselessly forever anyway if I didn't help with it.

I realize it's kind of annoying for those who don't have them to not have the same access to transfers, but at this point there are so many people who are willing to do transfers for free for their friends it doesn't take very long to get a ride to anywhere you need to go anyway.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Click bait!
:p

(I was hoping the devs had posted that they were somehow removing them...)

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe they should change them from a 14th year reward to 10th year?

Ten years is still an awful long time to subscribe in the MMO world. That's between $1200 and $1680 depending upon how you sub and if your state charges tax. Not even including all the additional cost of upgrades and expansions.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The problem is not shard shield owners and never has been. So to all shard shield owners: it's not about you.

That there are plenty of people willing to give free rides is great, and kudos to all who do. But it is completely irrelevant to the core of the problem. The problem has absolutely nothing to do with anyone who actually has shields.

The problem is unequal distribution of secure access to a huge economic advantage. That this advantage is based on a factor that may or may not have actually been earned by the person using it (since people can and do purchase accounts primarily for the shard shields) is just salt in the wound.

There is no part of this game that has required secure transfer of anything based on trusting other players that has not had to be made secure for everyone.

Once upon a time, house trading was not secure and pretty much required trusting the other person or trusting a broker. Scams abounded. People got cheated. People quit. They put in secure house trading to fix it and we were all the better for it.

Once upon a time, large gold transactions were not secure and pretty much required trusting the other person or trusting a broker. Scams abounded. People got cheated. People quit. They put in checks and we were all the better for it. Eventually checks weren't enough either. Scams abounded. People got cheated. People quit. They put in the currency conversion, and we were all the better for it.

Right now, moving items or gold across shards is not secure... unless you have shard shields or fork out $20 for a one way trip. If you think people don't get cheated and maybe even quit, I don't know what to say. All the kindness of an honest shard shield holder is irrelevant to the person who gets scammed by a dishonest one because their account was too young and they couldn't or didn't want to pay more than a months' subscription price for a single one way move.

It's almost impossible to buy some things without going to Atlantic. It's almost impossible to sell some things without going to Atlantic. For better or worse, we have a central marketplace, and not everyone can participate securely.

Secure house exchange was not granted only to people of a certain account age. Use of the new currency system was not limited only to people of a certain account age.

It's great that people give free rides with their shard shields. But it's not about you, and if you think it is then I challenge you to think long and hard about why you think that.

It's about everyone. It's about equal access to what has become the de facto trade norm. It's about security, which has had to be added to many other aspects of the game because even though there are good and honest and helpful people out there, secure and equal individual capability will always be better for the whole of the playerbase.

If nothing else, the disparity between older and younger accounts' access to cross shard movement is an extra and unnecessary barrier to new and returning players' potential success. They get so far, realize they need something they can't get where they are, get told to go to Atlantic, and have to choose: 1) trust someone they may or may not know, 2) buy a token that costs more than a month of game time (and a second one if they intend to come back) or 3) buy an account from a third party. None of those are good choices.

If you really want to help players who don't have shields, then advocate for their equal access to secure cross shard movement instead of insisting their dependency is a good thing because YOU are honest. Because it's not about you.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe they should change them from a 14th year reward to 10th year?

Ten years is still an awful long time to subscribe in the MMO world. That's between $1200 and $1680 depending upon how you sub and if your state charges tax.
I still think lowering xfer token prices to 5$ would even things out. Imagine being able to transfer shards for 20m (1/4 of current atl price). I think a lot more would be sold from the official store instead of gold sites (which most are non vendorable, and assumed duped). I think that's fair, as of now you could get 2 transfer tokens through gold sellers for the price of one from the official store. It makes no sense.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I still think lowering xfer token prices to 5$ would even things out. Imagine being able to transfer shards for 20m (1/4 of current atl price). I think a lot more would be sold from the official store instead of gold sites (which most are non vendorable, and assumed duped). I think that's fair, as of now you could get 2 transfer tokens through gold sellers for the price of one from the official store. It makes no sense.

There are a number of things of varying difficulty they could do to equalize the problem.

Drastically reducing the price of the tokens is one. (They really need to work on the "micro" aspect of "microtransaction" for a lot of things in the store.)

Drastically reducing the years requirement of shields is one. They reduced the years requirement on ethereals a zillion years ago because of the disparity they initially created, so there's even precedent.

Creating a proper trade hub (centralized land mass of some kind that characters could freely travel from their home shard and back only) that everyone could access is one. This would probably be most conducive to community interaction, but also much more difficult.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There are a number of things of varying difficulty they could do to equalize the problem.

Drastically reducing the price of the tokens is one. (They really need to work on the "micro" aspect of "microtransaction" for a lot of things in the store.)

Drastically reducing the years requirement of shields is one. They reduced the years requirement on ethereals a zillion years ago because of the disparity they initially created, so there's even precedent.

Creating a proper trade hub (centralized land mass of some kind that characters could freely travel from their home shard and back only) that everyone could access is one. This would probably be most conducive to community interaction, but also much more difficult.
I like all these ideas :)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I agree with Petra's post completely. I've had every shard shield there is since they first came out. I've done over 1,000 transfers with them. That should make me one of the most hated "shard shield oligarchs who are destroying other shards" by some people's logic... except only about 50 of those transfers were for myself. All the rest were done for other people who don't have their own shard shields, usually helping them bring gear/scrolls to their characters on other shards so they can play there (thus actually increasing the level of activity on those shards) or helping them scoop up the items they've collected in banks over the years and bring them to their home shard where they can use them. It doesn't take away from the economy of a shard because the items would have remained sitting in their bank there uselessly forever anyway if I didn't help with it.

I realize it's kind of annoying for those who don't have them to not have the same access to transfers, but at this point there are so many people who are willing to do transfers for free for their friends it doesn't take very long to get a ride to anywhere you need to go anyway.
You stated the problem people have with Shard Shields, and why the "Shard Shield Oligarchy" stigma has come about, but I don't think you see it. 1,000 transfers would cost anyone without Shard Shields around $20,000 US for enough Sovereigns to make those transfers. Yea I know there are a number of people willing to carry stuff over for free, but that isn't a guarantee, and it isn't secure. All it would take is one to two people to pull off a high profile scam to wreck the that system. Remember when the Rares Fest was scammed years ago, how big an impact and how long did that create doubt about the Rares Fests with Rares collectors the same thing could happen with transfers.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you really want to help players who don't have shields, then advocate for their equal access to secure cross shard movement instead of insisting their dependency is a good thing because YOU are honest. Because it's not about you.
I have all the shields I need. Not bragging, just prefacing that what I am saying isn't out of personal greed.

I don't care if they drop the shields to a 2nd year or 1st year reward. Would actually be glad if they did!! Would be good for the game, and not discourage the ones who only have a decade invested-and are wondering if we still be here when their time comes.

Also, they could do away with the account bound on the tokens, so we could give the extras we have to other players rather than just sitting them in a chest somewhere. If everyone could use the tokens, then they could play all shards more, and not just their home shard.

Never gonna happen, but it's a dream...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm thinking that I may have missed this being said:
Those not having something get very vocal with the "I want that! You have it and you are bad!" attitude.

A.K.A. the "gimme, gimme, gimme" frame of mind. To those who have shields and use them for the betterment and help to the community ... I for one thank you. For those who use them mostly for the betterment of the pixelated wallet/purse profits ... why? It disappears when the plug is pulled. But then again, that's my opinion ... I do not have any shields ... and you're welcome to whatever floats your boat.

G'day! <a tip of the hat and off to the mines>

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I also have SSs to every shard and have done a number of runs to help my low population shard and no I wouldn't mind them reducing the age to say 10 years but no way should they make them so we can sell the tokens, EA would lose way to much green. BS may manage UO but we all know EA controls the purse strings and EA always wants its blood money that is why BS deals in no real money transactions.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Fine.
ill be the old ******* who says it.

i see this argument like this.
on one side there are people, and lets face it they are probably older people just from the sheer fact that they where playing the game over 20 years ago, so even if they where not old when they started playing the game they are now, and they have played the game and now years later they have access to a Vet Reward that is actually useful.

on the other side there are people who may be new to the game or are coming back to the game after leaving for years and they look at the older players who can move around from shard to shard monthly and they are jealous that they can move around. regardless of why they want to be able to move around - be it financial or for pleasure or trading or collecting... they are jealous.

its human nature.
but why should i, one of the ones who started on day 1 and have been here through the good times and the ba....... awful times give up a Veteran Reward that i have earned from YEARS(!) of paying money to receive because some kids are butt hurt that they have to wait patiently until they can reach 14 years.
id imagine that this same group of people even if they DO wait till the 14 year mark will not have any picks left because - and lets face it it is not in their genetic make up - to have any picks available.

so lets use me for example.
i like Ethereal mounts. i picked a mount every time i had a reward available to me.
when shard shield came out i picked 2.
i like them, so i stopped picking ethereal mounts and now collect shields.
every year i get 2.
have i been moaning and pancakes to everyone that i no longer get ethereal mounts and have to sit and wait a year to get 2 more shields?
no.
i wait.

so when people say to me, its not fair, i say yes.
yes it is fair that you have to wait.
i had to wait.
EVERYONE had to wait!
and when people say, ohhhh its such a economic boost that some people get free shard transfers and we have to pay for it.
really?
is it really?
lets have a look at that shall we.
so, i had to wait 14 years paying $15 a month (15x12=180) ($180x14years= $2520)
so i paid $2520 before i got my first shields (2)
then i paid another 6 years to get more shields (6yearsx12= 72 payments, so 72paymentsx$15= $1080)
so now we add another $1080 to the $2520, so to get my shields i had to pay $3600 PER ACCOUNT(!!!) then you can multiply that by however many accounts you have shields on, for me its 2 (one for North American the other does all the HK ones)
so im into my shard shields for $7200.

so ok, im willing to give up my reward for being a good little UO player and keeping this game going for over 20 years with my monthly subscription and ill concede that everyone should have shard shields.... as long as you each pay $3600 cash right now to get them (per account), because as you guys like to say - its only fair that we all have access to the same things, i couldn't agree more, so its only fair that you pay what i paid.

and before you start crying that you had to pay for normal transfer tokens for years and year.... we guess what sugar tits, so did i.
and im still buying them on my other accounts.

thank you, next.

(ya ok, i sound like a Oligarch when i say all that and that is fine, ive been called worse by better, hell ive been banned from Stratics from Petra before and i came back to becoming a Moderator, i can eat crow when i need too!)

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly... I should add in to my post...

A friend and I invested in 4 Shard Shields... goodness knows how long ago. Maybe when they came out? Over 7 years ago? He had the account of age (well above), with many picks. Over 7 years ago, we didnt really have dead shards. And so... we had Rares Festivals. Not on Atlantic! Plus, I had 3 other friends with more then 4 shards. 3 of them are gone now. I trusted them all!!! Its just pixels, after all. I can make back a million gold in a slow day, back then. (Not bragging, just saying.) And not a single time did I get ripped off and all those friends were great... and I miss them... and then some.

With the 4 shards... 1 is HOME, so you can always get back. The "Traveler", stripped to a no-regs outfit, spellbook, 2 runebooks... designed for these missions. It was great for quite a while... until the shards started to die. Now only 1 is worth wild, out of the 3... and my friend asked me if we should claim more shields about 4 months ago. After I stopped laughing, I explained to him what I witnessed all over the game... not that its a laughing matter. Its just not worth wasting a Vet Pick any more! Its sad. They cant be transferred, thus worthless to sell. Plus, a new friend gained on a Japanese shard now has a full time connection made. So, some joy in the sadness.

If those of you dont know... these shields only generate 1 token per MONTH. Talk about a disappointment.

I had been wondering why I saw loads of the same shard shields in a single house. Thats why. :)

If you cant find a trusted friend to help you... you are basically allowing evil scripters powder, paying real money. So, up to you... what is the better of the 2 evils?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Fine.

on one side there are people, and lets face it they are probably older people just from the sheer fact that they where playing the game over 20 years ago, so even if they where not old when they started playing the game they are now, and they have played the game and now years later they have access to a Vet Reward that is actually useful.

on the other side there are people who may be new to the game or are coming back to the game after leaving for years and they look at the older players who can move around from shard to shard monthly and they are jealous that they can move around. regardless of why they want to be able to move around - be it financial or for pleasure or trading or collecting... they are jealous.

its human nature.
but why should i, one of the ones who started on day 1 and have been here through the good times and the ba....... awful times give up a Veteran Reward that i have earned from YEARS(!) of paying money to receive because some kids are butt hurt that they have to wait patiently until they can reach 14 years.
id imagine that this same group of people even if they DO wait till the 14 year mark will not have any picks left because - and lets face it it is not in their genetic make up - to have any picks available.

i like Ethereal mounts. i picked a mount every time i had a reward available to me.
every year i get 2.
have i been moaning and pancakes to everyone that i no longer get ethereal mounts and have to sit and wait a year to get 2 more shields?
no.
i wait.

i had to wait.
EVERYONE had to wait!
and when people say, ohhhh its such a economic boost that some people get free shard transfers and we have to pay for it.
really?
is it really?
then i paid another 6 years to get more shields (6yearsx12= 72 payments, so 72paymentsx$15= $1080)
so now we add another $1080 to the $2520, so to get my shields i had to pay $3600 PER ACCOUNT(!!!) then you can multiply that by however many accounts you have shields on, for me its 2 (one for North American the other does all the HK ones)

so ok, im willing to give up my reward for being a good little UO player and keeping this game going for over 20 years with my monthly subscription and ill concede that everyone should have shard shields.... as long as you each pay $3600 cash right now to get them (per account), because as you guys like to say - its only fair that we all have access to the same things, i couldn't agree more, so its only fair that you pay what i paid.

and before you start crying that you had to pay for normal transfer tokens for years and year.... we guess what sugar tits, so did i.

thank you, next.

(ya ok, i sound like a Oligarch when i say all that and that is fine, ive been called worse by better, hell ive been banned from Stratics from Petra before and i came back to becoming a Moderator, i can eat crow when i need too!)
In other forums I might have done a tl;dr BUT this is a topic I'm interested in because I'll be eligible for them in just a few months.

You hit the nail on the head when you said people were/are jealous! And yes, it is human nature ... unfortunately. Your post needs to be the standing rebuttal not only for shields but other vet rewards folks get yammering about.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Fine.

its human nature.

every year i get 2.
no.
i wait.

i had to wait.
EVERYONE had to wait!
really?
is it really?

thank you, next.

Good post @Poo! Spot ON !! (I will never step on you!:hahaha:) :ten:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You stated the problem people have with Shard Shields, and why the "Shard Shield Oligarchy" stigma has come about, but I don't think you see it. 1,000 transfers would cost anyone without Shard Shields around $20,000 US for enough Sovereigns to make those transfers. Yea I know there are a number of people willing to carry stuff over for free, but that isn't a guarantee, and it isn't secure. All it would take is one to two people to pull off a high profile scam to wreck the that system. Remember when the Rares Fest was scammed years ago, how big an impact and how long did that create doubt about the Rares Fests with Rares collectors the same thing could happen with transfers.
Yep, as someone without shard shields I can second that. I only don't think there is much point in this discussion at all.

It also forces everyone who wants to achieve things himself to play Atlantic, which I as an Atlantic citizen consider a plus. It only makes me chuckle when I see the same people arguing for shard shields then complain that everything centers around one shard these days.

Not even touching the point of how much fun free server transfers enable in other games. But to each their own.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, I don't mind :)

Actually, not sure if anyone but me remembers, before transfer shields were added to the game, and were only 'in concept' the idea was that they were intended for players to move shards for 'ping'. For example European folk who were playing on US shards before Europa and Drachs were added, or folk who did something similar to what the Devs themselves have done since. Moved a very long way, Austin, Texas to California, then California to Virginia. At that time they were never envisioned as something people did frequently. Of course reality is never quite the same as intention and this was all years before the vet reward shard shields were added.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No, I don't mind :)

Actually, not sure if anyone but me remembers, before transfer shields were added to the game, and were only 'in concept' the idea was that they were intended for players to move shards for 'ping'. For example European folk who were playing on US shards before Europa and Drachs were added, or folk who did something similar to what the Devs themselves have done since. Moved a very long way, Austin, Texas to California, then California to Virginia. At that time they were never envisioned as something people did frequently. Of course reality is never quite the same as intention and this was all years before the vet reward shard shields were added.
If they wanted to help people that moved and have bad ping, they would have offered a free 1 time transfer. Instead they gave people up to 100$s of dollars a month worth of xfer tokens. I think people are upset because they have to pay so much to transfer, not that vets get them free. We all know that the plug could be pulled at any time, and younger accounts just want to be on the same playing field transfer wise. I understand vet rewards are for people who paid for many years and this is a BONUS for them. But IMHO 14 years is too long to make new players wait for such a good reward. Again if they leveled the field a LITTLE bit (like some ideas brought up here), people would feel less upset. I could care less about shard shields, lower the price of store tokens and I'll start buying them from the official store instead of VS.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did say that was the idea while 'in concept'. What the Devs at that time had in mind, it was turned into the current money making version between concept and implementation. As is so often the case in many industries, ideas get corrupted when you let the accountants in on the act.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
younger accounts just want to be on the same playing field transfer wise.
I'm sorry, but exactly why SHOULD younger accounts be on the same "playing field"? The accounts with shields PAID 14 years worth of subscriptions to be able to have them. I would be fine with an option of "paying up" your account to be able to get shard shields. Pay $120 per year, and get all you want. But to just say that younger accounts deserve everything older accounts have EARNED is silly, and delusional.

In both RL AND UO, NOT EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO EVERYTHING!!!! You have to earn it.

In real life, some people have a lot more "stuff" than others ($$$, homes, cars, whatever). They have "put in the time" and earned it. It's the same in UO. In UO people play for 14 years, and PAY for 14 years to be able to get shard shields. To insist that younger accounts are entitled to the same "perks" as older accounts is a slap in the face to the people who put in the put in the time, effort, and money to earn them.

The next thing you know, people will be complaining that they only get to play 1 hour a week, but should entitled to everything that people who play hours every day have!

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The next thing you know, people will be complaining that they only get to play 1 hour a week, but should entitled to everything that people who play hours every day have!
Don't I hear people complaining about drop rates all the time? The old "I don't have time to get loot randomly, I should be able to choose my rewards. THIS IS NOT FUN!!!" bit comes up all the time.

Furthermore, I don't even see how these shard shields are any sort of advantage. Travelling from shard to shard buying junk just seems boring to me. I could see using it to go play with other people, but why not just make another toon on the shard you want to go to. Training really doesn't take much time these days. This whole argument, both sides, seems stupid to me. If you really care about shard shields at all... You shouldn't.

I'll bet most of the people who have them were so excited when they got them, but I'd also bet the excitement began to fizzle out after the first couple months. It seems that most use them to move junk for other people so I reckon it's more of a burden for them than some great game enhancing experience.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm sorry, but exactly why SHOULD younger accounts be on the same "playing field"? The accounts with shields PAID 14 years worth of subscriptions to be able to have them. I would be fine with an option of "paying up" your account to be able to get shard shields. Pay $120 per year, and get all you want. But to just say that younger accounts deserve everything older accounts have EARNED is silly, and delusional.

In both RL AND UO, NOT EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO EVERYTHING!!!! You have to earn it.

In real life, some people have a lot more "stuff" than others ($$$, homes, cars, whatever). They have "put in the time" and earned it. It's the same in UO. In UO people play for 14 years, and PAY for 14 years to be able to get shard shields. To insist that younger accounts are entitled to the same "perks" as older accounts is a slap in the face to the people who put in the put in the time, effort, and money to earn them.

I'm just saying, new players aren't going to stay if you make rewards that take 14 years to get. I agree, being able to buy age could be a solution. That way everyone has paid the same price for rewards.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly... I should add in to my post...

A friend and I invested in 4 Shard Shields... goodness knows how long ago. Maybe when they came out? Over 7 years ago? He had the account of age (well above), with many picks. Over 7 years ago, we didnt really have dead shards. And so... we had Rares Festivals. Not on Atlantic! Plus, I had 3 other friends with more then 4 shards. 3 of them are gone now. I trusted them all!!! Its just pixels, after all. I can make back a million gold in a slow day, back then. (Not bragging, just saying.) And not a single time did I get ripped off and all those friends were great... and I miss them... and then some.

With the 4 shards... 1 is HOME, so you can always get back. The "Traveler", stripped to a no-regs outfit, spellbook, 2 runebooks... designed for these missions. It was great for quite a while... until the shards started to die. Now only 1 is worth wild, out of the 3... and my friend asked me if we should claim more shields about 4 months ago. After I stopped laughing, I explained to him what I witnessed all over the game... not that its a laughing matter. Its just not worth wasting a Vet Pick any more! Its sad. They cant be transferred, thus worthless to sell. Plus, a new friend gained on a Japanese shard now has a full time connection made. So, some joy in the sadness.

If those of you dont know... these shields only generate 1 token per MONTH. Talk about a disappointment.

I had been wondering why I saw loads of the same shard shields in a single house. Thats why. :)

If you cant find a trusted friend to help you... you are basically allowing evil scripters powder, paying real money. So, up to you... what is the better of the 2 evils?
You must be under the weather. I see you didn't include any Fel bashing in your posts.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You must be under the weather. I see you didn't include any Fel bashing in your posts.
This is the reason threads get locked. Gratz on starting up over nothing.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
..... this one again.

1. They (ea/bs) will not change the price nor will they expand the availabillity of shard shields. That would take away a large source of funds to the game. Like it or not, that is fact.

2. Shard shields don't kill shards. As a matter of fact the vast majority of shard shield owners use them so they can stay on their lesser populated shard while still having access to the shopping mall errr I mean Atlantic.

3. It's not fair to those that don't have them? Yeah well hate to break it to you but a lot of things are not fair. For example, Tom Brady has won upteen championships, has a spouse that makes more money than he does and has knocked up not one but TWO supermodels. To me that's not fair either but I'm not on a corner complaining that I should have everything he has.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
everyone is able to use any vet reward except shard shields, shard shields are probably the only real advantage left for old vets. I take/move items for people, if they are nice, as do others. most vet rewards I picked are now worthless, statues, cloaks/robes ect… I was dumb and picked rewards early in my game play lol. if there was a safe way to buy stuff from any shard, it may help the game as long as it cant be exploited.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Cause he went to High School in Austin!
I actually dated a cheerleader from Westlake HS when I was in HS. Back then I could fly SW round trip from Houston to Austin for $25!!!! That has been a year or 40 ago though. *Ah, the "good old days*

Last edited:

Merth

Journeyman
As along time off and on player my account is only at 7 yrs so no chance for me. Do I care that others can come and go ...no. I do think a central market would be an awesome idea although I think that would mostly negate alot of peoples usage of shields. My idea if they went that direction would be to offer an exchange. Allow those that have them to turn back in for a fresh pick if they choose to do that.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How's about instead of all the bickering and animosity of who has what and who doesn't why don't we try to figure out a way to attract and keep new players in the game?

Let's brainstorm ways EA/BS could make changes that benefit the lower population shards by bringing in new players who actually stick around and play.

There's no vendor markets on the low pop shards because there's too few players. No power scrolls because there are not enough players doing the spawns.

Why can't, what is generally considered to be the greatest MMO ever, attract new players? Why can't UO keep the new players that do give it a try?

Why does Ultima Online's playerbase continue to dwindle?

This is right now on Stratics
"Total: 361 (members: 35, guests: 298, robots: 28)"

I remember when there'd be over 100 members online and hundreds of guests. Where has everybody gone and why?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO can be a large time investment. Things in RL change.

Does a 15 20 30 year old know what UO is? That didn't have a parent play it.

If you don't get new players you are left with Cranky Old Men.

Not our fault we don't control advertisement.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some shard shield owners are fine but the concept of them was a bad idea, too many things get shipped off to Atlantic to be sold now instead of selling on their own shards.

Low population is a factor here but even without that I think most vets with access to the shields would go to the highest population shard to sell their stuff.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
UO can be a large time investment. Things in RL change.

Does a 15 20 30 year old know what UO is? That didn't have a parent play it.

If you don't get new players you are left with Cranky Old Men.

Not our fault we don't control advertisement.
I'm 31 and found UO myself at age 13 :) I know I'm one of the youngins on here