• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] from 105 -120

L

lancelot99

How long approximately will it take and how many ingots (assuming i have 1o5 mining (gloves) from 105-120?

Same with imbuing? i am currently at 80 imbue.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For Smith, there is [Blacksmithing] - Blacksmith Skill Gain Log/Training Guide, GM (100) to 120 | Stratics Forums

However, it was done when Salvage Bags gave back more ingots than recycling alone would give.

I lost about 16,000+ ingots from recycling and failure going from 105 to 120, then (about 13,700 circlets made - 1 lost per recycle, plus the rest to failures). Given the number of crafting attempts that I counted, with the now-nerfed salvage bag the losses would have been closer to 30,000 ingots (about 13,700 circlets made - 2 lost per recycle). As both Royal Circlets and Boomerangs lose 2 ingots each at 101.2 or higher mining (requires +3 or +5 mining gloves, plus mining near 100), making which is up to you (Boomerangs have slightly higher gain chance, but involves a LOT more recycling, and moving the recycled ingots back to the bag - about 4 times as much). I'd go with the royal circlets because you can actually go 3-4 minutes between recycles, instead of 1 minute between reycles; the improved gain chance isn't statistically all that great.

If you end up using accelerated gain methods (scrolls of alacrity), speed becomes more important, you'll miss a lot of potential gain chances constantly recycling and reloading with the boomerangs, that you would have had on the royal circlets.

As for imbuing, [Imbuing] - Imbuing Training Guide, Mk III (Updated 11 January 2012) | Stratics Forums

I used this method, and went through about 200 exceptional Jingasa. to go from 80 to 120. To make getting the exceptional Jingasa easier, wait until you're 120 Smith to craft stuff for imbuing training, and get Imbuing gains until then from unraveling loot (suggest any of the stuff from the revised dungeons, T-map or SOS chest contents, etc.).
It will take about 3000 ingots to make the Jingasa.
I believe it took around 15-20 thousand residue (residue was so easy to get from unraveling junk, I really didn't keep track).
I also think it took around 10 thousand citrine and amber (can't find my notes).

Continuing to unravel high end non-imbued stuff will get you gains all the way to 120, and using Scrolls of Alacrity will have even more of an effect than it does on Smith.

msB_CO18

Visitor
For Smith, there is [Blacksmithing] - Blacksmith Skill Gain Log/Training Guide, GM (100) to 120 | Stratics Forums

However, it was done when Salvage Bags gave back more ingots than recycling alone would give.

I lost about 16,000+ ingots from recycling and failure going from 105 to 120, then (about 13,700 circlets made - 1 lost per recycle, plus the rest to failures). Given the number of crafting attempts that I counted, with the now-nerfed salvage bag the losses would have been closer to 30,000 ingots (about 13,700 circlets made - 2 lost per recycle). As both Royal Circlets and Boomerangs lose 2 ingots each at 101.2 or higher mining (requires +3 or +5 mining gloves, plus mining near 100), making which is up to you (Boomerangs have slightly higher gain chance, but involves a LOT more recycling, and moving the recycled ingots back to the bag - about 4 times as much). I'd go with the royal circlets because you can actually go 3-4 minutes between recycles, instead of 1 minute between reycles; the improved gain chance isn't statistically all that great.

If you end up using accelerated gain methods (scrolls of alacrity), speed becomes more important, you'll miss a lot of potential gain chances constantly recycling and reloading with the boomerangs, that you would have had on the royal circlets.

As for imbuing, [Imbuing] - Imbuing Training Guide, Mk III (Updated 11 January 2012) | Stratics Forums

I used this method, and went through about 200 exceptional Jingasa. to go from 80 to 120. To make getting the exceptional Jingasa easier, wait until you're 120 Smith to craft stuff for imbuing training, and get Imbuing gains until then from unraveling loot (suggest any of the stuff from the revised dungeons, T-map or SOS chest contents, etc.).
It will take about 3000 ingots to make the Jingasa.
I believe it took around 15-20 thousand residue (residue was so easy to get from unraveling junk, I really didn't keep track).
I also think it took around 10 thousand citrine and amber (can't find my notes).

Continuing to unravel high end non-imbued stuff will get you gains all the way to 120, and using Scrolls of Alacrity will have even more of an effect than it does on Smith.

So, just to be clear...I don't need any special scrolls or talismans to gain blacksmith skill past 100? I keep making stuff (at adequate difficulty to gain) and don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'm worried i'm wasting time and material and just need a scroll...
Thanks!!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, you need a powerscroll to go over 100. You get them from Bulk Order Deed rewards. They were easy to get before the BOD changes a few years ago (I would do BODs for them, and hold the BODs to give them away for free, even then), but they are ABSURDLY easy to get now, if you want one, due to the BOD point system (Any Plate LBOD 20 EX Shadow Iron or better (normal quality Agapite or better), chain 20 Ex Bronze or better (or valorite chain), ring 20 Ex Agapite or better), or you can turn in a bunch of lesser larges set to bank points to accumulate the points needed (about 9-10 exceptional weapons or chain/plate Iron LBODs, banked, will get you to the 900 points needed)