• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

From FoF July 14, 2006

G

July 14, 2006

2. Have you thought about putting commas on checks so we can easily see just how many zeroes a check has?
Draconi: Why yes, we have! It’s a real pain when trading bank checks to have to count the zeros (or other numbers) for each check. Not to mention the potential for an innocent player to be scammed by a less than virtuous one, who hides a 100,000 check amidst a few for a 1,000,000. While this may be a lower priority compared to the rest of our workload, if we’d like address this as soon as we have time to fit it in.

Any chance with all the work done lately, that this could be worked in?

I

imported_Spiritless

Yeah, I'd really like to see this also. I don't think many people wouldn't, frankly. It'd be a great change.

This would be a good question for tomorrow's FoF, imo. Unless it can be cleared up sooner.

G

Agreed. I can't think of any reason, barring unforseen effects on other sections of code, this wouldn't be a positive change.

I trust that QA can take care of the unforseen effects part. *grins*

G

It's the localization that gets in the way. In some countries/languages, commas are used instead of periods in numbers. I seem to remember a comment that they decided they wanted to "do it right" instead of "do it quickly" (then of course, it never quite managed to bubble to the top of the to do list)

N

Nerf-Herder

I think that check amounts should appear in roman numerals...

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the townhall meeting this past weekend, Jeremy said, that Draconi had a work around for the commas, but they decided to do the code proper instead of a messy fix. And I know she said it somewhere in and FoF but darned if I can find it.

Edited cause I found it!! Here!

G

<blockquote><hr>

It's a built-in Windows API function call ... if they would just use it.

[/ QUOTE ]
But ... but ... um ... ah ... er ... hmm, I've got nothin' to reply to that with.

G

I have commas in my checks in UO right now

Just a quick download of a player created UI mod for KR and viola!

Can be downloaded Here

G

<blockquote><hr>

It's a built-in Windows API function call ... if they would just use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

/agreed

G

<blockquote><hr>

It's the localization that gets in the way. In some countries/languages, commas are used instead of periods in numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does it really matter if it is separated by a comma, space, period or smiley faces? Any type of separation is better than none.

Putting in a quick fix today is better than a proper fix never. Commas have been literally asked about for over half this game's life. I can't imagine why we continue to suffer when the change is all ready to go but not in the proper form.

G

Well not only should comma's be put in, as old as the game is now, and as much as stuff sell's for, they should increase the limit on checks, from a max of 1 million now, to at least 10 million gold checks.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Well not only should comma's be put in, as old as the game is now, and as much as stuff sell's for, they should increase the limit on checks, from a max of 1 million now, to at least 10 million gold checks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Indeed. And raise the max price for a vendor item to 1b, rather than just 100m.

A lot of people get scammed, simply since it's not possible to deal with amounts that are realistic nowadays. People do pay 300m for a castle and do pay similar amounts for big rares. We are working with a system that was designed for a small economy and didn't take big inflation into account.