• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

For those that live at the West Coast!! Be Safe!!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As another Floridian... I agree 100%.

People who don't deal with large storms often tend to underestimate the danger they can cause. Don't just assume it will be fine because it isn't category five. A category three can still be extremely dangerous and should be prepared for.

Have a plan to live without electricity, or tap water which can get contaminated, for at least a week. I've personally seen entire sections of a city lose power totally for an entire month after a hurricane people didn't think was a big deal and did not prepare for.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Floridians often call the the gulf coast in florida the west coast. In texas we call it the third coast. and if you happen to be a rapper from houston you call it the "dirty third"

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Floridians often call the the gulf coast in florida the west coast. In texas we call it the third coast. and if you happen to be a rapper from houston you call it the "dirty third"
I lived in Tampa for over 10 yrs, no they don't :p

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I lived in Tampa for over 10 yrs, no they don't :p
It's the ones in Miami and Jacksonville that do that - they really don't want to know what you call them.....

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We say, want to go to the Coast this weekend? Everybody knows you are talking about Galveston, Corpus/Port Aransas, or South Padre.

Noboby thinks they are being invited to Florida, California, or Some eastern state.

Its called The Coast!

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We say, want to go to the Coast this weekend? Everybody knows you are talking about Galveston, Corpus/Port Aransas, or South Padre.

Noboby thinks they are being invited to Florida, California, or Some eastern state.

Its called The Coast!
thats what tourist call it. :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can also confirm it, I've lived in the Miami/Broward areas most of my life. The gulf is frequently called the west coast on this side of the state.

Interestingly, we also call northern Florida and the states above it "the south" despite having to go hundreds of miles north to get there. It causes some funny stares from people not from the area sometimes...

"Hey, where are you going on vacation?"

"Oh I'm going into the south"

"So the keys then?"

"No."

"But... this is Miami... there is nothing else south...."

"Oh I meant Georgia"

"Oh. Ok. (backs out of room with confused look on face)".

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is funny how people from Miami consider Tennessee the south and in Tennessee they consider Florida the Deep South

I have family in Texas my son lives in corpus and my brother is in Dallas

I hope everyone in the storms path is taking the proper protections and going further inland, remember life is far more important than belongings

We will be saying a preyer for you all

swampjumper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes to Us in the swamplands Texas would be the West Coast have many good memories of Texas specially Matagorda Bay and the Island lived in Lampasas our prayers go out to you all and our freinds in the hill country of Tx.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
thats what tourist call it. :)
Guess Im a 54 yr tourist that was born in TX. How long before I'm a resident?

Never heard it called anything but The Coast.

People have bought some stores out of water already. Stories of relatives that want to stay in Corpus are circulating. Hopefully they will get on the road soon. The system will be causing heavy rain all the way to Austin.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Guess Im a 54 yr tourist that was born in TX. How long before I'm a resident?

Never heard it called anything but The Coast.

People have bought some stores out of water already. Stories of relatives that want to stay in Corpus are circulating. Hopefully they will get on the road soon. The system will be causing heavy rain all the way to Austin.
Im In texas. Grew up in corpus. Lived in austin the past 20 years. I also work as a touring sound engineer and have been to almost every city in this state and the next multiple times. I love picking up on how people from different areas of the country call the same thing something different.

My father and sister decided to stay in corpus. They lived threw celia and are hell bent on living through this one. However, they both live in houses that have almost 20ft of clearance with 2 back up generators. worst case my father said he would strap a generator to the boat and go for a nice ride... he is even more of a curmudgeon than myself.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im In texas. Grew up in corpus. Lived in austin the past 20 years. I also work as a touring sound engineer and have been to almost every city in this state and the next multiple times. I love picking up on how people from different areas of the country call the same thing something different.

My father and sister decided to stay in corpus. They lived threw celia and are hell bent on living through this one. However, they both live in houses that have almost 20ft of clearance with 2 back up generators. worst case my father said he would strap a generator to the boat and go for a nice ride... he is even more of a curmudgeon than myself.
Weather channel on in the next room. It looks like its going to hit north of Corpus. But there will be lots of rain and power outages in many areas.

This thing better not hurt The Sandcastle in Port A!!!!

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My niece and her husband just built a 10,000 sf. hunting lodge outside of Bay City, TX (in between Houston and Corpus). They are crossing their fingers!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The joke goes that once you get past a line between Jacksonville, Tallahassee and Pensacola, the further south you go, you are going North in mindset, until you get back to New Jersey again in Miami.....

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
I guess some Folks dont watch News (Maybe they believe that the news are Fake)

Hurricane is hitting Texas and not New Orleans!!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Local news is all over it. There's reporters at every spot that has a name along the coast.

My son is in Houston right now since he was accepted at Rice!! Luckily they will just get 1 or 2 feet of rain. Houston can handle a sprinkle like that. Even tho they just declared Houston as a disaster area.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Man, I'm going to be that guy, it just amazes me on what topics are moved to OT and which ones stay. Seems merely based on the whim or attitude of people at the time they read things.

As a former Floridian myself (Saint Augustine) which is just south of Jacksonville, I've heard it called the West Coast too. Also, the Gulf, obviously..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Man, I'm going to be that guy, it just amazes me on what topics are moved to OT and which ones stay. Seems merely based on the whim or attitude of people at the time they read things.

As a former Floridian myself (Saint Augustine) which is just south of Jacksonville, I've heard it called the West Coast too. Also, the Gulf, obviously..
Why would the people in Texas call something that is East of everybody in Texas, the west coast? :D

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Upgraded to catergory 4.... The eye is headed for the small coastal towns. Hope they decided to spend the weekend at Buckies. Thats far enough away, and plenty of yummy food.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I live in Ohio. We don't have problems with directions here... Crazy Southerners.
PA here, and neither do we: to our east is the state smell (my apologies to any Jersey residents), while the worst drivers in the country are north.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I realize it can seem that way, but for me at least it's more based on a quick checklist in my head. In the case of this thread:

(1) Is it off-topic? Yes
(2) Is it UO related? Kind of, the original post was a UO player giving other UO players safety advice.
(3) Is it harming anything or will it cause drama if it stays in Uhall? No
(4) Was the intent of the thread genuine concern for others safety, or trying to start drama? Concern for safety.
(5) Does it fall into the same category of real world events like holidays and "(insert player name) died in real life" type of threads which have historically been allowed in Uhall? In my opinion yes, safety in a natural disaster affecting many people who post here counts closely enough.

Moderators do have discretion in what to consider off-topic or trolling due to those things having so much gray area that a rule can never be written perfectly for it. Since each moderator has different thoughts on what post is and isn't ok, yes there will be slight differences depending on whose discretion was used that day, but that cannot be completely avoided without requiring every moderator to vote on everything (which doesn't work, we tried it once, it took like three days to handle each report with all the discussion).

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One thing I've learned in life is to have a healthy respect for mother nature. She gives but she can take it away faster than one could ever imagine. I got to ride with a group of tornado chasers in my late 20's. I'm 41 now and the absolute power that mother nature wields is still etched into my mind from that day. Simply awe inspiring. Don't take any chances and please be safe all of you.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note also, in the past, Stratics held a fundraiser for the 2004 Tsunami relief (RMT with EA's blessing at the time), and had started one for Katrina that got cancelled when e-bay kiboshed selling virtual goods and restricting its use as a fundraiser for charities.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems Harvey has dropped to a Category 1 now it's made landfall.
Hope the damage wasn't too bad for those on the coast and everyone is safe and well.

As my mate in Oklahoma says...."Category 1? you mean a bit of light rain".

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The eye hit Rockport TX and caused massive damage to the small community. They were under mandatory evacuation in advance. Victoria TX will experience heavy rainfall for the next few days.

Our news reported the Sheriff of Rockport told the residents, "leave now or get a sharpie and write your name and SS number on your arm so we will know who you are when we find your body." A very direct man.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll tie the thread to uo catptain. We had two short outages but I can't help myself. I spent an hour finding a 2 slot reptalon since I have never got one to 5 without jumping. Thats fixed now. I thought hmm I can get this to 5 slots by tomorrow if I start now. I got it to 63%.

Well the power went out...

The website says it will be back in 4 hours. There's some beers in the fridge and I don't want them to go bad.

Drink to my poor reptalon. 1503787911986107130833.jpg Ya I have a lantern thingy from uo in my yard. Wife hates it.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The good news is, It didn't come 4 weeks later. It would make it a lot tougher for me to catch my flight to the 20th anniversary party! On a more serious note, there is A LOT of rain here. A lot of flooding as well. I personally have power, food, and my home is completely dry, but a bunch of people aren't so lucky.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It looks like Hurricane Katrina all over again.... they are estimating 450,000 people will be displaced so far, and it's not predicted to stop raining for two more days....

The pictures of water being over the roof of some one story homes is incredibly shocking to see.

Hopefully there won't be any UO players who lose everything in real life because of this...

Untitled.png

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Usually the media over exaggerates and blows everything out of proportion, this time not even close.
It seems they didn't stress enough the amount of water that was coming. They just focused on the high winds.

Still have days of down pours left, I hope those that can make it out to higher ground are gettining up.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
WTH is that a retirement home? Why are they there? Poor people. That is heartbreaking.
I saw the news story about that place, it's a nursing home. They tried to evacuate but the mayor of Houston contradicted the governor's evacuation order and told everyone to stay put and "shelter in place." The goal was to prevent all the roads from getting overloaded with cars and creating a gigantic gridlock with everyone trying to leave at the same time, which would have been a safety risk to the trapped cars once the flood waters came.

Since the city wanted people to stay, they were unable to get any assistance in moving all the nursing home residents somewhere safer due to the government emergency services not being willing to go against the mayors instructions by helping them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I saw the news story about that place, it's a nursing home. They tried to evacuate but the mayor of Houston contradicted the governor's evacuation order and told everyone to stay put and "shelter in place." The goal was to prevent all the roads from getting overloaded with cars and creating a gigantic gridlock with everyone trying to leave at the same time, which would have been a safety risk to the trapped cars once the flood waters came.

Since the city wanted people to stay, they were unable to get any assistance in moving all the nursing home residents somewhere safer due to the government emergency services not being willing to go against the mayors instructions by helping them.
This sort of thing is just asinine in this day and age... We have communication and unlike with Tornadoes they KNEW this was coming... this should have been foreseen.... do people forget that quickly .... we knew what happened in Louisiana...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Houston area has almost half the population of TX. The last time they evacuated the roads were clogged for 9 hours. There would have been 10 of thousands of people in cars sitting because the roads flooded within that time and they would need rescued now.

The hurricane was headed for Corpus. It turned right before landfall. The rains in the western ares are causing the flooding. The water runs thru the Houston area.

Staying put was the best they could do with a city with that much population.

My daughters friend is on the nw side of Houston. She has a new baby and they cant leave their neighborhood because streets that leave are flooded.

My son is at Rice University. They have been on lockdown since Saturday. No flooding on the campus. Im glad he is not stuck on some bridge because they made him leave.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey if Y'all wanna help out the folks down home in Texas (I'm Texas born...Texas Bred. Conceived in Dallas and born in Texarkana).
The Mayor of Houston Sylvester Turner has established the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund that will accept tax deductible flood relief donations for victims that have been affected by the recent floods.
GHCF is Greater Houston Community Fund. Also The Humane Society is on their way to help rescue displaced pets. The Salvation Amry from here in Tulsa in on the way with aid. These are also fine organizations to donate to help.
https://ghcf.org/hurricane-relief/
ttps://secure.humanesociety.org/site/Donation2?df_id=22819&22819.donation=form1&s_src=web_ws_hurricane_harvey_id93480558
The Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Services - Harvey Response - The Salvation Army Disaster Services
Any little bit helps! I know Y'all are at heart some really good people and like to help when times are tough and the chips are down.
God Bless, Texas cause they sure need it right now!