• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player News) Freja's Interview - The Early Years

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Freja's Interview -An Open Discussion Of Siege- Part 1, The Early Years
One Player's frank & personal perspective on Siege's history, current circumstances and how we might improve it all. Thanks to Freja's thoughtful and detailed responses, this is broken into three parts: The Early Years, NEW2, and the Ideal Siege.
You are invited to join in the discussion!

"it was like a second world, wild and untamed. It was a dangerous world,"

DeadBob: You have played UO since the beginning days. When did you start? What was it like then?

Freja, a native citizen of Denmark:
I missed the Beta, started Dec 1997 on Atlantic. My son came home with the account and Internet was on my computer, so he had to make me play to get access to it.
To me, the game was wonderful, it was like a second world, wild and untamed. It was a dangerous world, special outside towns. I started out as a miner/smith but after some deaths in the mining cave, I run out of money and a guy at bank gave me an axe and a hammer and told me to make wooden shields and sell them. I made bows too and ended up as an archer.
I don't know why, but I never hated the reds, I more saw them as a challenge and wanted to learn to know them. Sure dying was annoying but I learned fast to have some backup gear or gold. Dying is worse as long you run around in death robe, as soon you are in a new suit and with a new weapon, everything look much better. If you was not careful, you could lose your house too. if you lost your key to a thief or a PK, that house would never be safe again. they could loot everything in there.
I still look back at year 1997-1998 as the best time I had in UO, even when I sometimes had so much lag, that it was hard to move and I lost connection a lot. I was on dial up from Denmark.
The game have changes a lot since then, not all changes was good for UO. I hated stat loss for murderers, even when it never hit me. It made a lot of my red friends give up.
I stopped playing on Atlantic, when we got Trammel and Siege become my main shard and have been it since. I did not like what Trammel did to Atlantic, it did split the community.

"I would not cry if Malas was removed from Siege, they could make a gate to Doom from somewhere else."

DeadBob: How has Siege changed over the years?

Freja:
Siege was born before Trammel and Item Insurance but after Stat Loss for murderers was added. If they rezzed with 5 or more counts, they would get up to 25% permanent skill lose. Siege was born without sick thing.
Siege was born with several special rules
1. No stat loss for murderers
2. No recall
3. No gating in and out of dungeon.
4. Only one char on an account
5. Red and grey can't kick/ban from houses.
6. Red and grey will clean the ban list in houses, they are friend of, when they use the door.
7. NPC vendors take 3x the price for their wares.
8. NPC won't buy your wares
9 Player vendors take 3x fee for working
10. The murderer title is gone for good.
11. No bounty system
12. Guards at the houses is peaceful, they do not attack reds.
13. RoT, Rate over Time skill gain for non resource using skills.
14. No Trammel and Item Insurance

Stat loss are removed from all shards now
The public houses and the lose of the key and refresh from the door removed # 5 & 6
Vendor fee should be the same as normal shards now.
The murderer title, I don't know if it still are on normal shards.
Bounty system is gone on all shards
Think this guard at houses thing never really got patched
RoT are much faster now. We did lose RoT, when all got Power Hour, that was a pain, players could make a gm PK char in 5 days, and did not learn to understand Siege before they started killing.

Every time normal shards got a publish or a patch, we got most of it too, and not all changes was good for Siege. We did not get the Trammel code and Item Insurance but we did get the other new facets.
Special Malas was bad, to much land, Luna, very little over land spawn. I would not cry if Malas was removed from Siege, they could make a gate to Doom from somewhere else.

Then we got AoS, that was really bad as this new artifacts was very expensive and without Item Insurance, a lot could not afford good gear and did not have a chance to PvP.
Because of multi crafters on other shards, who could not fight the overland spawn, most of it was removed. That hurt Siege as we had new chars and lesser PvM chars using the overland and roaming PK's, attacking them and the player towns.

We also got Faction, it split the community, good and evils joined same faction and Sieges native factions got destroyed. Before we had PvM and crafter guilds, roleplaying blue and roleplaying red guilds, Anti PK guilds and PK guilds, with faction, that got total messed up.

Imbuing was very expensive and not many could afford it.
It become really bad, when they added powerful factions items. I gave up PvP as I had no chance vs this overpowered chars and I did not want to be in faction. Siege almost died.

Until 2 years ago, it had been bad for Siege, then Devs changed direction and the last changes had been good for Siege. They did changes something with Factions Items and we got new loot in some of the old dungeons. That made relic much easier to get from unraw and the loot was much more powerful too. Now we can craft Suit most can afford. A upper suit is still expensive but as it become easier to make money, it works. Also the Bazaar vendors in New Magincia is a great help.

Now with the new rules for Siege houses and Mystic tokens, Siege are starting to get more players again.

Another thing with faction, that was bad for Siege was the factions taxes. Before people was loyal to the town near their house, that did help the community. With factions taxes, they had to give up their town and go to cheapest factions town. I hope the remove of faction and the new town loyalty will help the community. I know there need to be a kind of PvP system but I hope it will be more a kind of good vs evil.

Siege had been UO's step child for many years, now it seem like Devs have seen, something is working right on Siege. The economy is healthy and the community are very strong. We have very few system rules to control our action but we rarely need help from GM's and the hate between red and blue don't really exist on Siege.

Even when we are enemies on the field, we can still make events like the Graduation of NEW2 members and Ladra's BOOM party and be together in a more friendly way.

I'm sure we had a lot more changes but this was the worse and the best :)

Next: Part 2, of the interview continues with Freja's memories of NEW and perspective on NEW2

Last edited:

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ahh I remember all the good and bad - and back then all I wanted was to be able to change the lock on my house after my key was stolen.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yes only a fool would run around with his key and a rune to his house. Most would recall to bank, grab the key and recall from rune in bank box to the house. Later I placed a vendor, holding my key in a key ring. I could then unlock door, open it, lock it again when still open and step in leaving key on vendor and close door.

However a pair of thieves did success getting my key but they ended up as friends and my house was safe again :)

Tiberius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Power hour was actually a boon to our population when it went in. We had lost quite a few of the old "exp/ebolt hally smack" crowd when the UOR pvp changes went in. Lots of new guilds came over in that period and there were fights aplenty. It seems kinda funny to remember all the fussing that went on involving UOR changes when in retrospect origen had perfected UO pvp with UOR then destroyed it with the item based changes brought on by AOS. Things are a bit better now but the heyday of UO pvp was when all anyone needed was some pots, regs/weapon, gm armour, and a trusty mount that only death could remove you from to be competitive; 5k per death at most, tons of people fought, and tons of those who "sucked" earned thier stripes without going broke, and eventually got to be pretty good in thier own right.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Power hour was actually a boon to our population when it went in. We had lost quite a few of the old "exp/ebolt hally smack" crowd when the UOR pvp changes went in. Lots of new guilds came over in that period and there were fights aplenty.
True it gave us alot new players but only because old RoT was insane slow. I never liked PH as guildmates, who got on, always said, "I'm in my powerhour" if you wanted to do something with them. With 1-3 chars each, that ruined alot game play

It seems kinda funny to remember all the fussing that went on involving UOR changes when in retrospect origen had perfected UO pvp with UOR then destroyed it with the item based changes brought on by AOS. Things are a bit better now but the heyday of UO pvp was when all anyone needed was some pots, regs/weapon, gm armour, and a trusty mount that only death could remove you from to be competitive; 5k per death at most, tons of people fought, and tons of those who "sucked" earned thier stripes without going broke, and eventually got to be pretty good in thier own right.
We sure had some hard years, there items was to expensive to replace but I believe it fine now. You may not get a new suit for 5k but you do get a LRC suit for 15k and spare lots of regs. Also it's much easier to make money now. Unraw 1-3 bags Shame or take a few trips to Abyss loot and you have 100k to replace a 70 resist suit with LRC and MR.

Back before AoS, we also had someone running in stuff worth alot more than 5k, just like we now have some running in suit with a value around 500k.
We still have a little problem with get the smiths back to business but it will come. I do like what we have now, a GM imbued suit is not just one kind, you can as crafter find your version, that sell and the customers will keep comming back for your suits. I have several different kind, and of different prices, so there are suits both for the poor guy and the one who can affort more. Only thing I need is more hours to play :)