• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

fishing

N

nemo

Can anyone tell me if the map in KR is broken. I decided to get my fisherman out for the first time with this client but when i enter the map coordinates they aren't where they should be, ie some are on land.

Also the map only seems to let you set one way point before it gets stuck and i have to re start the client, i have KR installed on 2 pc's and they both do it.

I also had a look for uo auto map to run with 2d but that doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Any advice from someone who fishes with KR would be greatly appreciated

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Haven't tried it for that purpose, but I believe there's a section about it over on spellweave.com. I know there were a few threads on getting it to work on the KR forum before Stratics broke.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also id love to see Automap fixed for 2D. It hasnt worked for me in ages.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
if you mean UOAM it works fine for me there was a update posted on stratics forum a while back

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Haven't tried it for that purpose, but I believe there's a section about it over on spellweave.com. I know there were a few threads on getting it to work on the KR forum before Stratics broke.
It's times like this I miss the profession forums! :(

L

LadyArden

I did a fishing map the other day with no problem in KR, but I used the game's Sextant to give me the coordinates (not Automap) and it worked just fine. The coordinates it gave were spot on and i fished up the loot no problem. Have you tried the Sextant? I bought it for a few gp from I think the tinker in Luna. Cheers and happy fishing!

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK yes, the coords in UOKR do not work for entering in an SOS

This has been the case since the first instance of waypoints being entered and even when supposedly 'fixed' to add SOS's firstly they put the data entry in opposite to the way an SOS is written with the last coords before the first, then they still didn't work. Any SOS entered directly into KR will never be found if you try to use that system.

However, months ago, in fact not long after waypoints were introduced, I uploaded an excel document to the map page on spellweave.com which allows you to enter all sos's you have, automatically converts it to the X:Y coordinate that uoam used to use then converts it to the xml data which you then copy into the waypoints.xml file in your User Data folder.

All the instructions are on the KR Client User Guide on the above site (follow the KR link)

I generally enter around 80 sos's then upload, fish them up and then do the next lot and it works fine. Make sure you are on the entry tab on the spreadsheet and just type your coords into the pale blue area, the yellow xml area is the 'text' you copy to your waypoints file. I use the little anchor icon for my waypoint icon on my maps when selecting the graphic for my custom icon.

There are also macro examples on the macro page for fishing while moving and fishing while stationery, both work well and if you enjoy fishing then KR is the ONLY way to fish, lol, trust me I have fished thousands of sos's up in both 2d and KR and once you get used to KR then it is the only way to go.

If you have any problem with the spreadsheet pm me and I am happy to assist you.

A

Azureal

There are also macro examples on the macro page for fishing while moving and fishing while stationery, both work well and if you enjoy fishing then KR is the ONLY way to fish, lol, trust me I have fished thousands of sos's up in both 2d and KR and once you get used to KR then it is the only way to go.

If you have any problem with the spreadsheet pm me and I am happy to assist you.
Why?

Ive also done "1000's" of MiBs over the years, all of them in 2D. Never had a problem with co-ords, never had to do data entry on a spreadsheet, can sort and fish a batch of MiBs without even entering the co-ords into UOAM (you need to learn how co-ords work in the first place).

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why for a number of reasons:

1: The main reason is you need no other program, ie third party program such as uoam (to load in your sos's) or uoassist (to set macros) plus whatever other things needed such as uorudder (steering) or using mulitple keybindings in the 2d macro system to left right etc etc. KR is all in one. Other than excel which is basically a mass data entry utility in this case you need nothing else.

2: The second reason is by manipulating the xml you can enter in hundreds of sos's in one go, rather than how you had to do it in uoam by entering each as a separate data creation entry by placing a label. Even tho you still need to manually enter the coords into both, creating labels is way more time consuming than using data entry in a straight spreadsheet format which is 1000% times quicker with tab and enter and to copy and paste the text into the waypoint xml takes all of 5 seconds.

3. Looting the chests in KR is magic, because all the chest loot is presorted into Gold, items, scrolls, regs, gems, nets from the top down in the chest so basically you can grab what you want without wading through tiny jumbled 2d backpacks for it. When you have 45 items in a chest and you really only want the gold, and gems or gold and scrolls etc you will instantly see the difference in time and effort to loot chests. This ALONE would be one reason to fish in KR not needing to mess with loot and seeing at a glance what you want out of chest without needing to wade through the lot.

4. The KR zoom functions and waypoint settings show me ON SCREEN where my sos is, by adding an ingame icon to show in game and and icon on the map so when fishing i can zoom out on the map, see where it is and head in that direction etc. As I get closer I just zoom in.

5. The KR macro function allows you to fish in one spot at the touch of a button or keybinding. Depending on how you set it up you can fish for a long , long time before needing to rehit the macro, tho generally the fish will stop biting before you stop fishing lol, and to fish continuously while sailing, while you still need to 'target' the water, you can sail half way round the globe never needing to touch your macro, just click the water (This would be fixed as soon as someone in the dev team allows a fishing pole to be added to the target by resource function *hint*, or a 'target relative' *hint' function is added) but still, I have never had any problems just clicking the water as long as I don't need to have to click the pole lol and target.

This first pic shows how my desktop is setup for fishing, you see the blue glowing dot in the ocean that is the spot of an sos. Obviously the pic is greatly reduced in size as my monitor is 22" widescreen, however you can also see my boat controls, my backpack open, my bugs pack open and the jnl and map.

This pic shows a zoomed in pic of the map, my boat is the little black dot near the lower sos position.

Because I can enter a whole bunch of sos's really easily once entered you can zoom your map right out to a 'world' view to see where clusters of sos's are to determine which area you will fish.

The area we were just looking at is circled in the above pic, so as you can see it is so easy at a glance to see where I need to go next once I have fished up all the ones round skara. While uoam lets you see you are constantly needing to change the view settings etc to get the same thing and doing it in KR is so much easier as is just a mouse wheel zoom in and out which you can do while you sail and fish along. Getting a world view in uoam is a pain in the butt unless you run it on a dual monitor. Plus it is not on your screen and you are flicking between tabs to get the same functionality.

KR, also gives you the option to just fish using the ingame icon and not use the map at all but just cruise around til you find a blue dot. This can be fun sometimes if your just out to get serps but don't want to sail past a chest spot on your way.

Like I said I have fished for years in 3d then 2d and now KR and for my money you can't beat KR for functionality. Now if the devs implemented a multi data entry point for sos's that actually put the sos where the darn thing is we would be 10,000 times better off lol, and could do away with excel, however, the excel sheet takes all the pain out of data entry so until such time as something better is implemented then for me it is the only way to go.

"OH" !!! and another great function of being able to add in sos's via xml is if you regularly fish with someone you can send them your waypoints to add to their map, just make sure you use a different icon set to the ones you use, and it means whoever has the boat key can steer in the direction of the nearest sos, irrespective of whose it is. At one point I had my map set with the sos's of 2 other players when we fished regularly together, just meant manipulating the xml which took five minutes before an outing with their new code and updated sos's if they had added any, by deleting what you put in them before and refreshing with the update.

Regards

J

Jafanarae

I play in KR, but I switched to 2D the other day when I went out on an SOS fishing trip.

I'll definitely give your method a go next time!

A

Azureal

Reason No. 3 is in itself pretty awesome, I will admit. I only ever keep gems, scrolls and gold nowadays. I used to keep all the weps and armor for smelting, but I have several hundred K of iron ingots I'll never use anyway.

Hmm...

N

nemo

Thank you very much Miss Echo, i'm now off to download that excel sheet and set up my macro :)

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One other thing, when you are ready to copy paste into your xml file make sure you log out of your char, and close the client, then copy paste and relog in. I find that sometimes if you stay logged in or the client is still open it picks up the last waypoint file not the one just saved for some reason, so is best to just shut down, do it and relog.

Another thing is if your not used to playing in KR then sure it will seem really strange for a while, especially as the world map is not 'tilted' the same way as the game screen, so when sailing to an sos, it is better to steer off the map rather than looking at the screen, forward in KR map is to the top mid centre of map not to the top right corner, while the boat is going to the top right on screen lol, if you understand what I mean.

Also once you fish up an sos, remember to 'delete' it (right click on the waypoint on the map, select 'edit waypoint' and 'delete'. Must remember to delete or you will end up in a pickle :stir:

L

Lord Richard

Why for a number of reasons:

1: The main reason is you need no other program, ie third party program such as uoam (to load in your sos's) or uoassist (to set macros) plus whatever other things needed such as uorudder (steering) or using mulitple keybindings in the 2d macro system to left right etc etc. KR is all in one. Other than excel which is basically a mass data entry utility in this case you need nothing else.

2: The second reason is by manipulating the xml you can enter in hundreds of sos's in one go, rather than how you had to do it in uoam by entering each as a separate data creation entry by placing a label. Even tho you still need to manually enter the coords into both, creating labels is way more time consuming than using data entry in a straight spreadsheet format which is 1000% times quicker with tab and enter and to copy and paste the text into the waypoint xml takes all of 5 seconds.

3. Looting the chests in KR is magic, because all the chest loot is presorted into Gold, items, scrolls, regs, gems, nets from the top down in the chest so basically you can grab what you want without wading through tiny jumbled 2d backpacks for it. When you have 45 items in a chest and you really only want the gold, and gems or gold and scrolls etc you will instantly see the difference in time and effort to loot chests. This ALONE would be one reason to fish in KR not needing to mess with loot and seeing at a glance what you want out of chest without needing to wade through the lot.

4. The KR zoom functions and waypoint settings show me ON SCREEN where my sos is, by adding an ingame icon to show in game and and icon on the map so when fishing i can zoom out on the map, see where it is and head in that direction etc. As I get closer I just zoom in.

5. The KR macro function allows you to fish in one spot at the touch of a button or keybinding. Depending on how you set it up you can fish for a long , long time before needing to rehit the macro, tho generally the fish will stop biting before you stop fishing lol, and to fish continuously while sailing, while you still need to 'target' the water, you can sail half way round the globe never needing to touch your macro, just click the water (This would be fixed as soon as someone in the dev team allows a fishing pole to be added to the target by resource function *hint*, or a 'target relative' *hint' function is added) but still, I have never had any problems just clicking the water as long as I don't need to have to click the pole lol and target.

This first pic shows how my desktop is setup for fishing, you see the blue glowing dot in the ocean that is the spot of an sos. Obviously the pic is greatly reduced in size as my monitor is 22" widescreen, however you can also see my boat controls, my backpack open, my bugs pack open and the jnl and map.

This pic shows a zoomed in pic of the map, my boat is the little black dot near the lower sos position.

Because I can enter a whole bunch of sos's really easily once entered you can zoom your map right out to a 'world' view to see where clusters of sos's are to determine which area you will fish.

The area we were just looking at is circled in the above pic, so as you can see it is so easy at a glance to see where I need to go next once I have fished up all the ones round skara. While uoam lets you see you are constantly needing to change the view settings etc to get the same thing and doing it in KR is so much easier as is just a mouse wheel zoom in and out which you can do while you sail and fish along. Getting a world view in uoam is a pain in the butt unless you run it on a dual monitor. Plus it is not on your screen and you are flicking between tabs to get the same functionality.

KR, also gives you the option to just fish using the ingame icon and not use the map at all but just cruise around til you find a blue dot. This can be fun sometimes if your just out to get serps but don't want to sail past a chest spot on your way.

Like I said I have fished for years in 3d then 2d and now KR and for my money you can't beat KR for functionality. Now if the devs implemented a multi data entry point for sos's that actually put the sos where the darn thing is we would be 10,000 times better off lol, and could do away with excel, however, the excel sheet takes all the pain out of data entry so until such time as something better is implemented then for me it is the only way to go.

"OH" !!! and another great function of being able to add in sos's via xml is if you regularly fish with someone you can send them your waypoints to add to their map, just make sure you use a different icon set to the ones you use, and it means whoever has the boat key can steer in the direction of the nearest sos, irrespective of whose it is. At one point I had my map set with the sos's of 2 other players when we fished regularly together, just meant manipulating the xml which took five minutes before an outing with their new code and updated sos's if they had added any, by deleting what you put in them before and refreshing with the update.

Regards
Ya know if fishing was this hard to learn, I would have never made a fisherman 7 years ago. I just use uoam and sail north or south so be in the correct longitude, then east or west to finish it out...takes a lil brain power, not a $300 microsoft program and years of education to be proficient at using it. Gee whiz, Wally, I thought this was a game, not a college exam. Although I can appreciate your expertise in the word processing department.
*wanders off mumbling something about power point, excell, word, corell, avast, me heartys!!*pulls out sextant to see where bank is**

N

nemo

Got it all set up and it works really well....thanks again.

One last question. When you set your fishing macro what time delay did you put between casts? I am testing it to see how low i can go but as you've already done yours it would be handy if you could let me know

E

Emil IsTemp

It's times like this I miss the profession forums! :(
Me too... figure ill post my question here.. seems like the closest thread, and I dont wanna start a new one for a 10-year n00b question. =)

I gave up on trying to get 3.2mil fish steaks for the glasses... forget it.. not gonna happen.. lol. So I started cooking them in stacks, and only cooked like 3 stacks of 4k before the gains stopped.. around 44 i think..

Do i need to break them down now? Or perhaps switch to somthing else to cook? Or is there some timer of sorts?

Or maybe the friggin npc would accept white pears or SOS's? Oh wait.. that makes too much sense now.. sorry devs.. ill try to be ignorant..

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Got it all set up and it works really well....thanks again.

One last question. When you set your fishing macro what time delay did you put between casts? I am testing it to see how low i can go but as you've already done yours it would be handy if you could let me know
between 8 and 8.4 mainly as i just move the slider and don't worry if they are all identical lol

but if you want just copy this to your xml file it will give you both macros as I have mine set:

<UserAction type="Macro" id="60" name="fishing still" icon="2019" repeatEnabled="true" repeatCount="6" binding="">
<UserAction type="UseItem" id="1085148007" targetType="Cursor" iconId="3519" />
<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" delay="8.02" />
<UserAction type="LastObject" id="0" targetType="Cursor" />
<UserAction type="CursorTargetLast" id="0" />
<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" delay="8.19" />
<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" delay="8.16" />
</UserAction>
<UserAction type="Macro" id="61" name="fishing moving" icon="679" repeatEnabled="true" repeatCount="10" binding="">
<UserAction type="UseItem" id="1085148007" targetType="Cursor" iconId="3519" />
<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" delay="8.36" />
<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" delay="8.10" />
<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" delay="8.28" />
<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" delay="8.36" />
</UserAction>

The only thing you need to make sure you do is the change the MACRO ID numbers 60 & 61 to reflect the next macro numbers you are on. I have highlighted both and the names of both macros for your reference.

The other thing you need to change is the use item id number for your fishing pole, if you create a macro using your pole and then check the xml it will give you the number of your pole, so just create a simple macro with a use item and put in the pole and then look it up in your file and copy your number over mine.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya know if fishing was this hard to learn, I would have never made a fisherman 7 years ago. I just use uoam and sail north or south so be in the correct longitude, then east or west to finish it out...takes a lil brain power, not a $300 microsoft program and years of education to be proficient at using it. Gee whiz, Wally, I thought this was a game, not a college exam. Although I can appreciate your expertise in the word processing department.
*wanders off mumbling something about power point, excell, word, corell, avast, me heartys!!*pulls out sextant to see where bank is**
Yes well a LOT of people have excel as it is the most commonly used spreadsheet program and has been industry standard for years, as for being 'hard to learn' well nothing needs to be learned as the spreadsheet is already done for you, all you need to do is enter your co-ords and copy the xml text, it is not rocket science. In fact the spreadsheet is password protected for 'dummies' so the ONLY thing they can do is put in the data off their sos and copy/paste into their xml data file. It is a darn sight easier to learn than all the functions of uoam ever was lol. I guess people forget that, as they also forget how difficult uo assist was when they first got it. Some people just balk at any kind of change I guess.

LOL I just like to be 'efficient' in how I play my game and hate wasting time doing things the hard way when there are easier ways to do it. I am too busy and have too many UO interests and stuff to do to be bothered doing stuff the slow way.

hehe maybe we should have a race, you fish your way, I will fish mine and we see who can get the most up in an hour or so lol! j/k

But each to their own :sword: If you play KR and fish, this is great for you :thumbup:, if you don't well it does not bother me in the slightest :thumbup1: *wanders off mumbling something about uoam, uoassist, uorudder, uo illegal programs, me heartys!!*pulls out sextant wonders which museum to put it in :lick:*

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL
Ain't no way!!! To each their own, but if thats what it takes in KR, forget it!
The sos tells ya the coords, the sextant tells ya where ya are. Take one look, say Forward Left!, and off you go :)

LOL next thing will be, you just click the sos and it puts the loot in your pack :/

And totally off topic, but comeon Devs, You didnt even tilt the map to match the gameworld? OMG, how totally un-Ultima is that?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You can still use the SOS coordinates and a sextant in KR. People wanted UOAM functionality in the new client, and there it is (to a certain degree in some ways and improved in others).

The ONLY Ultima Prime game that used a "tilted" viewpoint was Ultima 8, and that wasn't even on Britannia/Sosaria (however since it IS the basis of the engine and many of the UO graphics, that's what UO uses as well... point being that the tilted map is NOT somehow unique or even really all that significant to Ultima in general (even UOAM allows the map to be viewed right-side up as well as the maps in Inside UO (the actual map.mul files) are viewed right side up as well.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
sheesh, yes well if you want fish exactly the same as in 2d you can, grab your sextant and just do it, it 'doesn't take anything but a sextant' to do it in either KR or 2d, it just depends on whether you want to be efficient in fishing up sos's or not. I just prefer to get 40 sos's up per trip rather than a dozen and to not wade through copious amounts of junk items when looting.

Do you double click your fishing pole and then target the water? or heaven forbid, do you have some kind of macro to do this? *wonders about all the purists out there*

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think I'll stick to fishing in 2d with UOAM...... works just fine for me.....

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I get lost at sea so I make my uo hubby man the boat while I lay on the lounge chair wearing my sunglasses, sipping my drink, while I play my macro we there yet?