• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fix Factions (Here are my Suggestions)

Do you like the idea of having FACTION Dungeons?

• Total voters

Tailean

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, this post will most likely be longer than I like, however I feel the following is needed to not only "FIX" Factions but to make it what it was originally supposed to be:

#1. Fix Faction Points
As it is now, after the last "Terrible" publish, Faction points are so messed up that most people either are Quitting Factions or in some cases quitting the game all together.

How to Fix this:
There are many ways they can fix this, however what is the best way? In my humble opinion the answer is to allow the people to spend their points to buy "FACTION ONLY" Items. This will help keep the number of kill points down and allow people to maintain a rank (that is if Rank would even be needed). Wouldn't it be nice to spend those hard earned points on something you have been saving for?

#2. Make Faction Dungeons
Right now if a Faction player wants to go fight other faction members without the fear of non-Faction interference they are limited to the faction bases. This would help seprate Faction fighting and classic UO "RED VS BLUE" fighting. Also, Faction players have no "Real" way to make money in this game. I think Creating Faction dungeons is the answer.

How can this be done?:
There is many ways it can be done, but I am only going to list my opinion on the best way to do this. The dungeons should be different than all the other one already in UO. I propose faction dungeons where each room would contain a "FACTION ALTER". You and your faction would kill all monsters in the room and then all would stand on the alter. The alter would then change color to your faction color, and that would indicate that your faction "Owns the Room". Once your faction owns all rooms a boss appears. This boss would have drops that all people would want "Including the Trammies" This way it would entice others from Tram to go to Fel and or will at least create revenue for faction players. The boss would also have rare "Faction Only" Drops, that would make the faction players do these dungeons from sun up to sun down.

#3. Kill Faction members in tram
Why would anyone not think that this is fair? I mean you make a choice to join the factions, because they want cool gear. I simply think I should be able to fight an opposing faction member anywhere.

Anyways, that's my two cents. That would make the game so much more fun I believe. If you agree feel free to send your feedback to UO. I honstly don't think they ignore us. They just try to do what they can when they can. ;)

hobbit35

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In all I think this is a wonderful suggestion and certainly a starting point, from what we have now! One thing OSI did was increase the value of Trammie items, Orny, Crystilline ring, and reading glasses. Thank you for the post Tailean.

Remember Salt is better than pepper!!!

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
#3. Kill Faction members in tram
Why would anyone not think that this is fair?
1. Skirts around the issue, which has nothing to do with Trammel. The issue was Fellies who did not play Factions for Factions' sake but as a means to get items and, to a lesser degree, as an excuse to fight. They would then use the Artifacts in Yew Gate PvP, Champ Spawns, etc.

2. Deprives Factioners of a place to rest, enjoy other aspects of the game, interact with one another in a less-unfriendly manner (I remember selling a Sign of Chaos shield to a Shadowlord member a year or so ago), hurts the long-term viability of a system that's already likely past the point of viability even under present conditions. (Order/Chaos was eventually killed and no one missed it, or at least no one spoke publicly about missing it, until it very recently when suddenly it was remembered more fondly in retrospect than it was regarded at the time.)

3. Does not fit the fiction, which is that Factions is a war specifically for the Felucca facet.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

Tailean

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Skirts around the issue, which has nothing to do with Trammel. The issue was Fellies who did not play Factions for Factions' sake but as a means to get items and, to a lesser degree, as an excuse to fight. They would then use the Artifacts in Yew Gate PvP, Champ Spawns, etc.

2. Deprives Factioners of a place to rest, enjoy other aspects of the game, interact with one another in a less-unfriendly manner (I remember selling a Sign of Chaos shield to a Shadowlord member a year or so ago), hurts the long-term viability of a system that's already likely past the point of viability even under present conditions. (Order/Chaos was eventually killed and no one missed it, or at least no one spoke publicly about missing it, until it very recently when suddenly it was remembered more fondly in retrospect than it was regarded at the time.)

3. Does not fit the fiction, which is that Factions is a war specifically for the Felucca facet.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player
Not to be disrespectful but I honestly don't think you made 1 viable argument.

#1. Factions was never meant for trammies ever at all. It was created for pvp.

#2. How does having Faction Dungeons deprive Factioners a place of rest?

#3. Faction was originally designed for the whole world. Now more facets have been added....Factions should spread across all the facets.

If I have mis understood somthing...plz let me know...but I can't seem to understand the points you are trying to make. Thanks

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to be disrespectful but I honestly don't think you made 1 viable argument.
*chuckle* Of course you don't.

#1. Factions was never meant for trammies ever at all. It was created for pvp.
I said nothing about Factions being meant for Trammies. So, yeah. You have neatly ignored the important point that the real issue here is not, and has never been, these mostly-mythical Trammies who get Faction Artifacts then never touch Felucca. It's Fellies who get Faction Artifacts then use them for everything except Factions.

#2. How does having Faction Dungeons deprive Factioners a place of rest?
I did not address your Faction Dungeon proposal at all. Please note the aspects of your post which I actually responded to.

#3. Faction was originally designed for the whole world. Now more facets have been added....Factions should spread across all the facets.
Original Publish Notes for Factions:

ORIGIN - Ultima Online - Main

Note the date. December 2000.

Trammel came in with the UO: Renaissance expansion.

Ultima Online: Renaissance - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Note the date. May 2000.

Which comes first, May or December? From that, deduce whether Factions or Trammel came first.

-Galen's player

Tailean

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I said nothing about Factions being meant for Trammies. So, yeah. You have neatly ignored the important point that the real issue here is not, and has never been, these mostly-mythical Trammies who get Faction Artifacts then never touch Felucca. It's Fellies who get Faction Artifacts then use them for everything except Factions.
Well lets see now, Could you introduce to me the Fel pvpers that use Faction Artifacts for something other than pvp? Because I have been pvping since Beta and I havent meet any pvpers that don't pvp....weird

Above shows you responded to my #2 suggestion...that was faction dungeons.....you may want to go back and read my #2. Perhaps reading the content before you respond would be helpful?
Original Publish Notes for Factions:

ORIGIN - Ultima Online - Main

Note the date. December 2000.

Trammel came in with the UO: Renaissance expansion.

Ultima Online: Renaissance - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Note the date. May 2000.

Which comes first, May or December? From that, deduce whether Factions or Trammel came first.
Well, I do got to give you some credit on this one. At least you did a little research before you responded. With that being said it would look as if you have a valid point here. However, you are missing one very important fact. Factions was being worked on long before the year 2000. As a matter of fact Origins released an official report of up coming content in Oct of 1998. It was said that they were creating factions to give pvpers a different kind of pvp experience.

It is interesting to me that you would try to challenge the facts. Feel free to voice your opinion if you like...but facts are facts =].

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had an actual reply here, then I realized it was pointless. You've so-obviously and so-willfully distorted what I said (for example: I in no way responded to the Faction Dungeons proposal; everything I said was clearly in response to the Factions in Trammel proposal) that to respond is to join in a flame war, and flame wars are not my style. I just have to hope the readers see through your distortions and read my actual words.

*shrugs*

Oh well. Fabricating is an excellent tactics here on Stratics; all the best people do it.

-Galen's player

Tailean

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*shakes head*

I have to assume you're being misleading on purpose, because anyone who can read, as you clearly can, should realize that I was talking about Factions, not about PvP. Not all PvP is Factions. There's other PvP things in the game besides Factions. PvPers do a whole lot of things that are not Factions. And that's what you all used the Faction Artifacts for, not for Factions.

Again: You're clearly being misleading on purpose, because I clearly offered 3 points in opposition to your suggestion 3, which was to bring Factions into Trammel. None of what I said makes any sense, whatsoever, in response to the Faction Dungeons.

Again: You know this and are clearly being misleading on purpose.

I did. Perhaps you could respond honestly.

Fact: Factions were introduced into the live game after Trammel. Why are you denying this when you saw the backup links?

Oh, wait. You're being misleading on purpose again.

Making stuff up and being misleading, or outright lying, is unfortunately a very effective tactic here on Stratics. One could even call it favored. I won't engage in it, though.

-Galen's player
Look, clearly you are angry/frustrated about me pointing out some of the points you made that clearly don't make sense and I get that. But I addressed everything you said and in most, if not all cases you were the one in fact being misleading. Like posting when factions was released but conveniently not mentioning 1998 press release that almost everyone knew about that played back then. Please try to do some research when attempting to cover facts....that's all I am saying. One last thing....you said: " PvPers do a whole lot of things that are not Factions. And that's what you all used the Faction Artifacts for, not for Factions."

Lets break this down and see what you meant the first part is: " PvPers do a whole lot of things that are not Factions."
I would like to see a list of the "Whole Lot" of thing non faction pvpers do? My list shows 2 things: Yew gate fight, and spawns(Rarely)!

The second part says: " And that's what you all used the Faction Artifacts for, not for Factions."
WHAT on EARTH does that mean?
So you are saying: We non faction pvpers all used the faction Artifacts, for non factions? How can you do that? Are you saying non faction pvpers can wear faction gear? How do you do that? I think that would be some hack or something.

See what I am saying.... you are SO very UNCLEAR when you type. Please re-read what you type and make sure it makes sense.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look, clearly you are angry/frustrated about me pointing out some of the points you made that clearly don't make sense and I get that. But I addressed everything you said and in most, if not all cases you were the one in fact being misleading. Like posting when factions was released but conveniently not mentioning 1998 press release that almost everyone knew about that played back then. Please try to do some research when attempting to cover facts....that's all I am saying. One last thing....you said: " PvPers do a whole lot of things that are not Factions. And that's what you all used the Faction Artifacts for, not for Factions."

Lets break this down and see what you meant the first part is: " PvPers do a whole lot of things that are not Factions."
I would like to see a list of the "Whole Lot" of thing non faction pvpers do? My list shows 2 things: Yew gate fight, and spawns(Rarely)!

The second part says: " And that's what you all used the Faction Artifacts for, not for Factions."
WHAT on EARTH does that mean?
So you are saying: We non faction pvpers all used the faction Artifacts, for non factions? How can you do that? Are you saying non faction pvpers can wear faction gear? How do you do that? I think that would be some hack or something.

See what I am saying.... you are SO very UNCLEAR when you type. Please re-read what you type and make sure it makes sense.

Honestly this post is so unclear I have a hard time understanding it. It could simply be that you respond not to what I type, but to what you wished I had.

I get that.

The culture here on Stratics is that you can be accurate, or you can "win." I choose the former where possible. It's also cute, the way you can respond to my post with an exact quotation of it almost a full hour after I decided it wasn't worth it to fight a flame war.

-Galen's player

Tailean

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I don't think you were very accurate with anything you said. This could be due to your unclear posts that responds to the wrong post. The truth is, I am happy you have an opinion on this matter (although I am unsure what your opinion is due to your unclear responses). You clearly don't like what I posted here..and if that is the case why respond? I am against Post Bashing....so you will always see me stick up for people =/.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
*looks at the posts.... scratches head..... scratches butt..... sniffs finger.... moves on*

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faction Fighting in trammel should be alowed it makes sense and seems the best cure for trammies keeping arties in trammel and galen every solo pvmer was in factions why wouldnt u?.

I see no downside to it if players dont want any pvp risk dont goto fel and dont join factions. From recent posts etc its painfully clear to me people believe pvp is about 1 v 1 only and not loosing your loot if you die (arenas).

What they did to factions was just a total rewrite without taking any of our view into consideration which is pretty much how its been this this dev team took over. The old system worked fine they should have just reset points to 0 and sent us on our way sure wed loose our armour for a while but we keep battling and we know we will get to a high enough rank.

The system id rather see which i think is simple enough is to set a max amount of points and have ranks fixed at certain levels. i.e.

Rank 10 - 220 - 240
Rank 9 - 200 - 219
Rank 8 - 170 - 199
Rank 7 - 150 - 169
Rank 6 - 130 - 149
Rank 5 - 110 - 129
Rank 4 - 80 - 109
Rank 3 - 50 - 79
Rank 2 - 30 - 49
Rank 1 - 10 - 29

Keep the decay rate (if you wish) Then you if u die you risk loosing rank you kill people you gain rank. I dont see why its so hard to do set a cap then noone can stay rank 10 forever and it dosnt hurt your fellow factioneers. If you leave the decay in then people who leave or log off for a long time will eventally loose rank but at least they will be able to climb the ladder and get back to rank 10 if they so desire.

Current system trammies are just farming sigils.

Don't Tread on Me

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't know about a faction dungeon. It seems very exclusive and thus, not cool. Plus, faction players don't want to do pvm, they want to pvp! (I hope at least, I know I do) Trying to force people into factions isn't going to work. Letting them come is the only way. Making the faction system a fun organization for pvp will bring more pvpers into the system. Extending it to trammel is a HUGE mistake, though it's tempting to be able to jack the faction guy rocking boss-X. It's not the 90s anymore and trammel and fel are seperate, lets just all accept that fact and move on already. Oh, and your haircut sucks too.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had an actual reply here, then I realized it was pointless.
-Galen's player
Galen, good try.
All this player wants is
#1 More sheep in Fel.
#2 The return of his Faction Arties so he can go PK Blue PvMers doing champ spawns.

Here is one of his statements that proves he is full of it when it comes to Factions.
All of Fel was NOT put into Factions. Only certain cities and your Faction stronghold. Please show us when and where any other part of Fel was added to this.

I have been to Fel on many shards and the Faction Cities are dead. So all you Fellie (yes I use this word in the same way as you use the word Trammie) Faction players are just abusing a system to get Faction Arties to PK and control Spawns. PKing Blue non-Faction players doing a Spawn is not and has never been part of Factions but oh boy do you do it all the time. LOL