• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Forums

Christina Kardos

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hey everyone! I have a question. According to Stratics announcement the forums are going down on Thursday in preparation for the new website, right? When will they bring them back again? Are old posts going to be lost?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hey everyone! I have a question. According to Stratics announcement the forums are going down on Thursday in preparation for the new website, right? When will they bring them back again? Are old posts going to be lost?
I'm not sure when they will be back, but from what I have heard, old posts are not going to be lost, they will just be moved to the new site.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
We're actually prepping content for the migration a head of time. We're expecting about 2 days worth of posts to be misplaced, but not lost. Once the new site is live we will be leaving these forums up as an archive for an undetermined amount of time, though you will no long be able to post on them.

The reason for the 2 day gap in posts, is the nearly 2 million posts we are migrating take that long to convert from Xenforo to our integrated forum software. We tried to find several work around, but ultimately it came to the choice of shutting the site down completely for several days to move all the content and set up the structure we'll have on the new site, or using a backup from today to move everything to this point and having less down time. There are going to be quite a few changes to the forums, some are becoming obsolete and are being archived (visible but unable to be posted in) due to new features of the site, others haven't been used in several years and are being archived due to disuse, and yet others will be shifted in their positions from being sub-forums to headlining on their own.

We're hoping for no more than a day of down time, worst case 2 days.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'd assume 1+2d6 days of downtime based on past experience. =P
Well when you look at the stats moving anything dealing with Stratics isn't a small project, we looked into contracting companies to handle the migration, most refused due to sheer size, those that would it turned out that cost was a huge amount. Right now we're shooting for Saturday Morning, but if there is a delay we'll get a notice out via Facebook.

But some Stats of what all we've been moving and plan to have ready at launch

Forums will be completely migrated at launch barring anything unforeseen.
432 Forums
104,222 Users
278,879 Threads
1,900,000+ Replies

Articles and Guides
4346 articles have been moved to date, more will be moved manually after launch, and finishing up categorization is an on going process.