• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] First impressions

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn`t get to test it out as much as I wanted, but I just wanted to note down what I saw.

I set the fps up to 60 and it responded beautifully. Not even 2D is that smooth. Very responsive, very sleek. Some staggering in Luna though...

I like the flexilibility of the hotbars, that you can move them around as you please. I like the colour palette they have chosen for the icons on the hotbar as well.

I did notice the edge thing as discussed in another thread, but didn`t do anything about it. Maybe later. It didn`t bother me all that much, since I now know I can do something about it.

Some of the colours have lost their highlights it seems, as bloodwood, heartwood and oak seems a bit darker in this client than in the 2D. I might have to redecorate....

Theres some problems with proportions I find. The fire beetle for example is huuuuge compared to the blue beetle, and the placement of the character on the fire beetle is.. weird.

Adore the new map. Love it! Fantastic work. With some added features I can see it replace UOam completely.

Yes to legacy settings on containers - and they are now the same proportions about as in 2D. But, the mouse pointer is off a bit. Can be really frustrating when you can try to pick up things from the backpack.

I had some iffy problems going through 2 south open doorways in my castle - the middle south one and the NE one. My character behaved as there were walls there. On the NE one there might be problems with a goza mat that is heightened a bit, as I found out when I tried to go down from the goza mat stairway from the roof - I couldn`t. Do they work differently in SA than in 2D? Do I need to lower a mat now in order to walk on it?

Crafting menu - I was a bit dissapointed in not seeing either features from UOassist there, or even some choices from KR. Maybe they are working on it I don`t know. But before any new features is in place, SA is worse in that regard than both 2D with UOassist and KR. I didn´t get to play around with macros, and will probably need some real upgrading in how I do that properly.

Overall graphic: I must admit my heart sank a little when I saw screenshots of SA, as it was so like 2D but in fullscreen. After thinking about it a bit, and checking it out now I find that I rather enjoy that. And it might be easier for old 2D players to get used to. It does seem more finished than KR was in this stage, more complete. Monster graphics is overall good I think. But.. and here comes my main complaint apart from the whole crafting thing:

The paperdoll. That was the worst from KR and sadly SA has inherited it. The colurs gets dull when worn - for example the pale orange oak leaf cloak is now a dirty brown on the paperdoll. Again - might be something in construction, not sure.

I rely on 3 programs to run UO. The 2D client, UO assist and UOam. Those 3 are UO for me. It`s all about functionality. I would have used KR as well if it had the same overall performance as those 3 together. Overall I think I could get used to fire SA up instead of 2D. I would gladly move over if the functions from UOassist was implemented. Either from the dev team or from a third party. The map is already promising to be more than UOam was.

A hopeful thumbs up from me.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Serafi, I believe it is the closed doors on the lower floor of the castle preventing movement above, but I have no idea why.... try opening the doors and running upstairs, you'll see what I mean

on the back walkway there is just one tile blocked because the doors below are not centered under that walk

try it, let us know if you find the same

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks DevilsOwn - I will try that when I get to play again.

S

slavoie

Sorry but my first impression is I will continue to play the 2d client.

Not because the graffics are not cool, cause actually when I dont plan on fighting monsters or players I might actually play this new client but it is nothing more then KR for me, something that is slow, laggy and hard to use.

T

TheGrayGhost

Sorry but my first impression is I will continue to play the 2d client.

Not because the graffics are not cool, cause actually when I dont plan on fighting monsters or players I might actually play this new client but it is nothing more then KR for me, something that is slow, laggy and hard to use.
This is what confuses me. Having played KR, 2D and now SA......... what do you mean by slow, laggy and hard to use? KR ran smoother than 2D ever did, well after some tweaks. SA is running faster and smoother than 2D as well and haven't even tweaked it yet outside of the user settings in game.

2D was stable

KR was faster and smoother

SA seems to have the stability of 2D and the performance of KR so far.

What are youre comp specs if I may ask? That may be why we see the clients so differently.

G

guum

My very early impressions:

On the whole, it looks like a big improvement for me over the KR client in some ways, but unfortunately not the crucial one...there are a lot of little UI improvements which fix glaring problems in KR (like when you try to assign a hotkey that is already in use, instead of just saying "that hotkey's already in use!", now you get the option to overwrite it).

Personally, I *really* like the look of it...I know that this has been poo-poo'd on UHall, and I agree that it does look old school, possibly even more old-school than 2D, but I'm fine with that. It's an old school game. Waterfalls still look like crap though...please fix those.

The (possible) big problem: I'm still getting all my hotkeys set up and such, so I haven't dared to go out into a champ spawn, but I'm going to guessing that the SA client is going to choke just like the KR one did...even just running around Zento, where my house is, the game does *not* run smoothly...it stutters a *lot*, just like KR did. I have a one-year-old dedicated videocard, and it runs games that are a lot more demanding than this one should be with ease. Personally, I liked KR on the whole, and I played exclusively with it for several months, until I got to the point where I just didn't have the patience for dying constantly due to the client dropping down to about 2-3 FPS in crowded areas. If the devs can get this client so that it actually runs smoothly on my machine, chances are excellent I'll use it, but I'm not going to bother with a new client if it can't even run smoothly in Zento.

T

TheGrayGhost

My very early impressions:

On the whole, it looks like a big improvement for me over the KR client in some ways, but unfortunately not the crucial one...there are a lot of little UI improvements which fix glaring problems in KR (like when you try to assign a hotkey that is already in use, instead of just saying "that hotkey's already in use!", now you get the option to overwrite it).

Personally, I *really* like the look of it...I know that this has been poo-poo'd on UHall, and I agree that it does look old school, possibly even more old-school than 2D, but I'm fine with that. It's an old school game. Waterfalls still look like crap though...please fix those.

The (possible) big problem: I'm still getting all my hotkeys set up and such, so I haven't dared to go out into a champ spawn, but I'm going to guessing that the SA client is going to choke just like the KR one did...even just running around Zento, where my house is, the game does *not* run smoothly...it stutters a *lot*, just like KR did. I have a one-year-old dedicated videocard, and it runs games that are a lot more demanding than this one should be with ease. Personally, I liked KR on the whole, and I played exclusively with it for several months, until I got to the point where I just didn't have the patience for dying constantly due to the client dropping down to about 2-3 FPS in crowded areas. If the devs can get this client so that it actually runs smoothly on my machine, chances are excellent I'll use it, but I'm not going to bother with a new client if it can't even run smoothly in Zento.
I had this problem at first about the stuttering. Turning Vsync on and bumping the FPS up to 60 ended it. As far as the champ spawns go, me and the wife have both been doing Champ runs since last night lol. Not a single crash, no stutter, nada. It's ran like a dream.

G

guum

I had this problem at first about the stuttering. Turning Vsync on and bumping the FPS up to 60 ended it. As far as the champ spawns go, me and the wife have both been doing Champ runs since last night lol. Not a single crash, no stutter, nada. It's ran like a dream.
Just tried this. Didn't fix it for me. Thanks for the suggestion though. I also bumped all the graphics settings down to low/none, which seemed to make more of a difference, but it's still jerky like an old monster movie.

S

slavoie

This is what confuses me. Having played KR, 2D and now SA......... what do you mean by slow, laggy and hard to use? KR ran smoother than 2D ever did, well after some tweaks. SA is running faster and smoother than 2D as well and haven't even tweaked it yet outside of the user settings in game.

2D was stable

KR was faster and smoother

SA seems to have the stability of 2D and the performance of KR so far.

What are youre comp specs if I may ask? That may be why we see the clients so differently.

character movement and mouse movement. The mouse moves choppy accross the screen, its hard for me to direct my character, everything moves slower. Lagg with the client.

I dont have the same issues with the 2d client. I guess I need to try some tweeks with it and get used to it but its hard for me to fight things with it.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
probably not relevant, but maybe worth mentioning. My pc is old, and can't run it at all unless I do one thing. I turn off 'show frame' in windowed mode. It makes an incredible difference for me.

G

guum

probably not relevant, but maybe worth mentioning. My pc is old, and can't run it at all unless I do one thing. I turn off 'show frame' in windowed mode. It makes an incredible difference for me.
No help for me there...actually the best performance I've gotten so far is running in fullscreen mode, which is *almost* tolerable. But every few seconds it still snags like a sweater caught on a nail.

D

Deb

My biggest thing is it seems fuzzy to me...I love the map and the character
sheet. Still setting things up.
It doesn't seem as crisp...but it could be me not having settings proper or I know this is still beta.

T

TheGrayGhost

character movement and mouse movement. The mouse moves choppy accross the screen, its hard for me to direct my character, everything moves slower. Lagg with the client.

I dont have the same issues with the 2d client. I guess I need to try some tweeks with it and get used to it but its hard for me to fight things with it.
Yeah going to go with difference in systems then. For me on an i7 with a ATI 4850 I haven't had any of that.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I just really hate the graphics. Its all very fuzzy, jerky, and I see lots of tiles blinking (probably because this is a beta).

One thing I did like, though, is the ability to see other peoples' suits of armor.

BTeng_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No help for me there...actually the best performance I've gotten so far is running in fullscreen mode, which is *almost* tolerable. But every few seconds it still snags like a sweater caught on a nail.
We have another optimization pass going in the next patch. Hopefully that will help with the hitching.

O

Old Man of UO

My biggest thing is it seems fuzzy to me...I love the map and the character
sheet. Still setting things up.
It doesn't seem as crisp...but it could be me not having settings proper or I know this is still beta.
Try turning off the shadows... it takes away the "fuzzies" for me.

G

guum

We have another optimization pass going in the next patch. Hopefully that will help with the hitching.
I'm assuming you meant this patch today. Just wanted to update: there's a small improvement in the hitching problem in full screen (instead of step-step-step-step-big jump, it's step-small jump-step-small jump-step-small jump, etc.), and no noticeable improvement in windowed mode -- still pretty much unplayable in windowed.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Serafi, I believe it is the closed doors on the lower floor of the castle preventing movement above, but I have no idea why.... try opening the doors and running upstairs, you'll see what I mean

Tried it, and yes - it IS the door on the first floor that blocks movement on the second.

on the back walkway there is just one tile blocked because the doors below are not centered under that walk
Not sure what you mean. I have the same blocking of movement in the NE corner of the castle, but there isn´t any door below there.

Today I found out that the goza stairs I have made up to the roof no longer works, as the characters drops off half way up. Might be differences in the axis.. or something.

I finally got some real playtime in today and headed off to the Dojo with an archer, convinced the client would quit on me sometime during that hunt. It didn`t, thankfully - and responded well. I am playing on a PC that was bought to run AoC on full settings, so I haven`t experienced any of the problems others are seeing with playability in that regard. However, it always crash when clicking the quit button.

I am starting to notice more graphical glitches, and have been busy checking characters and their respective paperdolls and sending off bug reports.