• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Friends List

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hi all, sorry for the new guy question but here goes:

Is there a friends list in UO Classic or EC? If so, how do I use it?

I searched the forums and I also searched UO.com and neither one has any information that I can find. Since I downloaded the client online, I don't have a manual to reference for this stuff.

Thanks!

Grimshander - Lake Superior

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The game's not designed to keep track of people not in your guild or party.

Guild members you can get a list of (and who's online) by looking at the guild roster.

Party members show up in the party roster (one of the scrolls to the left of the character in the classic client)

There's a feature on some of the 3rd party mapping programs to see non-guild members, but that might be limited to those that are using a special server link for their programs. When those programs could keep note of other people without being signed into map servers, there were usually howls of protest.
I THINK that some of the ability to track friendlies might be in the EC map (possibly as function of one or more of the fan-made plug-ins).

One of the main reasons why there never was such a system implemented as part of the game is probably the PvP elements not wanting a method where non-allies could see if a group was massing for a spawn (either to start, or to raid). Most guild and alliance situations can be handled via chats, where people will usually sound off if you ask for them. Outside your alliance, if the people you are looking for use the general chat channel, you might be able to contact people that way as well.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the greater problems with such a list within Uo is, that character names are not unique.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thanks! I've spoken with some folks in game and many use ICQ to keep track of one another online. I think I will go that route.

I appreciate the feedback!