• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Free Accounts - I am NOT a babysitter!

I

imported_eggchick7

I agree Inge, but then you have to rely on the sim concerned telling the truth about his/her age...nice idea in theory..I'll suggest it if a younger sim comes a calling

G

I am not referring to all the free accounts. i have met a few nice new people that i would like to see become paid players. I am referring to the ones who when they enter the lot scream FOOD, or I'm New can I have some money, you can afford it, look at your home. LOL, am I a rich sim, hell no, I put every dime I have made working as a waitress, or slaving away at crappy money objects with barely any payout.
Yes I have booted and banned a few people from my lot, and I have put my lot on admit, only to have a few instant message me demanding to be let in, and then I put them on ignore. It wouldn't be as bad if it were just a few new players, but it seems to be quite a few that are rude and insolent. Not to mention the huge amount of very young kids that are now playing. I can not imagine allowing my 11 year old son to play this game, in my opinion I feel that it is way too adult. I , myself have left different places because of offensive conversations and language, but to each their own, I don't stay where I m uncomfortable. I love this game, and I want to see it get even better, I just don't want to be continually bothered with answering questions.
I even was told by one new player that my residence lot was lame because I didn't have a computer that he could look for a job on. It is a castle theme, tell me where a computer fits into that lol.

I

Inge Jones

<blockquote><hr>

I agree Inge, but then you have to rely on the sim concerned telling the truth about his/her age...nice idea in theory

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didn't really mean it from that point of view, so if you get a youngster who acts mature, or a person claiming to be older who likes to act like a kid, then they don't need to use their age-related houses. So they can be how old they act, or want to be, not how old they actually are. I wasn't really thinking in terms of age-cutoffs for legal reasons, like for seeing adult content.

So you could say "This property is really intended for people who want to skill/shop/earn seriously - why don't you make a property with some friends who prefer to take things more lightly?" For example.

I

imported_MattelMichele

Same here, have a service lot and spend the majority of the day answering questions; to which i have no probs, but please if your a new player be kind, clean up after yourself (leave a tip, perhaps); and don't ask me for the million-gazzillionth time to become roomie, when i have already told you i'm fresh out of roomie slots. Kay.

N

NightFlyer

..."So you could say "This property is really intended for people who want to skill/shop/earn seriously - why don't you make a property with some friends who prefer to take things more lightly?" For example."...

Easy to say except how would you propose they fund this? OH yes! ATMs! *smacks forhead*

I think EA needs to completely rework this free account plan. Maybe make a limited (7 days) free trial with the option to subscribe but not re-up the free trial ever again and only one free trial per E-mail account (not the millions of free e-mail accounts either).

9 out of 10 free trial accounts I have come across said they have no intentions of subscribing and couldn't care less if they are rude and obnoxious and are only in EA Land because they can be. Some as young as 11.

How can this be good for the future of the game?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think EA needs to completely rework this free account plan. Maybe make a limited (7 days) free trial with the option to subscribe but not re-up the free trial ever again and only one free trial per E-mail account (not the millions of free e-mail accounts either).

[/ QUOTE ]We used to have this. It was a complete disaster.

G

Free Play accounts are not trial accounts.....they are looking to the future when EAL will be hosting lots of other EA games and gamers.

These accounts are basically for people that do not want to live in EA-Land to play the TSO game, but just want to 'visit' it with their gaming pals, on the way to play other games....at least, that is how I understand their goals.

Free Accounts are permanent.....no need to ever upgrade to premium accounts, unless a player wants to do custom content, real estate development, scripting, or actually make money (possibly real) in the game.

The game population, environment, and dynamics are changing, and it may well be that we will all have to make some adjustments to how we have always played, in order to get the most enjoyment out of it.

And frankly I am not going to get too attached to the Free Play rules...I believe they can't help but change, over time.

H

hollythor

Hey, talk to Casual Kisses or Wolfy Knight. They are making a newbie support center or help center. They have made signs and are handing them out. I put three on my lots, info for newbies to be directed there. All their questions can be answered and they can skill and eat and learn the game. So IM those two ladies...I am very impressed and proud that they are my friends, to be so kind in taking some of the noob pressures off of the rest of us. Thanks, just a bit of supporting info. 8)

I

Inge Jones

Yes that is a community-spirited gesture. Thank you Casual Kisses and Wolfy Knight

G

Wow I am suprised this thread is still going. Actually, I am glad to see it. When I started this game, like most people we were all noobies. I had some experience with TS1, but this was very different. Mind you, when I first started, I was very nice and made some long lasting friends. We have all seen in our day SUBSCRIBERS who were rude and such all over the place. I can name quite a few that I have banned and iggied from my lots over the years. Some people out there think "Oh, this is just a game. I can be an a**hole if I want to be". It's wrong and it's horrible... but isn't that the way it is also in Real Life? For us original TSO people, we can only hope to find the actual "real" people who want help learning this game and they will become a paying subscriber.

For years this game has seen so many people leave, yet no new people came to replace them. It is nice to finally see so many people I remember from long ago coming back along with new people experiencing this game for the first time. You know what may help the noobies out alot (something that helped me out alot also)? Remember when we installed TSO from the CD's? There was that 12 page slide show giving us the basics of TSO and explaining everything. We were installing the game so we had plenty of time to read through it. I just reinstalled with the EA-Land download and they no longer have that. I wonder if there is a way they can bring that slide show back. It may make the questions less. What do you guys think?

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I have always tried my best to be a helpful founder to new sims but this is getting ridiculous!! All these free account sims come to store lots and expect to be fed and entertained and ask a million questions. Many of them are admittedly under age, clueless and rude. Not to mention have no intentions of subscribing but feel the need to ask anyway. Don't we have welcome lots for this? I am already tired of being the babysitter. Is anyone else experiencing this? BTW If you want to feed and entertian them GREAT! If I wanted to do that I would have a welcome lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few week ago, I was at a service lot and the owner was great. However there was this new player who at the beginning was very kind and nice. However once we introduced him to CC and the owner provided him with $300 so he could try to upload his first CC pic, after that he began looking at all the pics on the lot and noticed 1 RL pic of the owner. And then he began a fight about how ugly she was and kept on repeating he thought she looked like a "ho" and how he cant see how any man would like to be married to her. He really upset the host...!

Clearly he was underage and extremely rude, because he then began making fun of her RL pic and sim. When we began to confront him he left the lot (his tirade lasted over 30 min). And when I asked him why he said all these things about the host, he said "Its just a game don't people joke around", clearly this was either a person with A. really bad manners B. A Underage person C. A "cyber-bully".

At my friends store lot, a new player came in requesting a Pet, ofcourse he did not have enough $ to pay for it but we showed him where the cages were and explained how Pets worked. He clearly did not understand it as he kept asking us where the pets are (he thought the pets were sold in display boxes like in TS1: Unleashed). After a few minuets of explanation he told us we were "********" and "[censored] stupid" and that "we are on drugs" because he sees no pets all he sees is "pet carriers". My friend did not own the pet cages so he could not open to explain, but the guy kept on fighting with us (we did try to give him links to stratics guides for him to read them but he didn't).

My friend eventually kicked him out, it was too much of a hassle.

This is the problem, some (NOT ALL) new players are very rude. And I find most of them to be very underage as they admit to it and sometimes you can just tell by behavior + the way they type. And it does get annoying and frustrating and when they are rude and begin to get bitchy then its a real problem. There should be a tutorial set up like in all the other games where they teach u the basics of the game before they go to the mainland (after the sim is created they go to a "training lot" with the informational pop ups or they can choose to skip the tutorial. This would help stop the madness...

So I must agree, rude new players are a hassle however the kind and patient once are great

[/ QUOTE ]

lol..I don't mean to laugh. Some of those experiences sound terrible.
One thing I have learned is to treat people the way they treat me. If I'm treated nicely they will be treated nicely. Otherwise, the selective reading and thinking before I speak starts acting up. I don't know where it comes from but I don't try to stop it.
lol

G

It's simple. These kids (most of them have been proven to be under 15) do not have a credit card to sign up with. They most likely are not telling their parents they are playing this game or else any parent with the intelligence higher than a sea urchan (sp?) would not allow them to play. Hell, if my 11-15 year old wanted to play this game, I would do everything I could to make sure they couldn't... free or not free. So, kids getting into a game where they cannot become a paying player will beg, borrow or steal to get money. If you don't give them money, then they are rude. Hell, most of the time to rude ones are rude all the time.

I

imported_Qute Pi

I agree with that, but I guess my mouth works well sometimes lol...as does my boot.

G

My only fear is soon I will be opening a house that the free accounts would be able to get to (thinking of opening a store or a residence). Guess then I will have to worry about them interupting my enjoyment.

I

imported_Qute Pi

Uh oh yea, residence not good lol. If anything you could make a house on a service category...
but even then free players will come.

I guess we just have to remember its not the free players we are annoyed by, it's the free rude ones. lol.

G

I try not to focus on the negative of the people in this game. I think of the positive. If I can help a nice noob play this game, then I am happy. I was lucky when I first started playing in IH to find a really nice skill house where the owner and roomies helped me out so much. I ended up moving in and helping them run the house. I think that is how it should be. But.... not anymore in most cases.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I am not referring to all the free accounts. i have met a few nice new people that i would like to see become paid players. I am referring to the ones who when they enter the lot scream FOOD, or I'm New can I have some money, you can afford it, look at your home. LOL, am I a rich sim, hell no, I put every dime I have made working as a waitress, or slaving away at crappy money objects with barely any payout.
Yes I have booted and banned a few people from my lot, and I have put my lot on admit, only to have a few instant message me demanding to be let in, and then I put them on ignore. It wouldn't be as bad if it were just a few new players, but it seems to be quite a few that are rude and insolent. Not to mention the huge amount of very young kids that are now playing. I can not imagine allowing my 11 year old son to play this game, in my opinion I feel that it is way too adult. I , myself have left different places because of offensive conversations and language, but to each their own, I don't stay where I m uncomfortable. I love this game, and I want to see it get even better, I just don't want to be continually bothered with answering questions.
I even was told by one new player that my residence lot was lame because I didn't have a computer that he could look for a job on. It is a castle theme, tell me where a computer fits into that lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

These people have existed the entire time I played. One thing you notice when you run into a lot of people.... is majority of the people are rather lame... I guess that is what makes those you become close to all the more special.

Ignore those who irritate you. If you let them irritate you they win. Trust me I know all about that

And Billy. Sorry, didn't really understand what you were trying to convey with your paragraph.

G

Thank u Jackie for your encouraging words and i did take your advise now when they become annoying and rude I just Ignore them completely and they go away!!!

I am also putting in my house bios the stratics and blog web sites so if they have questions, they can find the answers themselves Just like I did.