• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS From the Desk of EM Faine Morgan - The Final Chapter

Lord Bytor

Slightly Crazed
Reporter
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From The Desk of EM Faine Morgan - The Final Chapter 12/29/2019 :( Catskills will miss you:

From the Desk of EM Faine Morgan - The Final Chapter

As I sit here at the end of a wonderful year as the Event Moderator for Catskills, I can't help but reflect on my time with the Event Moderator Program overall. It's hard to believe that eleven years ago I was accepted into the program and got a peek behind the curtain at the Wizard. It's even harder to believe that over half my UO life has been spent with this program. In my eleven years with the program, I've had the privilege of working with, and helping train, many EM's, even when I was not an active shard EM. Some stayed for a short time, some stayed for years. One even became a member of the Dev team. You all know him as Kyronix but he'll always be Dudley to me.

When I first started, the EM training program consisted of two words - "don't die". Which, of course, one of the first Catskills EM's, EM Cern, promptly did. We discovered quickly that EM's could be guard whacked by tossing purple potions in guard zones. We also discovered that Slasher really didn't care if you were "invulnerable" or not. He was still more than happy to lay you out - again a discovery made by a Catskills EM. EM Training has come a very long way since then and so many have contributed to the lessons learned over the years and helping to make the program better and better.

Over time, as with the training for new EM's, I've seen so many changes to the program. Before this incarnation, EM's were only used to help launch a new release. They would help guide a story running up the new expansion and then the program would end. This time, the program has been going strong since November of 2008. I still have my acceptance email from November 26, 2008 with the line "Congratulations!! You have been chosen to be part of our Event Moderator Program."

I always thought that I'd be with the program until they turned out the lights on this world we call Ultima Online, either as an EM myself or assisting the other EM's. However, as tends to happen, things, and times, change and the time has come for me to say goodbye to the Event Moderator program.

There are changes being made to the EM program which, in the long run, I think will be very good for the players and will enrich the experience for all the shards. I'm sure you will be hearing more about that in the coming days. However, with my real life responsibilities, I just don't have the time to commit to the new structure of the program. I've wrestled long and hard with the decision and tried to see a way clear to stay under the new structure but it's just not possible.

I had planned to stay on as EM on Catskill through January and wrap up a couple of things, do the Order promotions and hand off the shard to the new EM team. However, I was told at the end of the week that that is not going to be a possibility. So, it's with more sadness than you could possibly know, and not a few tears, that I am saying farewell to Catskills as your Event Moderator and to the Event Moderator program as a whole.

Please know that I have all of the information on the Order paths, registrations and points totals for promotions as well as the structure and uniforms. I will share that documentation with the new team when I find out who that will be. I would, however, like to recognize two players who had perfect attendance for the current promotion period. Those players were Morganna of CDE and Keenbadger of K^S. Both had 10 points which was the maximum possible for this period. Honorable mentions go to Bragi Hildrskald, Gash, Maint Alter and Bretwalda who each accumulated 9 points.

I will also be sure that the new team is aware of the fish of the month and deco plot contests as well as the layout at the fairgrounds outside of Luna. I was able, I believe, to receive all of the December entries for Fish of the Month and this month's winner was Onyx with a 45 stone Winter Dragonfish. Congratulations Onyx.

In addition, I will pass along all of the background information that I have been given on the situation in Nu'jelm, as well as pertinent information on all the story lines, tavern nights, etc. and how to find the schedules.

Finally, I have tried to take up most of the Christmas decorations (or at least the ones that I remembered where I put them lol). In their place, I've put out a few that I thought might be winter worthy. Most will probably decay in the next month or so but I wanted to leave just a little cheer around. I've also set up the Event Crier with my best wishes for you all.

My first official shard was Origin, and they will always hold a special place in my heart. But I want each of you to know that I have considered it a true honor to be YOUR Event Moderator on Catskills. You have made me feel more than welcome and I have enjoyed so much getting to know each of you and spending time interacting with you. I'm sorry I could not make more tavern nights but I appreciate the warm welcome I received at the ones I did manage to attend. I am more grateful than you could know for the role play community sharing with me the backstories and their patience as I tried to find my footing. I am also sincerely thankful and appreciative of the consideration, and sometimes patience, you all showed to me during the events and your sheer enthusiasm. My time as your EM has meant the world to me and I will do everything in my power to make sure the baton gets passed as gracefully as possible. Your next EM is going to be very fortunate to have you all.

I will truly miss being your EM and I hope, if you ever look back on my time here, you will look back fondly. With all my love and all my hopes for your safe journeys....

May your day be filled with blessings
Like the sun that lights the sky,
And may you always have the courage
To spread your wings and fly!

*brushes away a tear, seals the parchment and, with a shaky breath, blows out the lantern for the last time, quietly wrapping her cloak around her and closing the door behind her*