• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Free to play?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally, I think the game has been going backwards in terms of graphic quality the longer things go on.

An overview of the graphics of Ultima:

Ultima 9, from before UO existed:

Untitled.png

UO Classic Client and Kingdom Reborn side by side:

uo.jpg

That "UO 3D" thing they tried after Kingdom Reborn but before Enhanced Client:

uo4_1.jpg

UO Enhanced Client:

maxresdefault.jpg

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree that the biggest problem with the classic client was the unscaleable graphics. Mystic did a partly good job by offering several new graphics resolutions, but these fall vastly short when compared to the graphics settings on several of the 3rd party clients available on free shards. (which the mystic changes made no longer funtionable on OSI shards I have heard.) Why Mystic couldn't let the player set there own graphics resolutions is beyond me.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Captn Norrington The swamp dragon in your KR screenie there is actually quite pretty, the big problem for me personally with KR was that overall it just looked a bit vague and washed-out, the CC has a crispness to it and everything is clear, it's what I miss playing in EC now, I have to be very zoomed out to get that. The picture of Ultima 9 is very interesting, I don't think I ever played that, last I remember playing was Underworld. I would imagine most of the people who play in CC would hate the way Ultima 9 looks too! :D

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I think the game has been going backwards in terms of graphic quality the longer things go on.

View attachment 67525

View attachment 67526

View attachment 67528

UO Enhanced Client:

View attachment 67527
Oh dear lord!! Why did you have to make the Enhanced client pic so large.......my eyes cannot Un-see that abomination now o.0
A reminder to all as to why any sane person uses the CC and NOT the EC. :hahaha:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

View attachment 67525

View attachment 67526

View attachment 67528

UO Enhanced Client:

View attachment 67527
Maybe it's my settings, but my EC looks nothing like that hot mess.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Captn Norrington The swamp dragon in your KR screenie there is actually quite pretty, the big problem for me personally with KR was that overall it just looked a bit vague and washed-out, the CC has a crispness to it and everything is clear, it's what I miss playing in EC now, I have to be very zoomed out to get that. The picture of Ultima 9 is very interesting, I don't think I ever played that, last I remember playing was Underworld. I would imagine most of the people who play in CC would hate the way Ultima 9 looks too! :D
Monsters in KR and a lot of the tilesets were just fine... item art on the other hand was simply atrocious.

Also, yes, I do hate U9. It's a blocky polygonal nightmare from the period where 3d was technically functional but still ugly as ****. My least favorite period in gaming by far where 3D was the craze and every new game was this minecraft level of blockiness.

3d is great now, as computers can handle very high poly counts. D3 for example, which IMO would be the best possible visual outcome for UO. Even low end stuff like Marvel Heroes looks decent.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pretty sure trial accounts won't get event drops
i'd hope they would be very heavily restricted, especially if EA/BS have no intention of cracking down on scripting/multi-boxing.

I'm really not much of a fan of the whole F2P idea, because it's something EA hasn't done well at all, obviously the scripting/multi-boxing is a major factor in it as well.

I do believe that it could bring in a fair amount of players though, at least in the short term, then again, so would advertising the game...

I vaguely remember there being talk about a New Player Experience (NPE) I wonder where they are in development with that? (or has it even begun development?)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vaguely remember there being talk about a New Player Experience (NPE) I wonder where they are in development with that? (or has it even begun development?)
heh wasn't that like 3 or more years ago? I think it's safe to say that idea has floated away.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
According to Cpt. Norrington i may able to give you some information from an insider.
There are no restrictions in f2p, except they have to use a new client specially for thoose accounts.
The insider also leaks me a screenshot.
ultima-f2p-client.jpg

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let there be housing for the F2P accounts. Have em pay $20 for a 6 month code to allow placement...and those houses have to be refreshed at least once a week.
Seems fair, best of both worlds

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Let there be housing for the F2P accounts. Have em pay $20 for a 6 month code to allow placement...and those houses have to be refreshed at least once a week.
Seems fair, best of both worlds
Financially it wouldn't make any sense... right now someone holding a dummy account for housing with the 90 day rule is paying $60 a year. Assuming there's a lot of these dummy accounts or just people paying the monthly sub to keep their current house with belongings active while taking a break, the loss of revenue would kill the game. F2P is a step in the right direction but needs to be done right, free housing wouldn't be the right way of doing it. Now someone mentioned in another thread having the rights to a small house in a specific area of the game that would need to be manually refreshed, something like that could work as long as it doesn't get abused

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Financially it wouldn't make any sense... right now someone holding a dummy account for housing with the 90 day rule is paying $60 a year. Assuming there's a lot of these dummy accounts or just people paying the monthly sub to keep their current house with belongings active while taking a break, the loss of revenue would kill the game. F2P is a step in the right direction but needs to be done right, free housing wouldn't be the right way of doing it. Now someone mentioned in another thread having the rights to a small house in a specific area of the game that would need to be manually refreshed, something like that could work as long as it doesn't get abused
Yeah exactly. Housing in UO is the best that any online game has managed to produce. Miles ahead of anything else Ive seen. However the housing system, despite probably being one of the reasons UO is still running, is also its bane. EA have Im sure become used to the income on those 90 day rule accounts so cannot (or will not) change that as they would lose subs. Scrapping the 90 day rule however is the only way to introduce F2P housing (ie selling houses to F2P accounts as a shop item, with refresh required). They darent do it though as its too much of a risk that the lost subs from the 90 day rule wont return and the F2P crowd may not cover that income wise. Im sure if you were doing it now from scratch you wouldnt do the 90 day rule.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The pile of gold behind the Swamp Dragon in KR is the reason I HATED it... looks "muddy" as did much of the graphics... you couldn't tell where one thing ended and another began... trying to run through trees that looked exactly like grass was nearly impossible.

While yes I agree that swamp dragon was better but it did one major thing that STILL Irks me to this day and they kept this in ... It cut off 2 of the swamp dragons legs... So now instead of being a 6 legged Stanley Steamer... It's only got 4 and it's no different than any other dragon. Poor Stanley.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It should just be trial account as it is right now, and subs as they are right now. That's it. Simple, concise, serves it's purpose without turning the game into a piecemeal nightmare.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The pile of gold behind the Swamp Dragon in KR is the reason I HATED it... looks "muddy" as did much of the graphics... you couldn't tell where one thing ended and another began... trying to run through trees that looked exactly like grass was nearly impossible.

While yes I agree that swamp dragon was better but it did one major thing that STILL Irks me to this day and they kept this in ... It cut off 2 of the swamp dragons legs... So now instead of being a 6 legged Stanley Steamer... It's only got 4 and it's no different than any other dragon. Poor Stanley.
Yes item art was garbage. I was so let down when I log on in my carefully arranged house to see everything looking dull formless and weird. I knew I could never get used to that art. I loved some of the monsters though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes item art was garbage. I was so let down when I log on in my carefully arranged house to see everything looking dull formless and weird. I knew I could never get used to that art. I loved some of the monsters though.
And the chest neatly stacked in your house become something that looked like a swayback mule? Like someone had gone through your house with a sledgehammer...

My main irritation was that the beautiful Mahogany looking wood I chose on my home became something akin to wood from an old barn. So my "rich" and beautiful looking theatre turned into a dilapidated Barn.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A successful F2P model requires vision and a lot of smart design choices. I do not think the current tiny team can deliver on those. And without them F2P is just a death sentence because it will break old systems without replacing them.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think resolution is the biggest limiting factor this game has. Dated or even poor graphics don't stop people from playing games. When the graphics are too small to comfortably see without altering your zoom settings then yes, that is a problem. I don't know how fixable that problem is.
This is very true but I think mileage varies based on game type. I know a lot of my friends are playing the new platform games that are coming out. They personally remind me of something from 1989, but my friends enjoy them. But thats specific to that genre. For online, massively multiplayer games they want something more visually appealing - ex. Path of Exile, Diablo 3, or the "3A" MMO titles like WoW, FFXIV, EVE, Blade and Soul etc.

I feel if the engine that run UO isn't updates to be on par with say Diablo 3 or Path of Exile then it'll be a major turn off for people interested in UO's genre.