• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fire beetle builds

SouthPaw

Lore Master
You're mostly going to find fire beetles with rune corruption, poison, and either armor ignore or armor pierce. They can't get magics like chivalry or mysticism so you won't find much variation in fire beetle builds.

Turkish

Journeyman
Yeah, my Fire Beetles are Poison, RC, and AI.

What I wanted to do, was to leave dex at 125 (but set stam to 150) so that I can squeeze every point possible into Strength. Since they come with overcapped Int, it seems they have to have a shortage somewhere but on the last 2 builds I forgot and capped Dex.

Can fire beetle have FWW? That could be a good alternative over AI if you are fighting mobs with very low fire resist.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

What I wanted to do, was to leave dex at 125 (but set stam to 150) so that I can squeeze every point possible into Strength. Since they come with overcapped Int, it seems they have to have a shortage somewhere but on the last 2 builds I forgot and capped Dex.

Can fire beetle have FWW? That could be a good alternative over AI if you are fighting mobs with very low fire resist.
FWW is always physical damage, even if the pet is something other like a fire beetle.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

I've not been that tight on points that I couldn't get str to 678 (cap for bugs) with dex being 150.

Fire bugs can get FWW, it's not a magic, it's a move. You can even scroll Ninja after you add it. The real question is why? As Obsidian said, it's a physical damage move, while fire bugs are 100% fire damage. FWW might be something to consider for a giant bug, which is 100% physical damage.

On a side note, I'm trying Feint on a fire bug. I'm curious to see how it does. The only goof I made was I added poisoning when I didn't want it. I only wanted RC and Feint. But I'll still try this Poisoning, RC, Feint fire bug just the same.

Turkish

Journeyman
I've not been that tight on points that I couldn't get str to 678 (cap for bugs) with dex being 150.
It wasn't so much the training point concern, as it was the cap for stats and trying to get as much STR as possible on the beetle. I just checked it out on the UO CAH calculator to see if there would be a difference and if you kept dex at 125 and that enables you to raise STR to a whopping 679...haha. So I guess it doesn't actually matter.

Thanks for the tip on FWW. That is good info to know.

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good evening, Turkish, There are a few temp solutions to getting around the 678 str cap of the beetle... sadly its due to the starting 500 int they spawn with..One tip I always give my guildies and most friends that run eval in their spec is to bless your pet and then yourself(you bless yourself so you have a timer of the bless to redo it on your pet)... depending on the amount of eval this increases the str to at least 752 if the eval is at least GM and abit more at higher lvls.. its a soild damage increase to normal melee damage as well as armor ignore,Fww, and many other melee classics...If you run with a bard using their mastery songs is also a nice boon... Then there is one of my favorite ways which is good for short fights or the last bit of EM events... and that's feeding the beetle a tasty treat(last 20 mins).. It increases the beetles str to 711 just alittle over shy of what most pets have... if you follow it up with a GM eval bless buff the beetle will be up to 785 str nearly a 3-6ish% damage increase in most cases(depending on if you stack the two,if the pets starting base str is higher, and your eval lvl).. but it can vary.. you can get tasty treats from merchant ships, T Chest(for now they are redoing the system and not sure if they will still be in them.. but one of the better ways is the quest given by Thepem the Apprentice - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia You can do the tasty treat quest once per day on all yours toons..its short and sweet and gives one per.. sadly they don't stack in your bag..but its nice to have for events and boss fights... great way to make the damage list... here is another link that might help for them Tasty Treats - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia .. I hope this helps mate... now I must be off.. was just on during breathing treatment.. if you have anymore questions feel free to post here or message me and I will be glad to help in anyway I can.. until then have a delightful day..=^-^=
P.S. had to edit post..forgot kitty face...just not a post from me if its not blocky and if kitty face is not there ^_~

Last edited:

Turkish

Journeyman
Good evening, Turkish, There are a few temp solutions to getting around the 678 str cap of the beetle... sadly its due to the starting 500 int they spawn with..One tip I always give my guildies and most friends that run eval in their spec is to bless your pet and then yourself(you bless yourself so you have a timer of the bless to redo it on your pet)... depending on the amount of eval this increases the str to at least 752 if the eval is at least GM and abit more at higher lvls.. its a soild damage increase to normal melee damage as well as armor ignore,Fww, and many other melee classics...If you run with a bard using their mastery songs is also a nice boon... Then there is one of my favorite ways which is good for short fights or the last bit of EM events... and that's feeding the beetle a tasty treat(last 20 mins).. It increases the beetles str to 711 just alittle over shy of what most pets have... if you follow it up with a GM eval bless buff the beetle will be up to 785 str nearly a 3-6ish% damage increase in most cases(depending on if you stack the two,if the pets starting base str is higher, and your eval lvl).. but it can vary.. you can get tasty treats from merchant ships, T Chest(for now they are redoing the system and not sure if they will still be in them.. but one of the better ways is the quest given by Thepem the Apprentice - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia You can do the tasty treat quest once per day on all yours toons..its short and sweet and gives one per.. sadly they don't stack in your bag..but its nice to have for events and boss fights... great way to make the damage list... here is another link that might help for them Tasty Treats - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia .. I hope this helps mate... now I must be off.. was just on during breathing treatment.. if you have anymore questions feel free to post here or message me and I will be glad to help in anyway I can.. until then have a delightful day..=^-^=
P.S. had to edit post..forgot kitty face...just not a post from me if its not blocky and if kitty face is not there ^_~
Fantastic, thanks for this Donavon.

Turkish

Journeyman
where do you guys train the beetles off the get go? they die so easily lol
One slots can be a pain for their first round. I keep a 3 slot cu in my stables as a tank for my 1 slots. I ride into the crazed mage on my beetle, sick the Cu on the mage as tank, then dismount and have my beetle attack. It is quite a slow process, but they rarely die (unless something happens to my cu. I suspect having a 2 or 3 slot Triton would work just as well, and potentially better as the tank in this situation.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I do the same thing as Turkish said.
While I don’t have any evidence to back this up, but I’ll also go and skill up the bug to GM skill and hopefully 125 stamina and dexterity. It feels like the first round goes faster when I do that.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've found using a beetle and a 4 slot pet while using the as one mastery works well. I'll cast as one and send beetle in. This works well on an allasaurus. Beetle gains faster because it takes damage as well was does damage.

Turkish

Journeyman
I do the same thing as Turkish said.
While I don’t have any evidence to back this up, but I’ll also go and skill up the bug to GM skill and hopefully 125 stamina and dexterity. It feels like the first round goes faster when I do that.
Yeah I forgot about that part. Sometimes I skill the stam at Gregorio but lately I've been doing it with the Spectral Spellbinders. After the pet hits 100 resist spells the stam seems to raise really quickly and you don't need to worry about healing the pet.

I've found using a beetle and a 4 slot pet while using the as one mastery works well. I'll cast as one and send beetle in. This works well on an allasaurus. Beetle gains faster because it takes damage as well was does damage.
I've never tried this one! I'll have to give it a shot on my next one slot pet.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah I forgot about that part. Sometimes I skill the stam at Gregorio but lately I've been doing it with the Spectral Spellbinders. After the pet hits 100 resist spells the stam seems to raise really quickly and you don't need to worry about healing the pet.

I've never tried this one! I'll have to give it a shot on my next one slot pet.
You can also run the beetle and two 2 slot pets with high resists high HPs to cut down on the beetles damage intake. I actually have an EJ tamer account specificly with that setup and it works really well.

dingomate

Seasoned Veteran
hey how are you guys setting up the resists on the fire beets?

was thinking balanced approach maybe 80/71/71/71/71 or something, what do you guys do?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Pirates. I get the DEX/Stam up to 125 first with Spectral Spellbinders, then sick it on a Dread Pirate while throwing heals on it as needed. 1 slot Fire Beetle will go from 0-100% on a Dread Pirate.

hey how are you guys setting up the resists on the fire beets?

was thinking balanced approach maybe 80/71/71/71/71 or something, what do you guys do?
80/80/65/60/80. Not all Resists are equal, some Elemental damage is far more common than others. Physical > Fire > Energy > Cold > Poison.

I recently made a new 5 slot Fire Beetle on my Tamer/Mage on Napa, and i gave it just RC+AI. I deliberately left the Poisoning off, because i want it using RC and AI more. I have a RC+AI+Poisoning Fire Beetle on Atlantic, and i'm not pleased with the decrease in it's RC use once i added Poisoning to it.

dingomate

Seasoned Veteran
The dex goes up on it's own? or do you have to adjust that with points? They do hit slow with 57 dex at the beginning...

I'm planning to do strictly RC and AI only because of the point you made, PlayerskillFTW.

Do you have ninjitsu or bushido on that?

Also how much HP/Mana do you have on that beetle which resides on Napa?

Turkish

Journeyman
The dex goes up on it's own? or do you have to adjust that with points? They do hit slow with 57 dex at the beginning...

I'm planning to do strictly RC and AI only because of the point you made, PlayerskillFTW.

The Dex and stam will go up on its own while in combat until 125. Then you will have to use training points to raise to 150.

Turkish

Journeyman
Yes, I wouldn't use any points on dex or stam until you have raised it naturally to 125. Unless you know exactly what build you want and have plenty of points, I suppose.

dingomate

Seasoned Veteran
Ok cool, thx. I will take that into consideration as I progress. Already burned a beetle training it, 2nd time will be the charm :D

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

No Ninjitsu/Bushido, Fire Beetles can't get those Magical abilities. Only through FWW, Feint, or Bladeweave can they get the skills, and my Fire Beetles don't have those.
The Napa Fire Beetle has 772 Health/500 Mana.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I’m testing a RC only fire beetle build. As much as I would like AI, I think maxing the time the debuff is active would be better for group play.

For those that play with AI/RC, do you find RC is up constantly even with the mixed in AI?

-OBSIDIAN-

dingomate

Seasoned Veteran
Interesting. What kind of regens do you guys put on the beetles? Same as Cu?

20 hp regen
5 stam regen
30 mana regen

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I find 600 hp is great for me, and is what i aim for on most pets. I get antsy at 500, and really paranoid below 400 hp.

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good evening all, I forgot in an earlier post here to warn everyone about a bug that surrounds the tasty treats... Its been there since the start and still often plagues players...Basicly if you use a tasty treat make sure you will be online and in game for the full 20 mins.. as if you feed the pet one , stable it , and log off there is a chance it will recoil... meaning if you log off and come back later it will of worn off and the stats will be - the amount they were buffed.. Now this normally is not a big deal as after a reset they normally returns to normal... But in some cases The dex being lowered to 143 also causes the stam to lower to 143 ..Now the dex returns to 150..… but often the stam doesn't. meaning that pet has just perma lost about 5% swing... Some of my pets have got the stam back.. while others like My AI,FWW,RC beetle is stuck at 143 stam.. Just wanted to toss out this warning..as its never a good thing to see this happen to a pet … Hope everyone has a delightful day.. just giving you a head up.. =^-^=

dingomate

Seasoned Veteran
It seems like 650-700 is more than enough mana for these. 120x beetle regens fairly quickly at 502 int and 30 mana regen. Tried to max out hp with rest of points, ended up at 800. Part of me wants to add the poisoning but not sure yet, saving points for now.

I’m testing a RC only fire beetle build. As much as I would like AI, I think maxing the time the debuff is active would be better for group play.

For those that play with AI/RC, do you find RC is up constantly even with the mixed in AI?

-OBSIDIAN-
I am in the same boat, but my question revolves around how much Mana does a bug use for Poisoning? I know a bug at GM Poisoning will auto cure itself which would be very handy. Also I imagine poisoning will cause it's target to waste time and mana curing itself. I would really like to take Poisoning.

Currently my pet looks like this, I intend to 120 it eventually Pet Planner | uo-cah.com

So it seems there is plenty of room for 100 Poisoning, then 120 Skills, then dump remaining in HP/Mana. I was also thinking about taking Armor Pierce, but my main goal is to have RC up as much as possible, this will not be a solo pet. This Pet will be with a 3x 120 Bard, the ultima debuff machine hehe.

Anyone have experience with mana requirements of Poisoning? Anyone have experience with Armor Pierce?

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Duration is reduced, and they can shake off lower level piisons. High level poisons will still be bothersome.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Duration is reduced, and they can shake off lower level piisons. High level poisons will still be bothersome.
Yep. So you will want to keep the poisoning skill always at 100 to be able to deliver the highest level. So if pet gets killed and goes to 99.8 always go to the slugs or other and quickly get it to GM again..

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
More in relation to auto cure. Its not an auto cure. Your pet can still be poisoned.

Ive argued about this with someone else who read info wrong, he thought his pet was immune to poison at gm.

Dont want misinformation.