• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Forum Updates and stuff

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just finished the Smith FAQ, in an all-night session (and the Mining stuff was done before the crash). Now, I can't promise how long it will take to do the other crafting skills' revisions - but it won't be today.... I need sleep...

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok folks...here's the list. The forums are made and I'm opening them now...but we're still juggling some skills so please be patient just a little longer ;)

UO Bard Forum - Discordance, Musicianship, Peacemaking, Provocation skills

UO Beggar Forum

UO Botany & Nutrition - Alchemy, Cooking, Gardening, Taste Identification skills

UO Craftsman - Arms Lore, Blacksmithing, Bowcraft/Fletching, Carpentry, Lumberjacking, Mining, Tailoring and Tinkering skills

UO Detective - Anatomy, Camping, Detect Hidden, Forensics, Healing, and Tracking skills

UO Spellcaster - Evaluate Intelligence, Inscription, Magery, Meditation, Necromancy, Resist Spells, Spellweaving, Spirit Speak skills

UO Tamer - Animal Lore, Animal Taming, Herding, Veterinary skills

UO Thief - The old Assassin and Murderers forums are here. More skills will have to find a home here

UO Warrior - Archery, Bushido, Chivalry, Fencing, Focus, Macefighting, Ninjitsu, Parry, Swordsmanship, Tactics, and Wrestling (Disarming) skills

UO Treasure Hunter - Cartography, Fishing, Item Identification, Lock Picking, and Remove Trap skills​

Remember we're still fitting some skills in, so Hiding, Poisoning, Snooping, Stealing, and Stealth skills aren't listed yet.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What of the archived topics from late 2004 to early 2008? Are those lost forever? Because I am trying to find a specific U Hall topic and it is not there.

F

Flora Green

I'm still at a loss as to why Gardening, Cooking, Alchemy and Taste ID are in one forum. The only thing cooking and gardening have in common are cocoa seeds which aren't released yet. Gardening and taste ID have nothing in common and at best gardening and alchemy COULD be lumped, but why? It only requires a few of the potions to grow plants and those are IN the gardening FAQ. Gardening was a unique and interesting forum prior to this change.

I also agree with Dor regarding the combining of Smith, Tailor, et al. What a mess. The metals and woods belong together. Tailoring, like gardening and begging was it's own niche.

Appreciate the work it took to restore the forums, but they are not restored to their former, useful selves. :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Flora, I personally see Tailor & smithing belonging together, and if there is ANY part of the Craftsman group that doesn't belong, it would be the ones you want to group with smith & tinker (carpentry & bowcraft).

As I pointed out in my reply to Dor - tailoring (of the leatherworking type) has ALWAYS been intertwined historically with Blacksmithing.

The same people you saw for horseshoes also made/repaired your horse tack, bridle, saddle, etc. This includes bags, backpacks, saddlebags, and a lot of the stuff sold by the provisioner, that the tailor makes the engraving tool for.
Metal armor ALWAYS had leather or cloth pieces that had to be repaired by the smith, and most leather armor had metal enhancements, or other things that were handled by smiths
A lot of early leather armor was boiled in oil by smiths to increase its durability and resistance to weapons, because they were the armourers, and had the hottest fires in the realm that were needed for the process.

I agree that the crafting of CLOTHES may not be related to smiths - but the vast majority of the "tailor" concept in UO (the armour) was for items that typically were made by a smith with leatherworking skills.

F

Flora Green

Thanks for replying to me, Basara. I meant to say I see metals and woods in their own respective forums. Smithing, Tinkering and Mining. Carpentry, Bowcrafting, Lumberjacking and Stonecrafting since it's a sub skill of Carpentry. As usual I typed too fast and didn't proof read. Sorry for the confusion. :) Combing of certain skills does make sense such as the Bard, Detective, etc. Certainly Botany and Nutrition are related.

I should clarify that it's not the combining that bothered me, it's the lack of organiztion. I'm sure as you progress in cleaning up the forum with outdated stickies and such that it will help. I'm not opposed to change so that is not why I've been questiong the alteration in format, rather I liked the efficiency of the old forums. Finding information was usually fast and easy to access. Hopefully it will be again whatever you all decide.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
By the way, the revision of the Tailor FAQ is now mostly done. I've got to add a short section on recipes, update the arcane clothing section, work on a macro/UO Assist/KR section, and clean up the table of contents.

I moved the rare cloth & dye tub sections to the thread I made for crafting guides in general, as they are basically historical trivia and sidebars to the main subject.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm still at a loss as to why Gardening, Cooking, Alchemy and Taste ID are in one forum.
Here's the reasoning: You need Alchemy (potions) for Gardening which you use to make orange petals for one's "nutrition" (health). Alchemy is a part of "player nutrition" in that potions keep you "healthy" or poison you. Cooking makes foods that are also a part of "player nutrition." Taste ID is a compliment skill to Alchemy.

Gardening makes plants that are not part of "Nutrition" and Cooking doesn't have much to do with Gardening, so "UO Botany and Nutrition" seemed like a fitting name to sum the for 3 skills and one profession that are all tied together through one another.